Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way, I received my acceptance letter from Mizzou on Saturday. Hooray!!!! Go Tigers! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey WildZooVet or anybody..have you heard anything new about the extra seats and the applicants on hold? I know the letter says we will know our rank after April 15th but maybe someone has some info about the situation. I guess we will probably know something then...hopefully.
Thanks!

Ok this may be a stupid question, but I'm from massachusetts and I finally made my decision on which vet school to attend, and I chose Missouri. Anyway, my question is, are there a lot of tornadoes in columbia?

Another question...I will be looking for a place to live and I am curious which areas of Columbia to avoid, such as what are the bad areas??

If you can give me a few days, I'll get back to you on what the bad areas are (tests coming up & desperately need to study). Just wanted to give a quick reply as to tornadoes. From my understanding, tornadoes are very rare in the Columbia area (although fairly frequent in surrounding areas - all due to landscape around). So low risk of tornadoes here, although I think they had one years back.

Congrats on your choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can give me a few days, I'll get back to you on what the bad areas are (tests coming up & desperately need to study).

I would definitely appreciate this info, as well, whenever you get the time! :)

OK, test over...so the bad areas (some others like Electrophile I'm sure could add in):

1. The area north of Broadway (downtown) and around Business Loop 70. And the area by Ash and/or Worley I would stay away from.

2. South of campus, on Old 63 S there are quite a few apartment complexes but these tend to be overrun with loud undergrads so I'd stay away from there (if you keep going south, and then take Bearfield south, there are some nice duplexes and apartments back in that area. A brand new one is The Cottages that looks really nice, but I haven't heard much about it)

3. The area around Clark Lane where I-70 and I-63 intersect is a nightmare in the morning and at rush hour. The area is nice enough, but the traffic would be a bigtime problem for me.

4. Traffic can be really bad on Stadium during the morning and at rush hour as well.

Good areas (just ones off the top of my head):

1. Out on Range Line (north of campus) there are some nice places in an area called Parks Edge (Dexter Mgmt). Pretty nice places, in nice neighborhoods that allow pets.

2. Just east of I-63, there is an area called Keene's Edge where a bunch of people live (where I am right now). Dexter Mgmt. & CJS have a bunch of the duplexes in this area. Keeneland Downs is also not a bad apartment complex that allows pets. About a 6 minute drive to school in the morning.

3. If you go east and north of Keene's Edge, you get to Lake of the Woods which is a pretty nice area. Probably closer to 10 minutes to school in the morning

4. South of Stadium on Forum Blvd., there are lots of nicer apartments - Katy Place is one and there are more if you keep going but I don't know the names. These tend to be a little quieter than the ones I mentioned above.

5. The Cottages and other duplexes I mentioned above off of Bearfield.

*EDIT: Just wanted to draw yalls attention to this site: https://cvmsecure.missouri.edu/cvmpubservice/

There are quite a few listings for people looking to rent or sublease their duplexes. These are vet students as well (many of them VM-4's) so if you had any questions they should give you a straight answer.

Anyways, hope that helps, and if I can help any more let me know!

I live in a duplex off Bearfield with my boyfriend, we split rent that is $690 a per person for 3 bedroom, 2 bath, garage, any pets ok except for dogs. If you decide to live somewhere off Bearfield don't pay more than 690$ or else you are getting ripped off. Also, the duplexes off of Bearfield b/w Grindstone (north) and Nifong (south) is kind of garage party central and can be somewhat roudy. It doesn't bother me though since I am pretty social with my neighbors and the cops are always breaking up parties on my culdesac when they get really obnoxious. It is kind of hit or miss depending on your neighbors.

I was told that Ashland is a nice place to live. Any thoughts?

I was told that Ashland is a nice place to live. Any thoughts?

Ashland Manor? Is that the one by Tara Apts? If so I think I've heard it's a nice place. Both are within walking distance of the vet school (maybe a 3 minute walk)

Ashland Manor? Is that the one by Tara Apts? If so I think I've heard it's a nice place. Both are within walking distance of the vet school (maybe a 3 minute walk)

I mean the town of Ashland. It's about 15 minutes away from the university, I think....

