General Admissions & OTCAS MOT OTD Texas Applicants 2019-2020 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTKait21

Reaction score
Because the deadline will pass soon for some schools and has passed recently for a few, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about Texas OTD and MOT programs for the 2019-2020 cycle. Here are my stats:

Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Psychology
Pre-req GPA: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.82
Observation Hours: 250 total; settings: home based primary care, inpatient and outpatient polytrauma (rehab setting) and inpatient ICU
Volunteer Hours: about 300 completed in multiple settings but primarily with kids with special needs and at a food bank
GRE: 151 verbal, 149 quantitative and 4 writing
LOR's: 3 OTR's a volunteer supervisor and a professor

Schools applied to: TWU, Tech, Uthscsa and UTMB

Please share your information, or just ask questions if you have any! This is my first year applying, and I'd love to know when other students are receiving interview invites and acceptances, especially from those who have already applied before and know more about the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my stats:
Undergraduate: Texas State University
Major: Exercise Sports Science
Overall GPA: 3.35
Graduating School GPA: 3.38
GRE Scores: 185 Overall (138 Verbal 144 Quantitative 3 Analytical)
196 Overall (151 Verbal 142 Quantitative 3 Analytical)

Activities
Leadership: Served as Secretary, Vice President and Health Chair in 2 organizations, Served on 3 planning committees,
Academic Awards: Dean's List 2x, Tau Sigma National Honor Society, Student Government Scholarship,
Volunteered at church and assisted living community undergrad and resale shop partnering with a woman's shelter postgrad
Also employed as a PT/OT Technician and BLS Certified

Observation
42 Inpatient Adult
12 hrs TBI Inpatient
1200+ Developmental Pediatric Outpatient (Employment)

Texas Schools Applied to:
St. Augustine in Austin
TWU - Houston
UT Health San Antonio
UTMB

Out of State Schools:
Georgia State
Jacksonville
Alabama State
Tennessee State

I have an interview on October 25th at St. Augustine Austin for the 5/11/2020 start. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Here are my stats:

Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Major: Health Science
Prerequisite GPA: for most schools it’s a 3.3-3.4
GRE: 149 v 152 q 4 aw

Academic Awards: Dean’s List 6x, graduated Magna Cum Laude

Observation Hours: 80 total (40 special education, 20 just hand therapy, 20 adult orthopedics)

Activities: teacher’s aide in a mixed SPED class, teaching assistant for a public elementary school, manager of an after school program for lower income kids, executive board member for my school’s chapter of NAACP, mentor and teaching assistant for an orientation class at my school

I have already submitted apps to TWU-Houston, U of St. Augustine-Dallas, Tennessee State, Georgia State, Towson University, Alabama State, University of Central Arkansas, and Winston-Salem State University.

I will (once I find some more money growing on a tree) apply for the University of Missouri and Brenau University... bringing my total to 10.

Would anyone have any insight on my chances of getting in to any of these programs? I’ve yet to hear anything back yet. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that applied to TWU they are reviewing applications now, interviews will be held in November. OTD Program starts Summer 2020.

I am in the MOT program at Houston campus currently, that’s what our director updated us with last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw on their website that they are going to release interview invitations by the last week of October, so in about two weeks! I'm so nervous! I put Dallas as my first choice but I would love to attend any of the 3 campuses.

For those of you that applied to TWU they are reviewing applications now, interviews will be held in November. OTD Program starts Summer 2020.

I am in the MOT program at Houston campus currently, that’s what our director updated us with last week.

Thanks for the update! I see interviews are supposed to be held on November 22 & 23. Can you remember anything from your interview maybe questions or if it was a group interview?

There’s a whole thread I’ve posted with interview questions already. Click my name and you should be able to find it. Individual speed dating type interview questions in a small group you have a minute to answer then rotate to next faculty member, group activity, and an essay question which you will have to give a title to.

Thanks for your help!

Update: UTMB sent an email saying decisions will be sent out by November 27th for decline or an invitation for interviews on Jan. 17th and 24th!

I saw on their website that they are going to release interview invitations by the last week of October, so in about two weeks! I'm so nervous! I put Dallas as my first choice but I would love to attend any of the 3 campuses.

Yes!! The closer we get to the end of October the more I feel my nerves getting worse! I just want to know! Dallas is my first choice as well!

