MOOCs as Pre-req Class Replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunItsTheCat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Non-trads!

While searching for more time-flexible and less expensive ways to fulfill pre-requisites for Med school as a working software engineer (with bachelors in Computer Science), I found out about Mass Open Online Courses. I have confirmed with a few Med schools that they do accept certifications by organizations endorsed by the AAMC, but they were definitely not too excited about its merits and emphasized the necessity for other merits such as high MCAT scores, volunteer hours, and recommendation letters, all of which I am already currently pursuing (and is actually something my schedule allows me to attempt).

I am aware that it's probably better to just taking things slower and take post-baccs whenever I have the opportunity to, but if MOOCs are viable, I definitely want to give it a try since taking post-baccs is a huge time and financial investment. I don't see an opportunity for such undertakings arising for a very long time, which means without MOOCs filling my pre-req classes, I can't even try to enroll for many, many years...

If anyone has experience using them as viable Med-school Pre-requisites or knows about the process, PLEASE help! Which courses did you take? Which would you recommend? Any and all advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Curious on this as well. Thanks for posting.

I’m a big fan and user of MOOCs but I can’t believe many schools would take multiple MOOCs as replacements for pre-reqs. Sure maybe for psychology, English or stats if applicant already has a BS and is working full time. But any pre-req with a lab (bio chem ochem physics) I would think it would be a non starter. You could ask your state school but as most people apply to 15-25 schools in order to secure an acceptance, just getting one school to approve it isn’t going to help much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt this would fly with the vast majority of schools. On the one hand, the status of MOOCs as accredited courses is dicey relative to traditional coursework. Also, consider this: other applicants to the schools you apply to will probably have traditional coursework for pre-reqs. Given the choice between you and an equivalent applicant, I can't imagine most adcoms would look favorably on MOOCs.

I also love MOOCs, but post bacc isn't the place for them.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your input! I'm currently unsure if I still want to give MOOCs a try just because I can't really take full-fledged post-bac programs yet (I'm not at all optimistic about being accepted into Med school with them, however), but I'll probably end up finding a post-bac program and taking some loans for it.

I'll get there one way or another.

I agree with the sentiments posted already - online courses in general are risky for formal pre-requisites. Some schools flat out don't accept them.

Your statement about options is confusing
I don't see an opportunity for such undertakings arising for a very long time, which means without MOOCs filling my pre-req classes, I can't even try to enroll for many, many years...
...of course I don't know your personal situation.

For the most part, I'm pretty sure there should be other options besides formal Post-Baccs or quitting your job and taking out loans. Depending on where you live, lots of folks have great success at community colleges. While I'm certainly not an adcom, I've seen consensus that universities look at career-changers working and taking classes at community college very differently (as in its fine) than an undergrad taking basic chemistry at a community college while enrolled at a four-year to avoid their university's class. Some folks even enroll as a degree-seeking undergrad at a four-year university...and then simply don't finish.

Many folks have proven its possible to carve out time to take classes at night, work during the day, be frugal and get the post-bacc work done without a formal program, without loans - if that's something you'd like.

Point being - there should be lots of options besides MOOC to get the coursework done without quitting your job and taking out loans.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the sentiments posted already - online courses in general are risky for formal pre-requisites. Some schools flat out don't accept them.

Your statement about options is confusing

...of course I don't know your personal situation.

For the most part, I'm pretty sure there should be other options besides formal Post-Baccs or quitting your job and taking out loans. Depending on where you live, lots of folks have great success at community colleges. While I'm certainly not an adcom, I've seen consensus that universities look at career-changers working and taking classes at community college very differently (as in its fine) than an undergrad taking basic chemistry at a community college while enrolled at a four-year to avoid their university's class. Some folks even enroll as a degree-seeking undergrad at a four-year university...and then simply don't finish.

Many folks have proven its possible to carve out time to take classes at night, work during the day, be frugal and get the post-bacc work done without a formal program, without loans - if that's something you'd like.

Point being - there should be lots of options besides MOOC to get the coursework done without quitting your job and taking out loans.

I was under the impression that community colleges fared only as well as MOOCs (pre-meds I consulted told me community college classes are not viable substitutes for post-baccs). MOOCs on the other hand are relatively new and since there's currently a movement for online education ongoing, I felt it was worth a try.

Knowing that community college courses can work in my situation is a huge boon. Thank you very much for your response!

Last edited:
Many (if not most) med schools accept community College courses. I have not heard of a single one accepting MOOCs. Some will allow online classes, but these are not considered MOOC, merely online classes at accredited Institutions that can be used to obtain degrees. At best, MOOCs can provide a certificate which doesn't mean much .

Many (if not most) med schools accept community College courses. I have not heard of a single one accepting MOOCs. Some will allow online classes, but these are not considered MOOC, merely online classes at accredited Institutions that can be used to obtain degrees. At best, MOOCs can provide a certificate which doesn't mean much .

I see.. This solidifies my direction then. Thank you!

Yes, 100% concur. At one time I looked at CC acceptances at a number of schools but don't have the info handy. It might be in MSAR but if you don't want to pay for it, you can just check individual school websites to see if they do or do not take CC or online classes.

Reactions: 1 users