MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Opinion Time! Do you think that having to participate in a phone interview puts one at a disadvantage (especially compared to a candidate that is able to do an interview in-person?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Opinion Time! Do you think that having to participate in a phone interview puts one at a disadvantage (especially compared to a candidate that is able to do an interview in-person?)

Definitely do in person if you can. They appreciate your time and it makes you stand out from other candidates. At one interview I had, they stated it was a great decision to come in person so they can get an idea of what kind of person I am, and it may help in financial aid as well. So do in person interviews if you can!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I think (and hope!) that it would be grossly unfair for schools to hold in-person interviews to a higher standard than phone interviews. I'm sure that schools are quite understanding of students who are unable to be available in person given that there are so many international students or domestic students who are located very far also applying to these programs. I, personally, would not worry.

PSA: don't forget to ask for travel grants to schools you are interested in visiting, but may not have the financial means to do so without assistance. Last year, I sent a short email to Columbia inquiring about a travel grant. They ended up paying for my airfare from Florida.

Reactions: 2 users
PSA: don't forget to ask for travel grants to schools you are interested in visiting, but may not have the financial means to do so without assistance. Last year, I sent a short email to Columbia inquiring about a travel grant. They ended up paying for my airfare from Florida.

Is it best to ask for travel grants before receiving admission or after?

Has anyone who's been accepted to Hopkins been offered aid yet? Trying to figure out if I'm just not getting anything from them or if the offers haven't been made.

They usually don't award scholarships/fellowships until February. Don't worry, you're not the only person anxiously waiting :)

Well, for what it's worth, I just got accepted into the MHS in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology program at Johns Hopkins. (I know, it's not exactly an MPH, but it falls under the school of public health lol)

Acceptance email said departmental scholarships are only available to PhD candidates but did say I should apply for financial aid. Given the program costs 50K tuition + living and I wasn't supremely interested in it to begin with, I'm pretty much ruling it out unless the financial aid office makes me an unexpectedly solid offer.
Hey @DecisionTime2017 don't forget to take this into account:

MASTER’S TUITION SCHOLARSHIP

Some departments offer a Master’s Tuition Scholarship (MTS) to students in good academic standing pursuing their second year of study in a two-year master’s program. The scholarship provides a 75% discount in the second year’s tuition. Contact your program of interest for information regarding MTS eligibility.

I've also heard from a friend who does not attend GWU that they require the practicum/fieldwork experience to be unpaid. Most other schools allow you to do your fieldwork at any place, paid or unpaid, so long as it fulfills their requirements. Take this info with a grain of salt since it is just hearsay from someone who doesn't attend the school and merely applied there. With the above info, I personally am not likely to consider GWU. However, I would encourage anyone who's concerned about this info to reach out to current students and see what the real story is.

I currently attend GW for my MPH and wanted to address these points because I don't want people to be deterred from a great program. First, we are definitely allowed (and encouraged) to apply to paid practicum sites, at least in the epi-biostats department, and I would assume the others. We aren't allowed, as I think most schools don't, to use our current job as a practicum site unless we're taking on a new responsibility that fulfills the requirements which may be what your friend heard.

Addressing scholarships, that email basically was saying "we gave away all of our scholarship money, there may be more money after the deadline from people who decline their seat and scholarship. take your chances." Our financial aid officer is very helpful and has spent time on the phone with me many times helping me understand the process and where I can find additional assistance. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth it to choose a higher ranked program if it costs a lot more. I was accepted to GWU and that program would cost $67,000 plus living costs, which is ranked #14. My other option is the University of Iowa, which would cost around $30,000 plus any financial aid I might get (they don't send those until March), which is ranked #17. I also applied to Emory but haven't heard back, though that would cost a ton between tuition and living expenses. I went to Iowa for my undergrad and loved my experience there, but if it's worth it to go to a more well known school, would it be worth the extra debt? Really stuck right now. :/

Message me, I had a very similar experience last year when I was making my decision :)

Is it best to ask for travel grants before receiving admission or after?
I requested the grant after the offer of admission for the purpose of attending Admitted Students' Day. I'm not sure if that's the norm :/. Perhaps they are more willing to give that money to an admitted student versus someone whose application is still under review, though.

