Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowyakkin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found Missouri's animal use policy online? I've been searching their website and can't seem to find it. Would be nice to know before interviewing.

Also, any OOSers who are interviewing...have you found a cheap hotel in the area? Any current students/locals have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a good sense of the animal use policy from their online college catalog: http://cvm.missouri.edu/catalog/

In the Table of Contents, click on "Professional Curriculum."

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey cowyakkin,

I'm a VM2 at Missouri. Any hotel in Columbia will be close enough to the school...I'd just go for whichever is cheapest (any of the normal hotels are nice enough). If you've got any other questions at all, feel free to message me (I'm bad about checking this board nowadays). Hope you enjoy your time here! The interview is really laid back so don't stress!

So, does anyone know if Missouri is done sending out interview invites? Do they normally send them all at once, or are they sort of staggered? I'm a little too nervous to call and ask.:oops:

So, does anyone know if Missouri is done sending out interview invites? Do they normally send them all at once, or are they sort of staggered? I'm a little too nervous to call and ask.:oops:

I don't know, but if you find out let me know.

Hey everyone..I was wondering if any of you guys received an e-mail from MIZZOU letting you know what materials they are missing and/or received. I have not received anything from them since Nov. when the appications were due. It's making me nervous :confused:

Thanks!!!!!!

Hello All,

So I just called missouri because I was also worried that I hadn't heard anything yet. They said that all OOS interview offers have already been sent out and the admissions committee has them in a "holding pattern" as to if they are going to send out more interview offers or when they will be sending out rejection notices. Guess that means in didn't receive an interview offer... :(
Also, regarding the printable version of the application, that is not ready yet, they are having some sort of IT problems. Hope that helps!

They said that all OOS interview offers have already been sent out and the admissions committee has them in a "holding pattern" as to if they are going to send out more interview offers or when they will be sending out rejection notices.

This seems a little weird. Is Mizzou waiting for current OOS interviewees to decline their interview before sending out more interview invites? Or...will Mizzou send out more interview invites if they reject any of the initial interviewees? Or...nobody is really rejected until they fill up their class? "Holding pattern" for rejection notices???

Seems kinda cruel to me.

Last edited:
Dang--rejection #2. :(

Loo, I sent an email to them and got a similar response to BeeBee82's. My email also said that, while they couldn't rule out any more invites being sent, in past years they only sent them once and did not invite other people after the first wave of invites. So basically, if someone hasn't already gotten an invitation, they probably won't.

That's too bad.

I have a good buddy applying OOS to Mizzou and he hasn't heard a peep from them...guess it won't end well:(

Jeez, he's just turning in his last transcript...all A's too! What a waste of postage.

There website also says that some applicants are excepted without interviews based on an outstanding application. Lets be positive, maybe we're all awesome!!! I'll need some luck to fall in that category, but Keeping my fingers crossed! :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
So I noticed that when I printed my completed application from the website the inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry spaces were in bold and said: No Information Recorded or Asked. I hope that means that it is not required. When I was filling out the application they didn't ask for my gen chem and organic info. Dose anybody have that on their applicaion also? I thought that those classes were not part of the core required classes.....did I miss something???? :scared:

Thanks!!

Hey guys,
So I noticed that when I printed my completed application from the website the inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry spaces were in bold and said: No Information Recorded or Asked. I hope that means that it is not required. When I was filling out the application they didn't ask for my gen chem and organic info. Dose anybody have that on their applicaion also? I thought that those classes were not part of the core required classes.....did I miss something???? :scared:

Thanks!!

I noticed this too and emailed them about it.
They wrote back with this response:
"We no longer require a set number of hours for inorganic and organic chem. We just need 3 semester hours of biochemistry"

So does anyone know if those of us who didn't get an interview will get a rejection letter?

This seems a little weird. Is Mizzou waiting for current OOS interviewees to decline their interview before sending out more interview invites? Or...will Mizzou send out more interview invites if they reject any of the initial interviewees? Or...nobody is really rejected until they fill up their class? "Holding pattern" for rejection notices???

Seems kinda cruel to me.

I agree, that is really strange. If it's true that they have sent out all of their OOS interview invites and they rarely invite more people to interview, why did they bother sending me an email on 12/30/08 to tell me that my application is complete and to log on to my account and check everything.

