Money is literally holding me back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to get some experience in the medical field(obviously) and I was thinking about taking a CNA class, medical terminology class, radiology or lab assistant class and they are all something I cannot afford. I recently got offered a job that pays good...but you guessed...I messed that up because I went to my physical two days late thinking the manager said Thursday but instead she said Tuesday. This job required me to be in direct contact with patients. I have applied to over 100 job since my last job in the summer. I even received a call from a job that I put my application in 5 months ago. I would love to volunteer but again I won't be making any money to get me back and forth to the job. I'm having one of those give up moments because money is literally the only thing holding me back from getting medical experience to get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I messed that up because I went to my physical two days late thinking the manager said Thursday but instead she said Tuesday
money is literally the only thing holding me back from getting medical experience to get into medical school

You could get a job, but then volunteer on the side. Or have you looked at scribing opportunities?

I messed that up because I went to my physical two days late
Reason why you should never procrastinate. "you want me to have a physical by X?" - goes and runs to some clinic ran by NP or whatever, and get it done the day of or the next following day. But at least you know you messed it up.

Try scribing. They pay and train.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm trying to get some experience in the medical field(obviously) and I was thinking about taking a CNA class, medical terminology class, radiology or lab assistant class and they are all something I cannot afford. I recently got offered a job that pays good...but you guessed...I messed that up because I went to my physical two days late thinking the manager said Thursday but instead she said Tuesday. This job required me to be in direct contact with patients. I have applied to over 100 job since my last job in the summer. I even received a call from a job that I put my application in 5 months ago. I would love to volunteer but again I won't be making any money to get me back and forth to the job. I'm having one of those give up moments because money is literally the only thing holding me back from getting medical experience to get into medical school.

It's not money that's holding you back. It's your attitude.

Reactions: 8 users
I laughed at this thread title. Money is literally holding you back? Literally?

Reactions: 20 users
1. In my state, there are nursing homes that will pay for you to get your CNA license as long as you work for them afterward. I'm not sure if this is common across the country or not, but you should check.

2. Is it too late for you to beg for your well-paying job back? I know it sucks to have to do that, but if you are really hurting for money, a heart-felt apology and promise to never, ever screw up again might help you (or it might not, but it's worth a try).

3. If you are finding it difficult to get medical experience, your best bet is to secure a job first so you can pay your bills. Then get a medical volunteer gig that is only a few hours a week, so you have enough time for your job and for volunteering. You don't need 1,000 hours, you just need to show that you have enough exposure to the medical field to know what you are getting into (as much as any premed can, anyway).

Reactions: 2 users
if money really is holding you back, get a job at wal-mart. getting jobs in health-related specialties at the level of competence we're at is far and few between, relatively speaking, and from what I've seen people who usually don't need jobs are the ones who get the health-related jobs in college (why? idk...well I do, but too lazy). There are lots of us working at wal-mart. I recently heard that at the start of next year, pay is going to jump to 10 an our (though this may vary by state?). As of now, it's 9 per hous where I'm at, so not too bad.

Reactions: 1 user
[ ] Money is literally holding me back
[x] Money is figuratively holding me back

Reactions: 13 users
I laughed at this thread title. Money is literally holding you back? Literally?

Ted would be SO annoyed reading the title of this thread
anigif_original-grid-image-12061-1407513517-19.gif

OK, let's dissect this out.

You don't need paid medical experience to get into med schools. Volunteer.

So, I'm trying to get some experience in the medical field(obviously) and I was thinking about taking a CNA class, medical terminology class, radiology or lab assistant class and they are all something I cannot afford. I recently got offered a job that pays good.

Very sorry to hear this, but next time, be more careful and responsible. Write things down and verify.
..but you guessed...I messed that up because I went to my physical two days late thinking the manager said Thursday but instead she said Tuesday. This job required me to be in direct contact with patients.

As suggested, a A job, any job, and volunteer on the side. Your local houses of worship will have volunteering opportunities.
I have applied to over 100 job since my last job in the summer. I even received a call from a job that I put my application in 5 months ago. I would love to volunteer but again I won't be making any money to get me back and forth to the job.

This process is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere. But hold very still while I smack some sense into you (you might feel some pressure): neither will you unless you drop this attitude.
I'm having one of those give up moments because money is literally the only thing holding me back from getting medical experience to get into medical school.

I literally sat down and watched this...

disclaimer: I do not approve or disapprove of this message

I literally sat down and watched this...

disclaimer: I do not approve or disapprove of this message

Ah, the irony of having a word with two definitions that mean opposite things.

I am not in favor of using "literally" to mean "not literally," even if James Joyce did it.

