Military HPSP Dentist Pay After Graduating from Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillmakesuretopass

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I wanted to ask how much do General Dentists make in the military after graduating from Dental School like their first year.

1. We get base pay as captain of approximately $4,500.
2. We get paid Basic Housing Allowance and Basic Allowance for Subsistence

My question is do we get incentive pay like $1,000 - $1,200 if we were in the HPSP program or do we only get the Incentive pay if we join the military after graduating from Dental School.

So overall I just want to have an estimate of how much I would be making if I graduate through HPSP.

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

You have a $20k annual bonus split monthly, no “stipend”:

Monthly pay
Base pay $4,637
Bonus $1,667
BAS (food) $280
BAH (housing) depends on ZIP code and if you have dependents but say you’re in DC and married it’s $3,000

Total monthly pay $9,584
Total annual pay $115k

The big variable will be housing, if you’re single in the middle of nowhere that $3k/month becomes $1k/mo

You’ll get better answers in the future posting in the military SDN group here

Monthly pay
Base pay $4,637
Bonus $1,667
BAS (food) $280
BAH (housing) depends on ZIP code and if you have dependents but say you’re in DC and married it’s $3,000

Total monthly pay $9,584
Total annual pay $115k

The big variable will be housing, if you’re single in the middle of nowhere that $3k/month becomes $1k/mo

Even though it’s not much compared to civilian dentists imo that’s life changing money along with no debt

Members don't see this ad :)
As a single person I'd say you will net a little over $6k on average per month(close to $6,300-$6,400) in most duty stations. BAH and BAS are non-taxable btw.

Monthly pay
Base pay $4,637
Bonus $1,667
BAS (food) $280

Total monthly pay $9,584
Total annual pay $115k

Thank you. What is the name of military group so I can move this post there.

Also everyone do you know if there is a minimum gpa requirement once we are in dental school for HPSP. I know we can't fail exams but do they have like a minimum gpa we must maintain? @NavyDentist2 @D1Bound @ArmyOralSurgery
As long as you don’t repeat the year the military will never know any of this stuff…if you repeat, they pause your scholarship and you take out loans for the repeat year then the resume your scholarship after that, it shouldn’t get to that point however

As long as you don’t repeat the year the military will never know any of this stuff…if you repeat, they pause your scholarship and you take out loans for the repeat year then the resume your scholarship after that, it shouldn’t get to that point however
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.