I agree, that is really strange. If it's true that they have sent out all of their OOS interview invites and they rarely invite more people to interview, why did they bother sending me an email on 12/30/08 to tell me that my application is complete and to log on to my account and check everything.

I would assume so that one could download a copy of one's application to review (or save) before an interview (that you may or may not have received an invitation to).:D

Good luck to OOS applicants still awaiting your fate...:luck:

So does anyone know if those of us who didn't get an interview will get a rejection letter?

I *think* you will get a rejection letter if you are an OOS applicant and have not received an email from the admissions office...best to check with them to make sure.

IS? Who knows?

Heading off tomorrow for Missou to interview...and I JUST realized we need a picture of ourselves to bring :eek: -AAAHH! Don't have one! So my plan is to drive myself into town with my little rental car and go to a Walgreens and get a passport photo taken of me. Way to already screw up... I hate leaving things to the last minute....

For Cowyakkin or anyone else headed to Mizzou for OOS interviews, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be glad to help out how I can if you have any questions or need any assistance. :)

Heading off tomorrow for Missou to interview...and I JUST realized we need a picture of ourselves to bring :eek: -AAAHH! Don't have one! So my plan is to drive myself into town with my little rental car and go to a Walgreens and get a passport photo taken of me. Way to already screw up... I hate leaving things to the last minute....

Good luck cowyakkin! Let us know how it went! I'll be at interviews all weekend so I'll be around. There should be tons of ambassadors around so feel free to ask us anything you want and you'll get a straight answer.

I got my denial letter in the mail yesterday. Not too bummed since I knew Mizzou was a long shot for me, anyways. Good luck to anyone interviewing, though!

My rejection came today, but its okay, this site gave me a good heads up. I shouldnt be dissapointed because iv been accepted to Ohio State, but it still hurts.

A big thank you to Electophile, RazorDoc, and all the student ambassadors at Missouri. The school knows how to showcase itself. An impressive animal hospital, teaching facility, and college in America's heartland. Kathy Seay, the dean, and the student recruiter created an event that was more like a pre-vet conference than a stress filled, cut-throat interview session.

For all you folks meeting the pre-vet requirements in 3 years of undergrad work, Missouri is your place. Amazing the number of students in school that got in after 3 years.....wish I had known that.

Thanks again for a great weekend!

Pete

Hey Pete, glad you enjoyed yourself and that it wasn't too bad stress-wise! :D Which day were you there? If you made it to the lunch, I was the one who talked about buying a house...every single day, as it turns out. :laugh: Ah well, if you think of any additional questions about the school or the city or whatever else, let us know! :cool:

A big thank you to Electophile, RazorDoc, and all the student ambassadors at Missouri. The school knows how to showcase itself. An impressive animal hospital, teaching facility, and college in America's heartland. Kathy Seay, the dean, and the student recruiter created an event that was more like a pre-vet conference than a stress filled, cut-throat interview session.

For all you folks meeting the pre-vet requirements in 3 years of undergrad work, Missouri is your place. Amazing the number of students in school that got in after 3 years.....wish I had known that.

Thanks again for a great weekend!

Pete

Glad you enjoyed your time here! And I'll second what Electrophile said, please let us know if we can answer any questions you may think of later.

Had my Mizzou interview this weekend also, and I agree, it was comfortable and casual and there were soo many people around to ask questions. I had a really good experience. I interviewed on Friday morning RazorDoc and Electrophile - not sure if either of you were ambassadoring. Went to the lunch on Friday also, and the tour and the van tour :). I had hesitations about Mizzou initally just because of location, but Columbia is a cute little town and everyone was so enthusiastic. Will keep you posted if I come up with any questions I forgot to ask... thanks

You lucked out, I think that was my favorite lunch. Prime rib, yum! :) I've been in Columbia since 2000 when I started undergrad here and it's really interesting to see it grow in a just under a decade. Columbia's actually really not that small any more...just passed the 100,000 mark and is rapidly expanding. Too fast, some say! I like it cause it's got just about whatever you need. Two big cities less than 2 hours away, tons of outdoor activities (biking, hiking, dog friendly, fishing, hunting, all within about a 15-20 minute drive, and the Lake of the Ozarks is only about 1.5 hours away too), most stores you can think of at the mall or around town, cultural attractions and wineries, not too liberal, not too conservative, CHEAP housing and modest living expenses. It's pretty balanced. Maybe I'll miss it just a little when I move... :laugh:

I also had my interview with Missouri this past Saturday and I thought the interview was very laid back and casual. I hope that the rest of the potential applicants had the same experience I did. I am not sweating out the acceptance as much anymore since I got my acceptance package from Edinburgh yesterday ( WOOO HOOOO)!!!

