Military HPSP

Started by rladbwjdtl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info. I literally just started my Navy application today...lol. I asked because this is what the Navy recruiter said,

"Will you be able to get me all the documents within 2 weeks. The scholarship will be closing by next month. I will forward you all the requirements needed for the application."

What does that mean the scholarship is closing by next month? 2 weeks is the deadline for the final boards?? Or is he saying that I have to get my application completed to meet the next board meeting? I thought these board meetings went until May or so or at least April.


As for the LOR, my recruiter said the more the better (max of 5). I submitted 1 from my dentist, 2 from my professors, and 2 from my work bosses. My recruiter let me choose which LOR I sent in because I gave him 7 total. From what I read, they made me sound better than I could ever talk about myself and the work letters talked about my ability to lead, etc; so I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is based on. Maybe it's a crapshoot like dental schools, maybe not. Oh well 🙁

To tell you the truth, I have no idea if the scholarship is closing or not. I do know that they'll have at least one board meeting this month. I can only speculate that the recruiters expect the rest of the scholarships to be awarded at the next meeting. The thing about recruiters is that they want everything done yesterday, so they'll give you these dates in which you must have everything done, yet who really knows. That being said, get it done as soon as possible. You don't want your app to get kicked back like mine due to something not being signed or an old form being submitted. It's pretty much the same as the Army one, if not more tedious since their background check website is slower than dirt.

In regard to the LoR thing, I had no idea that you could have more than 3. I was told 2 professors and your boss. Not even a dentist or anything like that. If that was the case, I would have just given them everything and had them pick and choose the best :-(
 
To tell you the truth, I have no idea if the scholarship is closing or not. I do know that they'll have at least one board meeting this month. I can only speculate that the recruiters expect the rest of the scholarships to be awarded at the next meeting. The thing about recruiters is that they want everything done yesterday, so they'll give you these dates in which you must have everything done, yet who really knows. That being said, get it done as soon as possible. You don't want your app to get kicked back like mine due to something not being signed or an old form being submitted. It's pretty much the same as the Army one, if not more tedious since their background check website is slower than dirt.

In regard to the LoR thing, I had no idea that you could have more than 3. I was told 2 professors and your boss. Not even a dentist or anything like that. If that was the case, I would have just given them everything and had them pick and choose the best :-(

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am nearly done with my application. (Things go way faster when you've already done the Army one and have everything on your computer already). The background website was very tedious...yet it was actually quite fast for me so I'm done with it already. On the Navy application, I believe the maximum number of character references are 3 (past employers or professors only). For the Army scholarship, you were allowed to have a maximum of 5.
 
I am not exactly sure about the timeline of the hpsp, so do you apply to hpsp after you get accepted to dental school? I imagine it will take awhile to get all the paper work done. Can you guys give me a general timeline of applying to dental school and applying to the hpsp scholarhsip
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info. I literally just started my Navy application today...lol. I asked because this is what the Navy recruiter said,

"Will you be able to get me all the documents within 2 weeks. The scholarship will be closing by next month. I will forward you all the requirements needed for the application."

What does that mean the scholarship is closing by next month? 2 weeks is the deadline for the final boards?? Or is he saying that I have to get my application completed to meet the next board meeting? I thought these board meetings went until May or so or at least April.


As for the LOR, my recruiter said the more the better (max of 5). I submitted 1 from my dentist, 2 from my professors, and 2 from my work bosses. My recruiter let me choose which LOR I sent in because I gave him 7 total. From what I read, they made me sound better than I could ever talk about myself and the work letters talked about my ability to lead, etc; so I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is based on. Maybe it's a crapshoot like dental schools, maybe not. Oh well 🙁

@NMC2010 I thought you were going to call your recruiter and ask today
He said that it'll be closing because they will most likely all be given away. You should check the Navy hpsp thread
 
I am not exactly sure about the timeline of the hpsp, so do you apply to hpsp after you get accepted to dental school? I imagine it will take awhile to get all the paper work done. Can you guys give me a general timeline of applying to dental school and applying to the hpsp scholarhsip

You need an acceptance letter to apply for the hpsp program. Either way, I would just start it if you can so that the only thing you are waiting for is the acceptance letter. General time to complete the application is around 1.5-2 months (considering things go smoothly).
 
