This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luisalguien

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I started a project to develop a software that will be able to give results of the MMPI-2 test, but I've done some research and can't seem to find the scales or categories for which each question belongs to. My question is, Is there a way to know for example if question 82 belongs to Anxiety or Fears or any of the other concepts where the question can belong to? Can I find this information in a book, or where can I find it?

Members don't see this ad.

It's in the MMPI-2 manual. No one can give this information out here up front, it's an ethics violation. Also, any software that deals with the MMPI-2 has to be okayed by U of Minnesota/Pearson.
Thanks for the reply! Where can I buy the MMPI-2 manual?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! Where can I buy the MMPI-2 manual?

You're doing research on the MMPI, but don't know where to find the manual? Is this a series post, or are you just lazy?

Reactions: 2 users
You're doing research on the MMPI, but don't know where to find the manual? Is this a series post, or are you just lazy?
I've only found interpretation manuals :/ Not the manual that I need to be able to develop a software capable of doing the correct calculations to obtain results

So in your research you've come across regents of the university of Minnesota vs AI, 1987 and have approximately $200k to give out for a similar lawsuit?

Reactions: 1 user
So in your research you've come across regents of the university of Minnesota vs AI, 1987 and have approximately $200k to give out for a similar lawsuit?

only 200k?

Why? I haven't started to develop anything, I'm just trying to understand how this tests work. There are various softwares that do this, and I'm just studying it to accomplish the same

Why? I haven't started to develop anything, I'm just trying to understand how this tests work. There are various softwares that do this, and I'm just studying it to accomplish the same

Because the content you want to work with is under copyright protection and you clearly don't have permission to use/alter it for the purpose of your project.

If you want to understand how the test works, go get the proper training. The scoring software already exists and the only way anyone can use it is to pay for a license.

Reactions: 1 users
Because the content you want to work with is under copyright protection and you clearly don't have permission to use/alter it for the purpose of your project.

If you want to understand how the test works, go get the proper training. The scoring software already exists and the only way anyone can use it is to pay for a license.
Thanks for the explanation. So even if I buy the MMPI 2 manual where I can get the information needed to get the scores, I'll have copyright issues?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the explanation. So even if I buy the MMPI 2 manual where I can get the information needed to get the scores, I'll have copyright issues?

That's correct. You can't duplicate or repackage this information without running into copyright issues.

Not to mention that you really shouldn't develop software to score an instrument that you haven't been trained to interpret, but that's a secondary priority.

That's correct. You can't duplicate or repackage this information without running into copyright issues.

Not to mention that you really shouldn't develop software to score an instrument that you haven't been trained to interpret, but that's a secondary priority.
Well, I guess I won't be able to do this. Thanks for the warnings and the info.

I regret trying to help you.
I don't get why you said that, I'm just doing the required research to start to develop software that's how software development works, now I know that I need special training and special permissions to accomplish this, and since I don't have any of those I won't be able to even start this project.

With who's permission....is the point you didn't seem to be getting?
I didn't know I needed a special permission, now I know I can't do this. I would have been easier if since the beginning someone would've told me "you can't because of thise, this and this" as simple as that. Anyways thanks for the information.

I would have been easier if since the beginning someone would've told me "you can't because of thise, this and this" as simple as that.
WisNeuro's response covered it in a nutshell. The U of Minnesota/Pearson owns the copyright on the MMPI-2, and they also sell the software program that scores the test.

It's in the MMPI-2 manual. No one can give this information out here up front, it's an ethics violation. Also, any software that deals with the MMPI-2 has to be okayed by U of Minnesota/Pearson.

Are you a psychology student? I think that the strong reactions here are due to the fact that most psychology students (definitely grad, and probably undergrad) should be familiar with the ethical guidelines around assessment materials and measure development/scoring, and educational institutions (if this is a school project) should not be encouraging people to do something that violates those guidelines. If you're not a psych student, you probably weren't familiar with these issues until now and wouldn't have known that you can't do something like this.

WisNeuro's response covered it in a nutshell. The U of Minnesota/Pearson owns the copyright on the MMPI-2, and they also sell the software program that scores the test.

