MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read on last year's forum that Emory will let you know when they forward your application to the department you applied for. Anyone's application get forwarded yet, or know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Tufts will start letting people know? Or has anyone heard? I have a "4-6 weeks from mid-November" in an email from them, but we're past that timeline. Looking at last year's thread, it seems like people got acceptances in the last week of December. I applied in September and haven't heard and am clearly being super calm about it. o_O

I went through grad cafe, and the admission letter dates I could find fell on the following dates:

(01/11), (01/25), (02/03), (02/05), (02/09), (02/16)

There were a few early March ones too, but most in middle March were rejections! I hope this helps and you get an acceptance soon :)

I read on last year's forum that Emory will let you know when they forward your application to the department you applied for. Anyone's application get forwarded yet, or know if this is true?

I submitted 12/19 and still haven't gotten a confirmation email! From reading last year, Emory is super bad at communication, with some people going to OPUS on a whim and making an account only to discover an acceptance letter had been there for several days. I also saw people who emailed admissions about it and they were able to submit 2 other possible concentrations so you could try that too :) Hope this helps and you get an acceptance soon!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrat!!! I applied for Global Health Policy, and I haven't heard back yet but our Timelines are pretty much the same. I'm so worried now! lol
What were your stats?

Thanks! Here are my stats:
GPA: SOPHAS: 3.4 (Upper Division 3.99); Major GPA 3.97
GRE: 159Q (73rd percentile), 164V (94th percentile), Writing: 5.5 (98th percentile)

I'm sure there is nothing to worry about and you'll hear soon!

Last edited:
Anyone know when UIC will start sending out acceptance information? Having a hard time finding solid info on that timeline...

Undergrad School: Ivy, graduated in May
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.85
Major/Minor: Sociology
GRE (including date taken): 167V / 160Q / 5W

Experience/Research (please, be brief):

-Internship in international WHO office, 6 months
-founder nonprofit
-research fellowship, 4 months
-3 years during uni of public health work, 15 hours per week
-2 posters, 1 paper (coauthor)

Interested in:
Applied: Harvard SM Global Health, NYU PhD public health, Columbia Popfam, GW, BU, Yale, LSHTM, LSE

Accepted:

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

what is everyone's opinion? my weakness is I just graduated in May, so don't have "full time experience". my top choices are harvard and columbia, but I've heard they are extremely difficult to get into. For NYU, I wasn't sure if I wanted a phd or masters, so I'm hoping they could transfer the application to the masters admissions if i dont get in for the phd.

The My.Harvard portal was saying my decision was not ready this morning, but now it just goes to the course catalog for all of Harvard. Anyone know if this is a bad sign? I applied for a Masters in Health Policy in December.

The My.Harvard portal was saying my decision was not ready this morning, but now it just goes to the course catalog for all of Harvard. Anyone know if this is a bad sign? I applied for a Masters in Health Policy in December.

Same thing on my end. Was not ready as of yesterday and now just goes straight to a Harvard Course Catalog.

Probably just a website issue/update, because their site states: "The School’s Admissions Office begins to send admission decisions in the middle of February. However, not all decisions are sent at this time because departments and the Committee on Admissions and Degrees may not yet have completed their review of all applications. Notifying applicants of our decision is a top priority, and we attempt to get our admissions decisions out to applicants as quickly as possible."

Accepted to George Washington for Global Health Epi and Disease Control! I submitted (12/19), verified (12/27), complete email on (01/03), and was accepted today (01/11) :)

Reactions: 3 users
Undergrad School: Ivy, graduated in May
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.85
Major/Minor: Sociology
GRE (including date taken): 167V / 160Q / 5W

-Internship in international WHO office, 6 months
-founder nonprofit
-research fellowship, 4 months
-3 years during uni of public health work, 15 hours per week
-2 posters, 1 paper (coauthor)

Interested in:
Applied:
Harvard SM Global Health, NYU PhD public health, Columbia Popfam, GW, BU, Yale, LSHTM, LSE

Accepted:

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

what is everyone's opinion? my weakness is I just graduated in May, so don't have "full time experience". my top choices are harvard and columbia, but I've heard they are extremely difficult to get into. For NYU, I wasn't sure if I wanted a phd or masters, so I'm hoping they could transfer the application to the masters admissions if i dont get in for the phd.

I think your chance of getting into Columbia is high. Graduating the same year that you plan on starting your MPH there will not hurt you. It possibly would for HPM, but that's not the department you're applying to. Your work experience is great! Good stats alone will not get you into Columbia, which frustrated a lot of people last year who lacked valuable experience.

Just got an interview for UPenn! Can anyone tell me how there's went?? Also I didnt know that was a part of the process hah

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know when UIC will start sending out acceptance information? Having a hard time finding solid info on that timeline...