Was invited to interview with University of Michigan's HPM program earlier this week. I'll be definitively withdrawing from all other schools this week in favor of Hopkins full-time MPH.

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys!
This thread has literally been giving me a piece of mind since it began, so I though I would share my own results/stats.
Undergrad School: Tulane University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7 (SOPHAS)
Major/Minor: BSPH in Public Health
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE August 2015. 152V 152Q 4W (yikes I know)
Experience/research
10 weeks international research in Guatemala
Independent study in Iron deficiency in Central America
Independent Study in Lassa and Ebola Fevers
Peer educator for three years
Shadowed infection control team at a local hospital
Worked at a local clinic

Special factors???

Interested in: Epidemiology, specifically Chronic Disease
Applied: Tulane University (accelerated program which i applied to in my junior year), UTH (epi), Yale (MPH CDE), LSU (MPH epi). All were verified by 11/15, except LSU.
Accepted: Tulane, UTH, Yale (Today yay!)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Reactions: 3 users
Did you guys write your name in your personal statement document before the essay started? Or just put your name in the file's name?

Does anyone have experience with a course that they had "in progress" and now have a grade for it? I want to let schools know I received an A in a public health course that I just took. Should I go through schools separately, or through SOPHAS since it will boost my GPA?

Thanks

I’m a long time lurker and first time poster. Ha!

Undergrad School: Large state university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6 (rough start, with tons of science courses)/ 3.9
Major/Minor: Anthropology/History
Grad School: Top 10 school within my field
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): Clinical Social Work with a concentration in Health
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): N/A – waived, since I have an advanced degree and experience
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

7+ years of advanced practice experience in a variety of public health settings (i.e. academic medical centers, managed care organizations, public health departments, community health centers and community mental health centers). Roles include: social work consultant; clinical supervisor; behavioral health care manager; crisis clinician; outpatient therapist; health educator; and project coordinator.

Experience teaching a graduate course in diversity and cross cultural issues at a top 10 school of social work.

Social work representative for a substance abuse committee for a DPH facility.

Developed a tool to assess/monitor narcotic prescribing practices to inform addiction recovery/overdose prevention/discharge planning for a DPH facility.

Studied abroad in Romania during grad school, focusing on health-related issues and "safe spaces" for LGBTQ Romanians.

Special factors??? African American; LGBTQ; independently-licensed social worker; strong personal statement; strong LORs...???

Interested in: health care management, delivery, and policy; social justice driven care; social innovation; and medical-behavioral comorbidities, especially in regards to addiction.
Applied: John Hopkins (part-time/online MPH), 12/01/16; Dartmouth (part-time/online MPH), 01/26/17
Accepted: John Hopkins + $, 02/21/17; Dartmouth + $$$, 03/22/17
Rejected:N/A
Attending: Dartmouth :cool:

Last edited:
Did you guys write your name in your personal statement document before the essay started? Or just put your name in the file's name?

I made a header.

[Name]
Personal Statement for Admission to [School]
[Department]
Fall 2017 Masters in Public Health

Can you tell I'm a high school teacher? :p I have no idea how ad coms work, but I picture a few people going through stacks of printed out essays at a big conference table, and I figure all the identifying information could only help.

Does anyone have experience with a course that they had "in progress" and now have a grade for it? I want to let schools know I received an A in a public health course that I just took. Should I go through schools separately, or through SOPHAS since it will boost my GPA?

Thanks

I finished a course after I submitted and called the school about what they would like. The school I applied to told me to submit the transcript for the school with the now completed course(s) to them directly and they will include it in my application. I also updated it on SOPHAS, but it obviously shows unverified. I'd call the school and ask them. SOPHAS says a common practice is what my school has me doing. The academic update window is currently not open for SOPHAS.