I received this e-mail today.... did anyone else get this??

The Admission Committee has selected your application for further review.
There is the possibility that we will be providing our non-Missouri residents additional seats for the 2009 entering class. Student applications selected for further review will be evaluated and ranked, without interviews, for these additional seats.
Again, this review is being offered with the possibility of additional seats becoming open for the 2009 entering Class. Notification of placement on the alternate list will be released prior to April 15, 2009.

I remember Kathy talking about the committee to talk to the provost about adding 20 to 30 additional seats for this years class of 2013. Maybe this email you got would be the additional seats?:eek:

i am excited that it's not a rejection letter, there is still hope. i interviewed at missouri last year and was waitlisted so i'm used to being waitlisted... now i just have to wait

I got one as well. Hope is still out there.

Hey, were all in the same boat, if we all get in, then throw away the champagne and bring in the malt liquor!!!!!!

i am excited that it's not a rejection letter, there is still hope. i interviewed at missouri last year and was waitlisted so i'm used to being waitlisted... now i just have to wait

Yep. I got one too. Surprized the hell out of me! :p

DogLover824, I was under the impression that they are just reviewing our applications w/o interview (for possible acceptance) pending the addition of more seats, not necessarily that we are on some sort of waitlist...... or are we? :confused:

Hmmmm.... re-reading email... now I'm not so sure. Oh well, We'll find out soon!

Cowyakin and Jaydog12, you both got accepted elsewhere, is Missouri your first choice?

If I am lucky enough to have a decision I think it may come down to what is most "affordable" (ha). So, I don't know is the answer to that question. I haven't visited any other school yet aside from Mizzou so its a little hard to compare at this point anyway.

About the letters you guys are receiving: they told us at the interview that they are waiting for approval for another 20 or so spots. They had 100 OOSers interview for the initial 20 spots. Last year they had to accept between 50 and 60 people to actually fill 20 spots, because people turned them down for their IS, etc. So, if they do get approval for those additional spots then my assumption would be that they would invite all or nearly all of the people they actually interviewed and then either wait to hear some responses or immediately accept additional applicants. Do the letters say whether they actually approved the class size increase?

They told those of us that interviewed that we should hear by mid-February.

This is the last paragraph in the email.

Again, this review is being offered with the possibility of additional seats becoming open for the 2009 entering Class. Notification of placement on the alternate list will be released prior to April 15, 2009.

Congratulations to everyone who has to make a tough decision in April. May we all be so blessed.

I am also in a position at what is most affordable right now. I got accepted to the University of Edinburgh, so getting into an AVMA accredited school is done. If I get accepted to Mizzou, I need to see what the policy of becoming an in-state resident of Missouri (I think you have to live in Missouri for a year before you may get granted to be a resident of Missouri (sounds fishy to me since, why would a school want to lose more tutition money unless they truly do care). From what I have searched, it is cheaper for me to got to Edinburgh than to go to Missouri out of state (which includes tution and cost of living).

I am also in a position at what is most affordable right now. I got accepted to the University of Edinburgh, so getting into an AVMA accredited school is done. If I get accepted to Mizzou, I need to see what the policy of becoming an in-state resident of Missouri (I think you have to live in Missouri for a year before you may get granted to be a resident of Missouri (sounds fishy to me since, why would a school want to lose more tutition money unless they truly do care). From what I have searched, it is cheaper for me to got to Edinburgh than to go to Missouri out of state (which includes tution and cost of living).

I admit, I don't understand either why the school lets you gain residency missing out on a huge chunk of money, but I promise you, it's easy to do. Almost all of the OOS people in my class have since gained residency (I have not, but I am on contract from my state) and it's basically: make $2,000 of taxable income, change your voter registration, license plate, etc. and voila...you're paying in-state tuition starting VM-2. No BS, or at least, as little as can be expected. Let me know if you have any questions on it, and congrats on your acceptance to Edinburgh!

