Might transfer next year - what do I need to do to stay competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted826437

Hello all,

I am making this post to seek guidance/advice about the activities and relationships that I should prioritize during my next 2 years as a transfer student (and whether or not its a terrible idea).

I am currently in my second year at a regional university and majoring in Biology, with intentions of going to medical school. While I have by no means had a terrible experience at my current school, I have been disappointed by the lack of community on my campus and I am fearful that I might miss my only shot at being a part of a community that has diverse passions, truly cares about making a difference, loves to learn, and loves their school, so I am leaning towards transferring in the fall, in hopes of finding this.

So far, I believe that I have made pretty good progress as far as stats/EC's relevant for med school apps:

- will have 500+ hours of bench research experience by this summer (w/ 1 state and 1 international level conference poster presentations + possible publication in a minor journal)
- T.A. as a sophomore.
- led an after school sports program for local refugees.
- Volunteered regularly with a barrier reduction program that works improve access to healthcare for refugees with mental health disorder.
- Developed very close relationships with a professor/research mentor (PI), and the director of our honors college (also a professor of mine but not in my major).
-Cumulative GPA of 3.80 (will improve next semester).

so here are my questions:

-I love my research, but if I transfer, should I focus on gaining patient care/contact/med exposure, rather than focusing my efforts on joining a new lab? All of my EC's are pretty lopsided in favor of research lab time, so is this something that I need to work on compensating for?
-As a transfer, how relevant would LORs from my current (pre-transfer) university professors? Are they as valuable/necessary? How many should I have from each school?
-How important is it that I show continuity, as far as my volunteer interests, if at all?
-Should I just suck it up and stay at my commuter school so that I don't jeopardize my application?
-Do you think I can find the type of community that I am looking for in medical school, instead? Diverse, school spirit, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

What? You want to transfer b/c "I might miss my only shot at being a part of a community that has diverse passions, truly cares about making a difference, loves to learn, and loves their school". Why? I don't get it. You seem like a naive kid who has an idealized notion of college, and are upset because it isn't exactly how you imagined it to be. Try to be more social at your uni, I'm sure you can find people who fit this description, you might just have to venture outside of the biology department/your research lab.

But dude, you're set. You have your foot in the door in a productive lab, you're getting good grades, you're volunteering yada yada yada, and you're not even through your second year. I personally wouldn't transfer, just for the reason that your grades may suffer in the transition, and it would be difficult to form some of these connections again. Just get some clinical experience/volunteering, and study hard for the MCAT when that comes around. I would transfer if you are truly unhappy. When you get to med school, you will be with more like-minded people.

It would be more admiral to improve your community around those that don't care versus those that do.