This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mboy3

Reaction score
Hello! I am a pre-physical therapy student actively working on my undergrad. I absolutely want to be a therapist in the military, but I was hoping to become one through the military (for assistance with tuition and all that jazz). I am stuck between the Army and the Air Force, I have done lots of research and talked to several recruiters and have found lots of information about becoming a physical therapist in the Army, but almost none about how to go through therapy school in the Air Force. I want to make the right decision and join the branch that suits me best, not the one that offers me the most.
I was wondering if there was anyone on here who was/is in the Air Force or is joining that can give me any sort of information on becoming a therapist through the Air Force.

I like to have as much information as possible so if anyone wants to add any info from either the Army or Air Force, that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

If you know this is what you want to do, absolutely look at the Army Baylor Program and go after every single admission requirement. Hopefully a current or past student will chime in here on that. The Air Force also uses the Baylor Program for most of their active duty accessions. It is very difficult to get into active duty as a therapist otherwise. I'm done with PT school myself and have applied multiple times to go active duty with no luck (yet). Also, at least for the Air Force, there are no current loan repayment programs or other ways to apply to fund a civilian school. (Although you could join the military first, earn your GI Bill and then use that to go to school which is what I did).

If I had to do it over again, I would have looked to do PA. (My goal was to serve in the medical field in the military...I wish I had understood the numbers a little better. They took 2! therapists total last year in the Air Force and none the year before that (aside from the Baylor grads). They will throw open the doors if you are a PA or NP or MD.

Reactions: 1 users
If you know this is what you want to do, absolutely look at the Army Baylor Program and go after every single admission requirement. Hopefully a current or past student will chime in here on that. The Air Force also uses the Baylor Program for most of their active duty accessions. It is very difficult to get into active duty as a therapist otherwise. I'm done with PT school myself and have applied multiple times to go active duty with no luck (yet). Also, at least for the Air Force, there are no current loan repayment programs or other ways to apply to fund a civilian school. (Although you could join the military first, earn your GI Bill and then use that to go to school which is what I did).

If I had to do it over again, I would have looked to do PA. (My goal was to serve in the medical field in the military...I wish I had understood the numbers a little better. They took 2! therapists total last year in the Air Force and none the year before that (aside from the Baylor grads). They will throw open the doors if you are a PA or NP or MD.

The Army will direct commission you =). Big changes are coming. All fixed medical assets in the military (all branches) are transferring to DHA. All role 4 positions will convert to DHA or be reverse-profis, where clinicians and other medical officers support a role 4, while being attached to operational units. That means that all the billets for PTs in hospitals will most likely be almost non-existent, cutting staff and billets in those areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Army will direct commission you =). Big changes are coming. All fixed medical assets in the military (all branches) are transferring to DHA. All role 4 positions will convert to DHA or be reverse-profis, where clinicians and other medical officers support a role 4, while being attached to operational units. That means that all the billets for PTs in hospitals will most likely be almost non-existent, cutting staff and billets in those areas.
What is a "role 4" position? I don't know that terminology. I'm hoping this means an overall increase in therapists in the military, even with a decrease in therapists in clinics...but who knows.

What is a "role 4" position? I don't know that terminology. I'm hoping this means an overall increase in therapists in the military, even with a decrease in therapists in clinics...but who knows.

The opposite, unfortunately. We are looking at a declining projection at this time. This can change if the military decides to have therapists at the BN level, which will increase billets. Right now, for example, the Army only has them assigned to a IBCT, operationally. We are transitioning to nearly all operational positions. Everyone else (PTs) are either in hospitals, doing research, or hold admin positions. The latter three roles are up in the air while DHA transitions into control. Role IVs are fixed position medical assets (hospitals).

Last edited:
The opposite, unfortunately. We are looking at a declining projection at this time. This can change if the military decides to have therapists at the BN level, which will increase billets. Right now, for example, the Army only has them assigned to a IBCT, operationally. We are transitioning to nearly all operational positions. Everyone else (PTs) are either in hospitals, doing research, or hold admin positions. The latter three roles are up in the air while DHA transitions into control. Role IVs are fixed position medical assets (hospitals).

There are PTs in many operational units besides IBCTs. They’re also at SBCTs and ABCTs and other BDE level positions. The assignment to BN level positions has already started as well. The second “beta test” at the BN level, which I believe was a few dozen slots, is wrapping up and has been successful. They’re are still kinks to work out but it’s going take place on a larger scale as H2F rolls out. There are also a handful of positions for more senior PTs at the division level. Without going into too many details on an open forum I can say that a good portion of the Army-Baylor grads are going operational units after graduation this year and those that aren’t probably will be before long. That’s a good thing in my opinion. One of the main reasons I wanted to become a military PT was to work directly infantry, armor, etc. units. The civilians can take of the high volume OP clinics and slots in the hospitals, while the military PTs are imbedded with those who have “boots on the ground”.

Yup, I meant BCTs, in general. I’m glad they’re thinking about PTs at the BN level. Dietitians are already making big differences. Was going to hit you up during BOLC but thought you’d be having fun at Hood or something for internship.

Let me tell you, the air force is the way to go. Consider the coast guard as well.

