Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey all, first time posting. Here goes nothing.

So I'm one of the hopeful applicants with a lower GPA. Right now I'm at about a 3.2 overall, with my science being even lower than that. I started off my first couple years dealing with some difficult life-changing events. I have been told not to disclose what I went through, as it reflects negatively on me.

Although I have a much lower GPA than most successful applicants, I have nearly 6 years of experience working at a very successful small-animal vet hospital (now working as emergency tech/assistant), spent 6 months as a volunteer keeper at one of the nearby wildlife sanctuaries, spent 9 months volunteering in the Enrichment Program at our local zoo, am the founding president of the Pre-Vet club at my University, volunteered for a summer in an avian lab on campus inputting and editing data, and I volunteer at a crisis call center.

I am worried that they will take one look at my grades and say no.

I haven't taken the GRE yet and am hoping to redeem myself with a kick ass grade. I also have at least 3 more semesters left, so I'm gonna work on getting an upward trend for the tail end of my BS in Bio.

I guess I'm just feeling a little discouraged lately. I am certainly not ready to give up, but I'm scared that I won't make it.

Anyone got any hope?

oxyjen

UPenn c/o 2016
Nov 21, 2011
New Jersey
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi lionking101! I take it you are applying for cycle c/o 2017 since you haven't taken your GRE's yet?? What classes do you have left to take? My suggestion is to do exceptionally well in the next two semesters if you can...

A school like NCSU is definitely out of the question because they will not consider you with a GPA lower than 3.4 - but there are other schools who look at quality and not quantity. Although, I must say, quantity is usually a first impression. I am a non-traditional whose cum GPA was dragged to a 3.3 because of my first time around in school (graduated with my BS with a GPA 2.8 - my post-bacc work is what brought me up)...

But I would definitely consider schools outside of the U.S. - your volunteer work sounds fantastic and diverse! Especially all of those hours! And another positive is the recommendation letters you can get from those experiences. Write a beyond amazing essay - and have numerous people read it, from vets to students to professors... the insight really helped me when I went through the process. Also, is there a possibility for an in state school?

Kmeid

VMRCVM c/o 2016!
Jul 4, 2011
Status
Pre-Veterinary
You totally still have a chance! Especially if you still have 3 semesters left. A lot of schools focus heavily on the last 45 credit hours so you are SET if you kick butt in these 3 semesters. Plus, most schools weight GREs and GPA the same amount. So if your GPA is weak you can help balance it out with stellar GRE scores. I highly recommend snagging one of those GRE prep books and starting to work on it. I found that doing practice exams and studying significantly improved my score. Most importantly, if this is truly someone you want, don't give you. A 3.2 is NOT a bad GPA. And if you can get it above a 3.3 closer to the 3.4 range with great recommendations, a great essay, and good GRE scores I'd definitely say you have a solid shot. Especially with your killer experience. Keep chugging, you got this. Goodluck! :luck:

Bismarck

Cornell c/o 2016
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2011
Status
Veterinarian
You can still find ways to distinguish yourself in the applicant pool, especially with three (3!) semesters left. Ultimately, you will have to address the factors that challenged you initially either in an essay or an interview (making sure to disclose why the issue is behind you; you need not elaborate on all the fine points but enough to satisfy a question about it). I would continue to accumulate experience, though not at the expense of rocking the GRE or studying for your classes. You may also benefit from calling some of the vet schools you think you will be applying to and asking them for info. The worst they can do is give you generic advice; some of them may be receptive to helping you shape your application.

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For what it's worth, OP, I had a very similar GPA tied to my application with an explanation that I debated on relaying, and ultimately ended up doing so. I do think it helped.

fromthebox

In the Box
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2010
Anxiety Central
Status
Veterinarian
OP - check out the successful applicants threads from previous years, the stats posted there will give you an idea of what you need to overcome a low-ish GPA. We have had acceptances in the 3.0 range before! Don't give up!

Bearby

UF CVM c/o 2015
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Status
Veterinary Student
I never did a stats page, because I didn't want my future classmates judging me, but I got into two schools with a 2.9 GPA. I declined my interview at a 3rd school. I did have some extenuating circumstances, but overall, I just sucked in undergrad. Don't give up.

Reactions: psuforever390

spoondiggity

WesternU C/O 2016!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2011
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I never did a stats page, because I didn't want my future classmates judging me, but I got into two schools with a 2.9 GPA. I declined my interview at a 3rd school. I did have some extenuating circumstances, but overall, I just sucked in undergrad. Don't give up.
You are a shining ray of hope to us all low-gpa-ers. :p

Was FL your IS?