I mean the town of Ashland. It's about 15 minutes away from the university, I think....

AHHH...yes, I have a friend in my class that lives in Ashland and it's a really cool place. Definitely a good place for those who want to get away from the city...just keep in mind you'll have a drive in every morning. Unfortunately, I have no idea of who'd you talk to if you were looking at a place there (and you didn't already know).

AHHH...yes, I have a friend in my class that lives in Ashland and it's a really cool place. Definitely a good place for those who want to get away from the city...just keep in mind you'll have a drive in every morning. Unfortunately, I have no idea of who'd you talk to if you were looking at a place there (and you didn't already know).

I drive 30 minutes one way to work every day so I'm not too concerned about a drive! :) Is Ashland close enough to the hospital for the rotations where we're on call for emergencies?

I drive 30 minutes one way to work every day so I'm not too concerned about a drive! :) Is Ashland close enough to the hospital for the rotations where we're on call for emergencies?

From my friends that live in Ashland (and beyond), it takes approximately 15-20 minutes which is plenty close when you're on call (I think you have 20 minutes to get to school - and they said it's only 20 minutes when there is traffic). It's easy to hit 63 N and you're at school in no time. Anyways, hope that helps.

From my friends that live in Ashland (and beyond), it takes approximately 15-20 minutes which is plenty close when you're on call (I think you have 20 minutes to get to school - and they said it's only 20 minutes when there is traffic). It's easy to hit 63 N and you're at school in no time. Anyways, hope that helps.

That is great information - thank you! Do you know anyone who lives EAST - off of I-70 east of 63? I don't want to live all the way out in Kingdom City but don't recall if there are any small towns east of Columbia but not as far east as Kingdom City....

Members don't see this ad :)
That is great information - thank you! Do you know anyone who lives EAST - off of I-70 east of 63? I don't want to live all the way out in Kingdom City but don't recall if there are any small towns east of Columbia but not as far east as Kingdom City....

Just off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who lives that direction. The only people I know that live outside of town live south towards Ashland. Sorry.

Hey, Razor Doc, you've been a great source of info so I thought I would try you again.

I tried to read the thread about the "financial issue" but it got extremely off topic and was not only not helpful but very annoying.

I think you said you established residency at Missouri, right? I talked to a 3rd year student over the summer, and she told me average debt for Missouri graduates is about $130,000. Does that sound about right to you?

Do you think it is fairly easy to get scholarships from the CVM? About how much in scholarships will they give to a single student?

For the most part, do students get enough money from loans, scholarships, and work that they can pay their tuition, rent, health insurance, buy groceries, take their pets to the doc, etc.?

Do most students carry health insurance?

Any other good financial related advice you want to offer? :)

I think you said you established residency at Missouri, right? I talked to a 3rd year student over the summer, and she told me average debt for Missouri graduates is about $130,000. Does that sound about right to you?

I did not establish residency in MO because I have a contract spot from Arkansas. Most, if not all, of my OOS friends have obtained residency so I know a little about the process. I'd say $130,000 is a bit high...I'd tend to guess that it'd be closer to the $85-90,000 range if you didn't have any undergrad debt.

Do you think it is fairly easy to get scholarships from the CVM? About how much in scholarships will they give to a single student?

That depends...For first year, there are basically no scholarships available except for the Gentle Doctor Sholarship which is one picked at large (fyi: it's about $6-8,000; everyone else gets ~$100 from it for books and such). The major opportunity for scholarships comes in years 2-4 when there are several scholarships you can apply for. These vary on how they determine who gets the sholarship - need, grades, both, or other criteria. As far as how much to a single student, I don't really know - but my girlfriend, who is wayyy smarter than me (and is a year older), had quite a bit paid for from scholarships.

For the most part, do students get enough money from loans, scholarships, and work that they can pay their tuition, rent, health insurance, buy groceries, take their pets to the doc, etc.?

