Moonlighting?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Col_4:14

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you moonlight during your residency ? At what point? Does it help you pay off your debt without having to defer??

Members don't see this ad.

I knew a few who moonlighted during their fellowship...

The rules around moonlighting change from program to program and are different depending on what state/province you are in. I know that I'll be able to moonlight after my third year of residency (i'm doing gen surg) in both the ICU and ER. However, you have to get a special licence and get insurance to cover you. Most of the residencts I've talked to say it's financially a good deal though

Members don't see this ad :)
I do realize that moonlighting options differ from location to location. I just wanted to get a snapshot of what some of those options are? :D

I can moonlight after first year and after I have taken the USMLE step 3. As a pathology resident we can moonlight for the medical examiners office or work in the "gross" room at other hospitals. I have heard of residents doubling their incomes by moonlighting.

Yes GP, I've heard of many residents that more than doubled their salaries by moonlighting. I heard of one guy that took a year off to do research. His program didn't have enough residents to fill the call schedule, so he filled in doing call 1 in 4. He got paid well for it and made over 100,000 for the year.