Moonlighting?!?!

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Col_4:14, May 16, 2001.

1. Col_4:14

Col_4:14 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Can you moonlight during your residency ? At what point? Does it help you pay off your debt without having to defer??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Zero Cool

Zero Cool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I knew a few who moonlighted during their fellowship...

3. tussy

tussy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The rules around moonlighting change from program to program and are different depending on what state/province you are in. I know that I'll be able to moonlight after my third year of residency (i'm doing gen surg) in both the ICU and ER. However, you have to get a special licence and get insurance to cover you. Most of the residencts I've talked to say it's financially a good deal though

4. Col_4:14

Col_4:14 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I do realize that moonlighting options differ from location to location. I just wanted to get a snapshot of what some of those options are? :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I can moonlight after first year and after I have taken the USMLE step 3. As a pathology resident we can moonlight for the medical examiners office or work in the "gross" room at other hospitals. I have heard of residents doubling their incomes by moonlighting.

6. tussy

tussy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes GP, I've heard of many residents that more than doubled their salaries by moonlighting. I heard of one guy that took a year off to do research. His program didn't have enough residents to fill the call schedule, so he filled in doing call 1 in 4. He got paid well for it and made over 100,000 for the year.