Bearby

UF CVM c/o 2015
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Status
Veterinary Student
You are a shining ray of hope to us all low-gpa-ers. :p

Was FL your IS?
Yes, Florida is my IS. I know that I had a lot of doubts as to whether my dreams would ever be realized, going back as far as my first year of undergrad.

Some of my sucking was just being completely ******ed when it comes to Chemistry, some of it resulted from getting caught up in the fun of college.

Now, this is not to say that everyone who has a low GPA, like me, is going to be fortunate enough to get into vet school. I'm fairly certain that I have the worst GPA of my class, and the average for my class is something ridiculous like 3.7. Basically, all my classmates are too smart for there own good...or they've never had any fun in their lives. It's probably a pretty decent mixture of both of those.

I have been kicking my own butt since I started to make sure that I do well. I study more than most, don't do a lot of outside activities, and have basically just resigned myself to being a crazy cat lady for the next year. So far it's working because I'm doing pretty well in my classes.

Like I said, I didn't post on the stats page last cycle because I was worried about how my classmates would view me if they figured out who I was, but I'm glad that I can give you guys some hope that it's not a death sentence to not have a perfect resume.

Oct 16, 2011
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Like I said, I didn't post on the stats page last cycle because I was worried about how my classmates would view me if they figured out who I was, but I'm glad that I can give you guys some hope that it's not a death sentence to not have a perfect resume.
YOUUU rock :thumbup:

OP
L
Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hi lionking101! I take it you are applying for cycle c/o 2017 since you haven't taken your GRE's yet?? What classes do you have left to take? My suggestion is to do exceptionally well in the next two semesters if you can...

Also, is there a possibility for an in state school?
I've got o-chem 2, physics 1&2, biochem, microbiology, and some upper level biology courses. Pretty much the next few semesters are gonna be heavy on the science, which is good. If i can't handle a heavy science load in undergrad, vet school will be tough. I'm taking o-chem 1 this semester and think i might end up with an A!

And i'm out in New Mexico, so we actually do not have a vet school. we have the WICHE, so i will be applying to schools like WSU and OSU, because i have the possibility of getting instate tuition. Also, WSU does that tier thing for their admissions, and if i could get a kick ass GRE score i could get in the top tier.

Thank you everyone who has posted so far. Definitely gonna check out that other thread with other peoples stats.

:)

oxyjen

UPenn c/o 2016
Nov 21, 2011
New Jersey
Status
Veterinary Student
Oh you still have quite a few classes to cover! This is great! I sincerely believe that the upper level sciences are what is important in vet school's eyes. And yes, the last 45 credits are important for sure. SO just keep up the hard work and the way I look at it, if you can prove that regardless of your circumstances you can come out of all of this still together - it says a lot about your character and maturity.

A 3.2 is NOT a bad GPA at all.. there is plenty of hope! The process of veterinary school applications, waiting to hear back and actually receiving (or not receiving) an interview can be devastating or ridiculously elating. Stay focused and stay positive. You'll be fine :thumbup:

OP
L
Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Pre-Veterinary
oxygen, you made my heart smile so big. i'm gonna look at that post whenever i'm getting down on myself.

we can do this!

have you applied yet? it says that you are "pre-veterinary"

oxyjen

UPenn c/o 2016
Nov 21, 2011
New Jersey
Status
Veterinary Student
I applied this cycle for c/o 2016 - a first timer! I got an acceptance to RVC and and interview to OSU (super duper excited!! and hoping I get OSU). I am glad I made you smile! I'm a firm believer that support from others is what gets you through this process.

You will rock the socks off of those schools!

OP
L
Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Pre-Veterinary
how exciting! OSU looks like a great school, what are some of your particular interests in the field? (small/large animal, exotics, etc)

oxyjen

UPenn c/o 2016
Nov 21, 2011
New Jersey
Status
Veterinary Student
how exciting! OSU looks like a great school, what are some of your particular interests in the field? (small/large animal, exotics, etc)
I'm thinking mixed - I am a huge equine person, but I've done a lot of work with small animals - perhaps specializing in orthepedics or dermatology. OSU is huge and it has so many programs and opportunities to explore other interests.. so I think thats why I really want that school.

What schools are you looking into? What are your interests?

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
Now, this is not to say that everyone who has a low GPA, like me, is going to be fortunate enough to get into vet school. I'm fairly certain that I have the worst GPA of my class, and the average for my class is something ridiculous like 3.7. Basically, all my classmates are too smart for there own good...or they've never had any fun in their lives. It's probably a pretty decent mixture of both of those.