Thanks
I just did this myself (also got an A from a class at BU- go us!). I spoke to each school individually and they all had unique responses- Columbia requested that I email an updated transcript directly to the admissions department, Tufts requested that BU sends the transcript directly to tufts admissions department and BU was just able to upload it directly from their system. I would talk to each school individually :)

Undergrad School: Top 5 private liberal arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
3.68 (SOPHAS verified gpa)
Major/Minor: Econ/Math
GRE:
165 V/ 164 Q/ 5.0

Experience/Research: By Fall 2017
2 years as a research assistant in healthcare ecnomics at ivy league, head analyst on a paper published in NEJM
Co-authoring work to be published in top economics journal

Interested in: MPH and MBA, Health Policy and Management Programs
Applied: MPH/MBA: UCLA, Columbia, Dartmouth, Just MPH: Harvard, Yale (note I submitted all apps quite late around Dec. 25th
Accepted:
Rejected:
Wait-listed:

Interviewed: Columbia, 12/28

For late submitters like me, seems as if the turnaround will be mid/late February.
Edit: Has anyone who applied to the Health Management program at Harvard gotten some sort of confirmation email? Heard back from everywhere else but them

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Edit: Has anyone who applied to the Health Management program at Harvard gotten some sort of confirmation email? Heard back from everywhere else but them

Yes, but I applied quite early (October).

Long time lurker here, thanks again for making this thread and good luck to everyone! These are my stats in case anyone is in a similar boat/has feedback:

Undergrad School: Northeastern University (Boston, MA)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.44
Major/Minor: Biology/Psychology
GRE: (08/18/2016): Quant
(157/67th percentile) Qual (158/80th percentile) AW (5/93rd percentile)

1. Health Management full time internship 6 months at Orthopedic Hospital in Boston, MA
2. Research/Clinical/Public Health full time internship 6 months in Dublin, Ireland working with cancer research/patients, as well as with HIV/AIDS communities
3. Study abroad in London for 6 months, worked with counseling psychology professor on pro bono type work
4. Two public health based mission trips to Belize
5. Order of Omega Honor Society
6. Social sorority

LOR:
1 from department head, 1 from professor, 3 from internship supervisors
Special factors??? Hispanic woman

Interested in: Global Health, Maternal/Child Health
Applied:
Brown University (12/19), Boston University (12/19), Colorado SPH (12/19), Yale (12/19), Emory (12/19), George Washington (12/19), NYU (01/05), Columbia (01/05)

Accepted: GWU (01/11)
Rejected: TBD
Waitlisted: TBD

Most of these/if not all are for sure reach schools, but would appreciate any feedback or stories of anyone in a similar situation :) Also any advice for applying to international programs (looking at University of Edinburgh) would be so appreciated!

Last edited:
I have been accepted by UPENN and Emory and I have an interview at Hopkins in a few weeks. Waiting to see how that goes!

Reactions: 5 users
I think I forgot to put it on this thread, but I got my acceptance from Hopkins on 12/30 and I heard from IU Bloomington on 12/20. Waiting on 8 more schools... (went a bit overboard in applying!).

I have been accepted by UPENN and Emory and I have an interview at Hopkins in a few weeks. Waiting to see how that goes!

When did you apply and when did you hear back from Emory?

Interested in: Health Policy & Management
Applied: Columbia (1/6/17), BU (12/12), GW (12/12), UAB (12/12), Emory (12/12), Tulane (12/12)
Accepted: GW, UAB, Tulane
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone know my chances at Columbia? I almost didn't apply for lack of years of experience. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Did anyone submit an application to Emory (12/19) and get no email confirmation back? I remember reading from last years thread that they are finicky with communication I just wanted to make sure I was not alone!!

Accepted into Tulane (Health Education and Comm.)! Only two days after they notified me that my app was in the dept. for review :soexcited:

Last edited:
I just got accepted to Johns Hopkins!!

Right now Im torn between BU (won't have to spend money on moving since im already here) and JHUSP (amazing reputation + 11 month program).

Any thoughts on if the debt is worth it to get a degree from JHUSP?

Right now Im torn between BU (won't have to spend money on moving since im already here) and JHUSP (amazing reputation + 11 month program).

Both are good schools, but Hopkins will open some more doors for employment, internships, and earning potential, and the JHU brand name will create opportunities for you outside of PH, if you ever have any. Unless BU debt is significantly less, Hopkins hands down.

How much of a debt difference is there?

How much of a debt difference is there?

Not too much maybe around 5-10k and it would just be easier to continue living in the Boston area vs spending an extra couple thousand dollars to relocate, etc. but JHU's reputation seems worth it?

Both are good schools, but Hopkins will open some more doors for employment, internships, and earning potential, and the JHU brand name will create opportunities for you outside of PH, if you ever have any. Unless BU debt is significantly less, Hopkins hands down.