You need an acceptance letter to apply for the hpsp program. Either way, I would just start it if you can so that the only thing you are waiting for is the acceptance letter. General time to complete the application is around 1.5-2 months (considering things go smoothly).

I was actually able to apply before I received a letter of acceptance. My recruiter told me that the board would like at my stats and the list of schools that I applied to and make a guess as to whether or not I would receive an acceptance to any school. If they thought I had a good shot, then they would award me the scholarship without a LOA. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but that is the gist of what he told me.
 
^ Same I heard.

I wonder if they let recruiters know about this on a regional basis. Seems odd that some have heard while others have not. I think even if I don't get the HPSP, I need to be counting my blessings. Just got my 5th rejection of 7 total schools I applied to. Never heard back from Case, but my stats aren't very competitive there, and I got 1 acceptance. So no matter what happens, I'm just going to be thankful that I even get to go to dental school.
 
^ Same I heard.

I wonder if they let recruiters know about this on a regional basis. Seems odd that some have heard while others have not. I think even if I don't get the HPSP, I need to be counting my blessings. Just got my 5th rejection of 7 total schools I applied to. Never heard back from Case, but my stats aren't very competitive there, and I got 1 acceptance. So no matter what happens, I'm just going to be thankful that I even get to go to dental school.

I agree. We both got the ultimate prize: acceptance to a state school.

You can't win everything.. I'll be ok if I don't get hpsp either..
 
Anyone have any updates on Navy board dates being today and/or Feb. 26th and any numbers? My recruiter didn't say anything about the Feb. 12th board today, just the one on the 26th. Not sure if they just didn't know about it or if they are trying to have me not stress haha. I've been complete for a long time.
 
Just got some news from my recruiter. He said there are 4 different things that can happen. Obviously you can either get a straight up No or Yes. You can also be put on the OML which has been the case for some of you. Lastly, you can also have to wait a little bit because some of the applications have to be "approved" by the secretary of defense and then they issue the scholarship. My recruiter told me I was in this last category and seemed extremely confident that I would be offered the scholarship. He said those in his office who were put on the OML were put there immediately. So, hopefully that gives some of you some confidence if you haven't heard back yet. He also said that no one got a straight up NO. Its either OML, waiting to be approved, or YES.
 
Hey guys, just giving you all an update to inform you and take my mind off things. I sent my recruiter an email asking what was going on and he gave me a call and said I got the 4 year Army HPSP scholarship. The reasons he hadn't called yet was similar to what JazzyGuy said, something with having the government sign official forms and sending stuff to my recruiter - so there's some lag time between. Family going through a very hard time right now, but I am glad there can be blessings like this mixed in with the sadness. Don't give up guys.
 
Hey guys, just giving you all an update to inform you and take my mind off things. I sent my recruiter an email asking what was going on and he gave me a call and said I got the 4 year Army HPSP scholarship. The reasons he hadn't called yet was similar to what JazzyGuy said, something with having the government sign official forms and sending stuff to my recruiter - so there's some lag time between. Family going through a very hard time right now, but I am glad there can be blessings like this mixed in with the sadness. Don't give up guys.

Congrats NMC on the Army HPSP!...sorry about the rough patch you are going through..things will get better!

Navy results from the board yesterday are coming out too!
 
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Sorry been awhile since I have peeked at SDN

Undergrad-BYU, DAT-21, GPA-3.65, SGPA-3.68, Accepted- University of Oklahoma. If it is relevant one of my letters was from an 06 at DENCOM in DC. I think that played into my early notification from the Jan board.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ Seems like that might be important, since a couple others mentioned having members of the military write a LoR for them. I know for sure my dentist (former Army HPSP) gave me an awesome one, just wondering if that played a part. Goes back to what Teeths said before about the LoR - would be helpful if they were told not to give all of them from professors. At any rate, I think it's still too early for people to count themselves out. Good luck guys!
 
