MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else still waiting on LoR's to be submitted even though you've been pestering your contacts for 3 months? :rolleyes: I know it shouldn't affect my chances for admission but I can't help but feel anxious

I’m with you. My third reference has already asked for an extension twice. Worst part is that I asked her months ago and even took off work to chat with her in person. She Emailed me at 12:30A this morning stating it would be completed today, so we shall see.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I checked the Columbia Mailman applicant portal and it says they’ve received 3 of my recommendation letters.
I technically had 4 recommendation letters and the fourth letter was my strongest (from the university’s president).
Should I call their admissions to ask which three they’re listing? Would it be bad to ask them to omit one and replace it with another?
I'm in the same boat! I have four but the portal only shows three. I am thinking its because they only require three, so that's how many you need for the application to be "complete". But, they must still be able to see it through SOPHAS. Someone asked a similar question in an online chat with them a couple of weeks ago and they said they read all letters submitted.

Undergraduate School: Private engineering school in the south
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.04 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: Math (focus in engineering)
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): 160V/86th, 158Q/67th, 5.5AW/98th (taken fall 2014)

Experience/research:
- 3 years (will be 4 by fall 2020) of work with a US public health regulator working on drug regulation and data analysis
- senior capstone studying environmental impacts of invasive species
- president of music organization in undergrad
- member of multiple honor societies in undergrad
- executive board of several undergrad organizations

Letters of Rec: supervisor from current and previous job, one professor (was also my advisor), and my current office's director

Interested in: drug quality, pregnancy outcomes in women with chronic illnesses, pharmaceutical surveillance

Applying: all MPH epidemiology! GW, UMD, JHU, USF, Emory, CUNY, Drexel (?)

Honestly, I'm pretty terrified of getting in anywhere let alone somewhere I can afford (I'm in-state for Maryland so that's my goal school). Anyone have any words of advice or encouragement? Do I even try? Lol

Holy cow, just got accepted to Hopkins!!

Those who were also accepted - did they include scholarship info in their admissions email or if it's separate? I didn't see any mention of it, so I'm hoping that isn't bad news!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy cow, just got accepted to Hopkins!!

Those who were also accepted - did they include scholarship info in their admissions email or if it's separate? I didn't see any mention of it, so I'm hoping that isn't bad news!

Hi, when did you get a email from them saying they were reviewing your application?

For any future procrastinators looking through this forum: I submitted applications yesterday and today and they are all verified. The first took about 8 hours to verify, the second was verified maybe two hours after submission. Just make sure all of your materials (and triple check your transcript entries) are in when you submit and it will be done quickly!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m with you. My third reference has already asked for an extension twice. Worst part is that I asked her months ago and even took off work to chat with her in person. She Emailed me at 12:30A this morning stating it would be completed today, so we shall see.
Oh dang she asked for an extension?! Yeah that's the thing I don't understand-- they've had months to do this and being professors, they've GOT to have a go-to template for this kinda stuff since LoR's kinda come along with the job lol... One of mine sent it in minutes after I posted this morning, but still waiting on the other two. Hope yours get in!

Does anyone know anything about Northwestern's MPH program? Like reputation, etc. I am not finding much on it.

Has anyone heard anything from UMich, Emory, UWash, UNC regarding them receiving the application?
It's been a month and I haven't gotten any email saying they got my application. Kind of worried!

I am applying to Michigan and UNC also. Within a few business days UNC sent me the link to send in the secondary application to the Graduate school. Also within a few days Michigan sent me an e-mail inviting me to set up a "Friends Account" and Wolverine access. I would make sure you are checking your spam or send them an e-mail if you applied that long ago!

When did you receive an email saying your Columbia application was marked “complete”, asking you to create a portal?
I got the notification for the interview on 11/26. I got the portal email on 11/15.

I totally botched it and didn't catch a few supplemental questions on an app and ended up submitting it. Will this affect my overall application? The questions weren't labeled as *required* like some are so I'm hoping it's not too big of a deal. Would y'all recommend reaching out to the admissions office or will they reach out if they are in need of those answers? Thank you!

I actually did the same thing (for Columbia) ~ I'm sure a ton of people did too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate School: SEC School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.79
Major: public health
GRE (including date taken): 150Q/152V

Experience/work
- extensive research experience in public health
- been involved with a couple of major projects
- co-author in a peer-reviewed published paper
- semester internship in the public health field

Letters of Rec: research mentor, program director, and volunteer coordinator

Interested in: health policy and reproductive health

Applying: In order of preference: Emory, Yale, Vanderbilt, Texas, South Carolina, and Colorado

Is my GRE holding me back from top tier/reach schools? I want to think my GPA and experience make up for lower GRE scores but wanted to get more feedback

How do we avoid that existential dread for the next 3 months? I submitted my Hopkins PhD app and now I don't know how to take my mind off of it.
Last year they released some admission results for my program (Mental Health) mid-January. I am banking on finding out then. Otherwise I might just lose my mind.

Does anyone know anything about Dartmouth's MPH program? Acceptance rate, class size, etc.

I would take the "under review" emails with a grain of salt. I submitted my Columbia app on 11/25, verified the same day, and got two emails on Thanksgiving evening (like 8pm) asking me to create a portal and saying that my app was under review. No one was in the office at that time obviously, so the emails are definitely automated to send at the time the university receives all of your materials from SOPHAS. The actual review date (in my case) will be in the future.

Will any acceptance/rejection notifications be done through SOPHAS or is everything going to be through the different schools' emails?

I would take the "under review" emails with a grain of salt. I submitted my Columbia app on 11/25, verified the same day, and got two emails on Thanksgiving evening (like 8pm) asking me to create a portal and saying that my app was under review. No one was in the office at that time obviously, so the emails are definitely automated to send at the time the university receives all of your materials from SOPHAS. The actual review date (in my case) will be in the future.

did your portal say certain things were missing? Mine did even though everything is submitted on SOPHAS..I wonder if that'll populate itself?

Has anyone hear back Yale? When they confirmed my application they said expect to hear back after Thanksgiving. I’m literally dying waiting.

Has anyone hear back Yale? When they confirmed my application they said expect to hear back after Thanksgiving. I’m literally dying waiting.
Is it that quick? I just got a message with my personalized website and that’s about it. What program did you apply to?

Did everyone turn in your applications all at once? I literally applied to three programs that are my top choices and have the earliest deadlines. Plan is to keep submitting more apps if the first three didn't work out.
I did the same thing. What are your stats?

Brown U, Yale, and NYU apps are under review as of this morning. Brown U said 8-12 Weeks, Yale Rolling, and NYU just said it'll take some time lol.

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: SEC School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.79
Major: public health
GRE (including date taken): 150Q/152V

Experience/work
- extensive research experience in public health
- been involved with a couple of major projects
- co-author in a peer-reviewed published paper
- semester internship in the public health field

Letters of Rec: research mentor, program director, and volunteer coordinator

Interested in: health policy and reproductive health

Applying: In order of preference: Emory, Yale, Vanderbilt, Texas, South Carolina, and Colorado

Is my GRE holding me back from top tier/reach schools? I want to think my GPA and experience make up for lower GRE scores but wanted to get more feedback

Though a higher GRE score would make anyone more competitive, I would not say that it's 'holding' you back. MPH programs are far less selective than MBA/DDS/MD/JD/etc. programs and appear to take a much more holistic approach when reviewing apps. Based on previous threads and some posts within this forum, people with much lower GRE scores were admitted into great programs. I can't definitively say, but if you have a strong SOP, LORs, and experience, your list seems more than achievable. Best of luck.

It is literally the first business day after Thanksgiving weekend lol

Reactions: 2 users
Is it that quick? I just got a message with my personalized website and that’s about it. What program did you apply to?
I turned in my app in October and it's already under review. I applied to HCM (straight from undergrad)

I turned in my app in October and it's already under review. I applied to HCM (straight from undergrad)

Got it got it. My last recommender turned in the letter yesterday and I got the under review message today. They mentioned rolling admissions so I think it’s just best to relax and wait

I did the same thing. What are your stats?
I'm applying from an SEC school, GPA 3.9 (public health and a language major), GRE 161v 166q, 4. Experiences at Big Pharma, a DC nonprofit and the public health program at my university. Mostly applying to the health management track.

Got it got it. My last recommender turned in the letter yesterday and I got the under review message today. They mentioned rolling admissions so I think it’s just best to relax and wait
Woof thanks good luck

May be a ridiculous question, but have any of you realized that some programs use healthcare and others use health care? I know there are a bunch of articles stating why one or the other is correct. Do you think using “healthcare” instead of “health care” on a statement of purpose would look bad for a school like Yale that uses “health care” as two words? BU is an example of a school that recognizes “healthcare”. Random 5PM thought.

One of my recommenders just submitted their LOR, but two of the programs I applied to had priority deadlines of December 1st (UCLA & Berkeley). Everything else was in before the deadline and I received emails from both programs thanking me for my application, but does this make my application late?

Last edited:
One of my recommenders just submitted their LOR, but two of the programs I applied to had priority deadlines of December 1st (UCLA & Berkeley). Everything else was in before the deadline and I received emails from both programs thanking me for my application, but does this make my application late?

Generally schools mention that they count the day you hit submit as the day that really determines if you application is late or not-- they usually give 1-2 weeks leeway for test scores, transcripts, and letters of rec to trickle in. If you're worried you can email/call, though I think I recall most UCs count your application as submitted on time based on when you submit yourself, not when the application is actually complete.

Do all the top schools pretty much have hard 'cut offs' at the 50th percentile for the GRE quant score?

I got a 153Q (49th percentile) so i'm a little worried about that.

Do all the top schools pretty much have hard 'cut offs' at the 50th percentile for the GRE quant score?

Highly doubt it—unless you absolutely bomb the exam I doubt they’ll automatically disqualify your candidacy. Based on previous posts/forums, people with much lower GRE scores were admitted into top programs.

Reactions: 1 users

I got into a top program and my quant was in the 37 percentile. Granted, I had gpa and experience to make up for it and did not apply to epi concentrations. The GRE is a joke and I’m mad at myself that I even stressed over it.

I got into a top program and my quant was in the 37 percentile. Granted, I had gpa and experience to make up for it and did not apply to epi concentrations. The GRE is a joke and I’m mad at myself that I even stressed over it.
Nice, yeah, you have a near perfect GPA, that's awesome. I feel like I have good experience. 2.5 years work experience at local NGOS in East Africa and Central America at managerial level and am applying for global health. I had a decent GPA (3.5 ish), but nothing like yours! I saw a post in the 2017 MPH thread that worried me that I might have disqualified myself by scoring under the 50% percentile for the Quant, but I guess since I've already applied, no sense in worrying about it now, we will see what happens. Congrats on your acceptance! :)

Nice, yeah, you have a near perfect GPA, that's awesome. I feel like I have good experience. 2.5 years work experience at local NGOS in East Africa and Central America at managerial level and am applying for global health. I had a decent GPA (3.5 ish), but nothing like yours! I saw a post in the 2017 MPH thread that worried me that I might have disqualified myself by scoring under the 50% percentile for the Quant, but I guess since I've already applied, no sense in worrying about it now, we will see what happens. Congrats on your acceptance! :)
Thank you! Don’t sell yourself short. It’s easy to get hung up during app season— think of why these programs want you and sell yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
I need some feedback and to know if I'm totally screwed.

I just looked at my submitted application for Columbia and I realized that none of my additional question answers saved so it looks like I just didn't answer them. I just emailed Columbia explaining this and offering to email my responses so I'll see what they say.

Anyone else experience this? I hate SOPHAS so much right now.

May be a ridiculous question, but have any of you realized that some programs use healthcare and others use health care? I know there are a bunch of articles stating why one or the other is correct. Do you think using “healthcare” instead of “health care” on a statement of purpose would look bad for a school like Yale that uses “health care” as two words? BU is an example of a school that recognizes “healthcare”. Random 5PM thought.

Generally speaking, health care is a noun, in America it is proper English to use a hyphenated "health-care" as an adjective, also in Britain "health care" is two words as a noun, but used as an adjective they use "healthcare" such as "healthcare system" . . . In the US "health care" is still more popular and I think it is best to stick with what is more grammatically correct and popular, i.e. "health care".

I wouldn't use "healthcare" alone as a noun or expect people to think I am talking about the health care system, at first glance it looks wrong to smoosh together the two words!

Accepted into GWU for Health Policy! Good to know that I'll be going somewhere! Apps at Yale, BU, UNC, Michigan, and Tufts are confirmed and under review. Still waiting to hear back from Emory on reception. So excited! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted into GWU for Health Policy! Good to know that I'll be going somewhere! Apps at Yale, BU, UNC, Michigan, and Tufts are confirmed and under review. Still waiting to hear back from Emory on reception. So excited! Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! May I ask when you received an Email? Also, when did your app go under review? I too applied for Health Policy!