Mizzou c/o 2026

Started by kdswg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anybody speak about their experience at Mizzou and specifically also about living in Columbia? I would like to hear from both IS and OOS students about their experiences- Mizzou is my top choice but I'm an OOS student coming from NJ and I’m pretty nervous thinking about moving half way across the country.
 
Really wondering what my realistic chances are of being pulled off of alternate list for OOS 😵‍💫 Mizzou waitlist and hearing from LMU are my only chances now ☹️
 
Hi!
Congratulations on acceptances and the alternate list! I'm a current VM1, I moved here from NH but I grew up in WA. If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to help. In general, I really like Mizzou's program. I think the curriculum is structured well and I think the extra clinical time will be endlessly beneficial. A lot of the faculty have been here a long time, which I think is a pretty good sign. Honestly, it was my last choice and I didn't get into my top choices. I was on the alternate list. I'd say you have a decent chance of being pulled off, a lot of people apply to Mizzou and don't accept their seat, so there's usually a lot of movement. I was pulled off in April, and the last person was pulled off a week before orientation started, I believe. Columbia is fine, it's not my favorite place I've lived, but it's better than I thought it would be. Pretty much has everything you need. I personally would recommend living away from campus, but some people live within walking distance. One thing to consider is the closest major airports are 2 hours away and there is very little transportation to and from. I drove from Maine with everything I owned, so I can help with some moving questions too. It's possible that I might need roommates for next year, but I would definitely recommend joining the Mizzou CVM Housing if you've decided on Mizzou.
 
Hi!
Congratulations on acceptances and the alternate list! I'm a current VM1, I moved here from NH but I grew up in WA. If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to help. In general, I really like Mizzou's program. I think the curriculum is structured well and I think the extra clinical time will be endlessly beneficial. A lot of the faculty have been here a long time, which I think is a pretty good sign. Honestly, it was my last choice and I didn't get into my top choices. I was on the alternate list. I'd say you have a decent chance of being pulled off, a lot of people apply to Mizzou and don't accept their seat, so there's usually a lot of movement. I was pulled off in April, and the last person was pulled off a week before orientation started, I believe. Columbia is fine, it's not my favorite place I've lived, but it's better than I thought it would be. Pretty much has everything you need. I personally would recommend living away from campus, but some people live within walking distance. One thing to consider is the closest major airports are 2 hours away and there is very little transportation to and from. I drove from Maine with everything I owned, so I can help with some moving questions too. It's possible that I might need roommates for next year, but I would definitely recommend joining the Mizzou CVM Housing if you've decided on Mizzou.
Manifesting myself to get pulled off too! Just wish I had a position! 😵‍💫🤞🙏
 
Manifesting myself to get pulled off too! Just wish I had a position! 😵‍💫🤞🙏
Hi!
Congratulations on acceptances and the alternate list! I'm a current VM1, I moved here from NH but I grew up in WA. If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to help. In general, I really like Mizzou's program. I think the curriculum is structured well and I think the extra clinical time will be endlessly beneficial. A lot of the faculty have been here a long time, which I think is a pretty good sign. Honestly, it was my last choice and I didn't get into my top choices. I was on the alternate list. I'd say you have a decent chance of being pulled off, a lot of people apply to Mizzou and don't accept their seat, so there's usually a lot of movement. I was pulled off in April, and the last person was pulled off a week before orientation started, I believe. Columbia is fine, it's not my favorite place I've lived, but it's better than I thought it would be. Pretty much has everything you need. I personally would recommend living away from campus, but some people live within walking distance. One thing to consider is the closest major airports are 2 hours away and there is very little transportation to and from. I drove from Maine with everything I owned, so I can help with some moving questions too. It's possible that I might need roommates for next year, but I would definitely recommend joining the Mizzou CVM Housing if you've decided on Mizzou.
Any area to stay away from or better areas? How far off campus is good?
 
Any area to stay away from or better areas? How far off campus is good?
I would personally avoid the downtown area, it's much more expensive, noisy, and more difficult to drive and park. The north side of town gets a little iffy, as in North of I-70. I live in the south part of town, I like it because it's quiet and traffic doesn't get terrible. I still live pretty close to school (about 15min), but pay much less
 
Posted a poll about OOS waitlist on the APVMA Facebook group feel free to vote in it if you’re willing, thanks! (Can’t include the link due to the group being private)
 
Does anyone know if Mizzou starts pulling from the waitlist before April 15? Or is it all after? Thanks!
 
Does anyone know if Mizzou starts pulling from the waitlist before April 15? Or is it all after? Thanks!
I think as soon as a seat opens they pull the next person so it would depend on when people start declining seats. I hope there's movement before April 15th though 😢
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed kathy about this earlier and she said that they always over accept so the waitlist doesnt move a lot until april :/
 
I emailed kathy about this earlier and she said that they always over accept so the waitlist doesnt move a lot until april :/
That’s scary! If they over accept does that mean the waitlist won’t move as much? I’ve heard like 50 spots, but that seems like a lot.
 
