You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Midwestern University C/O 2019 Applicants
Started by Fly Racing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Jilary - I totally understand where you are coming from. I cringed at the thought of missing two days of work. I'll be spending 2 days there as well trying to spend as little as possible. Trying to think of it as a mini vacation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't heard anything yet.. But I interviewed on the 22nd. I keep checking my portal though just to see.
Do you mind sharing any info about hwo the interview went? Any specific questions they asked that stood out? What you thought of the school? I am interviewing next week and getting pretty excited/nervous lol.I haven't heard anything yet.. But I interviewed on the 22nd. I keep checking my portal though just to see.
I interviewed on the 22nd and two different people said two different things - someone said we'd hear back by today before 5 pm, someone else said by next monday. 🙁
Me toooo 🙂
Accepted!!!
Did yalls accepted student check list show up?
I feel like there's going to be a great deal of celebration on this thread tonight.
yippee!!!! we are going to be doctors!
Congratulations!! Woot-woot!!
Congrats everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was with ya! I *think* I remember meeting you. You're the one who said the thing about lifting the 200lb dog right?
Went to 2 schools:
BS Animal Behavior from 1st school, Cum GPA 3.15 ( ouch )
Post-Bacc from 2nd school, no degree, GPA 3.3-ish ( less ouch, but still meh.. )
Never actually calculated my science GPA, but that's too annoying since I retook a lot of classes.
GRE - took this in 2011, don't remember my %'s but remember my V/Q scores : V 680 Q 720
5 years experience working as a vet tech in high school-college (in a GP)
Did lots of research in undergrad - song learning in zebra finches, horse nutrition/air-quality studies, some stuff with goats and cows, too, some other stuff with plant pathology briefly, worked in research labs, participated in horse training and research program
After college - ~2 years working as a trainer/rehabilitator at a dog rescue, working with shelter orgs to pull sick dogs out, rehab them
(Started 2nd college for post-bacc)
After that - 2 years experience working as a vet tech (in an emergency practice)
BS Animal Behavior from 1st school, Cum GPA 3.15 ( ouch )
Post-Bacc from 2nd school, no degree, GPA 3.3-ish ( less ouch, but still meh.. )
Never actually calculated my science GPA, but that's too annoying since I retook a lot of classes.
GRE - took this in 2011, don't remember my %'s but remember my V/Q scores : V 680 Q 720
5 years experience working as a vet tech in high school-college (in a GP)
Did lots of research in undergrad - song learning in zebra finches, horse nutrition/air-quality studies, some stuff with goats and cows, too, some other stuff with plant pathology briefly, worked in research labs, participated in horse training and research program
After college - ~2 years working as a trainer/rehabilitator at a dog rescue, working with shelter orgs to pull sick dogs out, rehab them
(Started 2nd college for post-bacc)
After that - 2 years experience working as a vet tech (in an emergency practice)
I was with ya! I *think* I remember meeting you. You're the one who said the thing about lifting the 200lb dog right?
I was! Any way I could remember you?
I was the one who talked about rock climbing, hahaI was! Any way I could remember you?
Anyone planning on interviewing on 12/10? I'll be there!
I got accepted!! Congrats to all who have been!
My stats:
undergrad in animal science 3.3
grad work (certification in nonprofit admin & masters of biomedical science)- 3.9
Worked in an animal diagnostics lab, shadow for equine vet, worked at small animal clinic
Gre:
153 on both parts and 4.5 on writing (meh)
undergrad in animal science 3.3
grad work (certification in nonprofit admin & masters of biomedical science)- 3.9
Worked in an animal diagnostics lab, shadow for equine vet, worked at small animal clinic
Gre:
153 on both parts and 4.5 on writing (meh)
I couldn't find the facebook page
For those accepted, I created a facebook group. Go and search: Midwestern University Veterinary Medicine Class Of 2019
I couldn't find the facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/503522323083725/ - don't know if that will help or not.... if you want, you can add me as a friend on fb and then I'll add you...search for Marina Bluth
https://www.facebook.com/groups/503522323083725/ - don't know if that will help or not.... if you want, you can add me as a friend on fb and then I'll add you...search for Marina Bluth
Added you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm I interviewed on the 8th and still haven't heard anything. Does that mean I probably wasn't accepted? How did you guys find out?
Yeah I've been checking that portal regularly. It just says the same thing it always says under the accepted student checklist, which is "This checklist is available to accepted applicants" and nothing else. Shouldn't they email decisions too?
Under the matriculation agreement it says "We were unable to find your information." I'm not sure if this is a straight rejection, if there's something wrong with my application, or if they just haven't made a decision yet.
Kathleen, you can call and ask admissions for your status. It sounds like you are on the waitlist/alternate list which is composed of students interviewed and not immediately accepted. This may have changed, but last year a classmate told me they gave each alternate a score which allowed them to be ranked against other alternates as the list grows throughout the year. I wouldn't lose hope. They need to do this to keep from over accepting. When people start turning down offers in the spring, alternates will be bumped up. I heard from admissions last year (not sure I was supposed to be told this) that after the April 15 deadline, they went into the alternate list by 6 people (and overfilled by the class by two people, lol)
oh ok thanks...I just called them and they said I wasn't selected 🙁, but good luck to everyone else!