Members don't see this ad :)

If that's your biggest set-back, finding a paid position in an already saturated volunteer-based world of people seeking premedical experience, consider yourself lucky. People have bounced back and gone through much worse. So just wanted to remind you, your post seems to allude to the fact that you have the grades and possibly the MCAT score in the bag. Great, now apply for 100 more and this time write down and re-read all information that comes your way. I feel ya on the money thing. Change your motto from "I knocked on 100 doors and.." to "I knocked on 1,000 doors and got 1"

Guys I went to that scribe website and it sent my application to every hospital in Maryland, the one that emailed me back for an interview was far away from where I lived...an hour drive...don't have a car.

if money really is holding you back, get a job at wal-mart. getting jobs in health-related specialties at the level of competence we're at is far and few between, relatively speaking, and from what I've seen people who usually don't need jobs are the ones who get the health-related jobs in college (why? idk...well I do, but too lazy). There are lots of us working at wal-mart. I recently heard that at the start of next year, pay is going to jump to 10 an our (though this may vary by state?). As of now, it's 9 per hous where I'm at, so not too bad.
this is funny cause I worked at walmart hahahahaha, they were horrible.

Guys thanks for pointing out me saying "literally" I was typing how I talk in person lol, sorry for my misuse of that word.

Looking at your other posts, you are a college student. Don't waste your money on courses in medical terminology, CNA, etc. Focus on your academic subjects and the best GPA possible.

If you have a job, work hard to keep it. If you lost your job after the summer ended, look for a retail job now through the holidays. Retail will give you good experience in dealing with people who are stressed, uncomfortable and not at their best. Once you start working, bank part of every paycheck so that you can afford a car at some point and have more flexibility around where you can work and volunteer.

Start looking ahead to where you will finish your education.

Reactions: 5 users
OP, I don't know why you think you have to have a job in the medical field to get into medical school. You can get a job in whatever you want to pay the bills, just get some (doesn't have to be up to SDN standards, I promise you) clinical exposure and experience along the way as a volunteer/shadower.

If you can't find a job that gives you direct patient contact, try to find something that is healthcare related

I was in a similar situation as you about 2 years ago and I applied to be a Pharmacy Technician at my local Walgreens and although I wouldn't define it as a "clinical experience" it proved valuable as I was able to become familiar with various medications, I spoke on the phone regularly with doctors and hospitals regarding medications they chose to put their patients on and worked with insurance companies getting prior authorizations and overall assisted the pharmacists with what they need. I learned a lot.

I believe all the retail pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid you don't need a certification to apply. They hire you and then pay you to get certified but I was at Walgreens a year and I never got certified due to schedule conflicts. I don't think its a necessity, at least not in my state.

I also worked for a laboratory called Bio-Reference. Doctors and hospitals send blood/urine/stool samples and the lab conducts whatever tests that are requested such as CBC, RPR, Urinalysis etc. I worked as a specimen processor in data entry and entered the tests and patient information into the computer for processing. There was no patient contact whatsoever but our lab conducted over 800 possible tests on samples so I became very familiar with these and if I were to be handed a standard requisition I could tell you almost every type of test on it. It was a really easy job to get and there are various labs just like it; a big one is Quest Diagnostics, but there are other small ones like IDEXX.

My point is, you may not be able to find a job that gives you direct clinical exposure, but you may be able to find something that gives you exposure to different areas of the medical field and would give you something interesting to talk about. You really need to explore your options.

Reactions: 1 users
I could care less.

:cool:

At first I wanted to say this^, but I clicked on it anyway and became literally excited when she mentioned some of my favorite authors using the word for hyperbole.

Hahaha, I bet that you literally still do not care. ;)

If you read it literally, she definitely does care, but she could care less than how she did care ;)
At first I wanted to say this^, but I clicked on it anyway and became literally excited when she mentioned some of my favorite authors using the word for hyperbole.

Hahaha, I bet that you literally still do not care. ;)

Grammar Nazi (noun) A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others (often while ignoring the point of discussion at hand).

We all like to partake in the occasional elitist circle jerk, but I really hope med school is not like this.

Oooookay. I thought it was a funny mental image. You know, literally being held back by money. But I guess I could just be partaking in an elitist circle jerk. I guess . . .

I almost went to bed angry tonight. Thank you pre-allo threads.

UPDATE: I have a a job interview this week and from now on I'll be cautious about how I use my words lol.

I hate kids these days...

Get off my lawn

OP, I've seen at least 3 posts of this exact same nature from you. If you're looking for permission to give up (or change your plans), you have it. I also grew up in poverty and am still in poverty, but you've got to work around that however you can. That one particular job might not be feasible (if you have to take cabs there and back - it's not), but there are other jobs out there. If you're 19, you have plenty of time to get a healthcare related job. It's fine to work in whatever job gets you by for now. Live off of loans if you have to. Go to school half time and work the other half if necessary. There's no race to the finish line. I go to school part time so that I can work enough to make rent and eat.
The worst thing about being poor is the stress that comes with it. Keep your eye on the prize and you do what you need to do.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm working at Amazon, good pay....nothing else to complain about