General Admissions & OTCAS Military member applying to OT schools next year- in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalOTWannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for anyone with similar experiences to mine or just some words of encouragement right now.

So, I'm currently active duty military and after eight years of service, I should be separating around May 2018. I'm also married with one, soon to be two little ones and my job involves lots of shiftwork so I've been finishing up my B.A. in Psychology online. We're stationed in Hawaii but will be moving back home to California when I get out so next year I'll be applying to most of the SoCal programs for a 2018 class start (SJSU, USC, LLU, CSUDH, and a couple of the newer programs like West Coast Univ. and Stanbridge).

Here's the thing: I have 11 classes left until I'm done with my undergrad (can usually take one-two per term), four of those also being MOT pre-req's. I am struggling to find any human anatomy/physiology classes with labs in the local area that I'd be able to attend while still working. I have yet to begin my volunteer/shadowing but plan on utilizing some of my leave time to get the bulk of my hours while also squeezing in add'l hours here and there over the next year and half. My overall GPA is currently a 3.8 (4.0 for for the pre-req's I've taken so far) and no GRE yet. Can someone please tell me I'm not in over my head and can finish all of the admissions requirements within the next 18-20 months as a somewhat strong applicant? Also, baby number two is due this June. I know it's not going to be easy but it hasn't been easy so far either. I'm going for it regardless but any words of encouragement would be really appreciated right now. Or you can tell me I'm nuts. Lol. Thanks for reading my lengthy rant!

Members don't see this ad.

I know you don't want to hear this, but why not spread it out between 2 years so you have enough time to study/spend time with your kids/stay sane? It sounds like you're working hard as it is! Also they want kind of a lot of volunteer hours at SJSU, just saying.

I was kinda in the same boat as you, except I've never pooped out any babies. I ended up dragging it out for two years until I applied. I have no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't have gotten accepted with my crappy stats if it wasn't for my military experience, so that's a definite plus for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been working on prereqs, working f/t, and shadowing since the end of 2012, and I just applied and got in this year. Plus, I have a daughter, my husband works a lot, and we have no family near us. My suggestion would be to write out a plan. That's what I did so I could determine how best to get everything done and in what time frame. If you can't fit everything you need to do in 18-20 months, consider adding more time like others have suggested. The application process is really time consuming, so you have to consider that too. Also, finding sites for shadowing is sometimes hard and takes longer than one might expect. I suggest you start by getting a solid plan in place. It'll help you achieve your goal. Good luck to you!! You CAN do this!

Last edited:
I know you don't want to hear this, but why not spread it out between 2 years so you have enough time to study/spend time with your kids/stay sane? It sounds like you're working hard as it is! Also they want kind of a lot of volunteer hours at SJSU, just saying.

I'd LOVE to take more time but my contract ends summer 2018 and unless I re-enlist for another four years (which I definitely don't want to do), I'll be getting out. By getting out, my contribution to the household income is gone and on my husband's salary alone, we definitely won't be able to maintain a comfortable standard of living. But, by being enrolled in school and using my GI Bill, I'll have schooling paid for and will also receive the monthly housing allowance (around $3000 a month for that area) which will ensure that we don't have to move our family to the hood upon my separation from service (lol). I know it's a lot and I'll probably have a few breakdowns in the process. Thankfully I have a month of leave saved up and it keeps accruing so I can take a week or two at a time to get in volunteer hours, focus on applications when the time comes, etc. As a back-up plan, I could just work for those first six months after we move back to California and submit applications at the end of 2018. I just get so worried about the uncertainty factor of my income if I take that route. :/

I was kinda in the same boat as you, except I've never pooped out any babies. I ended up dragging it out for two years until I applied. I have no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't have gotten accepted with my crappy stats if it wasn't for my military experience, so that's a definite plus for you.
"Never pooped out any babies"- haha. Good to hear that your military experience helped you to get accepted! Hoping my experience helps me out as well. Which school are you attending/did you attend?

I've been working on prereqs, working f/t, and shadowing since the end of 2012, and I just applied and got in this year. Plus, I have a daughter, my husband works a lot, and we have no family near us. My suggestion would be to write out a plan. That's what I did so I could determine how best to get everything done and in what time frame. If you can't fit everything you need to do in 18-20 months, consider adding more time like others have suggested. The application process is really time consuming, so you have to consider that too. Also, finding sites for shadowing is sometimes hard and takes longer than one might expect. I suggest you start by getting a solid plan in place. It'll help you achieve your goal. Good luck to you!! You CAN do this!

You sound a lot like me right now- we also have no family anywhere near us while we're on this island. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!! Between that and reading your story, I have a bit more confidence that I'll be able to do this. I did make an excel spreadsheet with my educational plan for the next couple of years and it made it all seem much more do-able. Adding more time is an option but I'm trying to avoid that route as it includes a few more unknowns. The unknowns freak me out. Lol.