misdemeanor from high school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovepeaceandteethgrease

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so long story short, my sophomore year of high school i got a car and my parents give mace to keep on my keychain for protection. my senior year one of my teachers noticed it and reported it to the principle and because i was on a high school campus and it's considered a weapon, i received a misdemeanor. I got it expunged about months after it happened. Is this something that I need to put on my dental school application? To me knowledge, if a person get misdemeanor expunged they're obligated to admit to it happening.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Go on some private criminal history websites and see if it comes up. Check your state/county site as well. If it hits, you know what to do. Expunged is not always expunged. Private sites do not update old data frequently.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt any dental school would care enough for it to affect their descision on you

For protection ... in school? :confused:

It was on her car key chain. She wasn't just going to school, but even if she was, some high schools can be really scary. Any high school in Southwest DC is just terrifying.

It was on her car key chain. She wasn't just going to school, but even if she was, some high schools can be really scary. Any high school in Southwest DC is just terrifying.

I got that. As someone that works in the educational system I can see why the educator's actions are justified. Should that keychain been lost and someone else had acquired it, there's no telling what sort of damage could have been done. Additionally, a student's intentions are always in question no matter how stellar of a behavioral/academic record they may have had. That's why there are zero tolerance policies in place for items considered to be weapons. It's incredibly unfortunate for OP's sake. But I think moving forward dental adcoms will be understanding of this issue. It's easy to forget the presence of mace on a car keychain, or a pocket knife from a weekend out camping...but those simple mistakes in a classroom setting can have dire consequences

Reactions: 1 users
A) What's wrong with this world where somebody would report that.
B) up to you but if a school rejected you based on this then that's not a school you want to go to in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Regardless if you mention it or not, I don't think this is a big deal crime. It isn't like a DUI or assault. Having my daughter with a way of defending herself from an attacker takes higher precedent than whatever a teacher has to complain about