More Questions! It's Stress Time for 2010-2011 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are some questions: Sorry if some are repeated, but I have been reading all over SDN and asked for more clarification. Thank you!

1- Do schools notice/give preference to students who actually visit the school, meaning a slighter chance of getting an interview? I've already sent an email to the ones I'm interested about getting more information, would calling them or speaking to an advisor be advantageous?

2- Is there also a preference for students who applied to DO schools only and not allopathic? I was still debating on majors but when my advisor told me about DO, i was all set :)

3- How relevant is research to your application? I would be up to 18 credits if I decide to do it for the spring, but my stats aren't as good and need to rely on the rest of my application to look good (no mcat until may(expecting a 24), possibly overall 3.5sGPA,3.6 overall, 100+hours hospital, 100+nursing home, clubs, cpr certification,etc)

4-Currently shadowing a DO, he doesn't mind how long I would stay, so would shadowing them for a long time be as important as what you learn from doing it?

5- Personal statements: how personal is too personal? for example, I was born in the philippines, parents are only high school grads, give a small story of my background(nothing significant with medicine only that i'm the first in my family to attend college) or stick to all important clinical experiences?

6- Recommendation letters: Is DO, Physics Teacher, Sociology Teacher, Volunteering, Work (I work at a pharmacy, is that ok?), Prehealth Committee letters alright?

7- I will probably be finished with my application in May. Anyone who's good in english look it over for me? English isn't my strongest, so my personal statement is going to need a lot of work. Also, can I send in my primary even if my mcat scores don't get back till June? I think someone here said that you can.

-My other biggest worry is that I'm a transfer student from a community college (only went there because i won a full tuition scholarship) and got a 2.8 at the public university i transferred to (fall, junior year).. i know i can get my grades up this spring(biochemistry brought me wayy down), but should i even apply at all after doing this badly?

Really nervous... I don't even have cousins that went to college, most joined the military or started working so I don't have anyone to relate to! I really want to be something, hopefully this is it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

4-Currently shadowing a DO, he doesn't mind how long I would stay, so would shadowing them for a long time be as important as what you learn from doing it?

5- Personal statements: how personal is too personal? for example, I was born in the philippines, parents are only high school grads, give a small story of my background(nothing significant with medicine only that i'm the first in my family to attend college) or stick to all important clinical experiences?

6- Recommendation letters: Is DO, Physics Teacher, Sociology Teacher, Volunteering, Work (I work at a pharmacy, is that ok?), Prehealth Committee letters alright?

4.) I would measure how long your shadowing experience lasts by how comfortable you two are with each other. I shadowed one D.O and we really were really comfortable with each other and she expressed how much she enjoyed being able to show and teach people the profession... So I shadowed her twice a week for a month. However, another physician I shadowed didn't give off the same kind of vibe and I felt like I was somehow bothering him, so I was there for two days a week for two weeks.

For one thing, set a time-limit with the physician so they know how long they can expect you'll be following them. Ask them if X days for X amount of time will be good, etc.

The more you shadow, the more you learn- but not all shadowing is created equal. So I would say quality over quantity.

5.) Personal backstory is important, it is one of the ways to set yourself apart from other applicants that may have similar clinical experiences. You can defiantly somehow manage to add that into your PS without making it your main focus.

6.) Check to see if the schools you are interested in require letters from DOs. It's always good to have at least one from a DO, and some from professors who know you.

Here are some questions: Sorry if some are repeated, but I have been reading all over SDN and asked for more clarification. Thank you!

1- Do schools notice/give preference to students who actually visit the school, meaning a slighter chance of getting an interview? I've already sent an email to the ones I'm interested about getting more information, would calling them or speaking to an advisor be advantageous?

2- Is there also a preference for students who applied to DO schools only and not allopathic? I was still debating on majors but when my advisor told me about DO, i was all set :)

3- How relevant is research to your application? I would be up to 18 credits if I decide to do it for the spring, but my stats aren't as good and need to rely on the rest of my application to look good (no mcat until may(expecting a 24), possibly overall 3.5sGPA,3.6 overall, 100+hours hospital, 100+nursing home, clubs, cpr certification,etc)

7- I will probably be finished with my application in May. Anyone who's good in english look it over for me? English isn't my strongest, so my personal statement is going to need a lot of work. Also, can I send in my primary even if my mcat scores don't get back till June? I think someone here said that you can.

-My other biggest worry is that I'm a transfer student from a community college (only went there because i won a full tuition scholarship) and got a 2.8 at the public university i transferred to (fall, junior year).. i know i can get my grades up this spring(biochemistry brought me wayy down), but should i even apply at all after doing this badly?

Really nervous... I don't even have cousins that went to college, most joined the military or started working so I don't have anyone to relate to! I really want to be something, hopefully this is it. Thanks.

