Military HPSP

Started by rladbwjdtl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm really surprised... my recruiter assured me that there are always plenty of spots, and said that not all of the 4-year Army scholarships were taken last year. I can't believe they'd have that many more applicants this year.

This is going to be rough since applications for scholarships are due the 15th for my school and I haven't done anything since I assumed I'd just use HPSP. Guess I'll just hope to hear good news tomorrow.
 
What is the OML, and what were you stats? I haven't heard anything back yet either...
I had to call my recruiter. My official status is "pending" but my recruiter said he got an automated email saying I was put on OML. OML is order of merit list....basically a waitlist. I would call your recruiter and ask about your status.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really surprised... my recruiter assured me that there are always plenty of spots, and said that not all of the 4-year Army scholarships were taken last year. I can't believe they'd have that many more applicants this year.

This is going to be rough since applications for scholarships are due the 15th for my school and I haven't done anything since I assumed I'd just use HPSP. Guess I'll just hope to hear good news tomorrow.

If you were put on OML like me your recruiter probably already got the news. For some reason recruiters always say they will call you when they find out something but they never do
 
I emailed them last week and they said they'd call me once they found out, so I'll wait till tomorrow or Wednesday before I call. Any idea how likely it is that you'll get off the OML?

Edit: You posted about calling before I finished up this post

Edit 2: I don't think I'd even be able to get a scholarship from my state school with a 3.54 GPA and 20 DAT. The DAT is fine, but my GPA is significantly lower than other applicants, and my EC's are just average.
 
I emailed them last week and they said they'd call me once they found out, so I'll wait till tomorrow or Wednesday before I call. Any idea how likely it is that you'll get off the OML?

Edit: You posted about calling before I finished up this post

Edit 2: I don't think I'd even be able to get a scholarship from my state school with a 3.54 GPA and 20 DAT. The DAT is fine, but my GPA is significantly lower than other applicants, and my EC's are just average.

I don't think they really care about your ECs...the application reserved such a tiny section for it. I just listed as many as I can. Let me know what you find out about your application. Good luck to you. If you happen to fall in the same case as me, let me know what your recruiter says about getting off the waitlist, whether it means you'll be offered the 3 year scholarship in the fall, etc

Edit: I didn't see your initial question about my stats...it's 3.64 21AA
 
I emailed them last week and they said they'd call me once they found out, so I'll wait till tomorrow or Wednesday before I call. Any idea how likely it is that you'll get off the OML?

Edit: You posted about calling before I finished up this post

Edit 2: I don't think I'd even be able to get a scholarship from my state school with a 3.54 GPA and 20 DAT. The DAT is fine, but my GPA is significantly lower than other applicants, and my EC's are just average.

What do you mean your GPA is significantly lower than other applicants? How high are we talking here?

Although I have a high DAT, my GPA is only a 3.63. You think that's going to be a problem?

@Jaesango you think they care mostly about DAT/GPA?
 
What do you mean your GPA is significantly lower than other applicants? How high are we talking here?

Although I have a high DAT, my GPA is only a 3.63. You think that's going to be a problem?

@Jaesango you think they care mostly about DAT/GPA?

I'm almost positive they really only care about your DAT/GPA/Statement/LOR. The EC portion was just the icing on the cake. Doubt whatever you put will make that big of a difference.

@aqz did you apply for the jan 28th board? If so, have you found out anything about your status yet?
 
Just talked to my recruiter today. She said there are 70 total scholarships for the army and 5 have officially been taken. I am pretty sure this is not including the result of january board.
 
I'm almost positive they really only care about your DAT/GPA/Statement/LOR. The EC portion was just the icing on the cake. Doubt whatever you put will make that big of a difference.

@aqz did you apply for the jan 28th board? If so, have you found out anything about your status yet?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm strictly applying for the Air Force HPSP. I just submitted my application today actually, so not that far into the process. Board meets sometime in March.

However, I'm sure if the Army requires something a lot higher than a 3.54 GPA, then I would be a little worried about my 3.63 for the Air Force haha.
 
Before when I mentioned scholarships, I was referring to applying for school scholarships if I don't get HPSP, which I'm saying my stats are probably too low for. However, If you got put on OML with 3.64 and 21 AA, that doesn't look too good for me with 3.54 and 20 AA for the Army HPSP. I had good LOR, but I strongly doubt that plays a huge role in their decision.

Just talked to my recruiter today. She said there are 70 total scholarships for the army and 5 have officially been taken. I am pretty sure this is not including the result of january board.

I can't imagine there would be 65 spots given out for only the January board. This isn't supposed to be a coming thing people sign up for. Well w/e, I will keep you all posted, and @Jaesango, I will tell you what my recruiter says if I end up on OML.
 
