Quantcast

Mistakes in the Barron's PAT section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentist 2 be

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
628
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
I found there to be a critical mistake in the Barron's PAT practice problems. It's with the hole punching examples. I am 100000000% sure the book is incorrect. I even took a peice of paper and modeled the folding (only 2 simple folds) and hole punched the paper.

Anyone have any similar experiences with this book?

Other than that I think it does an excellent job with strategies in terms of how to approach the PAT.
 

jaerob

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
232
Reaction score
0
Dentist 2 be said:
I found there to be a critical mistake in the Barron's PAT practice problems. It's with the hole punching examples. I am 100000000% sure the book is incorrect. I even took a peice of paper and modeled the folding (only 2 simple folds) and hole punched the paper.

Anyone have any similar experiences with this book?

Other than that I think it does an excellent job with strategies in terms of how to approach the PAT.

Hey Dentist 2 be-

Unless I'm totally off base, I've found several mistakes/errors in the Barron's book and the mistakes aren't limited to the PAT section. Hopefully that makes you feel better =) Can anyone else back me up on this?

-Jae-
 

The Godfather

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
217
Reaction score
7
jaerob said:
Hey Dentist 2 be-

Unless I'm totally off base, I've found several mistakes/errors in the Barron's book and the mistakes aren't limited to the PAT section. Hopefully that makes you feel better =) Can anyone else back me up on this?

-Jae-

Totally, take the Barron's with a can of salt. I found errors all over the place. You are better served using other sources (at least for the practice tests).
 

luder98

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
652
Reaction score
0
jaerob said:
Hey Dentist 2 be-

Unless I'm totally off base, I've found several mistakes/errors in the Barron's book and the mistakes aren't limited to the PAT section. Hopefully that makes you feel better =) Can anyone else back me up on this?

-Jae-
Sure I back you up ;) I saw at least one type of math problems where they used two different formulas. They are different by a factor. Feel less lonely? :D
 

DDS2BE

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2004
Messages
870
Reaction score
1
Barron DAT material is known for mistakes. I personally think Barron is not that great of a source to study for DAT. For PAT section TopScore is the best, at least how I see it.
 

TX Hopeful

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
I also found several errors in Barron's. I think that you'll find errors in all test prep sources...but some more than others. Those who have been around longer (i.e. Kaplan) or have done their research (i.e. Topscore) are usually better. Still, they're practice tests and they can help you in your preparation. I took the first test and was frustrated with the wrong answers. So the second one, I took it but did not worry about the "scores" that I got. Rather, I took it for exposure to the questions and I looked up the answers in other reference books to make sure what I was reviewing was right.

Good luck!
 

airvent

.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
323
Reaction score
0
Yep, Barron's is notorious for mistakes. Do a search for barrons and i'm sure every thread mentions mistakes. going back a few years also.

best resource is mock exams. Kaplan has a bunch..and there is topscore also. They help point out your weaknesses
 

hmpham

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
airvent said:
Yep, Barron's is notorious for mistakes. Do a search for barrons and i'm sure every thread mentions mistakes. going back a few years also.

best resource is mock exams. Kaplan has a bunch..and there is topscore also. They help point out your weaknesses

I am totally new to this area, so please tell me what is mock exams?
I am planning to take DAT sometimes this summer. Please tell me what are the good sources(books/online) for practive. lately, I have been studying the KAPLAN book in 2003.

Thanks in advance
Heinz P
 
Top