1. admissions personel do take note if you're interested...but also take note if you're annoying. you probably dont need to visit more than once or maybe twice...try to do so at an open house event.

2. no

3. research is not mandatory. most premeds make it in without any research experience at all....however it does look nice and can set you apart from the herd.

4. learning outweighs lengthy endeavors. most adcoms dont even ask or care how long you shadowed...so long as you did and know what you're getting yourself into. keep in mind that you probably need a letter of rec from a DO so you might want to keep this contact close by.

5. personal statement is personal. this should describe what were the influencing factors in your life that made you pursue medicine. should not be just about clinical experience... should be about your life and the things you've been through and how that motivates you.

6. letters of rec vary school to school but mostly you need a DO and the premed committee.

7. there are lots of people on here who would be happy to help... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=606611

dont forget to have your premed advisor look at it too

8. full scholarship = good. 2.8 = not good. bring up your grades. keep your gpa > 3.49

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe. I've heard a few stories on SDN where some seemed to think going on visits may have helped them, but if it isn't expressly stated then I wouldn't count on it.

No. Some schools will ask if you have applied to both allo and osteopathic schools but if you are upfront and honest with the AdComs, it's doubtful it will matter either way.

This is very school specific. Some find it an essential portion of the application, others couldn't care less. Do it if you enjoy it and/or think you will get something out of it. Don't do it to check a box on your application.

If you get a good vibe from this doc, then stick around. As you allude to later, some schools require a letter of rec from a D.O. and having a good relationship with one doc will help with this. As Cybii said, quality over quantity though.

I mentioned that I'm a first-gen. college student but I didn't fixate on it. You should be as personal as necessary to communicate why you want to become a physician. The point of the personal statement is your chance to explain to other doctors why you want to join their profession. Keep that in mind and the rest will take care of itself.
You'll need to check with each school. Usually the prehealth committee letter and a letter from a physician (sometimes a DO is required here) covers it, however some schools have very specific requirements about what should be in the letter (DMU comes to mind here) so double check that.

Yes, you can send your primary in without an MCAT score, but I don't think it will be released without an MCAT score. *I'm not sure on this as my MCAT score was two years old, so it wasn't an issue for me.* As for your PS, there are usually several people who volunteer their time both in this forum and in the pre-allo forum reading and revising PS's for applicants. Check in a little closer to time and I'm sure you'll find 5-10 people who will be more than happy to help you out.
I'm a little lost here. Did you get a 2.8 for one semester or is that where your cumulative GPA is? What about your science GPA? Focus on getting your grades up. Retake courses you did poorly in as AACOMAS will take the most recent grade and only count the course once (ahh yes, the magical grade replacement! :thumbup:) and raise your GPA a bit. You may need to consider delaying your app by a year to raise your GPA in order to be competitive. I hope I've helped and good luck to you!

I can relate to this. I had one much older cousin who went to college but I was the first in my immediate family. As such, I had very little in terms of academic support from home and I paid for it. I learned the hard way but if you are upfront about your situation, mature (*own those bad grades*) and perseverant, you should be fine.

Thank you, that really clarified a lot of things. I got a 4.0gpa at the community college, took all my prereqs there. So I was thinking that would be my average if I get at least a >3.5 for the spring. Thanks for your time and attention everyone, good luck for those who are applying!!

What makes you expect a 24? You need to get comfortable enough with the material and the test so that you are expecting at least a 30. Take lots of practice tests. I know they are a pain in the ass but no matter what Allen Iverson says you've got to practice the MCAT. Practice, practice, practice.

What makes you expect a 24? You need to get comfortable enough with the material and the test so that you are expecting at least a 30. Take lots of practice tests. I know they are a pain in the ass but no matter what Allen Iverson says you've got to practice the MCAT. Practice, practice, practice.

+3 intrawebz for an AI "Practice?" reference with regard to the MCAT.

For MCAT prep, I only bought the book from the AAMC website with a practice test. Would doing all the practice tests be enough or buying more books? I keep hearing over and over again about those EK books, Princeton etc, but I think the book from the people who are writing the exam should be ok (I hope!!). I'll try to aim higher, I've started my review since winter break.

For MCAT prep, I only bought the book from the AAMC website with a practice test. Would doing all the practice tests be enough or buying more books? I keep hearing over and over again about those EK books, Princeton etc, but I think the book from the people who are writing the exam should be ok (I hope!!). I'll try to aim higher, I've started my review since winter break.

I suggest Exam Krackers as well as ALL of the AAMC practice tests. Take the practice tests under timed conditions just like the MCAT, this way there are no surprises on test day.

Again, I can't stress this enough, you must take a lot of practice tests. And yes, it sucks....just do it.

