Missing 1 Pre-Req, already graduated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oatstudent123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I graduated undergrad in 2014. Took a year off and just took my OAT a few weeks ago. I made a 340AA/330TS. My cum GPA is a 3.35 and science GPA is 3.0. I applied to UHCO (1st choice), RSO, NOVA, and Maryland. I also successfully completed the summer TEXOCOP program at UHCO. I have 150 hrs shadowing an optometrist. At this point my optomcas is completed and submitted, just waiting on verification.

Here is the problem. I never took Biochemistry. I know this will sound ridiculous, but I just followed what my advisor told me in undergrad and took the classes she suggested. I did not notice that I needed to take Biochem for optometry school, and she never told me either. I just learned yesterday from a friend that it is indeed a requirement.

My question is, has anyone ever gotten a pre-req waived by optometry school? I'm mainly interested in UHCO because it is my primary choice, but any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think they would simply "waive" a required pre requisite. You might have to take it at a community college or somewhere before you start Optometry school. The best thing to do is call the school, explain your situation and see what they say.

I'm almost certain they will not waive the prerequisite. I also don't think i'd recommend giving the UHCO the full story as to why you didn't take biochem. They would probably see it as a lack of preparation on your part, not researching the prerequisites for schools you're applying to (especially your top school). They'll probably tell you to take it online or at a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I graduated undergrad in 2014. Took a year off and just took my OAT a few weeks ago. I made a 340AA/330TS. My cum GPA is a 3.35 and science GPA is 3.0. I applied to UHCO (1st choice), RSO, NOVA, and Maryland. I also successfully completed the summer TEXOCOP program at UHCO. I have 150 hrs shadowing an optometrist. At this point my optomcas is completed and submitted, just waiting on verification.

Here is the problem. I never took Biochemistry. I know this will sound ridiculous, but I just followed what my advisor told me in undergrad and took the classes she suggested. I did not notice that I needed to take Biochem for optometry school, and she never told me either. I just learned yesterday from a friend that it is indeed a requirement.

My question is, has anyone ever gotten a pre-req waived by optometry school? I'm mainly interested in UHCO because it is my primary choice, but any advice would be appreciated.

Take Biochemistry 351 at CSU with Dr. Sholders.

I don't think they would simply "waive" a required pre requisite. You might have to take it at a community college or somewhere before you start Optometry school. The best thing to do is call the school, explain your situation and see what they say.
Yep you are right. I spoke with them and they said they waive only in very specific circumstance like when there is not enough time left. Luckily this won't hurt my application process. I'll just have to take the class somewhere before August.

Since you seemed to be pretty informed, based on my stats do you think I have a shot of getting an interview?

Last edited:
Take Biochemistry 351 at CSU with Dr. Sholders.
Thanks but I'm not in Colorado! I'll have to find somewhere in Dallas. I think a community college wont be a good idea because this is an upper level science class, so probably some place like UTD or UTA.

I'm almost certain they will not waive the prerequisite. I also don't think i'd recommend giving the UHCO the full story as to why you didn't take biochem. They would probably see it as a lack of preparation on your part, not researching the prerequisites for schools you're applying to (especially your top school). They'll probably tell you to take it online or at a community college.
Yep, that's exactly what happened when I told them.

Thanks but I'm not in Colorado! I'll have to find somewhere in Dallas. I think a community college wont be a good idea because this is an upper level science class, so probably some place like UTD or UTA.

I live in Texas as well. Online course with all lectures pre-recorded. He is also available and will email/call daily.

Call the office, sometimes they will substitute for another course such as Organic chemistry 2.

I am first year at UHCO and no, you have to take biochemistry. I did my undergrads in UTA so I think you can take a course there. Your oat is right as average for our class so you don't need to retake it but your science gpa is a little low. How long have you been submitted your application? It usually takes them a while to get back to you. Bit I saw they interview people everyweek now. Good luck!

I didn't take Biochem in undergrad but I did take a class called Molecular Cell Biology. When I talked to my school while applying, they said that was acceptable. They want to know you've taken a class that covers general cell processes (Kreb's, glycolysis, electron transport, etc). If you've taken a class that covers that material, you may be in the clear.