I brought a professional portfolio with a tablet in it I could take notes on. I put my phone/id in it as well so I didn't have to carry a purse or bring anything else besides that with me. You don't need a resume or anything like that because they have your application right there. Honestly, it was such a relaxed interview. Just go in confident, know how to answer generic questions about yourself, why you want to be a veterinarian, and review your application and you should be fine. The people interviewing me were so nice that it instantly took my nerves away!
I brought a professional portfolio with a tablet in it I could take notes on. I put my phone/id in it as well so I didn't have to carry a purse or bring anything else besides that with me. You don't need a resume or anything like that because they have your application right there. Honestly, it was such a relaxed interview. Just go in confident, know how to answer generic questions about yourself, why you want to be a veterinarian, and review your application and you should be fine. The people interviewing me were so nice that it instantly took my nerves away!
Ah thank you so much for your reply! I just got last minute fears thinking I might look unprepared for missing something. I've been doing mock interviews and reviewing everything so hopefully that'll help 🙂

PLEASE don't bring notes into your interview. There was one girl when I was interviewing at Ohio State who said she LOOKED THINGS UP about current events in her portfolio during her interview. We were all mortified. Just know your application well, and you'll be fine. I would suggest not bringing anything in with you other than a bottle of water (great way to pause to think about questions before answering!). You may find yourself fidgeting, or worse, being the laughingstock of the interview season otherwise 😛 Good luck 🙂
PLEASE don't bring notes into your interview. There was one girl when I was interviewing at Ohio State who said she LOOKED THINGS UP about current events in her portfolio during her interview. We were all mortified. Just know your application well, and you'll be fine. I would suggest not bringing anything in with you other than a bottle of water (great way to pause to think about questions before answering!). You may find yourself fidgeting, or worse, being the laughingstock of the interview season otherwise 😛 Good luck 🙂
Ah, I was planning to bring a notebook to take notes since in email they said there'll be opportunities to learn more about financial aid and such. So I assumed there might be some sort of presentation, hmm. Oh god, I definitely won't take out my notebook in the interview though to look up anything. If I don't know something I'll say I don't know and hope that my honest answer will pay off 😀 thanks so much!!
Yeah I took notes during the informational session and brought my notebook in with me but didn't reference it during the interview at all! Make sure you have questions prepared to ask them. My interviewer said "well we have a minute and a half left, what questions do you have? If you don't have questions thats not a good thing" (thankfully I had prepared at least 5 good ones)
Oh yes, definitely appropriate to bring something with you to write notes in during presentations. I would just not recommend bringing anything in with you to the actual interview 🙂Ah, I was planning to bring a notebook to take notes since in email they said there'll be opportunities to learn more about financial aid and such. So I assumed there might be some sort of presentation, hmm. Oh god, I definitely won't take out my notebook in the interview though to look up anything. If I don't know something I'll say I don't know and hope that my honest answer will pay off 😀 thanks so much!!
Thank you all! SDN always eases my nerves. 😀
Oh yes, I am now trying to come up with good questions to ask them actually. Kinda hard because I emailed admissions people so many times with questions before that I feel like I asked everything
But definitely will look around their website a lil more and come up with some.
Thank you guys!
Oh yes, I am now trying to come up with good questions to ask them actually. Kinda hard because I emailed admissions people so many times with questions before that I feel like I asked everything
But definitely will look around their website a lil more and come up with some. Thank you guys!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
International programs. Always a good go-to when you run out of actual questions.Thank you all! SDN always eases my nerves. 😀
Oh yes, I am now trying to come up with good questions to ask them actually. Kinda hard because I emailed admissions people so many times with questions before that I feel like I asked everythingBut definitely will look around their website a lil more and come up with some.
Thank you guys!
I got an interesting letter that maybe someone can shed some light on?? It's not positive or negative, it said : "your application will continue to be presented to the MWU-CVM admissions committee and may at some point recieve an interview invitation. Your application was deemed to possess enough merit to be held for further review and this should be seen as a positive result." When I got this letter it was skinny and I was 100% sure it was a rejection. Needless to say I'm happy/sad but it's def better than nothing. I'm super non-traditional so I will take whatever I can get.
I got an interesting letter that maybe someone can shed some light on?? It's not positive or negative, it said : "your application will continue to be presented to the MWU-CVM admissions committee and may at some point recieve an interview invitation. Your application was deemed to possess enough merit to be held for further review and this should be seen as a positive result." When I got this letter it was skinny and I was 100% sure it was a rejection. Needless to say I'm happy/sad but it's def better than nothing. I'm super non-traditional so I will take whatever I can get.
Do you mind saying when you were verified and when you received the letter?
Don't mind at all I was verified 9/15 and I recieved the letter on 10/17Do you mind saying when you were verified and when you received the letter?
Muffin, that letter means you are on the "waitlist". It's confusing but important to know that MWU distinguishes between waitlist and alternate unlike most schools. "Waitlist" means on the waitlist for an interview and "alternate" is an interviewed applicant on the waitlist for a seat in the class. Confusing right? According to last year's thread, waitlist interviews were done late spring and I don't remember if any of those converted straight to acceptances. You could read through that thread if interested.