There is great MCAT advice in the MCAT forum under the 30+ study habits thread.

Ok thanks! I'll probably go buy those EK books asap and work on the practice tests. Once I opened up the book I was like, crap, I have to remember all these again haha.

Ok thanks! I'll probably go buy those EK books asap and work on the practice tests. Once I opened up the book I was like, crap, I have to remember all these again haha.

My best friend used EK and did very well on the MCAT. I took a Kaplan course *Warning: I now work for Kaplan and I am biased, but I promise, I'm not trying to drum up business, just relating my story* and had a great deal of success. I would venture to say my success came more from doing practice test and literally every question in the Kaplan Qbank. I can't recommend a $1600 review course if you don't think you'll get much out of it but buying an MCAT QBank subscription is definately wroth the money in my opinion.

Do every single practice problem you can get your hands on. That's the best advice I think anyone can offer.

can't recommend a $1600 review course if you don't think you'll get much out of it but buying an MCAT QBank subscription is definately wroth the money in my opinion.

Do every single practice problem you can get your hands on. That's the best advice I think anyone can offer.

Where can you buy just a QBank?

Are you taking up to 18 credits AND studying for the MCAT? Shoot for at least a 30. I would recommend lightening up your couseload as you have your pre-reqs done (maybe just study for the mcat and shadow?). Be easy on yourself. It's easy to get really worked up over this stuff, but just think about what your priorities are and what you can really manage as far as your time. I am thinking the MCAT is your priority and to lighten up on other activities until you have finished that. I think the amount of time to really do well is vastly underestimated by many students.

Then worry about your PS. There are many of us on here who would be happy to assist you. If anything, jot down ideas etc on your days off from mcat study but not necessarily with the intention of creating the perfect document until June.
Good luck!

my best friend used ek and did very well on the mcat. I took a kaplan course *warning: I now work for kaplan and i am biased, but i promise, i'm not trying to drum up business, just relating my story* and had a great deal of success. I would venture to say my success came more from doing practice test and literally every question in the kaplan qbank. I can't recommend a $1600 review course if you don't think you'll get much out of it but buying an mcat qbank subscription is definately wroth the money in my opinion.

Do every single practice problem you can get your hands on. That's the best advice i think anyone can offer.

amen to that!!

Are you taking up to 18 credits AND studying for the MCAT? Shoot for at least a 30. I would recommend lightening up your couseload as you have your pre-reqs done (maybe just study for the mcat and shadow?). Be easy on yourself. It's easy to get really worked up over this stuff, but just think about what your priorities are and what you can really manage as far as your time. I am thinking the MCAT is your priority and to lighten up on other activities until you have finished that. I think the amount of time to really do well is vastly underestimated by many students.

Then worry about your PS. There are many of us on here who would be happy to assist you. If anything, jot down ideas etc on your days off from mcat study but not necessarily with the intention of creating the perfect document until June.
Good luck!

Seconded.

Odds are however many hours you plan to study for the MCAT, you're going to want more hours at some point during your study plan. A lot of classes isn't going to help your MCAT study plan.

The semester before I applied I took 20 hours. It was freaking crazy and in my spare time I would try and read MCAT books. Originally, I planned to take the test in June, but moved it to August and I'm really glad I did. SDN has some great advice, but don't get too neurotic if you don't achieve perfection.

Since I knew most schools weren't going to give me a second glance without my MCAT, I had the whole summer to start the application. Seriously, start working on your AACOMAS the day it starts out. Send out your transcripts early too. You don't need your MCAT to submit your AACOMAS. Something that helped keep me sane was working on my personal statement when MCAT studying made me want to stab myself with a rusty spoon. You'll want to get several drafts of your PS. Anyways, submit your AACOMAS as early as you can.

Anyways, I used EK and had great results since I couldn't afford a review class and I was working full-time. You can always work on research and shadowing and blah blah, but you can't easily change your MCAT. Blow that sucker out the water and it'll make the rest of your life less stressful. It would be better for you to dedicate next summer M-Sa studying for MCAT and one afternoon shadowing than the other way around.

Yeah. I got rid of one class, right now taking Applied Physiology, Microbiology, and two electives (heard one was easy, all presentations and no exams :p).

I did have another question! Because the mcat is essential, I just took an independent study for research which got me to 15 credits. Should I drop one of my electives to be at 12 credits and make it up next semester? Because I would have already fulfilled all my requirements for my bachelors in Biomedical Science next fall, and have nothing to do in the spring next year.

What killed me last semester was my Biochemistry (C+) and since I want to apply now I can't retake it, or should I wait and get that grade up? I received an A for my first Physiology class, but took forensic science and this philosophy class that my advisor told me would look good on my application (both B-).

And now my head hurts, haha.