Well, that shouldn't be too bad then, I guess the worst part is having to deal with the local DMV...:scared:

Well, that shouldn't be too bad then, I guess the worst part is having to deal with the local DMV...:scared:

Now THERE's something that can be a holy terror no matter where you are!

Razordoc,

It was a pleasant surprise when Kathy announced the possibility of some additional OOS spots. I've noticed a number of schools increasing their numbers over the last couple of years, Univ of TN made a big jump last year. Do you know if these additional spots are as a result of MU considering larger lecture halls, creating schedules that allow for more thru-put, etc.... or will it just be more people in the same classroom? Since there are only so many microscopes, computer terminals and cadavers seems it would be hard leap to add 20 spots.

Hey...I'm not complaining, would love to have a seat at MU...just pondering on a cold night.

PP

Razordoc,

It was a pleasant surprise when Kathy announced the possibility of some additional OOS spots. I've noticed a number of schools increasing their numbers over the last couple of years, Univ of TN made a big jump last year. Do you know if these additional spots are as a result of MU considering larger lecture halls, creating schedules that allow for more thru-put, etc.... or will it just be more people in the same classroom? Since there are only so many microscopes, computer terminals and cadavers seems it would be hard leap to add 20 spots.

Hey...I'm not complaining, would love to have a seat at MU...just pondering on a cold night.

PP

Hey PP,

From the few conversations I've had regarding the increased class size, it is an attempt by the school to be more profitable. With the current economy, several schools are struggling to make ends meet and our administration felt like it was a good time to increase class size (and really, there is a nationwide shortage of veterinarians so it helps a little there too). The auditorium and Adams conference center are large enough to support the increased number and that would buy the school some time to increase the classroom sizes upstairs. The increase shouldn't really affect the curriculum. And there are plenty of microscopes to go around. For instance: histo is actually scheduled to be half the class on one day, the other half another day. It's not really done that way, but they may go to that way so they can still provide students the opportunity to have their own microscope time to look at slides and such. It may mean some students share a microscope (students who sit at the same station at different times/days), but that's how it's done with some of the other courses anyways (bacteriology lab, parasitology lab, clinical pathology lab, etc.). To my knowledge, it's never been a problem of someone wanting to study but they can't because the other person is using the scope. If it was, I'm sure there'd be people around that would join in at looking at the multi-headed scope up front as well. In regards to the number of cadavers in anatomy, an increase of 20 students would only add 1 more student to each small animal group for a total of 5. With the dog and the cat to dissect, that's still a lot of contact with each individual animal. In large animal, groups would be about 14ish with only 1 more student at the pony or cow. The administration looked at all the specifics and decided the infrastructure is there to support more students, they get more money, and it won't affect the education they're giving us. Anyways, I hope that made sense since it is a lot of rambling. If not, I'd happily clarify.

And it's cold here too...brrrr....:scared:

thanks for the info razordoc.... i really likes mizzou when i interviewed there last year, i hope i make it on the list and get called

I currently attend Mizzou but got accepted to Edinburgh also. I chose Mizzou for financial reasons (once exchange rate, cost of living, and an extra year of tuition is factored in it is at least 100K more to go to Edinburgh). It is really easy to get in state tuition - everybody here that is out of state has no problem doing it, you just have to pay out of state tuition for the 1st year. If you have any questions about getting residency just ask me!

I currently attend Mizzou but got accepted to Edinburgh also. I chose Mizzou for financial reasons (once exchange rate, cost of living, and an extra year of tuition is factored in it is at least 100K more to go to Edinburgh). It is really easy to get in state tuition - everybody here that is out of state has no problem doing it, you just have to pay out of state tuition for the 1st year. If you have any questions about getting residency just ask me!

This reminds me. Somewhere on the school's website, or maybe they gave it to you at interviews, is a breakdown of expected costs. In my experience, it GROSSLY overestimates housing, books, and that stuff. Just FYI so you can make an informed decision.

Does anyone know if the number of seats is increasing for only OOS applicants, or will they possibly accept more in-state applicants?

Also, to the current MU students, do you have any idea how many pre-vet scholars will get seats?