misdemeanor and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlephiLLy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i had a rather unfortunate event last night in which i may be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by fine. If not convicted, will medical schools still see the incident (it was a traffic violation) or is all my hard work now wasted? thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

littlephiLLy said:
hey i had a rather unfortunate event last night in which i may be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by fine. If not convicted, will medical schools still see the incident (it was a traffic violation) or is all my hard work now wasted? thank you...

you're fine. don't worry,a traffic violation will not keep you out of medical school

Many supplementals ask if you've been convicted of a misdemeanor "other than a minor traffic violation." GW was the only one I've seen that asked if you'd ever been arrested for any reason, so you have to explain what happened there whether you were convicted or not. Everybody makes mistakes, the important thing is not to focus on it, but see if you can learn something from the whole situation and move on. Don't stress yourself out over it, just keep working hard and let your scores do the talking.

Members don't see this ad :)
littlephiLLy said:

I'm not sure you gave enough info for us to respond -- was there drugs/alcohol involved or was it just a moving violation/fender bender? At any rate, I think some applications ask about "convictions", but don't recall anything about accidents, moving violations, traffic tickets or the like. If you are not convicted of a crime I wouldn't worry.
If you were, just prepare to be honest and you probably can explain it away, if asked.

Law2Doc said:
I'm not sure you gave enough info for us to respond -- was there drugs/alcohol involved or was it just a moving violation/fender bender? At any rate, I think some applications ask about "convictions", but don't recall anything about accidents, moving violations, traffic tickets or the like. If you are not convicted of a crime I wouldn't worry.
If you were, just prepare to be honest and you probably can explain it away, if asked.

The AMCAS asks about Felony convictions only.

I was issued a summons for "Unauthorized race/contest of speed on public hwy" and an additional one for my insurance (i did not have my updated policy card. I'm bringing a lawyer to my april 15th date but i have a clean license otherwise so i'm hoping some of this can be dismissed. thanks for the replies

i should also add that i wasn't arrested nor was my car impounded. I do, however, feel as if I have learned my lesson.

littlephiLLy said:
i should also add that i wasn't arrested nor was my car impounded. I do, however, feel as if I have learned my lesson.

i.e. a speeding ticket. This is not a big deal, especially if you don't end up with a reckless driving count. I have one speeding ticket. UVM accidentally asked for police reports (including speeding) but when i called they told me to ignore it.

So long as it wasn't a DUI you should be fine. We are, after all, human beings and not infalliable.

I would not worry about it. Put the incident in the "I did something really stupid - thank God no one got hurt - I learned my lesson" category. Pay your fine and again thank God no one was hurt. Shouldn't hurt your chances at all, but let serve as a reminder that a more serious act of recklessness ( drugs, DUI, etc) can put into jeopardy everything you have worked for.

thanks guys.. my first fear upon getting caught was ineligibility to medical school, i'm glad its not too bad.