Thank you- totally needed that reassurance

Not too much maybe around 5-10k and it would just be easier to continue living in the Boston area vs spending an extra couple thousand dollars to relocate, etc. but JHU's reputation seems worth it?

My friend, obviously every situation is different, but if I were in your shoes, there would be no contest. I'd go Hopkins all the way.

A little bit of courage now could be very rewarding in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions regarding Yale's financial aid. (Answers from those who are currently attending Yale would be awesome sauce)
Would financial aid for their MPH program be similar to undergraduate financial aid, where if you make below $65,000 your cost of attendance is basically covered?
I would really love to go to Yale since I've been accepted, however it's rather costly and I don't know how good their financial aid is.
Thanks in advance!

Did anyone submit an application to Emory (12/19) and get no email confirmation back? I remember reading from last years thread that they are finicky with communication I just wanted to make sure I was not alone!!

I submitted on 10/12 and only got an email on 11/8 saying my application had been received. It seems like they're just taking their time, you aren't alone!

I submitted on 10/12 and only got an email on 11/8 saying my application had been received. It seems like they're just taking their time, you aren't alone!

Thanks a million! :)

Undergrad School: Large state school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.66
Major/Minor: Biology, Ecology double major
GRE (including date taken): 159V / 164Q / 4.0W (August 2011)

-REU internship research on phylogenetics/taxonomy; senior thesis based on research
-1 year undergrad research on invertebrate population genetics; first author on paper
-1 month volunteer research on ecology of infectious disease on coral bleaching
-2 years research on ocean acidification studies geared toward informing environmental policy
-2 years as lab technician working in clinical genetics, 1.5 years of which in R&D

Interested in: Epidemiology

Applied: Emory MSPH (12/21), JHSPH MHS (12/21)

Accepted: Emory (2/14), JHSPH (2/17)

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

I decided on public health a little late in the game, but I've always had a strong interest in genetics so hopefully my experience reflects that. Although I think my LORs and personal statement are strong, I don't know exactly how to feel about my chances of getting into either school.

I've barely seen any posts about people going for genetic epi but would love to hear more about the backgrounds/programs! General feedback is welcome, otherwise I'm wishing everyone luck in the meantime :)

Last edited:
GRE (including date taken): 159V / 161Q / 4.0W (08/2011)

-REU internship research on phylogenetics/taxonomy; senior thesis based on research
-1 year undergrad research on invertebrate population genetics; first author on paper
-2 years research on ocean acidification studies geared toward informing environmental policy
-2 years as lab technician working in clinical genetics, 1.5 years of which in research and development

Interested in: (Genetic) Epidemiology

Accepted:

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

I decided on public health a little late in the game, but I've always had a strong interest in genetics so hopefully my experience reflects that. Although I think my LORs and personal statement are strong, I don't know exactly how to feel about my chances of getting into either school.

I've barely seen any posts about people going for genetic epi but would love to hear more about the backgrounds/programs! General feedback is welcome, otherwise I'm wishing everyone luck in the meantime :)

You're very competitive for both programs you applied to, but to wouldn't hurt to add one or two more programs if you're interested/have the finances to do so.

GRE (including date taken): 159V / 161Q / 4.0W (08/2011)

-2 years as lab technician working in clinical genetics, 1.5 years of which in research and development

Interested in: (Genetic) Epidemiology

Accepted:

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

Heya! Your application looks great, but double-check the expiry for your GRE scores. Most places require them to be less than five years old. It looks like you are just past that cut-off so maybe bring that up to the schools you are applying to just to avoid any hiccups. (I hope they are fine with the date because you did really well!)

Haven't heard from Columbia concerning interviews after applying to the HPM program. Is this a bad sign? Application confirmation from Columbia received 12/12

Haven't heard from Columbia concerning interviews after applying to the HPM program. Is this a bad sign? Application confirmation from Columbia received 12/12

I got the application complete email on 12/2 and then the interview invite on 12/21. Given that lag and the holiday season, I wouldn't be panicking right now.

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I was just wondering if anyone got into the University of Minnesota and is planning to attend? What are you thoughts on the school?

UMN is my top choice, but I am still unsure. Also, if anyone is currently attending UMN, if you could share your experience and thoughts on the mph program, that would be great.

I'm just trying to get people's $0.02 on the school. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.