Here are my stats:
Undergraduate: Lamar University
Major: Exercise Science and Fitness Management
Overall GPA: 3.54
Last 60 Hours: 3.77
Pre-Requisite GPA: 4.0
GRE: 152-V, 149-Q, 4-AW

Leadership:
Served as Recording Secretary for ZTA
Volunteer Chair in Physical/Occupational Therapy Club (POTC)
Founding member of POTC
Greek Council Rep. for ZTA
Youth Director at a local church

Academic Awards:
Dean's List 2 times
President’s List 2 times
Full ride scholarship recipient

Observation:
40 Inpatient Acute Care
50 Orthopedic Outpatient
8 Hand Therapy

Texas Schools Applied to:
TWU - Houston
UTMB
*will apply to St. Augustine - Austin if I don’t get invited for an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard back either but the email said they would let you know the last week of October if you got an interview.

Yes. The closer we get to the end of October the more anxious I get about it. Here's hoping they come through today or tomorrow! It is reassuring that it seems like no one has really heard yet. Here's hoping! Can't wait to hear!!

Yes. The closer we get to the end of October the more anxious I get about it. Here's hoping they come through today or tomorrow! It is reassuring that it seems like no one has really heard yet. Here's hoping! Can't wait to hear!!
Yeah they are probably just running behind. I'll let you know if I hear anything!

Yeah they are probably just running behind. I'll let you know if I hear anything!
I have been anxiously checking too! I’ll let y’all know if I hear anything as well.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you get into your web advisor? Were you emailed your ID, or are you already a student?
They should have sent you an email to get your account set up at TWU. In the drop down menu on the left once you login, there’s a tab labeled Web Advisor. Then you have to login again with your username and password. Even if you aren’t a student they should have sent you an email to set up an “account”. At least they did for me.

They should have sent you an email to get your account set up at TWU. In the drop down menu on the left once you login, there’s a tab labeled Web Advisor. Then you have to login again with your username and password. Even if you aren’t a student they should have sent you an email to set up an “account”. At least they did for me.
Mine has said awaiting department review since I got a confirmation email almost a month ago when TWU received my application.

Your application is going to say “awaiting department review” until you are accepted or rejected.

Just an FYI the TOTA conference is in Austin this weekend so I don’t know if that will have an impact on interview invitations being sent out. I’m not sure if the person that sends the invitations out goes to the conferences, I’m assuming it’s probably just someone that handles administrative stuff that takes care of all of that. I hope you all do hear something this week, but don’t freak out if you don’t. I know for sure the department chair at Houston campus is attending the TOTA conference. Good luck!

Thanks for the update!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else going crazy and constantly refreshing their emails and SDN? Ahhhh I hope we hear something back before the weekend :(

Is anyone else going crazy and constantly refreshing their emails and SDN? Ahhhh I hope we hear something back before the weekend :(
Literally me I think I may call TWU tomorrow to confirm that the emails will be sent this week so I won’t be a nervous wreck all weekend thinking I didn’t get an interview if I actually did...

Literally me I think I may call TWU tomorrow to confirm that the emails will be sent this week so I won’t be a nervous wreck all weekend thinking I didn’t get an interview if I actually did...
Please let us know if you do, so we can all chill lol

Like everyone else...I was a little impatient :) I just called and Amber said the emails will be going out today - BEST OF LUCK!

Were you able to activate your TWU gmail account? I wasn't sure if we get that email or not unless we get accepted.
Ah, I didn’t really think about that. It just came in an email after I finished sending in my application way back. Setting up your account to view web advisor and the like. I assumed everyone got a TWU account and password when making an application. The only few messages I got were to say my documents are received by the school.

Like everyone else...I was a little impatient :) I just called and Amber said the emails will be going out today - BEST OF LUCK!
Thank you so much for checking! I was about to call after I got out of class at 10:30.

Hey y'all, I heard back already! I didn't get an interview :( but just wanted to tell y'all the email was sent to my regular email!

I go Saturday November 23rd! Let me know if anyone is going the same day! Goodluck to y’all!

Got an interview at Houston Campus! Those of you who also landed one, don't forget to accept your invitation on time!!! (I almost missed that part in my excitement lol)

Did anyone get an interview invitation for the Denton campus?

I got an interview for Denton on 11/22 @2:30. Anyone else?

I got an interview for TWU Dallas for Saturday 11/23!