MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know some folks in the Harvard MPH and SM programs who scored below the program minimums. Don't stress.
Can I PM you about reqs for harvards SM program? I applied there too and am wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Heard back from Texas yesterday and was accepted!

Hey! Congratulations. Which program and University from Texas did you apply to? Also, when did you submit your applications?

I decided to change my track and they notified me recently that my new application is under review! I am not sure when I will hear back from them.

Hi! Does anyone know how long it takes for SOPHAS to send recommendation letters/transcripts etc. to the school you are applying to? I'm verified through SOPHAS already but when I log on to the actual applicant portal for certain schools it says they have yet to receive LORs and transcripts...

Members don't see this ad :)
Got invited to interview the JHU MSPH program!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! Does anyone know how long it takes for SOPHAS to send recommendation letters/transcripts etc. to the school you are applying to? I'm verified through SOPHAS already but when I log on to the actual applicant portal for certain schools it says they have yet to receive LORs and transcripts...

It could take a few days to a couple of weeks depending on when it was submitted. It may be worth contacting SOPHAS, especially if you submitted your apps. with all your letters submitted. I submitted a bunch of apps mid-November, which were all verified within 24 hours but my third letter was not submitted until 11/25, and a few schools told me that they received it on 12/2, which was the Monday after Thanksgiving break.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Congratulations. Which program and University from Texas did you apply to? Also, when did you submit your applications?

I decided to change my track and they notified me recently that my new application is under review! I am not sure when I will hear back from them.
I applied to The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston SPH / Health Promotion and Health Education and submitted 11/25 (verified 11/27). With their deadline being Dec 1st I would guess they are just starting their review process, at least for HPHE. Best of luck!

Hey everyone! So I applied to the dual degree (MPH/JD) program at UCLA & Columbia and I didn't do too well on my GRE (V-134, Q-147, AW-3.0) and instead of retaking it I chose to take the LSAT instead in hopes of doing better, but I don't take it until mid-January.

I have already submitted my apps before the priority deadline and was gonna wait and submit my LSAT scores instead....Would that cause my application to not be considered a priority?

Congrats!!! When/ how did you receive confirmation from Unc?

Hi, did anyone know the deadline of UCI MPH? I know the date is Dec 15, but what specific time? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I submitted 11/25 (verified 11/27) for UT at Houston SPH in HPHE.
Hey, I'm also applying to UT HPHE and just submitted my application on December 1st, 2019. I'm kinda scared because my GRE score wasn't that good. If you are comfortable doing so, can you share your GRE scores with me?

I thought I would relax once all my apps were submitted but I feel more stressed and anxious waiting! Especially with all of these "rolling" admissions decisions, I refresh my email at least 40 times a day.

Reactions: 11 users
Hey, I'm also applying to UT HPHE and just submitted my application on December 1st, 2019. I'm kinda scared because my GRE score wasn't that good. If you are comfortable doing so, can you share your GRE scores with me?
Yeah of course! My GRE was 159V 161Q 4.0AWA. But even if your score was on the lower side, I know they have their recommended minimum at 298 combined for masters students. I also emailed them and asked if they have stats for GRE which they did not, so I would assume they take a very holistic approach to the application.

Hey everyone! So I applied to the dual degree (MPH/JD) program at UCLA & Columbia and I didn't do too well on my GRE (V-134, Q-147, AW-3.0) and instead of retaking it I chose to take the LSAT instead in hopes of doing better, but I don't take it until mid-January.

I have already submitted my apps before the priority deadline and was gonna wait and submit my LSAT scores instead....Would that cause my application to not be considered a priority?

I have to agree with rosemary. If you factor in the processing time, you're looking at early to mid-February which is well past many priority deadlines. Not sure if it's currently possible but have you considered retaking the GRE sometime this month?

Last edited:
I received an email from Harvard saying to create a HarvardKey but it’s giving me an error (error code: KEY-50 Key applicant portal but when I try to create one it says “You are not currently eligible to claim a HarvardKey (error code: KEY-5086)” is anyone else having this problem??

I just got the email from Harvard today, and I created the key. Is it working for you now?