Before when I mentioned scholarships, I was referring to applying for school scholarships if I don't get HPSP, which I'm saying my stats are probably too low for. However, If you got put on OML with 3.64 and 21 AA, that doesn't look too good for me with 3.54 and 20 AA for the Army HPSP. I had good LOR, but I strongly doubt that plays a huge role in their decision.



I can't imagine there would be 65 spots given out for only the January board. This isn't supposed to be a coming thing people sign up for. Well w/e, I will keep you all posted, and @Jaesango, I will tell you what my recruiter says if I end up on OML.

I read up a little on it from a similar thread from last year. The 5 taken do not include the "pending" cases which are offers that have not yet been committed to. From the previous thread it seems that some people were put on OML even though not all scholarships were given out...just seems odd...I don't think I had any red flags on my application...
 
Man that is disheartening, idk why they would leave empty spots like that. Let me know if you hear anything else - hope you can still get the HPSP scholarship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From my recruiter today:

As soon as I hear anything I will let you know. It sounds like it
was a huge board though. I do know that no was a none select as of now. So
they are going to offer you a scholarship or place you on the OML.

Apparently OML is simply a waitlist. Good luck to everyone!
 
From my recruiter today:

As soon as I hear anything I will let you know. It sounds like it
was a huge board though. I do know that no was a none select as of now. So
they are going to offer you a scholarship or place you on the OML.

Apparently OML is simply a waitlist. Good luck to everyone!
Thanks for the update. I just hope I'm somewhere on the top of the waitlist...lol

@tduffy4 congrats! Don't take it and give it to me! lol jk
 
My recruiter emailed me today and said that they began the waitlist and there are 6 people on it. This list is based on merit and not on time of application.
 
My recruiter emailed me today and said that they began the waitlist and there are 6 people on it. This list is based on merit and not on time of application.

Wow...6 people on the OML?? This can't be including this board i'm assuming since the "official" results aren't out yet, right? My recruiter said although it stills says "pending" for my status, he received an automatic generated email stating the waitlisting.
He also said another student (dental) who applied for this past board got the email for waitlist as well. So if the waitlist only has 6 people that means 2/6 people on the waitlist are from my recruiter's station 🙁
 
Wow...6 people on the OML?? This can't be including this board i'm assuming since the "official" results aren't out yet, right? My recruiter said although it stills says "pending" for my status, he received an automatic generated email stating the waitlisting.
He also said another student (dental) who applied for this past board got the email for waitlist as well. So if the waitlist only has 6 people that means 2/6 people on the waitlist are from my recruiter's station 🙁

^ I'm hoping they just sent out that email automatically to all the recruiters until all the results are released.
 
Army recruiter told me I was OML'd with no indication of where on the list. My app went through the San Mateo recruiting office, so those who had their app processed though there, you should no today. Coincidentally, Navy recruiter told me that I'm good to go for the next board, so we'll see how that goes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Army recruiter told me I was OML'd with no indication of where on the list. My app went through the San Mateo recruiting office, so those who had their app processed though there, you should no today. Coincidentally, Navy recruiter told me that I'm good to go for the next board, so we'll see how that goes.

Do you know when the next Navy board is? Also, is there still a chance with the Navy?
 
I didn't hear anything from my recruiter today either... I'm starting to get really really anxious about this and just want to know! Hopefully I'm in!! :xf:
 
Last edited:
Looks like about the same stats as you? I wonder what else was on his application...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dat-breakdown-6-1-13.1009321/

Sorry if I'm highjacking your post here power5643, just trying to figure out the threshold for the Army HPSP.

This is driving me crazy with OSU's scholarship application deadline (in case I don't get HPSP) on the 15th :dead:

Yeah similar stats. Little over 3.6 GPA and 21 AA 22 TS. I got 5 recommendation letters (3 from school, 1 from a dentist, 1 from retired army officer). Maybe my father being a retired Air force officer helped?
 
Yeah similar stats. Little over 3.6 GPA and 21 AA 22 TS. I got 5 recommendation letters (3 from school, 1 from a dentist, 1 from retired army officer). Maybe my father being a retired Air force officer helped?


Hmm... this makes me question my recruiter because I asked if I could include a recommendation letter from the dentist I work for and he said they only take 3 and they need to be professors...... 😵
 
Why not just fill out the scholarship application? Better safe than sorry.

I'm leaning towards doing this, but it seems unlikely that I'll be able to get anything with my stats. I'm really busy right now in my final semester with capstone, classes, and other commitments, and I'm just not sure if writing yet another paper is going to be worth the effort.

Hmm... this makes me question my recruiter because I asked if I could include a recommendation letter from the dentist I work for and he said they only take 3 and they need to be professors...... 😵

Interesting... I had to have 3 as well, but one of them was my dentist, 2 professors. My recruiter told me it would be helpful since my dentist was a former HPSP recipient for the Army. I wish all the information given out by recruiters was the same and accurate. Not complaining about my recruiter, as he's been great - but it seems there is a lot of misinformation circulating around.
 