Hey guys, just giving you all an update to inform you and take my mind off things. I sent my recruiter an email asking what was going on and he gave me a call and said I got the 4 year Army HPSP scholarship. The reasons he hadn't called yet was similar to what JazzyGuy said, something with having the government sign official forms and sending stuff to my recruiter - so there's some lag time between. Family going through a very hard time right now, but I am glad there can be blessings like this mixed in with the sadness. Don't give up guys.

Congrats man! I just hope I hear good news in the future too!
 
Rough patches everywhere. Just woke up at 4, drove an hour to go do my MEPs and ended up finding out my prescreen expired 10 days ago without anyone notifying my recruiter...need to reschedule.

Waited a month and a half to get this done haha. What is life...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
 
Rough patches everywhere. Just woke up at 4, drove an hour to go do my MEPs and ended up finding out my prescreen expired 10 days ago without anyone notifying my recruiter...need to reschedule.

Waited a month and a half to get this done haha. What is life...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Aw man that's really a pain. Hopefully since the boards are in March, they can get you in before then. Who knows, maybe you'll hear back from one of your other schools before going back to MEPs and can include that in your packet. If nothing else, maybe you can give your family a visit while you're home?
 
Rough patches everywhere. Just woke up at 4, drove an hour to go do my MEPs and ended up finding out my prescreen expired 10 days ago without anyone notifying my recruiter...need to reschedule.

Waited a month and a half to get this done haha. What is life...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Wow. Haha, well thankfully you don't need it before the AF board
 
Rough patches everywhere. Just woke up at 4, drove an hour to go do my MEPs and ended up finding out my prescreen expired 10 days ago without anyone notifying my recruiter...need to reschedule.

Waited a month and a half to get this done haha. What is life...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

With being so invested in this whole process i've realized how disorganized the whole system is for hpsp applicants. I spent a whole day doing my physical once and then they told me they had to cancel it because they told me they couldn't get a doctor before the results expired to see it (which was 10 days I believe). Also, no one seems to know what's really going on. It's like a swarm, they're all going in the general direction but none of the individual members know where they're actually supposed to go.
 
With being so invested in this whole process i've realized how disorganized the whole system is for hpsp applicants. I spent a whole day doing my physical once and then they told me they had to cancel it because they told me they couldn't get a doctor before the results expired to see it (which was 10 days I believe). Also, no one seems to know what's really going on. It's like a swarm, they're all going in the general direction but none of the individual members know where they're actually supposed to go.
Welcome to the military.
 
For those of you who got the schorship congratulations..
You guys boarded in January correct? Since I believe there are no February board.
Do you guys know how many schorships are left for the march board??
 
Rough patches everywhere. Just woke up at 4, drove an hour to go do my MEPs and ended up finding out my prescreen expired 10 days ago without anyone notifying my recruiter...need to reschedule.

Waited a month and a half to get this done haha. What is life...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

That's real rough. It took me 2 months to get a MEPs date, then they literally cancelled it the night before for a similar issue. Hopefully you'll get a reschedule date soon!
 
Man, I still haven't heard anything. My recruiter said we should hear sometime this week so hopefully I do:bow:. I'm still sorta confused as to why I'm waiting to hear anything so much later than everyone else it seems... I was on the Jan board so.... :shrug:
 
[quote"Teeths, post: 14920548, member: 391517"]Man, I still haven't heard anything. My recruiter said we should hear sometime this week so hopefully I do:bow:. I'm still sorta confused as to why I'm waiting to hear anything so much later than everyone else it seems... I was on the Jan board so.... :shrug:[/quote]
I was in the January board as well. Still haven't heard anything either but my recruiter reached out last week and said they'd contact me as soon as they got the official list. Good luck, hopefully we hear this week.
 
