Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So... I was wondering what you guys think about research or the lack of. I have zero hours of research experience..do you think that is going to affect my application at Mizzou? I have no interest at this time doing research, but I feel that not having any hours is going to hurt me in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it even confirmed that OOS seats are increasing?

Does anyone know if the number of seats is increasing for only OOS applicants, or will they possibly accept more in-state applicants?

Also, to the current MU students, do you have any idea how many pre-vet scholars will get seats?
OMG I hope they increase the seat size for IS..that would be awesome!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
In the talks of increasing the class size, they requested 30 additional spots, and the thinking is that the provost, if he agreed to 30, would say OK for 20 to be OOS, and increase IS by 10 slots. So maybe a small increase in the number of IS as well. They're fairly certain he'll come through on the 20 OOS spots from what I've gathered. Ultimately, they want to keep the ratio of MO residents:OOSers approximately the same.

As far as pre-vet scholars, I have no clue. You might try Kathy Seay on that one.

RazorDoc, thanks so much for your response. I have quicky become addicted to this forum!

Do you think that they will let us know about acceptances/rejections before the Feb. 15th expected date??? :D

So... I was wondering what you guys think about research or the lack of. I have zero hours of research experience..do you think that is going to affect my application at Mizzou? I have no interest at this time doing research, but I feel that not having any hours is going to hurt me in the end.

I had zero research experience when I applied but a lot of diversity in my animal experience overall that might have made up for it. I also had virtually no large animal experience either (maybe 100 hours max). Overall I don't think it would really matter unless you said you wanted to go into research and yet had no experience doing anything related!

That makes me feel a lot better....it just seems that a lot of applicants have some kind of research in their stats and Mizzou has research as one of the categories in the non academic section ...thanks just curious.

I also had zero hours of research. In addition, I had probably 600 hours of small animal, about 50 hours of equine, and no large animal experience. I don't think it's that big of a deal if you had other things that made you "stand out" from the crowd.

BooneNMe...if they let yall know before Feb. 15th, I wouldn't expect it to be too much sooner than that. I don't remember for sure but I think it was maybe a couple of days earlier than expected when I heard from them.

I had several thousand hours of research experience with 1 year of undergrad and 3 years of grad school for my masters (in the summer in particular, you're in the lab upwards of 60+ hours a week), but I didn't have a ton of clinical experience with a vet. Like between 25 and 300 hours for all the major categories of small animal, food animal, exotics/zoo, lab animal, and equine, so I had a bit of breadth, not a ton of depth. So I have done literally about a thousand surgeries (mostly ovariectomies) on mice, but I'm not super comfortable handling cattle yet, for example.

So I emailed Kathy the other day asking if they definitely got those extra twenty seats for OOS students and she said YES!! sort of... So they got a definite 15 seats for OOSers and the last 5 will be for either OOS or IS people, just depends on who is more qualified. And she said that she's still waiting on 10 people's transcripts and if she gets them by this week then she'll be sending out letters early next week. So come on people, get your transcripts in already.

I am just wondering how many people recieved letters that they were in contention for these seats? I know that Missouri sent out rejection letters, but, did they send out 50 or a hundred waitlist for these seats?

The waiting is killing me :scared:

To the best of my knowledge, Missouri has only sent rejection letters. Kathy Seay indicated notification of acceptances and waitlist would began as soon as all fall transcripts were received. An earlier message indicated she was waiting on 10 individuals.
PP

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, so we are waiting for some lazy people to hand in their transcripts and then we'll finally find out whether we get in or not. Hooray for the excitement and damn the anxiousness. At least there additional seats for OOS students, so that raises the percentage of getting in.

I am also in a position at what is most affordable right now. I got accepted to the University of Edinburgh, so getting into an AVMA accredited school is done. If I get accepted to Mizzou, I need to see what the policy of becoming an in-state resident of Missouri (I think you have to live in Missouri for a year before you may get granted to be a resident of Missouri (sounds fishy to me since, why would a school want to lose more tutition money unless they truly do care). From what I have searched, it is cheaper for me to got to Edinburgh than to go to Missouri out of state (which includes tution and cost of living).

I am currenly doing my masters at Mizzou and just appplied to Vet School there. It really is (shockingly) easy to become a resident. I went in with all the required paper work ready to argue my case, but, litterally five minutes later this very nice lady told me I was a resident and that was all there was to it. Also, in terms of cost of living, Columbia is by far the cheapest place I've ever lived. All that being said I was also excepted to Edinburgh and think it could be an amazing chance to live in Europe. Maybe I'll see you at one school or the other.

Is a picture ID required at the time of interview at Mizzou? What about birth certificate or anything extra like that?