Last edited:
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but does anyone know how good the Mizzou Biomed science undergrad certificate is (or if its worth it for vet schools apps)? I dont think I want to do a full MS in my 1-2 year gap year, but their biomed certificate looks really interesting. My gpa is already pretty good, so I just wanted to take it to continue my education a bit while I focus on getting more vet/animal experience.
 
Question for current students/grads- how do you like the accelerated program? I believe summers are shortened and there aren't many electives throughout the program. Are you able to find meaningful experiences and determine your field of interest with summer break being shorter? Or is that primarily done in clinical rotations? Would you recommend an experience/internship prior to starting VM1 or is that overkill? Appreciate any feedback, thank you 🙂
 
If an OOS student obtains residency what is the likelihood they WONT get IS tuition after year 1? What are the chances of that happening?
I read there’s a variable number of positions for OOS students obtaining IS tuition. The fact the students can get IS tuition was one of the deciding factors for applying so I want to be sure I’m aware of any potentials to not get it.
 
Did anyone attend the faculty meeting? Any info I missed?
I had to join late so I missed the big portion myself, but they answered a ton of questions everyone had. Major point was that decisions could come out as early as a couple of weeks.
 
Question for current students/grads- how do you like the accelerated program? I believe summers are shortened and there aren't many electives throughout the program. Are you able to find meaningful experiences and determine your field of interest with summer break being shorter? Or is that primarily done in clinical rotations? Would you recommend an experience/internship prior to starting VM1 or is that overkill? Appreciate any feedback, thank you 🙂

Hi!

I’m a current first year. The accelerated program is definitely difficult. Mizzou is very exam heavy, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel with knowing we get an extra year of clinicals. I think that’s where you can really find your field of interest. There are plenty of options before that though. There are several clubs you can join in various fields so I feel like that allows you to get experiences with different things as well!
 
Hi!

I’m a current first year. The accelerated program is definitely difficult. Mizzou is very exam heavy, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel with knowing we get an extra year of clinicals. I think that’s where you can really find your field of interest. There are plenty of options before that though. There are several clubs you can join in various fields so I feel like that allows you to get experiences with different things as well!
How much opportunity do you get for hands-on experience during the didactic years?
 
How much opportunity do you get for hands-on experience during the didactic years?
Hi, also a first year. A lot of clubs have hands on opportunities, but they often can't accommodate everyone. Joining lots of clubs will give you the most opportunities. The clinical skills course which starts in January is meant to give you some experience, so far we've done some basic horse handling and physical exam skills, surgical skills, small animal physical exam skills, and communications. We'll be doing food animal for the rest of the IP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS alternate. Any idea if they give out ranks? @victhom was it you that was the #1 left when the year started 2 years ago?
 
I'm in the same boat. Any info on ranking or stats on how many people are usually taken off would be appreciated! If they give you a rank, do you have to contact them in order to know?
 
I know that myself and 2 other friends were waitlisted. Curious as to how big the list is this year. I didn’t think that many were usually waitlisted IS
 
I emailed them to ask if I could find out my ranking. I was told they can’t give a numerical rank, but could tell me that I have a “reasonably good chance” that a position may open for me. Not sure on their scale of descriptor words to know how confident I should be
 
I emailed them to ask if I could find out my ranking. I was told they can’t give a numerical rank, but could tell me that I have a “reasonably good chance” that a position may open for me. Not sure on their scale of descriptor words to know how confident I should be

I’m on OOS waitlist and now I want to email to find out if I have a “reasonably good chance”[emoji28][emoji23]
 
Does anyone know if they usually over accept in-state? Or goes directly into alternate list? Just trying to give myself a glimmer of hope haha.
 
They normally do not over accept for in state, but I know they did a couple of years ago. They also used to give out a rank for in staters, so not sure why they stopped doing that. I know that within the last few years the instate list moved from anywhere to 1-8 spots, but every year is different. I think usually the in state waitlist is around 50 spots, but seems like a lot were waitlisted this year.
 
I emailed Mizzou today about the OOS waitlist and a file review. I got an email back saying, “we don't actually expect to take students from the wait list now, if we did it would only be one or two.... I'm sorry.”

I’m not sure what to make of this…? Sounds not so promising
 
I emailed Mizzou today about the OOS waitlist and a file review. I got an email back saying, “we don't actually expect to take students from the wait list now, if we did it would only be one or two.... I'm sorry.”

I’m not sure what to make of this…? Sounds not so promising
Maybe, hopefully, they meant not before April 15
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I was accepted OOS to Mizzou, and because they offer IS tuition to students after their first year (with some stipulations of course), it's probably my cheapest option. However, I'm not sure I can handle the extremely accelerated course structure. I also know that the attrition rate for Mizzou is very high compared to other schools. Are there any current students that lurk this thread with any insight?