I have been kicking my own butt since I started to make sure that I do well. I study more than most, don't do a lot of outside activities, and have basically just resigned myself to being a crazy cat lady for the next year. So far it's working because I'm doing pretty well in my classes.
We sound very similar in our situations, both before being accepted and during vet school. A lot of my friends just want to pass their classes, but I spent enough of my time suffering because I didn't kick my own butt. Now I am kicking my own butt and it's been worth it so far. I don't want to have to worry about grades holding me back any longer in life - I learned that lesson the hard way. I want to go into internship/residency applications with a solid GPA, whether or not it matters more than interviews; I'm the only one that can hold myself back at this point, and I'm not doing it any longer.

Reactions: psuforever390
OP
L
Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Pre-Veterinary
We sound very similar in our situations, both before being accepted and during vet school. A lot of my friends just want to pass their classes, but I spent enough of my time suffering because I didn't kick my own butt. Now I am kicking my own butt and it's been worth it so far. I don't want to have to worry about grades holding me back any longer in life - I learned that lesson the hard way. I want to go into internship/residency applications with a solid GPA, whether or not it matters more than interviews; I'm the only one that can hold myself back at this point, and I'm not doing it any longer.
I find it painful to realize that the only thing keeping me from truly succeeding is myself.

I have been lurking on this forum for so long, but I'm finally taking advantage of its resources and the amazing people that post, and I'm finding it to be so helpful. There aren't a ton of Pre-Vet students at my school. I compare myself to them and to my idea of what a competitive candidate is, and I fall short every time.

I have gotten a lot of hope learning that there have been people where I am now, and are now in a place that I hope to be one day.

Thanks all!:love:

OP
L
Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm thinking mixed - I am a huge equine person, but I've done a lot of work with small animals - perhaps specializing in orthepedics or dermatology. OSU is huge and it has so many programs and opportunities to explore other interests.. so I think thats why I really want that school.

What schools are you looking into? What are your interests?
I'm looking at all the WICHE schools, since New Mexico doesn't have a school, I can get in-state tuition to a couple of the schools in other states. So, Washington, Oregon, Colorado. Tufts if I had a million dollars haha.

But my primary interests are wildlife and conservation. One of my goals in life is to one day work with lions. RAWWWR!

jemappellejane

#stinkasaurus
Jun 16, 2011
where the beer flows like wine
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm a low gpa-er too (although, yours is not low!!) and I'm applying this cycle. Like you, I have a million varied hours of experience, so I'm hoping this really helps me stand out. Consider yourself lucky that you still have 3 semesters left. I never thought I'd say this, but I would kill to have those last 3 back so I could've done better!

Oct 10, 2010
Allentown, PA
Status
Pre-Veterinary

Jul 30, 2011
East Coast
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I might as well share my stats, in case anyone is curious.
My undergrad went by number grades. Since our letter system is calculated differently (80-84 is an A-!), I will just share the numbers and be blunt about it. I am actually at a school now that uses letters and it is strange! Everyone is taking about A-s and C+s so I have to do these mental calculations in my head to figure out what they mean.

Graduated with a B.Sc. in biology with honours (meaning I did a thesis). I never quite calculated my overall average but it was high enough to get honours (over a 75 in my major). I am going to guess that it is only in the 80-82 range. Most of my biology courses were in the 80-91 range (it is difficult to get 90s in the institution I attended) but I had a falling out with the 4 chemistry courses I have taken and physics.

My vet school looks at the average of your pre-req courses. Because of how they calculate it, most of my courses are 87. My 3 chemistry pre-reqs, physics and an english class is dragging my pre-req average down to an 80.xx. The pre-req average to get an interview in my area is 83. Right now, I am "upgrading". I took another english class to replace my lower english mark. Next semester, I have organic II (to replace organic I) and astronomy to replace my physics mark. My plan was to take all of the chem classes I am eligible for, but they are either not being offered or were canceled which really p***** me off. I did some rough calculations. If I do reasonable in my courses, I will have an 84 pre-req average for the next app cycle. If I do above reasonable, it will only get higher.

Like I said, chem kicked my butt. I struggled with it in high school. When I got to university, I did not realize you could drop a course without it having bad repercussions. So I made horrible marks in my gen chem courses. When I took organic, I looked for a tutor and none was to be found. I have no idea why I stuck with it. I did absolutely horrible. I re-took it two years ago to prepare myself for organic II (I felt like I learned nothing in organic I) and improved a fair bit, but re-taking courses does not count on my vet school application! I still could not get a tutor in organic II, but the prof was very helpful. I put a lot of hours into the coursework, but due to health issues, I chose to drop it.