[quote"Teeths, post: 14920548, member: 391517"]Man, I still haven't heard anything. My recruiter said we should hear sometime this week so hopefully I do:bow:. I'm still sorta confused as to why I'm waiting to hear anything so much later than everyone else it seems... I was on the Jan board so.... :shrug:
I was in the January board as well. Still haven't heard anything either but my recruiter reached out last week and said they'd contact me as soon as they got the official list. Good luck, hopefully we hear this week.[/quote]

Thanks! Good luck to you too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys just commissioned for the Army today, thought I'd share some info that I got from my recruiter. He said that there were 70 scholarships for this year, and all have been given out from the January board. Those of you that have not heard back yet, don't give up hope, I just think it takes time to get the official documents sent out. He also said that he does not believe there will be anymore boards as the waitlist/OML is already pretty full. Good luck everyone.
 
Hey guys just commissioned for the Army today, thought I'd share some info that I got from my recruiter. He said that there were 70 scholarships for this year, and all have been given out from the January board. Those of you that have not heard back yet, don't give up hope, I just think it takes time to get the official documents sent out. He also said that he does not believe there will be anymore boards as the waitlist/OML is already pretty full. Good luck everyone.


wait whaaaatt???
 
Hey guys just commissioned for the Army today, thought I'd share some info that I got from my recruiter. He said that there were 70 scholarships for this year, and all have been given out from the January board. Those of you that have not heard back yet, don't give up hope, I just think it takes time to get the official documents sent out. He also said that he does not believe there will be anymore boards as the waitlist/OML is already pretty full. Good luck everyone.

I'm having a hard time believing this. My recruiter assured me less than 5 hours ago that there were plenty left and that I had no worries for the upcoming March board.
 
Again, I would always take what we hear from our recruiters with a grain of salt. Just wanted to report what I heard, I was quite surprised myself. Hope for everyone's sake that there are more spots.
 
Heard the same thing as GJMeig. Unfortunately I'm on the OML. Was told there were significantly more applicants this year compared to years past. My recruiter said it will be at least 2 months before they offer any scholarships to those on the OML because it takes time to receive rejections from those offered and to reconsider those on the OML.
 
Wow, that's disheartening. I'm REALLY hoping I hear good news and there's still a chance for those who haven't gotten to a board yet!
 
Hey guys just commissioned for the Army today, thought I'd share some info that I got from my recruiter. He said that there were 70 scholarships for this year, and all have been given out from the January board. Those of you that have not heard back yet, don't give up hope, I just think it takes time to get the official documents sent out. He also said that he does not believe there will be anymore boards as the waitlist/OML is already pretty full. Good luck everyone.
How did you get commissioned so fast? I am still waiting for senate to approve mine.
 
Only thing he's told me is that I wasn't a "no"

:poke:

Hmmm...that's very vague considering they didn't give out any official "no" for this board =/ You still haven't heard back yet so maybe he's just waiting for paperwork. My recruiter initially didn't contact me because he thought if he waited a couple weeks my status would have changed and then he would have called.
 
Anyone that was OML'd asked your recruiter what number you are on the list yet? Mine told me recruiters don't have access to the list anymore.
 
Anyone that was OML'd asked your recruiter what number you are on the list yet? Mine told me recruiters don't have access to the list anymore.

I got the generic "I'll let you know where you're at on the OML list when I get it" response. I wouldn't worry about it though. Totally out of our control now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you haven't heard back from the January board yet is it more likely that you have been denied the scholarship or placed on the oml?
 
If you haven't heard back from the January board yet is it more likely that you have been denied the scholarship or placed on the oml?

Only way to know is to call your recruiter. Most recruiters found out already about your status. However, some recruiters will purposely not contact you until they hear "good news". My recruiter told me today that there will be a selection off the OML list soon. We'll just have to wait and see.
 
Only way to know is to call your recruiter. Most recruiters found out already about your status. However, some recruiters will purposely not contact you until they hear "good news". My recruiter told me today that there will be a selection off the OML list soon. We'll just have to wait and see.
Recruiter ended up calling me this morning, I was placed on the OML as well. Not disappointed in the least but if it works out then all the better.
 
Is it possible to apply for a 3 year HPSP scholarship after/during your first year of dental school? (Sorry if this has been answered already. I didn't search through the entire thread)