Yes you will need a passport picture at the time of your interveiw. When you get your interveiw invite it will explain everything you need for the interveiw. The passport picture is the only thing you need to bring...that's if they haven't changed anything since the last few times I interveiwed there. Good Luck!!

P.S have you gotten your interveiw date? I am IS also and I haven't received anything yet. I know Feb 1st was the due date for the GRE scores, Fall Transcripts, and Evaluations so I assume they should be coming soon.

Good Luck!!

Yes you will need a passport picture at the time of your interveiw. When you get your interveiw invite it will explain everything you need for the interveiw. The passport picture is the only thing you need to bring...that's if they haven't changed anything since the last few times I interveiwed there. Good Luck!!

P.S have you gotten your interveiw date? I am IS also and I haven't received anything yet. I know Feb 1st was the due date for the GRE scores, Fall Transcripts, and Evaluations so I assume they should be coming soon.

Good Luck!!

Yikes, I do not have a passport! I better email Kathy to find out if other photo IDs will be accepted.

No interview date yet, unless it was emailed this weekend while my email is down.

So you've interviewed before as IS... how was it?

Thanks so much!!

By passport photo, she meant just a passport SIZED photo of yourself, not an actual passport (unless you plan to leave the country). I was told that I would get something either by mail or email from the school sometime by the end of this week. I also learned about how to gain in-state residency for Missouri from a couple of my fellow posters here on the forum, so it will be great if I get accepted.

jaydog, who did you hear that from? Just curious because last time I emailed Kathy she told me next week. But even better if it is this week!!:D

Yikes, I do not have a passport! I better email Kathy to find out if other photo IDs will be accepted.

No interview date yet, unless it was emailed this weekend while my email is down.

So you've interviewed before as IS... how was it?

Thanks so much!!
It was not bad at all. They just ask general questions and some things from my application. There are no trick questions and really you are in there no more than 20 min. Of course I am nervous wreck which makes my voice crack but overall it is pretty smooth. You would think it would get easier every time but it doesn't... it's hard to remain calm when your future is on the line.

Well, I was referring from a comment from Pistol Pete emailing Kathy about when we should hear from the school about our decision and he got a comment about waiting for ten more transcripts to be sent in!? I just received an email two hours ago from Missouri now saying all interviews (OOS and IS) are done and will give a detail of the rankings of the interviews by next Tuesday (Jan 10). There is also a survey that can be done anonymously about the school and interview (about five short fill in comments). My guess is that will all start hearing/seeing something by the end of this week or early next week.

I just received an email two hours ago from Missouri now saying all interviews (OOS and IS) are done and will give a detail of the rankings of the interviews by next Tuesday (Jan 10). quote]

Missouri has not yet interviewed in-state applicants. I assume that is a typo?

MMMM, if you did not interview, then I suppose it must be. I am assuming then the decisions will only be for OOS students first and then IS students hear back on a later date?

MMMM, if you did not interview, then I suppose it must be. I am assuming then the decisions will only be for OOS students first and then IS students hear back on a later date?

That's correct, because they interivew IS applicants mid Feb-early March. I think the emails they send sometimes contain typos :)

Hey everyone, just wanted the 2013 applicants to know that Dean Olson has decided to officially expand the 2013 class from 80 to 110 for several reasons (the veterinary doctor shortage and to help the financial shortage were the big two reasons). Hope that helps! :)

Hey everyone, just wanted the 2013 applicants to know that Dean Olson has decided to officially expand the 2013 class from 80 to 110 for several reasons (the veterinary doctor shortage and to help the financial shortage were the big two reasons). Hope that helps! :)
Hey thanks for the great news!!! Is that for OOS and IS..how many extra seats will each have? WOW very excited now.

Please don't quote me on this, but it kind of sounded like they were leaning between splitting the seats half and half on the meeting we had on Monday. Hopefully I didn't misinterpret that and I hope that helps you guys out! :xf::luck:

sounded like they were leaning between splitting the seats half and half

That sounds rather uncomfortable, couldn't they just take less people and give everyone a whole seat?

haha...just trying to lighten things up? sorry all!

Hey thanks for the great news!!! Is that for OOS and IS..how many extra seats will each have? WOW very excited now.

Actually I think it's 20 OOS/10 IS...the email didn't say, but this is what they were leaning to around OOS interviews.

I thought he mentioned about half and half on the SCAVMA meeting on Monday night, but like I said, don't quote me on that! ;)

I think it was 20 OOS and then the rest of the 10 were left for either IS or OOS depending on who was more competitive. I'm not 100% sure on this either though, its so hard to eat and listen at the same time...:)

Hey everyone! I've been stalking this forum for like the past month to find out info, so i thought i'd finally join haha. Sooo, I received my acceptance letter in the mail today..yay!! :D Do any of the current MU vet students have any advice for where I should live? where the good/bad parts of town are, etc...Thanks!

ps...good luck to all of the class of 2013 hopefuls!

