moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peiyueng

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all:
Before I started my peds rotation, I thought I would never do Peds. I had always planned on doing an FP residency and start moonlighting in Urgent care after I get my california license as an R2.
I am now having so much fun in Peds, that I am considering a residency in Peds. What are the requirements for doing urgent care? Do you need to be a resident in FP or do you just need to have a license to practice medicine?

thanks in advance.
cheers.
Pei Tang

Members don't see this ad.

the latter, though the employer may have requirements/restrictions

In order to start moonlighting, all you need is your permanent liscense and DEA #. However, many locum companies have other requirements: i.e.: a certain number of hours of ER experience, ACLS, PALS, ATLS, etc... In the KC area, I haven't seen any of the peds residents out moonlighting. The locums companies want residents with more adult and OB/gyn experience. About 80% of what you'll see in the ER will be adult medicine with the rest divided as OB/gyn and Peds. So, you need to think about what you'll be comfortable with when you're out in the sticks as the only physician in a 30 mile radius. Also, even as a resident who is moonlighting, you'll be held to the same standard as a board certified ER physician if there is any liability.

You may find that you can work in a peds clinic, but it is unlikely you'll be able to moonlight in a peds ER.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the best of my knowledge, the only places that residents can moonlight is at big hospitals, to do night float, or in ER"S. The way things are going, ACEP and SAEM are looking to make it mandatory that every ED in this country has at least one ER certified doc in it. If this legislation passes, the only people who would be eligible to moonlight would be ER PGY-2,3,4. That's what I have been hearing. Any other info would be greatly appreciated!
DRC

Dear all:
I was the original author of this thread. When I posted this question about urgent care, I didn't mean ER. Here in California, as least, there is a difference. Urgent care is like an extended hours clinic and is separate from the ER. My question was about moonlighting in the urgent care (ie do you have to be an FP resident in order to moonlight there). I know that ER has much more stringent guidelines. Urgent care takes care of after hours colds and stuff like that and does not in anyway take care of high intensity emergencies like trauma. The most you may do is some suturing of lacerations in the urgent care but you are not going to see MVA or GSW's in the urgent care.
Lots of FP residents moonlight in urgent care here in CA, but I don't know if that is the domain of only FP residents or if a peds resident can do the same.

Please help. Tahnks in advance.
pei tang