MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think there's a chance schools will extend the commitment deadline since most of us haven't been able to visit schools? I just really want to attend a student day before making any definitive choices but I'm also worried that my time is running out.

You might be able to reach out to the schools and ask. However, I doubt that any admitted student days will be possible before the summer, which is likely too late for decisions to be made regarding where you'll be attending graduate schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To everyone panicking about the cancellation of the admitted student days, take advantage of the virtual events! I was hoping visiting Columbia would be the last thing before I committed there, and I was worried about committing with only the virtual information to go off of. I ended up finding the content they provided extremely helpful and informative and it made me feel more confident about my decision to attend. Also, don’t underestimate your gut instinct!!! Would love to chat with anyone else who will be attending Columbia in the fall!

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone already had success with appeals or is that something that will come down the line? Thinking it's gonna come down to GW and Yale for me, but really need more money even though I am grateful that they've both already given me some! So going to embark on the appeal process, but is it better to wait longer to appeal? Like perhaps as more people decline admissions to these schools it may open up more funding?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... events are being canceled left & right.... how bad is the corona virus outbreak in Southern California and NYC?

Wow... events are being canceled left & right.... how bad is the corona virus outbreak in Southern California and NYC?

I'm from SoCal and im in NYC currently (visited NYU)... At this point its mostly precautionary but both have seen case growth at worrisome levels.

Take the righT precautions and you should be alright.

I'm from SoCal and im in NYC currently (visited NYU)... At this point its mostly precautionary but both have seen case growth at worrisome levels.

Take the righT precautions and you should be alright.
You’re right. I mean how are they going to reduce the spread if they don’t cancel school/events. Just hope everything calms down before school in August/ September

I don't know if people have already talked about this, but has anyone tried leveraging their aid from one school to get more from another?

I don't know if people have already talked about this, but has anyone tried leveraging their aid from one school to get more from another?
Yes, but for merit scholarship. Got one school to double their merit offering ($15k -> $30k) in light of a slightly higher ranked school offering me merit ($18k was their merit cap). I just told them, "Hey I really like your school for reasons 1,2,3; however, school X is offering me a better merit offering which makes them more attractive to me at the moment. Is there a chance I could get my merit scholarship reconsidered?"

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone already had success with appeals or is that something that will come down the line? Thinking it's gonna come down to GW and Yale for me, but really need more money even though I am grateful that they've both already given me some! So going to embark on the appeal process, but is it better to wait longer to appeal? Like perhaps as more people decline admissions to these schools it may open up more funding?

I emailed Yale yesterday asking to appeal my financial aid, this is the response I received.

"Some of our peer schools do a second round of funding once they see who decides to attend, but here at YSPH we actually overcommit our aid, knowing not everyone will come. Although we have been unable to offer additional aid in past years I always keep a list of students who’ve inquired in case that should change. I’ve added your name to the list, but I also want to be upfront that we haven’t typically been able to offer additional money. I just want to make sure you have a realistic sense of what to expect from us- I would plan on the current scenario as the very likely one."

Reactions: 4 users
Y’all can still visit the school even if the admitted student day is canceled...there’s nothing you can’t see individually they just don’t want a room full of 100+ people, so no they’re probably not going to delay the commitment date because you’re still able to visit campus regardless of whether or not the admitted student day is taking place. Call and set up an individual tour or 1:1 meeting with whatever people/offices you want and go tour the campus.

Reactions: 5 users
Y’all can still visit the school even if the admitted student day is canceled...there’s nothing you can’t see individually they just don’t want a room full of 100+ people, so no they’re probably not going to delay the commitment date because you’re still able to visit campus regardless of whether or not the admitted student day is taking place. Call and set up an individual tour or 1:1 meeting with whatever people/offices you want and go tour the campus.
This right here. I have been able to do this for UCLA and Berkeley already. I sent an email to JHU a moment ago. Columbia hasn't canceled their ASD yet, but I imagine I will be sending a similar email to them in the near future.

Reach out to schools before doing this: I was planning on visiting Columbia next week after their admitted student day was cancelled and was told they aren’t accepting any outside visitors for class visits, tours, 1 on 1 appointments with faculty or admissions/financial aid for the time being.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surprisingly admitted to GW MHA from GW MPH Health Policy. It's a conditional offer as I have not taken an introductory accounting course, but if I complete that before matriculating I will now be set for the residential MHA program at GW. With that said, anyone have recommendations for an online introductory accounting course? Looking for something not insanely difficult and time consuming. Should I look at local CCs?

Reach out to schools before doing this: I was planning on visiting Columbia next week after their admitted student day was cancelled and was told they aren’t accepting any outside visitors for class visits, tours, 1 on 1 appointments with faculty or admissions/financial aid for the time being.

good point! ultimately you’re not making the decision based on sitting in on a class, so take a self-guided tour. You can also ask to be connected with current students to meet up with while you’re there if the school administration isn’t meeting with you.

we gotta make lemonade y’all.

Just accepted to USC which was the last school i was waiting for! They lost my GRE scores so it took a while. Officially accepted everywhere I applied (same thing happened to me for undergrad so i clearly need to give myself more credit - some advice for those applying next year, don’t doubt yourself!)

Reactions: 6 users
This right here. I have been able to do this for UCLA and Berkeley already. I sent an email to JHU a moment ago. Columbia hasn't canceled their ASD yet, but I imagine I will be sending a similar email to them in the near future.

JHU actually updated their guidelines regarding covid19 and “all tours, admissions events, and alumni events (on and off campus) are suspended” so I don’t think they will be allowing any campus tours or 1-on-1 appointments.

Also classes are canceled but they will soon resume as remote classes so ask if you could join on one of the remote classes taught online.

JHU actually updated their guidelines regarding covid19 and “all tours, admissions events, and alumni events (on and off campus) are suspended” so I don’t think they will be allowing any campus tours or 1-on-1 appointments.

Also classes are canceled but they will soon resume as remote classes so ask if you could join on one of the remote classes taught online.

I actually asked this to their department directly-- they gave me a call back a couple hours ago and said that 1-on-1 visits can possibly be arranged, appointments are up to the department you'd like to visit, and self-guided tours are a possibility. Of course, all contingent upon whether or not the whole campus is shut down or not.

yale just moved all of their classes online until april 5th...wonder what this means for the 3/30 and 4/6 admitted students days :/

I have yet to hear back from university of Michigan, Berkeley, ucla.
at this point i'm sure i am rejected or waitlisted, but i would like the courtesy of knowing that at least?

Yes, but for merit scholarship. Got one school to double their merit offering ($15k -> $30k) in light of a slightly higher ranked school offering me merit ($18k was their merit cap). I just told them, "Hey I really like your school for reasons 1,2,3; however, school X is offering me a better merit offering which makes them more attractive to me at the moment. Is there a chance I could get my merit scholarship reconsidered?"

can we mention the amount of aid we are getting from another school but no the type of aid ie. loans, merit etc.?

can we mention the amount of aid we are getting from another school but no the type of aid ie. loans, merit etc.?
Whenever I've asked for an appeal at a school, I've been asked to provide an official aid letter from the other competing school. In my experience, you can't be vague about the type of aid.

I have yet to hear back from university of Michigan, Berkeley, ucla.
at this point i'm sure i am rejected or waitlisted, but i would like the courtesy of knowing that at least?

UofM emailed me back saying they are still reviewing and a decision will be out in 4-5weeks? but thats right at the deadline for april 15!
should i press them again to hurry it up?

Do you name specifically name the institutions that gave you more aid in your letter? Or just say that you have offers for x amount of money from "other schools"?

Finally heard from Berkeley for Health Behavior late last night via email about the portal - no admission for me but had longboard crossed it off the list!

Hopkins admitted student day is cancelled, still going to baltimore to find a place to live though. Anyone else still traveling?

Yeah, my partner and I are still coming the 2nd-5th to look for somewhere to live as well. Hoping to look at gyms, co-working spaces, bikeable living from Hopkins etc.

I actually asked this to their department directly-- they gave me a call back a couple hours ago and said that 1-on-1 visits can possibly be arranged, appointments are up to the department you'd like to visit, and self-guided tours are a possibility. Of course, all contingent upon whether or not the whole campus is shut down or not.

The whole campus is not shutdown yet (well don't know about the Homewood campus but I work at the medical/east baltimore campus where SPH is located and it's still operational). Glad to know they're possibly making some exceptions. Hopefully you can still arrange a visit with the dept. Good luck!

When can we expect to learn if we got money from Hopkins? (I know a few people heard a long time ago about getting full rides...)

The whole campus is not shutdown yet (well don't know about the Homewood campus but I work at the medical/east baltimore campus where SPH is located and it's still operational). Glad to know they're possibly making some exceptions. Hopefully you can still arrange a visit with the dept. Good luck!

That's good to know the SPH is still operational! Did they give you a timeline on when 1 on 1 visits can be scheduled? I reached out as well, and was told they will welcome individual appointments later in April. I had a feeling that would be the case since the JHU spring break is next week and I'm not sure if some professors are working remotely.

When can we expect to learn if we got money from Hopkins? (I know a few people heard a long time ago about getting full rides...)
I think aid from JHU has historically come out around this time (this week/next week), but I'm not sure if the coronavirus would slow any of that down. I am so close to committing there but I really need a scholarship to make it affordable!

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

What happens if we accept a school? Are the other schools somehow notified?
Basically what I need to know is what if we have accepted at one place, then get notified of additional scholarships at another school so we want to change our mind?

yale just cancelled both admitted students days (3/30 and 4/6)

• Sad
What happens if we accept a school? Are the other schools somehow notified?
Basically what I need to know is what if we have accepted at one place, then get notified of additional scholarships at another school so we want to change our mind?
Pretty sure schools won't know unless you reject the offer of admission.

The music in my head as I wait for FinAid

Got my financial aid package from Emory... they're offering me 33k in loans per year and 5k annual REAL... no merit-based scholarship or need-based grants. I'm torn, as Emory is my number one choice, but do I really want to take out almost 70k in loans? The only other school I applied to was Georgia State and they don't give any scholarships out until at least your second semester, so I would have to take loans out there, as well.

Got my financial aid package from Emory... they're offering me 33k in loans per year and 5k annual REAL... no merit-based scholarship or need-based grants. I'm torn, as Emory is my number one choice, but do I really want to take out almost 70k in loans? The only other school I applied to was Georgia State and they don't give any scholarships out until at least your second semester, so I would have to take loans out there, as well.
I got the same package. Wouldn't you also need to take out additional loans on top of the stuff they offered to cover the difference? That was my understanding

I got the same package. Wouldn't you also need to take out additional loans on top of the stuff they offered to cover the difference? That was my understanding
Either take out other (private) loans or come up with the difference out of pocket. The difference for tuition is $1,000 a semester... but that doesn't include all the fees I'm sure they tack on, which may end up being another grand a semester. :/

Does anyone know much about Brown's program? I am currently deciding between Columbia and Brown. Columbia offers me 0 scholarships while Brown offers 25% off. :unsure: Any input will be appreciated.

Does anyone know much about Brown's program? I am currently deciding between Columbia and Brown. Columbia offers me 0 scholarships while Brown offers 25% off. :unsure: Any input will be appreciated.

Here are my two cents:
  • Think about which city you’d like to live in for 2 years: NYC or Providence? They’re very different! Where do you want to wind up after you get you degree? It’s helpful to get your degree in a city where you wouldn’t mind staying
  • 25% isn’t nothing, especially considering the cost of attendance at both schools. Cost of living in Providence is also lower.
  • Columbia is ranked higher than Brown and their program is, I believe, way more established, older, larger, etc.
What program is this for? (If you have it in your signature I cannot see it in mobile view)

Hello everyone ! I am down to deciding between committing to either UMN or Michigan for my MHA. I haven't seen much on UMN on here so any insight (for either) would be appreciated. I want to do consulting or go into administration (c-suite). Thanks!

Here are my two cents:
  • Think about which city you’d like to live in for 2 years: NYC or Providence? They’re very different! Where do you want to wind up after you get you degree? It’s helpful to get your degree in a city where you wouldn’t mind staying
  • 25% isn’t nothing, especially considering the cost of attendance at both schools. Cost of living in Providence is also lower.
  • Columbia is ranked higher than Brown and their program is, I believe, way more established, older, larger, etc.
What program is this for? (If you have it in your signature I cannot see it in mobile view)
Hmm, I think I prefer NYC because of the opportunities. I wish I can visit both schools before I decide. I was going to Admitted Student Day at Columbia last week but it was canceled because of coronavirus. Have you ever been to Providence? What is it like compared to NYC?

It is MPH Epidemiology at Columbia and MPH Generalist at Brown!

Hmm, I think I prefer NYC because of the opportunities. I wish I can visit both schools before I decide. I was going to Admitted Student Day at Columbia last week but it was canceled because of coronavirus. Have you ever been to Providence? What is it like compared to NYC?

Hi there I know this question wasn’t for me but I lived in providence for a while and go to school right outside of NYC. Providence is filled with college students (Brown, RISD, Johnson and Wales, Roger Williams, etc) and is MUCH MUCH smaller. I love providence because it’s much more historic feeling than most of NYC and has a cute little river going through it. The area that the public health building is in is super cute and right near RISD. Plus the Providence Place mall is extremely close. It was barely ever extremely crowded (minus nights where they have water fire which is when they do a show on the river involving fire) and is incredibly walkable. NYC is much busier, much bigger, but also has public transportation (providence has buses but everything is basically within walking distance). I am not overly familiar with Mailman’s location because it is not on columbia’s main campus, but NYC is just much much busier. It also probably offers more opportunities just because it’s NYC and there’s always things going on there so it’s basically impossible to be bored! Also definitely much more expensive to live in NYC. Hope some of this was helpful!

Did you submit other forms besides FAFSA?

Has anyone heard from Tufts regarding financial aid? I submitted the grad student aid app on the 28th, so I acknowledge it’s a bit soon.

Hope everyone is doing well! I’m also in a similar boat of trying to figure out if it’s worth traveling (to different schools, and I also had a vacation planned for spring break ).

Decided to stop playing games and commit to Emory :soexcited:I knew it was my top choice when I applied and its remained my top choice throughout the application process. Hopefully Visit Emory still happens so I can make some friends since I’m moving to Atlanta

Reactions: 7 users

I’ve been to both cities to visit (not live) and they’re so different it’s difficult to compare! Providence is SO tiny compared to NYC but it’s not far from Boston (where I went to college; a great public health city). I went on a nice summer day and had a great time walking around Brown’s campus.

I find NYC very fun but in short bursts - I’m not sure I could ever live there (maybe in Brooklyn?).

I actually almost applied to Brown but decided I wanted to only look at schools that let me keep working!

Has anyone heard from Tufts regarding financial aid? I submitted the grad student aid app on the 28th, so I acknowledge it’s a bit soon.

Hope everyone is doing well! I’m also in a similar boat of trying to figure out if it’s worth traveling (to different schools, and I also had a vacation planned for spring break ).

I'm also waiting to hear about financial aid, and I submitted mine mid-February. When I visited they said they rarely gave out scholarships, so it seems like it will just be loans though

Hi there I know this question wasn’t for me but I lived in providence for a while and go to school right outside of NYC. Providence is filled with college students (Brown, RISD, Johnson and Wales, Roger Williams, etc) and is MUCH MUCH smaller. I love providence because it’s much more historic feeling than most of NYC and has a cute little river going through it. The area that the public health building is in is super cute and right near RISD. Plus the Providence Place mall is extremely close. It was barely ever extremely crowded (minus nights where they have water fire which is when they do a show on the river involving fire) and is incredibly walkable. NYC is much busier, much bigger, but also has public transportation (providence has buses but everything is basically within walking distance). I am not overly familiar with Mailman’s location because it is not on columbia’s main campus, but NYC is just much much busier. It also probably offers more opportunities just because it’s NYC and there’s always things going on there so it’s basically impossible to be bored! Also definitely much more expensive to live in NYC. Hope some of this was helpful!
Thank you! :giggle: