Military Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DENTALAPPLICANT2019

Reaction score
I am curious how the general plan would be set up if I want to be an oral surgeon and if I get the military scholarship for dental school.

Would it be 4 years of dental school 3 years of serving and then apply for residency? or could it be 4 years of dental school and residency and then 3 years of serving?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe you have to serve your military time before residency as a general dentist, it can be 3 or 4 years depending on the contract you sign. But I’m curious too I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A lot of "if"s in there, but also depends on the branch and what's going on at the time. In the Air Force, some of us are able to apply for OS right out of school, but it's not super common. Then there is the issue of how you do it. If it's through a civilian program there is the issue of more years, if it's after your initial payback, it's more years, yadda yadda.

Bottom line, take care of the "if"s first, and then worry about the actuality of events that are about 4-5 years down the road for you. At that point, you'll have contacts in the military that can help point you in the right direction, instead of many predents and dents here (myself included) who don't know all the ins and outs because we've not experienced it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply OS right after dental school in the army. This year's result came out and I believe about 4 people got accepted to OS right after dental school. You will need to do a snowbird year prior to starting OS program. So class of 2019 will start OS in 2020.

This was me. Here is how the schedule goes if you get accepted while in dental school: Graduate. One year snow birding, working as a general dentist. Four year oral surgery residency. Four year payback working as an army oral surgeon. Now you are 9 years active duty and you can either decide to make it a career and sign on for retention bonus or get out and go civilian. If you do BOLC (officer training) while in dental school there is a chance of skipping the snow bird year if they don’t fill all the slots in the year group in front of you.

This was me. Here is how the schedule goes if you get accepted while in dental school: Graduate. One year snow birding, working as a general dentist. Four year oral surgery residency. Four year payback working as an army oral surgeon. Now you are 9 years active duty and you can either decide to make it a career and sign on for retention bonus or get out and go civilian. If you do BOLC (officer training) while in dental school there is a chance of skipping the snow bird year if they don’t fill all the slots in the year group in front of you.
9 years?! wow that's long.. I am guessing they paid for your spending while in residency as well?