I wasn't able to find a lot unfortunately, but the dates I found through last years thread + grad cafe are these:

(02/18), (02/23), (02/25), (02/29), (03/04), (04/02)

Hope this helps and you get accepted soon! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: UC San Diego
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 but 3.6 sophas (graduated in 3 years but first two years I was premed)
Major/Minor: Third World Studies working on a Biostatistics certificate
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:154 Q:162 AW:4
  • 2 quarters (UCSD is quarter system) at Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation as a development intern
  • 2 years leading church homeless outreach team
  • 1 year volunteer at a hospital outpatient unit
  • 1 year as the marketing officer for campus org called Siblings without Borders
  • 1.5 years as an international ministries intern organizing free clinics and fundraisers all over East Asia
  • 1.5 years as the programs manager of an education startup in China
  • currently working at a maternal and child health research study as a research data assistant

Interested in: Global Maternal and Child Health, minority health, and refugee health
Applied: will apply to SDSU- epi and maybe other online schools
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

any thoughts on my chances?

*BUMP* I would really appreciate some insight

Does anyone know when Tufts will start letting people know? Or has anyone heard? I have a "4-6 weeks from mid-November" in an email from them, but we're past that timeline. Looking at last year's thread, it seems like people got acceptances in the last week of December. I applied in September and haven't heard and am clearly being super calm about it. o_O

Well my impatience has come to an end. Got accepted just now!

Well my impatience has come to an end. Got accepted just now!
Hey wwmmkk, congrats! I just received an email notification as well, but didn't see any decision letter in the link. Did you find out that way?
(edit: I applied to the MPH/MS Nutrition program which might be different from yours)

Hey wwmmkk, congrats! I just received an email notification as well, but didn't see any decision letter in the link. Did you find out that way?
Follow the link in the email and use the PIN they sent you to make an account on their site. Then click the prompt to see updates, and your letter will be there. Good luck!

Follow the link in the email and use the PIN they sent you to make an account on their site. Then click the prompt to see updates, and your letter will be there. Good luck!
whew! thanks, accepted as well! clicked the wrong tab initially :)

*BUMP* I would really appreciate some insight

I think it really depends on the programs you plan on applying to, but I think you have a good chance at a majority of programs! You went to a strong undergrad so your lower side GPA would not be something to worry about, graduating in 3 years is really impressive, your GRE scores are great, and your experiences definitely make you well rounded! I'm applying to Global Health programs also, so feel free to look at my stats and see where I applied :) Not sure if you are interested in online programs only, but I know a lot of schools offer it!

I'm 99% happy for you guys that are receiving decisions and 1% :vamp:

I think it really depends on the programs you plan on applying to, but I think you have a good chance at a majority of programs! You went to a strong undergrad so your lower side GPA would not be something to worry about, graduating in 3 years is really impressive, your GRE scores are great, and your experiences definitely make you well rounded! I'm applying to Global Health programs also, so feel free to look at my stats and see where I applied :) Not sure if you are interested in online programs only, but I know a lot of schools offer it!

I am only applying to SDSU because I live in san diego but I'm just a little nervous having all my eggs in one basket and banking on getting in. D:

Just got an interview for UPenn! Can anyone tell me how there's went?? Also I didnt know that was a part of the process hah

Super relaxed! It's conversational based and Monique and Moriah are super nice. My experience was a little different though because I have been having meetings with Moriah and Monique every time I visited philly, so it was just us catching up and the basic questions of "why public health" and "we want to know your future goals". There's nothing to prepare for, no stress!

I found out I got accepted two days later.

My experience with the Penn interview was the same. Fundamental question was why as noted above.

I would note I interviewed a week ago and haven't heard back, which is making me somewhat nervous, though she did say with the holidays it could be up to 2 weeks before I hear back.

Undergrad School: UCLA, UC Boulder
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7, both
Major/Minor: Political Science, Microbiology/Psychology
GRE (including date taken): 156 Q, 168 V, 4.0 AW
Experience/Research
- Worked this year as an assistant operations manager for a small non-profit in Haiti
- Some pretty gnarly life history stuff.

LOR: Two professors, and current ED.
Special Factor: All the programs I've applied to were duals except for GW: MSW/MPH at Wash U, MPA/MPH at NYU, and MPH/MSW at Columbia

Interested in: Management, operations and logistics.

