Mississippi State 2020 applicants

Started by rockatiel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

This is the only thread that I could find about MSU c/o 2020, so I'm bumping it back up. Who else is applying?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for you guys: Is there any supplemental application besides the supplemental fee? I answered the additional questions in the VMCAS app, but I want to make sure there is nothing else.
 
I couldn't find one! I did pay a separate $55 supplemental fee on their website, though.
 
Great! I submitted my app on Friday. Are you IS or OOS rockatiel?
 
Question for you guys: Is there any supplemental application besides the supplemental fee? I answered the additional questions in the VMCAS app, but I want to make sure there is nothing else.

I had to fill out a supplemental form when I applied last year. If there is a fee than there should be a form. If you can't find it to down load it call the school and talk to missy
 
This is what I found on the website under Student Admissions.

Does MSU-CVM have a supplemental application?

In 2015, additional questions specific to MSU-CVM should be answered in the “Questions” section on the MSU-CVM section of VMCAS.
 
Mississippi State doesn't have a portal or anything to check the status of your application, right? I haven't seen anything.
 
They don't. They will email you with interview invites

Do they email or send anything at all between the submission of your application and an interview invite? I just haven't received any emails from them so I want to make sure.
 
we got emails once they receive your application, then another one right before they start reviewing them. They review them all at once around december and then you get email for interview early jan, maybe late december. My interview was Feb 11th, and got call of acceptance like 2 weeks later. Good luck ya'll, I know this is stressful process, especially those of you pushing through your final semester in undergrad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an email on October 6 that said they received my VMCAS application and decisions about interviews should be made in December, with interviews being held in late January and early February and final admissions decisions by early March. From what I've read on previous years' MSU applicant threads, interview invites went out around Christmas, so I'm hoping they'll shoot for early December this year since the VMCAS deadline was moved up a month. One can hope, anyway!
 
Has anyone heard anything about their app being complete? I just realized that I may not meet all of their requirements. ANNDDDD I didn't realize that supplemental fees were due on the 15th and paid mine after... So I'm just assuming I'm out
 
Has anyone heard anything about their app being complete? I just realized that I may not meet all of their requirements. ANNDDDD I didn't realize that supplemental fees were due on the 15th and paid mine after... So I'm just assuming I'm out
I got this email on oct 1st:

"Hello! We have received your VMCAS application at Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine (MSU-CVM) and are happy to have you in our applicant pool for the Class of 2020. We are processing all applicant information and will communicate via email if we have any questions. Please remember that it is the responsibility of the applicant to be sure that files are complete. We communicate electronically so keep an eye on your email.

Here's our process from here--we'll spend the fall reviewing files. Decisions regarding interviews should be made in December; not all applicants are invited for interviews, but an interview is required to continue in our admissions process. Interviews will be held in late January and early February and final admissions decisions should be made by early March.

Again, we thank you for you interest in MSU-CVM and hope for the opportunity to get to know you better throughout this process."

I would call them if you have any concerns! I've called and they are helpful and quick to return your call
 
I'm going to today. In past threads they notified past applicants with a "file complete" email. I got that same one from Missy October 30th!
 
Not to worry! Missy told me my file is with the committee! She said she's sending out an update next week, one the start of the month, and then of course interview invites around Christmas.
 
Aw, I figured interview invites would go out closer to the beginning of December since the deadline was a month earlier than previous years. Thanks for the update though!
 
Aw, I figured interview invites would go out closer to the beginning of December since the deadline was a month earlier than previous years. Thanks for the update though!

Just seeing this lol the deadline was moved up to accommodate for extra verification time since VMCAS has changed quite a bit. It has no effect on the schedule of the schools, however. Disappointing I know.
 
The end of December feels like forever away! It's OS for me, but my two favorite vets that I work(ed) with both went to MSU and have given nothing but good recommendations for it, or else I probably wouldn't have applied.

Has anyone heard about the interview process?
 
It really is! I thought we were getting an update this week, based on what Missy told rockatiel. Wishful thinking, I suppose. 🙁
 
Yep, I thought that would be the case. But I also know that it's thanksgiving so I know the school has probably been closed most of the week!

on the phone last week, Missy told me that they are reviewing files for all qualified applicants now. What qualified means, I'm not certain of. She did say there would be an update sent out this week, however she said an email would be sent around Christmas, and I'm pretty sure this is interview decisions. It's sooner than we all think. If you're not sure of anything I'd definitely call Missy, she's very helpful and may tell you even more than she told me!

Happy thanksgiving guys!
 
The end of December feels like forever away! It's OS for me, but my two favorite vets that I work(ed) with both went to MSU and have given nothing but good recommendations for it, or else I probably wouldn't have applied.

