MP3 voice recorders for lectures - any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncalcate

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying an MP3 voice recorder to record certain lectures. Does anyone currently do this? If so, what equipment do you use? I have read a bunch of reviews of players on Amazon, but I figured my fellow students would be the best reviewers. The last thing I want to do is to plunk down $200 for an MP3 device that plays music really well, but gives me crappy lecture recordings that are useless. Any comments/advice/model numbers will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about buying an MP3 voice recorder to record certain lectures. Does anyone currently do this?

yeah, the biggest dorks in the class who sit in the front row do this all the time. there's little point in attending lectures, much less recording them.

i couldn't agree more with doc05.

Some of the newer digital recorders are pretty nice. (I got a Sony ICD- ST20.) No motor background noise, very small, and you can upload the files to your computer permanently. Even convert them to mp3 files, whatever. The original file is recorded in WAV format, I think, but it's easy to interconvert to whatever you want with free software over the net. The fact that they are so small means that you also won't look like a total dork. Mine kind of looks like a cell phone, in fact.

I have to admit, though, that I haven't been using mine very often. It's nice to have the option, though.