Applied: Washington University (Brown School), New York University, Columbia, George Washington (Milkin)
Accepted: Washington University with $45k scholarship, George Washington
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School: University of Minnesota - Morris (small liberal arts school)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.42 (sophomore year was rough)
Major/Minor: Biology/Statistics
GRE (including date taken): 158 Q, 157 V, 4.0 AW
Experience/Research
-3 years research experience studying medical costs associated with OSA in truck drivers
-3 + years of STATA and R studio experience
-Presented research in multiple conferences (national and at my university)
-Spent summer 2016 studying the effects of blowfly parasitism on eastern bluebirds and tree swallow nestlings
-Lots of volunteering in hospitals (previously was premed)

LOR: Biology professor/advisor, Statistics professor/boss, neuropathologist at Abbott Northwestern Hospital who I mentored under and has provided me with lots of guidance.
Special Factor: I'm a first generation college student that immigrated from Crimea :).

Interested in: Infectious Disease Epidemiology

Applied: UCLA, University of Maryland - College Park, University of Minnesota, George Washington, Tulane, Emory, Yale, Johns Hopkins (all Epidemiology programs other than Yale which was Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases).
Accepted: University of Minnesota (12/14), Tulane (12/8), University of Maryland (1/6), George Washington (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Super relaxed! It's conversational based and Monique and Moriah are super nice. My experience was a little different though because I have been having meetings with Moriah and Monique every time I visited philly, so it was just us catching up and the basic questions of "why public health" and "we want to know your future goals". There's nothing to prepare for, no stress!

I found out I got accepted two days later.

Wow, congrats! I received an email last week that my application was complete and was forwarded for review by Monique; so does that mean the adcomm is undecided and Monique/Moriah have the final say?

I also read that the application gets forwarded, but I thought it's only forwaded if the applicant is not accepted into the 1st choice program. I'm still waiting for further notices

Wow, congrats! I received an email last week that my application was complete and was forwarded for review by Monique; so does that mean the adcomm is undecided and Monique/Moriah have the final say?

Thanks! And they're just the admission recruiters that get to know us more than the admissions committee does, so they relay the interview information to the team and negotiate from there I assume. My interview was dec 19th and I found out the 21st. I was quite surprised since they said it would be after the holidays to find out. It's okay to not hear back for a little while because I think they're going full swing with the application process now with reviewing and accepting. I spoke with Monique the day they got back from break last week, and she's been saying it's been super hectic and that they're just now beginning to accept a lot more people. Admitted student day is sometime in early March, so for sure you'll find out super soon!

Undergrad School: University of Minnesota - Morris (small liberal arts school)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.42 (sophomore year was rough)
Major/Minor: Biology/Statistics
GRE (including date taken): 158 Q, 157 V, 4.0 AW
Experience/Research
-3 years research experience studying medical costs associated with OSA in truck drivers
-3 + years of STATA and R studio experience
-Presented research in multiple conferences (national and at my university)
-Spent summer 2016 studying the effects of blowfly parasitism on eastern bluebirds and tree swallow nestlings
-Lots of volunteering in hospitals (previously was premed)

LOR: Biology professor/advisor, Statistics professor/boss, neuropathologist at Abbott Northwestern Hospital who I mentored under and has provided me with lots of guidance.
Special Factor: I'm a first generation college student that immigrated from Crimea :).

Interested in: Infectious Disease Epidemiology

Applied: UCLA, University of Maryland, University of Minnesota, George Washington, Tulane, Emory, Yale, Johns Hopkins
Accepted: University of Minnesota (12/14), Tulane (12/8), University of Maryland (1/6), George Washington (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

When did you apply for UMD? Also, the College Park or Baltimore campus? In Epi?

Got into Tufts yesterday and just got an email for an interview with Dartmouth! Hopefully everyone else is getting good news this week :)

Undergrad School: DePauw University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.06 (varsity swimmer all 4 years takes a lot out of you..) Health Science GPA: 3.43; Public Health GPA: 3.3; lower GPA: 3.01; upper GPA: 3.11
Major/Minor: Psychology/Education
GRE (including date taken): 151 Q, 150 V, 4.5 AW
Undergrad experience/research
- Currently serving a year with AmeriCorps as a nutrition/cooking teacher for second grade students and developmentally disabled community members
- Senior thesis research on psychosocial benefits of a camp experience for youth with cancer
- Lots of volunteer experiences:
- Camp Quality - camp for youth with cancer
- Children's Hospital
- Special needs cooking classes
- Special Olympics swim coach
- Running club assistant coach
- Campus experience:
- Student government senator (freshman, sophomore)
- Varsity Swimming (all 4 years)

Special Factor: Mom has associates degree, dad never graduated; first child to pursue masters level education

Interested in: Health Behavior Health Education/Social Behavioral Health

Applied: University of Michigan (1/9), Indiana University - Bloomington (1/4- but missing pieces, got an email 1/12 that it was in review), Wayne State University (M.Ed Community Heath Ed)
Accepted: Wayne State (M.Ed Community Heath Ed), IU Bloomington (1/13)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Wanting to know what other peoples timelines were for these two schools, and thoughts on me as an applicant for them?!!!!
Good luck everyone! :highfive:

Last edited:
Just got an email from Yale HPM requesting my grades for Fall quarter so they can make a final decision.