Congratulations

Hey everyone! I've been stalking this forum for like the past month to find out info, so i thought i'd finally join haha. Sooo, I received my acceptance letter in the mail today..yay!! :D Do any of the current MU vet students have any advice for where I should live? where the good/bad parts of town are, etc...Thanks!

ps...good luck to all of the class of 2013 hopefuls!

Congrats!!! I have a test coming up, but I'll be back on later and answer your question on places to live.

yay congrats!! just wondering.. are you OOS or IS and did you interivew?

Another question. How did they notify you?

I'm OOS, and I did interview. They sent me an 8.5" x 11" envelope in the mail with my acceptance letter and other info inside.

Hey everyone, just got my acceptance envelope today from Mizzou as well. I now have to get in contact with the residency office on how to obtain my in-state residency by my second year. I know i have to earn $2,000 in taxable income, change my voters registration to MO, and change driver's license to MO, and I guess do my taxes for MO and hopefully I earn state residency for MO.

Hey everyone, just got my acceptance envelope today from Mizzou as well. I now have to get in contact with the residency office on how to obtain my in-state residency by my second year. I know i have to earn $2,000 in taxable income, change my voters registration to MO, and change driver's license to MO, and I guess do my taxes for MO and hopefully I earn state residency for MO.

Congrats on your acceptance and on having a choice in where you'll be! :thumbup:

SO, everyone...seems like the time has finally come. The letters are out!!! If anyone from CA or any states close by it get their letters let me know please. This wait is killing me!! Congrats and best of luck to everyone.

does this mean applicants "under further review" will be told stuff too?? :confused:

I really do not know about the applicants who are "under further review". There were 88 OOS interviews and only 40 acceptances for those 88 (roughly 45%). The school would be sending an email about how well applicants did on their interviews by some sort of ranking system, so maybe that may help to determine a bit more whether one gets in or not. I figure that each vet school in the US is looking for "certain characteristics" in their applicant while interviewing to see if that applicant "fits" with what the school expects of a potential vet student.

I just got my interview invite via mail!!:love: Best of luck to everyone else!!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Congrats Wildzoovet, hopefully all will go well with the interview and might see you in the c/o 2013. In all honesty, you will not need to get stressed with this interview. The whole thing is 15 to 20 minutes with four committee members. The questions they ask will pretty much come straight from your application and it is geared more to understand you more as a person than your knowledge of veterinary skills. Don't panic, take it easy, and just go in to the room full of confidence. You may also have to wait a little while (tardiness), I was the last interview of the day when I went so I kind of walked around campus for an hour and a half before I was called in (originally 5:45 pm but I was called in at 7:15pm):D. Take advantage of the tours around the veterinary complex to feel more comfortable about the school's facilities. If there is any kind of good news I can give to you, if I can get into a vet school, then you should be able to hands down!

I'm in!!!! MIZZOU CVM 2013. Woo hoo!!! I got my big manilla envelope on Saturday and I'm in California. Good luck to everyone!!!

Do all students generally have the same quantity and types of clinic experiences? Or does it vary depending on where you go for preceptorships? For example, do all students graduate from Mizzou having completed the same number of spays? Do all students graduate having enough experience to work with any species?

From what I've heard from a couple 3rd year students I think the answer to my questions is "no," but I want to get everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

thanks!

Do all students generally have the same quantity and types of clinic experiences? Or does it vary depending on where you go for preceptorships? For example, do all students graduate from Mizzou having completed the same number of spays? Do all students graduate having enough experience to work with any species?

From what I've heard from a couple 3rd year students I think the answer to my questions is "no," but I want to get everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

thanks!

No, not everyone has the EXACT same experience, but no school could guarantee that for every student. There are students who will have done spays and neuters before they even get to vet school, and there are opportunities (in addition to the coursework) to do them if you choose to take them (spay-neuter clinics and the like). Every student has a different clinical rotation as well, so some students may be in food animal during calving season, and some may be there in the slow seasons. It also does vary with where you get your experience (preceptorships, etc.) so that plays a part. I think, for the most part, any graduate of the program has the knowledge base to be able to work with any species (or at least figure out how to work on them, in the case of many exotics).

And congrats to BooneNMe!!! :thumbup:

I got accepted into Missouri!!!! I really liked that school, especially after seeing the facilities and interacting with the awesome people there!

is there a preferred computer to have for Missouri's vet school? or, rather, what computer do most vet students have?