I just got the email from Harvard today, and I created the key. Is it working for you now?

How long was it between submitting your app and getting that email please? I’m sure it just takes time and I shouldn’t stress about not getting the “received” email yet, but it’d be nice to have a time frame since I’ve gotten the “received/under review” message from other schools already. Thanks!!

How long was it between submitting your app and getting that email please? I’m sure it just takes time and I shouldn’t stress about not getting the “received” email yet, but it’d be nice to have a time frame since I’ve gotten the “received/under review” message from other schools already. Thanks!!

My last recommendation letter was submitted 12/1, and I received the email 12/4. Harvard was also one of the slower confirmed for me.

My last recommendation letter was submitted 12/1, and I received the email 12/4. Harvard was also one of the slower confirmed for me.

Ok, I was verified 11/27 and everything was already in so I might check to make sure they've received my stuff. Thanks and good luck!!

Has anybody heard back from Boston University? On the portal it says that the university would reach out within a week to give an update on my application but I haven't heard anything yet. They received my app on 11/26

Schools often give you a week or two of grace, not 2 months. If you take the exam January 15th, get your scores 2 weeks later, and they take 2 weeks to get sent and processed, schools won't have them till mid February. I doubt they will consider it a priority submission at that point.. seems like you are shooting yourself in the foot...

Yeah I get it! It would be far too much of s stretch! Guess I'll send my GRE scores and hope for the best!

I have to agree with rosemary. If you factor in the processing time, you're looking at early to mid-February which is well past many priority deadlines. Not sure if it's currently possible but have you considered retaking the GRE sometime this month?

Yeah I definitely agree with both of you! I might consider retaking the GRE, but im not sure if i'll do any better!

Has anybody heard back from Boston University? On the portal it says that the university would reach out within a week to give an update on my application but I haven't heard anything yet. They received my app on 11/26

According to the Email that I received, they're still reviewing Spring 2020 apps and will begin reviewing Fall 2020 apps come January. However, based on previous threads, it looks like people start hearing back as soon as mid-December.

According to the Email that I received, they're still reviewing Spring 2020 apps and will begin reviewing Fall 2020 apps come January. However, based on previous threads, it looks like people start hearing back as soon as mid-December.

Wow, not too long from now! Thanks for the info!

I have, but they said it was a mistake that they sent out the letter out this early as they would normally send it out in Jan.
Do they acknowledge your application at least? Like that’s it’s under review?
I guess I’m gonna be stressed out until January

Has anyone heard back in any way from Emory? I submitted 10/17 to the BSHE department, and I have not been emailed anything for a portal or that it is received. Everything is verified on SOPHAS though.

Undergraduate School: The University of Georgia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.61 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: Dietetics major, minor in culinary science and nutrition
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): V-158 (80th %) Q-155 (56th %) AW-4.5(81st%) (taken 10/7/19)

Experience/research:
Northside Hospital Cumming, GA
Food and Nutrition Internship May 2019- July 2019

Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities Athens, GA
Research Grant Recipient Spring 2019

Food and Nutrition Laboratory Athens, GA
Undergraduate research assistant August 2018- May 2019

Alpharetta Animal Hospital Alpharetta, GA
Veterinary Technician August 2014-August 2018

Alpha Gamma Delta Panhellenic Sorority Athens, GA
Director of Membership October 2018- Present
Philanthropy Event Dance Team Captain July 2018-Present
Director of Continuous Open Recruitment October 2017-October 2018

The University of Georgia University Council Athens, GA
University Council Representative for the College of Family and Consumer Sciences August 2018- May 2019

The University of Georgia Student Government Association Athens, GA
Senator for the College of Family and Consumer Sciences March 2018- March 2019

Campus Kitchens at UGA Athens, GA
Volunteer Culinary Shift Leader August 2018-January 201 9

Project FOCUS Athens, GA
Volunteer Science Teacher August 2017-January 2018

Letters of Rec: Dietetics advisor/professor, dietetics professor, and food and nutrition lab professor that I worked with

Interested in: Health promotions, behavioural science health education, sociomedical studies, nutrition

Applied: Yale- social and behavioural science (10/22), Emory- behavioural science and health education (10/17), Brown MPH (10/23), Columbia- Sociomedical sciences (10/23), BU- Health Communications and Promotion (10/22), NYU- Public health nutrition (10/23), GWU- Health promotion (12/4)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Last edited:
Just a few updates on my end:
1) The only school that has notified me that they've received my application was Columbia, which notified me and requested I visit and create an account with the Application Status Portal on 11/15 (I submitted my application on 11/13)

2) Columbia emailed me again on 11/18 to notify me that I was missing two letters of recommendation; these were later sent in and accepted by SOPHAS on 12/1 and 12/2 respectively.

3) I received an email from SOPAHS on 12/4 notifying me that my coursework had been verified

So that being said, Columbia's portal still lists my remaining two letters as missing despite SOPHAS having received them. I'm not sure if it takes some time or not for the letters to be sent to Columbia or not, but I hope that them receiving my application early enough still allows me to qualify as submitting before the priority deadline of 12/2... Anyone else in a similar situation?

P.S I also realized that my answers for the optional supplemental questions did not save in my application, so that section is all blank... Should I email their admissions email to ask if I could make a revision and add my answers to those questions? I know they're optional but I still would like the opportunity to answer them!

Just a few updates on my end:
1) The only school that has notified me that they've received my application was Columbia, which notified me and requested I visit and create an account with the Application Status Portal on 11/15 (I submitted my application on 11/13)

2) Columbia emailed me again on 11/18 to notify me that I was missing two letters of recommendation; these were later sent in and accepted by SOPHAS on 12/1 and 12/2 respectively.

3) I received an email from SOPAHS on 12/4 notifying me that my coursework had been verified

So that being said, Columbia's portal still lists my remaining two letters as missing despite SOPHAS having received them. I'm not sure if it takes some time or not for the letters to be sent to Columbia or not, but I hope that them receiving my application early enough still allows me to qualify as submitting before the priority deadline of 12/2... Anyone else in a similar situation?

P.S I also realized that my answers for the optional supplemental questions did not save in my application, so that section is all blank... Should I email their admissions email to ask if I could make a revision and add my answers to those questions? I know they're optional but I still would like the opportunity to answer them!

Definitely email them. I did something similar and they gave me the option to fill out the supplemental questions in the Columbia portal. It seems like a lot of people have had this issue on their application!.

Definitely email them. I did something similar and they gave me the option to fill out the supplemental questions in the Columbia portal. It seems like a lot of people have had this issue on their application!.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I just sent out my email to them now so I hope to hear back from them soon! I also asked about my letters of rec and how that may affect the priority deadline thing, so I hope they don't penalize me for that!!!

I need some feedback and to know if I'm totally screwed.

I just looked at my submitted application for Columbia and I realized that none of my additional question answers saved so it looks like I just didn't answer them. I just emailed Columbia explaining this and offering to email my responses so I'll see what they say.

Anyone else experience this? I hate SOPHAS so much right now.

you're not screwed -- a few people I know, including myself, did the same exact thing (the way they have it set up on SOPHAS is stupid)! when you get an email to set up your applicant portal for columbia, there's a section with the same supplemental questions there.

So I got an email from Harvard saying they received my application. I submitted on 12/1. Didn't say anything about creating a portal...will that follow?

So I got an email from Harvard saying they received my application. I submitted on 12/1. Didn't say anything about creating a portal...will that follow?

Same. Maybe you get the portal once it’s marked as complete, not just received?

Just unsure why others in my same track (social behavior) are getting portal emails while i'm not lol. everything is complete and verified on my end

Undergraduate School: small highly selective liberal arts school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.07/3.07 verified (had some various chronic health issues in spring semester junior year that tanked my gpa but i explained them on my applications)
Major/minor: multidisciplinary public health major with a biology minor
GRE(including date taken): V-150 (46th %) Q-154 (53rd %) AW-4.0 (57th%) (taken 10/18/19)

Experience/research:
- two and a half years as an EMT for my school's rescue squad and two ambulance agencies
- one and a half years as a lab instructor for EMT classes
- research on cardiovascular disease (paper under review)
- presenter at national collegiate EMS conference in 2019
- co-authored article on importance of simulation in EMS education & gave webinar presentation on it
- helped build simulated ambulance to be used for EMT education
- currently interning at county dept. of health working on connection between opioid overdose responses by first responders
- volunteered in emergency department at local hospital working with dr's and techs
- interned at medical examiner's office
- former president of org that provided free menstrual products on campus

Letters of Rec: president of my college who taught me in a global health seminar and is one of my advisers for my thesis, my major adviser/professor who has taught me in three classes and did research with, and my health economics professor

Interested in: healthcare management and policy (focusing in the management side) and certificate programs in chronic disease epi

Applied: Boston U (HCM), Brown, Columbia (HPM), Emory (HPM), Tufts (Health Services Management & Policy), UAlbany (HPM), UMaryland (HPM), Yale (HCM) (all applied on 11/20, all verified on 12/4)
Accepted: Pitt, Tufts, Brown, Emory, Yale, UMaryland, UAlbany, Boston U, Columbia
Rejected: none :)
Waitlisted: none :)
Attending: Yale!!

i've always browsed through these forums but i never posted and thought i would share :) good luck to everyone!!!

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: small highly selective liberal arts school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.07/3.07 verified (had some various chronic health issues in spring semester junior year that tanked my gpa but i explained them on my applications)
Major/minor: multidisciplinary public health major with a biology minor
GRE(including date taken): V-150 (46th %) Q-154 (53rd %) AW-4.0 (57th%) (taken 10/18/19)

Experience/research:
- two and a half years as an EMT for my school's rescue squad and two ambulance agencies
- one and a half years as a lab instructor for EMT classes
- research on cardiovascular disease (paper under review)
- presenter at national collegiate EMS conference in 2019
- co-authored article on importance of simulation in EMS education & gave webinar presentation on it
- helped build simulated ambulance to be used for EMT education
- currently interning at county dept. of health working on connection between opioid overdose responses by first responders
- volunteered in emergency department at local hospital working with dr's and techs
- interned at medical examiner's office
- former president of org that provided free menstrual products on campus

Letters of Rec: president of my college who taught me in a global health seminar and is one of my advisers for my thesis, my major adviser/professor who has taught me in three classes and did research with, and my health economics professor

Interested in: healthcare management and policy (focusing in the management side) and certificate programs in chronic disease epi

Applied: Boston U (HCM), Brown, Columbia (HPM), Emory (HPM), Tufts (Health Services Management & Policy), UAlbany (HPM), UMaryland (HPM), Pitt (HPM), Yale (HCM) (all applied on 11/20, all verified on 12/4)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

i've always browsed through these forums but i never posted and thought i would share :) good luck to everyone!!!
I think your experience is amazing! It tells a good story of who you are and where your passion lies. I wouldn't worry too much about your stats. Good luck!

Is there any leeway on schools that require a 500 word PS? What if you're 20-25 words over the limit? I've cut as much as I can out with my PS still having good quality....

Is there any leeway on schools that require a 500 word PS? What if you're 20-25 words over the limit? I've cut as much as I can out with my PS still having good quality....
stay within the limit. most of the time, the word limit guidance is there to let them know one thing: can you follow directions?

Reactions: 3 users
I spoke to the someone on the admissions committee and the JHU MSPH program and they said they are going to have decisions out before Christmas!

Reactions: 6 users
It’s been a realllly long time and I still haven’t heard back from GWU.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent Emory an email asking when they would retrieve applications from SOPHAS and if they would start reviewing before Christmas or after the new year and all I got was, “Review times may vary by departments. After applications are received and routed for review, 3-6 weeks should be allowed before receiving a decision.”

Super helpful.

This wait is killing me. I check my Email every 2 minutes lol. One acceptance before XMas would be a great gift.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on the interview invite for Dartmouth! I've applied to Cornell's new MPH program too! :) Which concentration are you interested in?
I applied for infectious disease epi. Which one are you interested in? I'm a senior at Cornell so I'm taking one of their intro courses and my experience with the professors and current MPH students has been great so far. They also said that the accreditation site visit a few weeks ago went really well so they should be on track to be CEPH-accredited in March.