This is bad news. I got a C last quarter in biochemistry (though my other grades were A, A-, and B+ for what that's worth).

Still, I think that my ship just sank. (though I'm obviously praying it hasn't. Yale is one of my top choices)

Just got an email from Yale HPM requesting my grades for Fall quarter so they can make a final decision.

This is bad news. I got a C last quarter in biochemistry (though my other grades were A, A-, and B+ for what that's worth).

Still, I think that my ship just sank. (though I'm obviously praying it hasn't. Yale is one of my top choices)

I am thinking about writing a letter to accompany my transcript from fall quarter highlighting some of my academic strengths. Do you guys think this is a decent idea or is it too out there?

Thanks! And they're just the admission recruiters that get to know us more than the admissions committee does, so they relay the interview information to the team and negotiate from there I assume. My interview was dec 19th and I found out the 21st. I was quite surprised since they said it would be after the holidays to find out. It's okay to not hear back for a little while because I think they're going full swing with the application process now with reviewing and accepting. I spoke with Monique the day they got back from break last week, and she's been saying it's been super hectic and that they're just now beginning to accept a lot more people. Admitted student day is sometime in early March, so for sure you'll find out super soon!

Interesting, ok! I just chose my interview date today...and am deciding to fly over for it

But they're showing interest!! Best of luck to you

But they're showing interest!! Best of luck to you

That's true. I suppose every cloud does have a silver lining.

What do you think of my idea of writing a letter to accompany my transcript from fall quarter highlighting some of my academic strengths. Do you think this is a decent idea or is it too out there?

Interesting, ok! I just chose my interview date today...and am deciding to fly over for it

Flying isn't necessary! I did mine over skype. It's only 20-30 min long! Mine was about 20 minutes. If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

Interviewing with Penn tomorrow! Prayers and good vibes appreciated :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted into University of Minnesota! Elated. One of my top two choices. Does anyone here know when they inform about financial aid, for people who applied by Dec 1 priority deadline?

Reactions: 7 users
Undergrad School: DePauw University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.06 (varsity swimmer all 4 years takes a lot out of you..) Health Science GPA: 3.43; Public Health GPA: 3.3; lower GPA: 3.01; upper GPA: 3.11
Major/Minor: Psychology/Education
GRE (including date taken): 151 Q, 150 V, 4.5 AW
Undergrad experience/research
- Currently serving a year with AmeriCorps as a nutrition/cooking teacher for second grade students and developmentally disabled community members
- Senior thesis research on psychosocial benefits of a camp experience for youth with cancer
- Lots of volunteer experiences:
- Camp Quality - camp for youth with cancer
- Children's Hospital
- Special needs cooking classes
- Special Olympics swim coach
- Running club assistant coach
- Campus experience:
- Student government senator (freshman, sophomore)
- Varsity Swimming (all 4 years)

Special Factor: Mom has associates degree, dad never graduated; first child to pursue masters level education

Interested in: Health Behavior Health Education/Social Behavioral Health

Applied: University of Michigan, Indiana University - Bloomington, Wayne State University (M.Ed Community Heath Ed)
Accepted: Wayne State (M.Ed Community Heath Ed)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Wanting to know what other peoples timelines were for these two schools, and thoughts on me as an applicant for them?!!!!
Good luck everyone! :highfive:

Hey fellow Bloomington-applier!

I submitted that app around Dec 1st, and heard back on the 20th. Lemme know when you hear back!! Do you know how they do things with scholarships and/or aid? I poked around the website, but couldn't find much!!

Just got accepted into University of Minnesota! Elated. One of my top two choices. Does anyone here know when they inform about financial aid, for people who applied by Dec 1 priority deadline?
They inform about scholarships mid February. They will send out the full financial aid package with your loans and all that in July. Which concentration did you get accepted into?

When did you apply for UMD? Also, the College Park or Baltimore campus? In Epi?

I applied for UMD - College Park campus on Nov 28th! Yeah it was for epi! :)

They inform about scholarships mid February. They will send out the full financial aid package with your loans and all that in July. Which concentration did you get accepted into?

Great! I got into Public Health Administration and Policy. Applied 11/18, verified & completed on 11/30. Was a close call to the Dec 1 deadline.

I applied for UMD - College Park campus on Nov 28th! Yeah it was for epi! :)

Fantastic! I just received my acceptance as well. I'm in-state so it's an affordable and appealing option -especially since we haven't received financial aid back from other schools yet!

The wait for Hopkins' decision (MPH) is killing me. I submitted my application on 11/23 and still no reply. I'm worried that I'm one of those rejections since they took too long.

Last edited: