Moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll be moving to Boston (very soon...) and realistically - how do most people move?!? By drive, I live 12 hours away from Boston and I don't plan on taking my car with me.

I guess I also haven't figured out whether the place I'll live in will be furnished or not furnished, but it will likely not be furnished (ie. I do have furniture I could take with me, but I'm guessing most people just try to buy furniture off of craigslist or something??).

Any tips would be awesome! I went to an in-state school, very near home, so I never had to worry about this before :(

Members don't see this ad.

Most people in the real world use moving companies to move their household goods or they rent a truck and try to do it themselves. You can either take your stuff with you or buy new stuff when you get there. (you could buy it where ever the stuff you are looking for is sold: craigslist, a store, make it yourself) Your choice. Sorry if that is a little vague but you need to be more specific in your question if you want a more specific answer.

Why aren't you bringing your car?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, people I know have gone the U-Haul route. And they have really fun 'parties' where you help carry all their stuff to the truck or trailer for them. And by 'fun', I mean awful.

Otherwise, there are myriad professional moving options, but those cost more money. I'm using 'two men and a truck' for my next move, but it's just local. I don't know if there are long-distance equivalents (but there probably are).

Hm, I decided no car because I'm not sure if I'd really need one in Boston with an extensive metro layout. I also heard shoving snow in winter and finding/paying for parking in a place like Boston was a pain...

I guess I could ship only the necessary stuff (in boxes) and try to buy the big stuff like furniture when I'm there...

Also, don't I need to be above a certain age (Im 21) to be able to rent cars/u-hauls?

Hm, I decided no car because I'm not sure if I'd really need one in Boston with an extensive metro layout. I also heard shoving snow in winter and finding/paying for parking in a place like Boston was a pain...

I guess I could ship only the necessary stuff (in boxes) and try to buy the big stuff like furniture when I'm there...

Also, don't I need to be above a certain age (Im 21) to be able to rent cars/u-hauls?

I know it's 25, but I'm not sure if that varies from state to state, or if that's the age requirement across the board.

I retract that last statement.

"You only need to be 18 years old with a valid driver's license to rent our equipment. You do not need a commercial driver's license."

Who knew they had different regulations for U-hauls than they did for regular vehicles.

you definitely don't need a car in Boston. It's more of a hassle than a benefit in a city like that & the T can take you wherever you need to go.