Yes. The people in the biggest pinch tend to be those that are having to provide for a family in addition to those things. As far as getting the pets to the doc, you can buy vaccines from the school and in the case of a serious pet emergency, the clinicians really try to discount their service so that it is feasible. Also, various organizations give out LOADS of free pet products - flea/tick prevention, heartworm preventative, ear cleansers, wound cleansers. I have a stockpile of that stuff and still send a lot home to my parents. Also, there are several feeding programs where you can get huge discounts (Hill's, Purina) or even free food (Natura). For a normal 40# bag of Hill's adult maintenance dog food, it'd probably cost about $15 (and all those funds go to our SCAVMA chapter).

Not sure about how many do or not, but health insurance is offered via AVMA GHLIT (Group Health Life Insurance Trust). I honestly don't know much about it (I'm lucky enough to still be carried by my parent's HI), but if you're interested, I can tell you who you could talk to.

You might want to put together a budget and figure out the absolute least you can live on. A good rule is to just borrow what you absolutely need for the necessities you listed above. You can always take out a little more later if needed (if you're not at your max).

If I can answer anything else, let me know!

Not to change the subject but does anybody know when Mizzou will start contacting the alternates? I can't wait any longer!!! I know tomorrow is the deadline to accept a seat but could we hear as early as the end of this week? Also, has anybody heard anything more about the extra seats? The Missouri thread has been a little quiet regarding this.
Thanks for any info!!!

Hey, Razor Doc, you've been a great source of info so I thought I would try you again.

I tried to read the thread about the "financial issue" but it got extremely off topic and was not only not helpful but very annoying.

That debt probably includes people who have undergrad debt so it really depends. I spend about $7,000 a year on everything other than tuition - I live with my boyfriend and split rent, food etc. As far as loans go I think the financial aid offered was something ridiculous like $54,000 for out of state the first year so unless you are planning on needing more than $24,000 to live on once tuition is paid I wouldn't worry about it! As far as scholarships go I did get a couple at the end of 1st year but I wouldn't say that it is typical. I have a feeling that most of them were just class rank based and need based (maybe they felt sorry for my OOS tuition) so unless you met the cut-off you were pretty much out of luck. I know some students who do not have health insurance but think that it is pretty stupid to go uninsured. If you don't have any you can get the AVMA's or purchase it from the school but for God’s sake the money you save by being uninsured is not worth going bankrupt over emergency medical bills if something happens to you!

Thanks for the information Razordoc and Ratbandit. Honestly though, I don't know how anyone can live on $7000 a year!!! I pay that much in rent. I am single, have zero support from family or a spouse, and don't intend to have a roommate. So I'll have rent which I anticipate to be $500-600 a month, utilities, car insurance, groceries, etc etc.... I actually anticipate needing about $20,000 a year to live on. Is that way more than most students live on? maybe I've had a good, steady income for too long, but I think that I can be only so frugal! :)

Not to change the subject but does anybody know when Mizzou will start contacting the alternates? I can't wait any longer!!! I know tomorrow is the deadline to accept a seat but could we hear as early as the end of this week? Also, has anybody heard anything more about the extra seats? The Missouri thread has been a little quiet regarding this.
Thanks for any info!!!

I don't know anything, but I have a couple of friends who were being ranked for the extra seats so I find out anything from one of them I will let you know. Hang in there!

me being impatient like always, i e-mailed Kathy about the application under review and additional seats... this is what she said...

The Committee is finishing up their review of additional out of state applications so that a decision can be made for the increase of 30 seats this fall. After reviewing the scores of the non-resident applications compared to the Missouri applicants scores they decide how many of the 30 seats go to whom. You could be sent an accept letter, a position on the alternate list, or a letter removing you from further consideration.

Letters I hope can go out of here by the end of next week, or first of the next week. Soon as I have the results, I’ll get them mailed out.

Thanks for the heads up! It's kind of scary that we could be removed from further consideration...I hope not!! All this time and still could be rejected. Thank you for info. Good Luck !!