Yup, I meant BCTs, in general. I’m glad they’re thinking about PTs at the BN level. Dietitians are already making big differences. Was going to hit you up during BOLC but thought you’d be having fun at Hood or something for internship.
Actually ended up staying at Ft Sam for my internship. Hood isn’t exactly a garden spot but I think would have preferred it to here. The stress of PT school pretty much spoiled this city for me and I just to get away. Of course I might be singing a different tune when I end up PCSing some place like Polk when I graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually ended up staying at Ft Sam for my internship. Hood isn’t exactly a garden spot but I think would have preferred it to here. The stress of PT school pretty much spoiled this city for me and I just to get away. Of course I might be singing a different tune when I end up PCSing some place like Polk when I graduate.

Dang it...should have hit you up for the turtle races

Let me tell you, the air force is the way to go. Consider the coast guard as well.
I originally was looking at the Air Force, but according the many people I talked to, there are no scholarship opportunities for those looking to be PTs and there have no been spots in the Army-Baylor program for Air Force personnel for the last 2-3 cycles. And after talking to another Air Force recruiter, he seemed to have little interest in recruiting more PTs, so I'm not sure if they are even in need of PTs.

Last edited:
False. AF seats in Army-Baylor have gone from 2 to 4 and now 3 in the last 3 cycles.

AF will need PTs they always do. Great opportunities are available

I originally was looking at the Air Force, but according the many people I talked to, there are no scholarship opportunities for those looking to be PTs and there have no been spots in the Army-Baylor program for Air Force personnel for the last 2-3 cycles. And after talking to another Air Force recruiter, he seemed to have little interest in recruiting more PTs, so I'm not sure if they are even in need of PTs.

I was a 4J and we had someone take an AF seat not long ago. I'd talk to another recruiter if you're interested in the Air Force.

Last edited:

The Air Force spots at Baylor have not changed much (looks like they have averaged 3 seats per class over the last few years). A recruiter would not be the best person to talk to about Army Baylor. They are recruiting for licensed physical therapists, not school applicants. However, it is true that there have been few to no additional spots for anyone besides Baylor grads for the past 2-3 cycles of boards (licensed therapists to enter the AF, not from the Baylor track). That's probably what your recruiter meant. I've been following the application boards and working with a recruiter for 3 years now. I lost count how many times the boards were cancelled because they weren't actually taking anyone into the AF. Or sometimes they took in 1-2 NATIONALLY in an application cycle. Yes, the recruiters aren't very excited about therapists because the chances are so small their candidate will make it. That said, I heard rumors this past board accepted more (haven't been able to pin down the number). And the Air Force vision at the moment involves increasing the number of active duty physical therapists.

Definitely still look at Baylor if you are interested in being an AF physical therapist. There are slots and the tuition is covered.

Thank you all for all the comments and information. And if anyone has any additional info on their experiences with the Army Baylor program, I would love to hear it!

You have no chance to get in with AF unless you are currently serving with the AF; AF is currently taking only 2 spots and they are only taking current AF members. Navy has only 1 slot I believe. Army is your best bet. You will have to serve 4.5 years of Active Duty after you graduate and pass your boards. You must pass the initial army training (BOLC) and commission before start of program.
Clarification
Army - Baylor DPT has commissioned 3 in last 2 years and will commission 2 this year directly into usaf. Seats have ranged between 3 and 4 for usaf.

Clarification
Army - Baylor DPT has commissioned 3 in last 2 years and will commission 2 this year directly into usaf. Seats have ranged between 3 and 4 for usaf.

@tcpt ,

Would you know if the application process is different for Air Force applicants this year? The instruction for commissioning(AFI 36-2013) was updated in October to include the DPT program and lists additional documents on top of the requirements on the PTCAS and the Army-Baylor website, but it doesn't say anything about the application process.

@tcpt ,

Would you know if the application process is different for Air Force applicants this year? The instruction for commissioning(AFI 36-2013) was updated in October to include the DPT program and lists additional documents on top of the requirements on the PTCAS and the Army-Baylor website, but it doesn't say anything about the application process.

The application process is the same for everybody. If selected for the Air Force, there is additional requirements, but the initial ptcas application process is all the same

Reactions: 1 user
You can also attend PT school at a civilian university and then apply to the AF as a direct commission. They often will offer portion of student loans paid back as well through a special program. Just another option

Air Force Vet here. I was an active duty Logistics Readiness officer for 5 years (Captain).

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to focus on getting into a PT program. Don't pay any attention to direct commission programs for now.

Negatives - PTs in the Air Force are pulled away from PT to serve as administrators, supervisors, raters, and sit in meetings all day. And you'll answer to someone who has no background in PT. You'll likely be the one PT in your clinic and work with a rotating staff of contracted PTAs. You'll have to "rate" and supervise airmen, which basically means you're responsible for their job progression and other admin duties.

Benefits would include - stability, military community, serving your country, and deploying (might be a negative for some people), and joining a brotherhood. If you plan to stay in the military long term, or not, you'll still develop as a leader, and quite frankly, a politician. You'll learn to manage projects and build a great resume.

I wouldn't trade my experience in the military for the world! Good luck!

Just recommend that you don't get ahead of yourself! Be open to it! If you get into a DPT program, look for commissioning resources while you're in school. The military would love to have you.

I'm still on the fence about joining back on as a PT, but who knows! Good luck.