Mississippi State c/o 2023.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wait did they say they would be sending out denials at all or is everyone not accepted just put on the alternate list?
Not everyone gets on the waitlist, but if waitlists are going out now then all decisions have been made and they will continue sending those (not sure if they will finish today or not), followed by the rejections after all waitlist notifications are out. This is assuming they do what they’ve always done. Additionally, they will say the waitlist moves when people decline their seat but they don’t call until the national acceptance deadline. Stay very positive! In the past the waitlist has been a great place to be! Be proud!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not everyone gets on the waitlist, but if waitlists are going out now then all decisions have been made and they will continue sending those (not sure if they will finish today or not), followed by the rejections after all waitlist notifications are out. This is assuming they do what they’ve always done. Additionally, they will say the waitlist moves when people decline their seat but they don’t call until the national acceptance deadline. Stay very positive! In the past the waitlist has been a great place to be! Be proud!
How does the alternate list work? Do they call people as others decline, or do they wait until after the national deadline?
 
does anyone know how far they've gone down the list before? i know it varies each year

My mentor is a second year and she was in the third quadrant. She also told me that they even went through the whole list and called people that were originally denied. Keep up the hope!
 
My mentor is a second year and she was in the third quadrant. She also told me that they even went through the whole list and called people that were originally denied. Keep up the hope!

thanks for the hope 🙂 fourth quartile here so trying to keep my chin up!
 
Need some advice... I’m #8 on the alternate list and feel pretty good about getting a call in April but I also was accepted somewhere else. I feel like I still need to put a deposit down at the other school just to be safe... what’s your opinion? Should I put the $500 deposit down and pretty much guarantee losing it or risk not putting a deposit and for some reason not getting the call from Mississippi? I know $500 isn’t a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but I still dont want to just throw money away for nothing
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need some advice... I’m #8 on the alternate list and feel pretty good about getting a call in April but I also was accepted somewhere else. I feel like I still need to put a deposit down at the other school just to be safe... what’s your opinion? Should I put the $500 deposit down and pretty much guarantee losing it or risk not putting a deposit and for some reason not getting the call from Mississippi? I know $500 isn’t a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but I still dont want to just throw money away for nothing
My friend was pulled from the third quartile in April last year. As current students have said, there have been years where they went through the entire waitlist and called people who were originally denied. I can’t think of a reason, short of accepting twice the class size before waitlisting, that things would be much different this year. Especially being #8. I’m not at Mississippi, I don’t know what it’s like, but from an objective third party who likes to have all of his ducks in a row and has an incessant need to be in control of the stressors in my life, I’d put down the deposit. If you like the 99% chance of getting pulled off the waitlist, by all means don’t give your deposit to the other school. I’m sure everyone else will say that you’re sure to get in off the waitlist as well. But if that 1% chance will eat you alive between now and the third week of April when you’ll probably get the call like it would for me, then put down the deposit. Is peace of mind worth $500? That part is up to you.
 
So if there are any current students on here or students that have had this experience that has any advice I would appreciate some insight. I am in Texas and in the 2nd quartile as an OOS alternate. Being that we will not hear until April or possibly later when is the best time to start looking for housing? For someone who doesn't know the area or the people there very well I am concerned if I do get in then April or May will be too late to secure housing but I would hate to sign or pay for something and then not get accepted. Thanks in advance !
 
So if there are any current students on here or students that have had this experience that has any advice I would appreciate some insight. I am in Texas and in the 2nd quartile as an OOS alternate. Being that we will not hear until April or possibly later when is the best time to start looking for housing? For someone who doesn't know the area or the people there very well I am concerned if I do get in then April or May will be too late to secure housing but I would hate to sign or pay for something and then not get accepted. Thanks in advance !
I got accepted off the waitlist last year and started looking in April. There were still PLENTY of places to live. Once you get accepted you will get added to your class page on Facebook and there will be multiple post about housing options. I wouldn’t advise putting money down until you get an acceptance.
 
Awesome ! Thanks for the advice !
I got accepted off the waitlist last year and started looking in April. There were still PLENTY of places to live. Once you get accepted you will get added to your class page on Facebook and there will be multiple post about housing options. I wouldn’t advise putting money down until you get an acceptance.