Just a heads-up! I got a phone call from Kathy today asking whether I wanted to still be considered for one of the additional OOS seats. I replied that I would like to withdraw my application as I am attending UC Davis.
Hope that helps someone else!

I just received my acceptance in the mail and I still can't believe it !! I'm really excited to meet everyone in the fall.

Thanks to all who declined Mizzou because my application was on hold and I'm sure it was because of your generosity that I was able to move to the top of the pile. :D

Just a heads-up! I got a phone call from Kathy today asking whether I wanted to still be considered for one of the additional OOS seats. I replied that I would like to withdraw my application as I am attending UC Davis.
Hope that helps someone else!

oo i got that call a few days ago too... and declined for another school. YAY W2BVet! congrats for getting in!

I just received my acceptance in the mail and I still can't believe it !! I'm really excited to meet everyone in the fall.

Thanks to all who declined Mizzou because my application was on hold and I'm sure it was because of your generosity that I was able to move to the top of the pile. :D

Congrats! Let me know if I can answer any questions!

I am going to be a first year also and I am looking for a roommate. Is anyone else looking? Just let me know!

has anyone gotten their mizzou e-mail address yet?

has anyone gotten their mizzou e-mail address yet?
I just sent in my deposit check yesterday so of course I don't have one yet. Hopefully soon! I can't wait!!

Also has anybody heard anything about Providence Court, Tiger Village, or Rock Bridge apartments?
I know there were a few apartments mentioned in an earlier post but does anyone have any more suggestions for 1-2 bedroom apartments that allow a medium size dog and is in a good part of town?

Thanks for your help!!

I was told that financial aid packets would be sent out near end of this month, so expect to find out your mizzou email address at that time (my guess). But they were a little behind on sending out acceptance letters to IS applicants and were behind on sending out letters to those being considered for the additional seats, so I kind of expect them to be delayed in sending out other information....

hoooooooly ****, i got a call from kathy yesterday asking if i wanted to still be considered on the waitlist at missouri and she called me today with an acceptance! obviously im more than pumped, does anyone know how easy it is to establish residency after your first year and what it entails?

hoooooooly ****, i got a call from kathy yesterday asking if i wanted to still be considered on the waitlist at missouri and she called me today with an acceptance! obviously im more than pumped, does anyone know how easy it is to establish residency after your first year and what it entails?

Pretty easy...change your DL to Missouri, and your license plates & voter registration. Make $2,000 of taxable income and there may a few more things, but no one has a problem with it. I think it's talked about earlier in this thread, but if not, you might want to PM ratbandit.

Congrats!!!

Hey all! This is my first post; I will be a first year @ Mizzou starting this fall. I am from out of state, and will be looking for housing within walking distance of the school. I read through the thread & saw Ashland Manor mentioned. If anyone has any other advice about good places to check out I would appreciate it.

I look forward to meeting everybody in August!

I'm also going to be a first year at Mizzou next year, and definitely looking for housing within walking distance of the school. Is there an apartment listing or any sort of system like that to network and find roomates? If anyone has any info on housing or where most first years live that would be awesomeee.

minusthebear, I'm actually looking for a roomate as well!

I've been looking on craigslist & the MU message board, but haven't seen many listings for walking distance apts. I think I'll be visiting Columbia in a few weeks to look at some places.

Ashland Manor & Tara Apts are both within walking distance and there are a few houses around the vet school that may be available (no clue who owns these though, sorry)

apartmentfinder.com was really helpful. There are tons of apartments and such on that website. You might want to start there if you haven't already and work your way down the list. The campus has some really nice apartments for pretty cheap but they don't allow any animals except a fish or bird. http://reslife.missouri.edu/apartments
Also Brookside apartments are pretty nice too and they really like graduate/perfessional students. Keeneland Downs are decent and pretty cheap..like around $480 for two bedroom. They fill up quick though!

I hope that helps...finding a place has been difficult but I have a 60lb dog and I'm a little picky.