Are you a psychology student? I think that the strong reactions here are due to the fact that most psychology students (definitely grad, and probably undergrad) should be familiar with the ethical guidelines around assessment materials and measure development/scoring, and educational institutions (if this is a school project) should not be encouraging people to do something that violates those guidelines. If you're not a psych student, you probably weren't familiar with these issues until now and wouldn't have known that you can't do something like this.
Indeed, I'm not a psychology student, I'm a recently graduated IT Engineer who was asked to develop a software for MMIP-2 scoring, and I wasn't familiar with all this, and since I don't know any psychologist I thought that searching in forums was the best option.

Reactions: 1 users
Indeed, I'm not a psychology student, I'm a recently graduated IT Engineer who was asked to develop a software for MMIP-2 scoring, and I wasn't familiar with all this, and since I don't know any psychologist I thought that searching in forums was the best option.

Is your employer aware that computerized scoring program for the MMPI-2 has been available and used by practitioners for like.... 25 years now.

Might want to invest in a new thought leader at that company.

Last edited:
Agreed with the above posters that unfortunately, it sounds like your supervisors (or whoever asked you to develop the scoring program) have set you up for failure here. As erg mentioned, computerized scoring has been available for the MMPI-2 for a number of years. If the folks you're working with want to score an MMPI-2, as it's copyrighted material, their options are basically: 1) purchase and obtain a license to use the existing software, 2) mail their forms in to be scored, 3) score by hand using templates that are provided when you buy the test (which is only sold to those with verified and appropriate credentials).

What software? This is a copyrighted test.
Looks like they are violating Pearson's copyright and potentially endangering protected test information by selling Excel spreadsheets to do scoring for the MMPI and other tests.

Shop | Psychology Test

Based on the poor grammar and placement of the dollar sign after the numbers in their prices, it seems like they are from outside the US.

What software? This is a copyrighted test.
Lets sit back for a moment and laugh at how absurd any answer you might get could be.

I figured as much. Also, the majority of us that use the MMPI already have our own excel spreadsheets that we've made/inherited. Only a ***** would pay for one of these.
Just curious how you use that

Just curious how you use that

I don't use the MMPI all that often, it's just much quicker to enter it into my spreadsheet than the program. For legal purposes, let's assume that I have an assistant enter in an all 1 dummy case to the scoring program to "burn" a use.

Is it absurd that they deleted their account due to these responses?

More likely that the mods deleted him after a report.

Is it absurd that they deleted their account due to these responses?
Probably the only reasonable thing they could be, if it was their decision and not a mod (unlikely).

I don't use the MMPI all that often, it's just much quicker to enter it into my spreadsheet than the program. For legal purposes, let's assume that I have an assistant enter in an all 1 dummy case to the scoring program to "burn" a use.
Yeh, I guess I should have been clearer. I assumed thats how you used it. I'm curious if the spreadsheet goes through the whole unrounded/untruncated scale process to arrive at the final rounded scores.

Yeh, I guess I should have been clearer. I assumed thats how you used it. I'm curious if the spreadsheet goes through the whole unrounded/untruncated scale process to arrive at the final rounded scores.

Good question, the one I currently use was bequeathed to me from someone who is better with excel than myself. I've checked it against the scoring program for about 20+ cases and it's identical to what the scoring program in the case of the final T-scores.

Good question, the one I currently use was bequeathed to me from someone who is better with excel than myself. I've checked it against the scoring program for about 20+ cases and it's identical to what the scoring program in the case of the final T-scores.
Would you be willing to share or sell a copy of that software?

Why are you trying to develop a software program that does the exact same thing as a pre-existing software program? Are you trying to improve upon the current design in some way, or are you simply creating a redundant program?

I use the scoring program from the publisher, despite it being overpriced AND per administration. I regularly am involved in legal cases, so I want everything to be buttoned up and using publisher approved everything does that. I consider it the cost of doing business.

I have excel forms/formulas for other tests, so I can look at sub-test scores, convert to z or T scores, etc....the typical stuff only neuropsychologists really care about.