So, that is my story. My GRE is only average, so I have scheduled to take it again in January which I hope will give me an extra boost. I did spend a lot of time in undergrad volunteering, working and doing research so I know those are some positives on my application. I also plan on gaining residency in a less competitive area. All that involves is working for a year and I have come to realize that with a B.Sc and research experience, I will not have to be stuck working retail or fast food. By the time I gain residency, general chemistry and one of my english classes will have expired, so I my plan is to re-take those and do well, which will boost my average even futher. Unless something goes horribly horribly wrong (like I make 40s from now on or change my mind), I can see vet school in the future. It is just going to take me some extra time to get there.

Looking back at undergrad, I cannot help but think what possessed me to keep chugging along when it was obvious I was struggling. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!

Looking on the bright side, if I had been that model student who got in after 2 years of undergrad, I would have never gotten to take parasitology, work as a lab assistant, be a student researcher, or write a thesis. I got to do some travel to gain veterinary experience and right now, I am volunteering at an amazing clinic. I must have some potential because my research supervisor looked past my low chemistry grades and took me on. He is supportive of me gaining residency and that feels good. Thanks to him, if vet school falls apart, he helped me find some people that I can do a masters with.

I have cried and stressed myself out because I am "not good enough" to get into vet school. Nothing wrong with that. Just do not spend all of your time doing it. You may just miss out on the good aspects of having to stick with undergrad an additional year. Right now, I am at a new university with new styles of teaching and I am meeting a lot of new people (and finally getting to hang out with my old friends who I have not seen since starting undergrad).

I apologize for rambling. I just wanted to say "Hello. I have a low GPA too! Things could be worse I guess."

Dec 6, 2012
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hello all,
I am new to this site. I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer. First, let me start by saying that I graduated college 9 years ago with a B.S. degree in the legal field. I didnt do very well, only to graduate with a 2.7, horrible I know. I recently went back to school for a Masters degree in a non- science related field, only to bring my GPA to a 3.8. Since I have been in the program and doing very well, I have decided to take the prereq courses for Vet School because it has always been a strong interest of mine. I feel that I will never know unless I give it my best shot. Can anyone tell me if I even stand a chance, providing I get the best grades in both the Masters program and Undergraduate Health Professions? And will all Vet schools just look at my last 45 credits or will they also take into consideration my horrible undergrad degree? Which Vet schools look at the last 45 credits?
I am also starting my volunteer work at the local animal shelter where I will be assisting in surgery as well. Any helpful hints and or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you all....
D

BlackDog17

AVC c/o 2017
Dec 3, 2012
The Great White North
Status
Veterinary Student
Hello all,
I am new to this site. I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer. First, let me start by saying that I graduated college 9 years ago with a B.S. degree in the legal field. I didnt do very well, only to graduate with a 2.7, horrible I know. I recently went back to school for a Masters degree in a non- science related field, only to bring my GPA to a 3.8. Since I have been in the program and doing very well, I have decided to take the prereq courses for Vet School because it has always been a strong interest of mine. I feel that I will never know unless I give it my best shot. Can anyone tell me if I even stand a chance, providing I get the best grades in both the Masters program and Undergraduate Health Professions? And will all Vet schools just look at my last 45 credits or will they also take into consideration my horrible undergrad degree? Which Vet schools look at the last 45 credits?
I am also starting my volunteer work at the local animal shelter where I will be assisting in surgery as well. Any helpful hints and or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you all....
D
I think because your first degree was so long ago and in an entirely different field, they won't put much weight on that first set of undergraduate grades. Just continue to do well with the masters and the pre-reqs and you should be okay. It will definitely show that you've "grown up" and found more focus since undergrad.

Just make sure you get plenty of hands-on experience in the veterinary field before applying. Since both of your degrees are non-science, you want to make sure you are showing the admissions committees that you are serious about entering this field, and not just applying for the heck of it because you can.

There's also a "What are my chances?" thread on this forum where people give advice about applying to vet school based on your current stats.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Kpowell14

Mizzou c/o 2017
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2012
COMO
Status
Veterinarian
Hello all,
Thank you all....
D
First let me say that I love your name :) I am a DANE LOVER lol as soon as I'm able I will adopt a Dane from the Dane rescue I volunteer with... But that's besides the point...

There is hope!!! I know for sure that Mizzou offers an option to basically delete grades older then 6 years old... Here is the link to their website which discusses this.

http://vetmed.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm

other schools may have other options similar to this, but I'm not sure. Best of luck to you!!

Kpowell14

Mizzou c/o 2017
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2012
COMO
Status
Veterinarian

bbeventer

Illinois 2016
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2010