I'm leaning towards doing this, but it seems unlikely that I'll be able to get anything with my stats. I'm really busy right now in my final semester with capstone, classes, and other commitments, and I'm just not sure if writing yet another paper is going to be worth the effort.



Interesting... I had to have 3 as well, but one of them was my dentist, 2 professors. My recruiter told me it would be helpful since my dentist was a former HPSP recipient for the Army. I wish all the information given out by recruiters was the same and accurate. Not complaining about my recruiter, as he's been great - but it seems there is a lot of misinformation circulating around.


I wish all the information was the same too. It stinks because I definitely could have contributed more than 3 and having a dentist letter would have been the best because he knows me really well and it would have been a phenomenal letter. Obviously nothing against powerhouse, I'm just saying if we were in fact allowed to have more letters and ones from different professionals, it would have been nice to know and level the playing field. It'll seem like powerhouse has more people backing him up than I do, when that's probably not the case, see what I mean? 👎
 
I really doubt letters of rec play that big of a role... GPA/DAT is much more important.


I'm not sold 100% on that idea because on this page alone we see two people with very similar GPA/DAT and one got accepted and one waitlisted so the difference has to come from something else.
 
I'm not sold 100% on that idea because on this page alone we see two people with very similar GPA/DAT and one got accepted and one waitlisted so the difference has to come from something else.
Leadership skills and previous experiences leading people is one thing I can see the military factoring heavily into their decision. Possibly even more so than grades and DAT, but those are just my thoughts. I would imagine that potential to provide leadership is extremely important for being an officer in any branch of the military.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know when the next Navy board is? Also, is there still a chance with the Navy?

Navy only has around 20 spots left, I think. Next board is either this week or next week. It's too bad that I missed January board, and all because my MEPs date kept on getting pushed back or cancelled altogether. The sad thing was that when I peeked at my medical record, I was cleared to floor back in December.


I really doubt letters of rec play that big of a role... GPA/DAT is much more important.

My recruiter actually told me to get a different LoR because they didn't think it was good enough. Apparently a LoR making you sound like some golden god really plays well to some board members.
 
Navy only has around 20 spots left, I think. Next board is either this week or next week. It's too bad that I missed January board, and all because my MEPs date kept on getting pushed back or cancelled altogether. The sad thing was that when I peeked at my medical record, I was cleared to floor back in December.




My recruiter actually told me to get a different LoR because they didn't think it was good enough. Apparently a LoR making you sound like some golden god really plays well to some board members.


Thanks for the info. I literally just started my Navy application today...lol. I asked because this is what the Navy recruiter said,

"Will you be able to get me all the documents within 2 weeks. The scholarship will be closing by next month. I will forward you all the requirements needed for the application."

What does that mean the scholarship is closing by next month? 2 weeks is the deadline for the final boards?? Or is he saying that I have to get my application completed to meet the next board meeting? I thought these board meetings went until May or so or at least April.


As for the LOR, my recruiter said the more the better (max of 5). I submitted 1 from my dentist, 2 from my professors, and 2 from my work bosses. My recruiter let me choose which LOR I sent in because I gave him 7 total. From what I read, they made me sound better than I could ever talk about myself and the work letters talked about my ability to lead, etc; so I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is based on. Maybe it's a crapshoot like dental schools, maybe not. Oh well 🙁

@NMC2010 I thought you were going to call your recruiter and ask today
 
@NMC2010 I thought you were going to call your recruiter and ask today

My recruiter/his superior officer have been very prompt and straightforward with me, and have done all they said they would do so far. This is an email from them on February 5th:

"The results from the selection board on 28 January have not been released yet. Maybe the end of this week or early next week. As soon as I receive them I will send you an e-mail and call you."

Seems like it would be rude to doubt them now. However, because of the scholarship deadline I mentioned before (the 15th), if I don't hear anything by the 13th, I will call them then and see what's going on. Hoping to hear something back today (12th) though.
 
I just finished my application for the army this week and completing my physical next week 20th of feb. My recruiter keeps on saying I'm good even though I'm late but I'm rushing my application. For the army are they having boards in march are was the last board on jan 28 because every body keeps on talking about how their waist listed? My recruiter says the last board is in march.
 
I just finished my application for the army this week and completing my physical next week 20th of feb. My recruiter keeps on saying I'm good even though I'm late but I'm rushing my application. For the army are they having boards in march are was the last board on jan 28 because every body keeps on talking about how their waist listed? My recruiter says the last board is in march.

The thing about the Army is that no one really knows what's going on. Every recruiter will tell you something different. If you read up ahead, someone mentioned that their recruiter said everyone from now on will be put on OML while your recruiter is still saying you are good. Everyone also seems to believe there is a different date for finding out board decisions. I would just go ahead and continue but without the expectation of receiving it.