If I come across some other deals I'll let you know.

Thanks Razor & W2B! I don't have any pets currently, so that's not a restricting factor. Any companies or areas I should avoid? Either of you know anything about Stadium Apartments?

Also Brookside apartments are pretty nice too and they really like graduate/perfessional students. Keeneland Downs are decent and pretty cheap..like around $480 for two bedroom. They fill up quick though!

W2B - I'm picky too! What did you like or not like about Brookside and Keeneland Downs. Did you look at them already?

hoorayyyy people are looking for roomates! stealyourwords- im an out of stater too, from new hampshire actually, and although id like a place within walking distance of the school i realize that may be kinda hard to get. as an out of stater, are you considering bringing a car for the first year? i've got a car but i'm not sure if the drive to missouri from new hampshire would be all that fun, or how useful a car would really be. i cant imagine the public transportation is all that bad, but having a car around is allllllways nice

i cant imagine the public transportation is all that bad, but having a car around is allllllways nice

I don't know about Columbia, but I live in St. Louis and would be S.O.L. if I had to rely on public transportation. I think I would want to have a car if I was you....

Anyone else get into Mizzou or decline Mizzou? Sorry I couldn't resist asking... :)

hoorayyyy people are looking for roomates! stealyourwords- im an out of stater too, from new hampshire actually, and although id like a place within walking distance of the school i realize that may be kinda hard to get. as an out of stater, are you considering bringing a car for the first year? i've got a car but i'm not sure if the drive to missouri from new hampshire would be all that fun, or how useful a car would really be. i cant imagine the public transportation is all that bad, but having a car around is allllllways nice

I'm from Illinois so the drive would not be too bad for me, but I don't have a car (or the money to get one) :(

I've seen few apartments within walking distance, the main downfall (like others here have mentioned) seems to be most don't allow pets. Minusthebear -- If you're interested in possibly being roommates message me & we can chat!

W2B - I'm picky too! What did you like or not like about Brookside and Keeneland Downs. Did you look at them already?
Hey...well I have decided to lease a duplex with Brookside. It is in the south side of town which is a really nice area. The rent is decent and the duplex is a good size. They also have apartments that I think are pretty new and look very nice from the outside. Keeneland Downs is also a pretty nice place. The apartment is a good size and is in a nice area also. This place is right of 63. Both places are with in 10 min. of Mizzou. Really....most places are pretty close to the campus. I hope that helps...those were the two places that I was deciding on. You might want to also try Dexter Management and 443stop.com 443stop has TONS of places....houses, duplexes, and apartments.

Hey...well I have decided to lease a duplex with Brookside. It is in the south side of town which is a really nice area. The rent is decent and the duplex is a good size. They also have apartments that I think are pretty new and look very nice from the outside. Keeneland Downs is also a pretty nice place. The apartment is a good size and is in a nice area also. This place is right of 63. Both places are with in 10 min. of Mizzou. Really....most places are pretty close to the campus. I hope that helps...those were the two places that I was deciding on. You might want to also try Dexter Management and 443stop.com 443stop has TONS of places....houses, duplexes, and apartments.

Thank you for posting this info! I may wind up signing a lease on a place I've never seen in person, depending on how much money I can earn this summer, so this was very helpful.

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure that Keeneland Downs is already filled up. I called them and their message says they are accepting applications for the wait list and they have ONE 3-BR/2 BA available....

I would definitely be looking now, as there are 3 colleges in Columbia and the nice places fill up super fast.

Hey to you current Columbia residents :)

Is there a grocery store, WalMart, etc near the Lake of the Woods exit? Also, it looks pretty rural.... should I take this as an indication that it is also safe?

I looked at a nice place there, but my concern is there is not a good trail or anything for walking my dog or for me to go running on.

Decisions, decisions....

Hey 2013'ers I was finally able to log into myZou today!!!! There wasn't anything I could do or see (such as registration or financial aid info), but it was pretty exciting to be able to log in! :)

Last edited: