MPH Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mspagli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've recently started researching MPH programs and was hoping for some advice. My GPA is lower, 2.8, so I'm anxious about applying. There are several programs that state a minimum of 3.0 needed..I will be taking the GRE next month. I'm also hoping to find an online program to complete the degree, I currently work full time and would like to continue doing so.

I have work experience with the developmentally disabled and have worked as a child protective services caseworker for the last year and a half, so my work experience can be made relevant. I've also taken two masters courses and received an A in both.

I was hoping to see if anyone had advice or suggestions for programs to look into based on my grades and experience. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A few points:

- With a low GPA, getting a decent GRE score will make applying much, much easier. If you look through the threads on this forum, you will see that there are many success stories from people with <3.0s OR <300 GREs, but few with both. Make the time to study.
- Taking more grad level courses will help your GPA. While schools will see your undergrad transcript, SOPHAS calculates an overall GPA as well. Whether or not the 3.0 cut off is for undergrad GPA or overall GPA may be school dependent.
- Online programs have higher acceptance rates but very low program completion rates. Be very sure that taking 3-4 grad level classes online while working fulltime is something you can handle before shelling out the tuition.

And a few questions:
- What area of public health are you interested in? Some fields (epi, biostat) may have higher admissions requirements than others (behavioral health, policy/admin) depending on the school.
- When do you want to begin your program? Some school's Fall 2017 deadlines have already passed while some will accept applications far into the spring.

Thank you for the quick response! I started browsing past threads about the topic and got some encouragement.

I definitely have an interest in epidemiology-I did decent on science courses early in college ranging B's- but I did notice they tend to be stricter for admissions. I also have an interest in the behavioral health aspect, which I think my work experience could better be attributed to. I'd like to aim to begin Fall 2017 if I'm able, if not I'll look into applying as soon as possible and taking non-degree courses in the meantime to help supplement.

Thank you again for the input!