Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine 07-08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official response:

With the overwhelming number of applications this year (up 50% from last year), it has taken a while to finish reviewing all the applications. Each application is read by two members of the admissions committee, and not all members are equally efficient, so some applications are out for review longer than others. Students have been invited for interviews on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed. We expect be done with this process by the end of November, i.e. Friday, and will be notifying students by email.

Congrats to those who get in! Guess its the looong road for me.

Edit: After reading this five times over LOL, it looks like the final interview spots will be sent on Friday via email. It's clearly past my bedtime.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess there is nothing to do now but be patient for a few more days. Sounds like fun to me... :/ Thanks for the message, wrongstuff. Good luck , all.

Hey guys,

I guess Friday is not the only date that they are sending them out, because I got my invitation to interview today. I am very excited! I hope you all hear soon! Also, for those who have already been interviewed: what sort of attire are they expecting? Thanks and good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your interview Czechmate! I'm glad that I'll know something soon even if the news happens to not be what I am hoping for. It's good to be (almost) done waiting, good luck with your interview!

i think that means the rest of us are looking at the big R. whatever guys, life is still good.

I hope I get rejected! I'm no longer pre-med...I'm embracing my humanities side completely now. So, I'll be a doctor one day (just a doctor of philosophy).

Now, Mt. Sinai, cash my damn application fee before I cancel the check!

I hope I get rejected! I'm no longer pre-med...I'm embracing my humanities side completely now. So, I'll be a doctor one day (just a doctor of philosophy).

Now, Mt. Sinai, cash my damn application fee before I cancel the check!
But the whole point of applying to Mt. Sinai was that you were full-blown humanities???

I'm kinda depressed overall, but thank god this didn't happen during finals week! :)

Czech - Are you male or female? Guys wear suits, in the typical black, navy, or gray. The girls at the interview wore all kinds of things, some of which may not have been appropriate. I wore a suit, but business casual was common for the women.

Thanks for the wishes guys, and for the advice, Valaen! There is still Friday, so try not to get depressed prematurely! I know it is easier said than done...but don't give up hope. :) Best of luck to you all!

2:00 am and I just finished another bio assignment.

Two other group members dropped the class, other group member screwed up most of it. I am doing the workload of 3 other people, consistently...

Bio is fun but I wont be able to handle physics, calc, organic chem all stacked up.

This is exactly why I needed to get into this program. :(

But the whole point of applying to Mt. Sinai was that you were full-blown humanities???

I'm kinda depressed overall, but thank god this didn't happen during finals week! :)

After reflecting on my own feelings towards medicine, my sister's experiences as a doctor, my own three weeks spent in three different hospitals, advice from family/professors/advisers, and re-evaluating my hopes and dreams...I decided I want to stay as far away from medicine as possible. However, best of luck to everyone else. If this does not work out, I'm sure everything else will. Cheers!

Dear Mr.------------------

Thank you for applying to the Humanities and Medicine Program.

As with every program, many more qualified applicants apply than can be
accepted. This year, in particular, we had a 50% increase in
applications. This made our selection process even more competitive
than in the past. I regret to inform you that you have not been
selected for admission to this program. This decision was reached after
careful review of your application and supporting material by the
program's Admissions Committee.

This decision in no way reflects on your qualifications for future
acceptance to medical school. We hope this decision will not discourage
you from pursuing a career in medicine or from considering Mount Sinai
School of Medicine in the future. Each year, the incoming class at
Mount Sinai School of Medicine has several students who had originally
applied to the Humanities and Medicine Program.

We wish you success in your future academic pursuits.

Sincerely yours,

Mary R. Rifkin, PhD

Director, Humanities and Medicine Program

------------------------

I got into a great JHS program by pure luck

I got into a great high school by pure chance

I got into a great college through determination

I got rejected from med school and it feels like termination

------

I am going to go out tonight and party, live life and continue pursuing what I feel to be my calling. Travel abroad next year, spend a few weeks w/ doctors in south america next summer providing aid to those who don't have easy access to medical treatments and we'll see where it goes from there.

Rejection is part of life, even when you aim high and work hard you sometimes get put down, but what determines your true path in life is your ability to get yourself back up and put yourself back on track. Good luck to you all, this application process has been an interesting and insightful glance and I do not regret it one bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, thewrongstuff. My suggestion would be to find some friends who thought you were 100% nuts for applying to med school so early, and let them tell you why you never wanted to go there anyway. That's what I always do when I get some disappointing news - pretend not to care! :)

Good luck with all the other things you can do now!

Hey Wrongstuff- I got the same email. Don't worry...only 25 people in the country get into med school this way. Everyone else gets in through the normal system. Think- Now we get to spend our summer before senior year doing fun things instead of spending it at a med school! Go out tonight and party hard like I will!

same email here....it's ok. we can do better than sinai. i mean that, all of us are at great schools and will have great qualifications. if you're passionate about medicine, things will work out for you in the end. i'm sure of it.

same email here...perhaps those of us that have been rejected will end up being classmates at some other medical school...best of luck to everyone else who is still finishing up their prerequisites...enjoy orgo, it is a real ballbuster...

When do we hear back. I am getting very antsy.

Dr. Rifkin told us that they will definitely have the results made by the end of the month. She said that they might be up Dec. 31st, but they could be up earlier too. Definitely by New Year's though. This month had better go by quickly.... :)

the waiting process is a killer! i'm going to just try and forget about it...
easier said than done though

does anyone know how we find out? Is it via email?
thanks!

I am pretty sure that we will find out via email. So far all messages have been via email and I think that the decisions last year were sent out over email... That's what I think anyway.

So what do we think... before Christmas or after? I suspect it will be after, but my wishful thinking is saying before... :)

is this before new years deal for everyone who interviews before new years? or is it only for people who have interviewed so far. i'm interviewing tomorrow, so that would be nice to hear that quickly...

i guess ill ask tomorrow

Yaniv, this is the thread for the Humanities and Medicine program. We're second-year students who are going for an early acceptance, and I'm pretty sure all of our interviews are done already. I know that no one is interviewing after New Years', for sure.

I'm only half-hoping that the decision will be made before Christmas. I mean, if I get the rejection e-mail, that will put a bit of a damper on the holiday, won't it? So I would guess they're sending them out afterward.

Well there is about one week left, so I would just like to wish everyone good luck and Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays! Stay cool, y'all.

its possible we could find out tomorrow.. right?

oh man, over the next week i am going to be checking my e-mail quite a few times a day... haha

good luck everyone and happy holidays :)

i'm joining this thread *very* late in the game (sorry!), but for what it's worth, my check was just cashed on friday. that makes me think that the whole process is done and they had time to take care of the checks. (or maybe i'm just reading too much into it.)
all in all though, i am preferring to not hear on xmas eve...i'm thinking/hoping it'll be thursday or friday. good luck to everyone!!!

i'm joining this thread *very* late in the game (sorry!), but for what it's worth, my check was just cashed on friday. that makes me think that the whole process is done and they had time to take care of the checks. (or maybe i'm just reading too much into it.)
all in all though, i am preferring to not hear on xmas eve...i'm thinking/hoping it'll be thursday or friday. good luck to everyone!!!

I'm anticipating the end of this week, too. Although I'm pretty sure all the interviews are over, it seems rotten that they would wait so long to cash your check! I'm sorry you had to wait through the whole process. Good luck, no matter what happens!

I know people who have already heard back...If we have yet to hear back does that mean we are not in?

Already? Dr. Rifkin told us the 31st... That'd be really bad- every day that goes by our chances go down :(... though unless you know 30 people who have heard, I guess there's still a chance. I assume everyone who heard got in?

The adcoms know about SDN and other forums. They wouldn't send out acceptances first (and on Christmas???) and rejections several days later. They know that we would all find out from each other if that was the case. My guess is that someone is trying to get a rise out of the nervous little premeds by making us think we've all been rejected. Don't assume anything until you get that e-mail.

I agree it wouldn't make sense, especially given the high number of applicants they have this year. But why would yth be that... evil? I'm just going to take my mind off this and read the e-mail when it gets here.

I'm not saying the person who posted here has cruel intentions, but s/he has mostly been posting nervously, if you look at the post history. It's all "when will we find out? did they give out all the interviews already?" etc. etc. Perhaps someone told him/her that they had heard from Mount Sinai already, and s/he took it seriously. Or perhaps this rumor started from a misunderstanding of the other (regular admission) MSSM thread, because there was a recent admissions decision round over there. Maybe the fact that people who did not get interviews were recently formally rejected cause the confusion. It could be any number of things, but I'm not going to panic about it just yet.

I was merely wondering since I had heard someone from my school was accepted but had yet to read that someone was accepted on this thread...Sorry if my post offended anyone. And I am particularly sorry to hear that VelaenOscuridad has enough time on her/his hands to be researching my previous posting.

Didn't offend me, just wanted to know for sure. Was the person definitely accepted to this particular program?

That is what he told me..so I would assume so.

I was merely wondering since I had heard someone from my school was accepted but had yet to read that someone was accepted on this thread...Sorry if my post offended anyone. And I am particularly sorry to hear that VelaenOscuridad has enough time on her/his hands to be researching my previous posting.

No need to be rude. I just don't want people to get all worked up over what is probably nothing to worry about. They might send out acceptances first, but they certainly wouldn't spread them out over several days.

Well I got my rejection this morning, so I suppose all of this hubbub is not relevant anymore. Congrats to those who got in, and condolences to those who didn't. It was fun while it lasted, but what can ya do? Life goes on. Take care, all.

I'm sorry it didn't work out czechmate... but I'm sure you know that everyone who has made it this far in the process is going to rock the med school admissions process when it comes around. I was so intimidated and impressed by everyone at my interview!

I'm surprised that nobody else has posted their result... I'm assuming everyone has heard back by now?

anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. I got good news a few days ago. very excited!!:D PM me if you wanna talk!

Well I got my rejection this morning, so I suppose all of this hubbub is not relevant anymore. Congrats to those who got in, and condolences to those who didn't. It was fun while it lasted, but what can ya do? Life goes on. Take care, all.

Hey buddy...don't let it ruin your break.

Just view it as a preview of things to come...you will do great and like city girl said, will rock the process in 2 yrs or whenever.

Happy new year and don't beat yourself up, buy yourself something really cool and forget about the worries!

* I added this page to my favs months ago so this is my main link to sdn...everytime I land on sdn I go through here...it doesn't bug me :p