Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
More horror, this time from China
Started by Hollycozza
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
😡 I understand that you can be raised in such a way that TEACHES you animals are only here for "our" purposes and that they "cannot feel," but I honestly cannot FATHOM how someone could participate in this and not see the fear and pain in the animals' eyes. And, if they do see that, then I certainly cannot understand how they can continue doing this. (And if you read some of the comments underneath the article, they suggest we only react so strongly to this article because it discusses animals we think of as our pets; on that note: this is likely true. And it is also true that animals such as cows, chickens and pigs are often not treated better. But those realizations should only make us more sensitive to how treat ALL animals, not used as a justification to discredit our emotional response to these actions. NO animal should be bludgeoned over the head with a metal pole until they're half dead.)
(And if you read some of the comments underneath the article, they suggest we only react so strongly to this article because it discusses animals we think of as our pets; on that note: this is likely true.
I agree with you Serendip - it can be dangerous to start moralizing about which animals are ok to eat and which should be pets, and the distinction is highly culture-dependent. Personally I am a vegetarian, but not because I think it's *wrong* to eat meat, nor do I try to "convert" others to my way of thinking (and eating). I mean hey, we as human beings are animals too, and thus we're part of the food chain! But at the very least, when you're ending the life of an animal in order to further your own, doesn't that animal deserve the respect and decency of a humane death in return for its sacrifice?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. I'm already an emotional wreck after losing my grandma last week, this about put me over the edge. I can't help but cry.
😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡
😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡
Its so sad seeing all the cats piled up 🙁
and it is somewhat reminiscent of the way chickens are kept in the West...
and it is somewhat reminiscent of the way chickens are kept in the West...
oh. my. god. even if culturally the chinese eat cats and dogs, they should still have to conform to international standards of animal welfare- like space per animal, humane death, etc. i don't know what kinds of welfare standards exist there, and god knows law enforcement of illegal meat trading hardly exists (tigers, pandas, sun bears), but there needs to be action taken here.😡
The eating doesn't bother me as much as the blatent inhumane housing conditions of the animals before being killed and the way they are killed. GRRRRRRRRR 🙁
oh. my. god. even if culturally the chinese eat cats and dogs, they should still have to conform to international standards of animal welfare- like space per animal, humane death, etc. i don't know what kinds of welfare standards exist there, and god knows law enforcement of illegal meat trading hardly exists (tigers, pandas, sun bears), but there needs to be action taken here.😡
Agreed. We absolutely need some sort of international laws regulating animal welfare!!!
This is absolutely horrifying. This inhumane treatment of animals should not be tolerated. Between this and the special that I just watched last night about the killing of sharks by cutting their fins off while alive and the mass killings of dolphins that are coralled into pens just makes me want to scream. I'm too frustrated to coherently express my ideas at this point.😡
This is absolutely disgusting but, other than the method of killing, this cruelty is happening is the western world as well. I am not a vegetarian or vegan but I am a conscious eater. I eat less meat than I used to and I always try to make sure I buy free-range or organic. I know these processes aren't perfect but they are much better than those used in "industrialized" farms. If you're interested, check out this organization: http://www.veganoutreach.org/advocacy/resources.html They aren't one of those groups that forces people to go vegetarian/vegan to be a part of it. The things going on in China are obviously terrible are should be dealt with, but there are plenty of animal welfare issues that need to be dealt with here as well. Oh and PdxYOSHI I saw that documentary and it made me sick that people can actually do these things and sleep at night.
That is so upsetting to look at. Something does need to be done.
Though, this is why I went vegetarian. I finally realized that I wouldn't want to think about my cats or dogs being killed and eaten, so why is it okay for us to do it to another species because they may not be as cuddly?
Disclaimer: People can eat whatever they want, that's just the conclusion that I came to for myself.
Though, this is why I went vegetarian. I finally realized that I wouldn't want to think about my cats or dogs being killed and eaten, so why is it okay for us to do it to another species because they may not be as cuddly?
Disclaimer: People can eat whatever they want, that's just the conclusion that I came to for myself.
This is absolutely disgusting but, other than the method of killing, this cruelty is happening is the western world as well. I am not a vegetarian or vegan but I am a conscious eater. I eat less meat than I used to and I always try to make sure I buy free-range or organic. I know these processes aren't perfect but they are much better than those used in "industrialized" farms. If you're interested, check out this organization: http://www.veganoutreach.org/advocacy/resources.html They aren't one of those groups that forces people to go vegetarian/vegan to be a part of it. The things going on in China are obviously terrible are should be dealt with, but there are plenty of animal welfare issues that need to be dealt with here as well. Oh and PdxYOSHI I saw that documentary and it made me sick that people can actually do these things and sleep at night.
👍 QT - we are in the same boat in terms of eating as organically as possible. in addition, we like to buy directly from the grower/rancher at farmers' markets. you and i will have to explore fort collins for these options...
the only thing about free-range, is that there not regulated by the usda, so its up to the farmers discretion so it doesnt always necessarily mean that the chicken just gets to run around wherever.
I've heard this too, and I don't doubt it.
In the back of my mind, when I buy organic or free-range dairy and meat, and other organic products, I think ultimately (especially if enough people do it) it will send a message to suppliers (hopefully) that this is what is important to consumers.
So fast forward X number of years, and the marketing and business guru's are crunching their reports, and they realize that free-range egg sales, organic beef, dairy, etc., have increased by X percent, if that's a big percent, it may motivate suppliers, and hopefully bring awareness and attention to the issues.
I'm sure it's a long way in coming, but every bit helps I hope.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2K
- Views
- 29K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 349
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 388