Has anyone heard about the interview process?

They are currently in file reviews. Interview decisions should come around Christmas. If you're asking about what the interviews will actually be like... I have no clue!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They are currently in file reviews. Interview decisions should come around Christmas. If you're asking about what the interviews will actually be like... I have no clue!

Ahhh okay! I believe I heard that they notifications should be sent out near the end of December, but I hadn't heard anything about the interview process itself (how it goes, people's experience with it, etc..). But to my knowledge, MSU seems sort of laid back and chill. Or maybe I'm just telling myself that. 0_0
 
Ahhh okay! I believe I heard that they notifications should be sent out near the end of December, but I hadn't heard anything about the interview process itself (how it goes, people's experience with it, etc..). But to my knowledge, MSU seems sort of laid back and chill. Or maybe I'm just telling myself that. 0_0

That time line sounds about right! The interviews are extremely laid back. It will usually be 2-3 clinicians (at least one of which that has had your file the whole time) and about 30 minutes long. There is a pizza social the night before (at least that's what it was last year, there will be some type of social though I'm sure) interviews to meet with some of the current first and second years and of course with those students that will be interviewing with you. Then the next morning there is an orientation where they tell you all about the school and curriculum. They are very good about not hiding anything. It gets you really relaxed about the whole process. It was by far the best interview experience I had. Hope that helps and good luck! We are looking forward to meeting y'all!
 
Last edited:
Thank you, @theboslady! Is MSU one of the last vet schools to send out interview invites? All my friends applying to medical and dental schools have already begun to receive official acceptances, so I'm curious as to why vet schools wait so late. It's a little frustrating, honestly, but I'm more anxious than anything!
 
Thank you, @theboslady! Is MSU one of the last vet schools to send out interview invites? All my friends applying to medical and dental schools have already begun to receive official acceptances, so I'm curious as to why vet schools wait so late. It's a little frustrating, honestly, but I'm more anxious than anything!

It's high applicant volume mixed with every program being highly competitive.
 
Got an update, y'all! (of course when I saw an email from MSU I got way too excited thinking it was about an interview)

"December 2, 2015

Hello again from Mississippi State University's College of Veterinary Medicine! We wanted to touch base with everyone to let you know that we continue to work through application files for the Class of 2020.

Here are a few reminders for you:

(1) We plan to complete our application reviews by early December, and you should receive email notification from us no later than December 23 regarding your interview status, i.e. whether or not you received one. Please keep an eye on your email.

(2) Interviews are scheduled for January 25-27, 2016 and February 1-3, 2016.

(3) If you have courses scheduled this fall or next spring and those courses are among our prerequisites, you will be expected to successully complete those courses. Please remember that we do not allow summer 2016 courses. All requirements must be met by the end of the spring 2016 semester.

Again, we thank you for your interest in our College of Veterinary Medicine. As always, if you have any questions or if we can be of assistance to you, please contact us. "
 
Hey y'all! Current MSU student here! Just letting you know that I was in Missy's office yesterday, and she reminded me that we got a couple of "We haven't forgotten about you" emails before the actual interview invitations. Best I remember, mine didn't come until just before Christmas. I know it's an agonizing wait, but you've all worked so hard, and it will all be worth it soon! 🙂 Also, let me know if you have any questions about the process, interviews, Starkville, MSU, or anything else! 🙂
 
The end of December feels like forever away! It's OS for me, but my two favorite vets that I work(ed) with both went to MSU and have given nothing but good recommendations for it, or else I probably wouldn't have applied.

Has anyone heard about the interview process?
I interviewed last year and taking finals here now to wrap up first semester. You will really feel welcomed and at home during interview, so do your best to breath and not freak out. They want to get to know you more. Good luck!!!
 
I also applied as OOS! December 23rd is going to be here before we know it!
 
Has anyone gotten emails yet? I suppose people would've posted the news already, but with the holidays & finals going on, I know people aren't really paying much attention to SDN as usual.
December 23rd is six days away & I'm dying with anticipation!
 
Nope! One different from what's above. Just basically said they are working very hard to finish file reviews and "days prior to Christmas" we will hear something. At the latest, we will know by Jan 1st. But I believe the 23rd is the day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected.. To those offered interviews- congrats! Also, would you mind sharing your stats/experiences?
 
Also rejected :/ That makes two schools for me. But congrats to all those who got interviews! As mentioned above, would you mind sharing your stats/experiences?
 
Does anyone know how many OOS seats are available here? Don't have exact daughter's stats, but approx.....3.5 overall, 3.7 science, 5,000 hrs vet tech, 500 research, club leadership positions, several varsity letters...