MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got waitlisted by NYU for HPM! Please anyone who knows that they will not be attending, tell them! This is my first choice if I got in :)

I just declined from HPM for ya. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to Emory Global Environmental Health!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know if Columbia will be sending out any more merit scholarships?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else waiting on Hopkins 11 month MPH? I was accepted to Yale (2/2) for HP and Columbia (2/17) for HPM-- yes, that email debacle was horrible. Hopkins is my number 1 and I'm going crazy not knowing!
Me too!

Anyone know if Columbia will be sending out any more merit scholarships?

A couple of days before I received my official acceptance letter from Columbia, I called and was told that if I received a scholarship it would be attached to my acceptance letter.

A couple of days before I received my official acceptance letter from Columbia, I called and was told that if I received a scholarship it would be attached to my acceptance letter.

The day after I received my acceptance letter I inquired about scholarships (merit and need-based) and they said they were still reviewing and would be in touch in the next few weeks. :bored:

It seems that Emory has taken 1st place for poor communication, but I'd like to nominate Columbia for second (for this, but largely for incorrectly sending out acceptance emails to roughly 200-300 applicants).

Reactions: 5 users
The day after I received my acceptance letter I inquired about scholarships (merit and need-based) and they said they were still reviewing and would be in touch in the next few weeks. :bored:

It seems that Emory has taken 1st place for poor communication, but I'd like to nominate Columbia for second (for this, but largely for incorrectly sending out acceptance emails to roughly 200-300 applicants).

Kinda cool knowing you're one of the 277 applicants the NYT and Time Magazine are talking about though

spoke with umich HBHE this am-- no awards have been made yet. hang tight, folks!

spoke with umich HBHE this am-- no awards have been made yet. hang tight, folks!
kllm.gif

Reactions: 1 user
I strangely got a welcome email from the department that was emailed the day of all those HPM acceptance emails that weren't supposed to go out. I never received an email from them "correcting" the error, though... so I wasn't sure if it was an official acceptance or not. I called admissions and they said to look for an email Monday (today)...

Did you hear back yesterday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any idea of which schools give travel stipends for Student Visit Day/whatever the school calls it? If so, how do we go about asking about them?

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody have any idea of which schools give travel stipends for Student Visit Day/whatever the school calls it? If so, how do we go about asking about them?

I would email the financial aid office of the school to see if they provide travel grants.

Just got scholarship info from UMN. They gave me instate tuition but no additional award.

Got into the JHU MSPH in Global Disease and Epidemiology and Control this weekend! I had just landed in Atlanta to check out Emory when I got the email haha. Ultimately I don't think this is the degree program for me (really want an MPH but didn't have the work experience for JHU's) but it's pretty exciting to get into the "#1" school. 7 for 7!

Has anyone heard from Yale Environmental Health Sciences? In early January the Dean of Admissions said that I should expect to receive a decision in 2-3 weeks, and now it's been more than 6 :(

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Yale Environmental Health Sciences? In early January, the Dean of Admissions said that I should expect to receive a decision in 2-3 weeks, and now it's been more than 6 :(

Didn't apply to that department (applied to SBS) but I still haven't heard back either. Just sent an email to admissions and will post again if I get a response! Granted I did apply late in the cycle, so that could be why...

Hi all,

I got in to the UNC Health Behavior department but I'm a bit concerned about whether or not I will be able to gain any further experience in stats/epi aside from the two introductory courses that are part of the core. Does anyone have any insight? BU and Drexel offer some more flexibility, and Harvard allows you to petition to change programs. Some schools have more certificate options. As someone who applied to mostly SBS/Health Behavior programs (in no small part due to the fact that I have not taken a math class since high school and don't have public health work experience), one of the things I have been considering is whether or not a school can also equip me with hard skills that can make me a more competitive applicant when applying for jobs.

Thanks!

That's a pretty good offer, is MINN one of your top choices?
It is a pretty good offer. I was hoping for one of their diversity based awards too, but ah well. I don't even know what my top choices are now because it's going to come down to money. If I had to pick today, Drexel, but I'm holding on for a decision from Brown (top choice if money weren't a factor) and maybe more scholarship info from other places.

Has anyone heard from Yale Environmental Health Sciences? In early January, the Dean of Admissions said that I should expect to receive a decision in 2-3 weeks, and now it's been more than 6 :(
Didn't apply to that department (applied to SBS) but I still haven't heard back either. Just sent an email to admissions and will post again if I get a response! Granted I did apply late in the cycle, so that could be why...
I applied to EMD before the holidays (mid December) and I have not heard back yet either.

Accepted to U of Washington COPHP program! Am replying to my original post bc I don't know how to do the fancy thing you guys are doing where you post your stats in your signature...

Congrats on COPHP! I'm attending this Fall :)

Accepted into UW's MPH - Nutritional Sciences, but found out on Friday I'm currently waitlisted for the dietetics program. The letter I received gave no indication of where I am on the waitlist... Is it acceptable to e-mail the department and ask? Don't want to be annoying but figure that's information that I have a right to know, right?

Just curious, how old is everyone in here?

I am 30 and began college late in life compared to most, thanks to being active duty.

I am 21. I graduated with my bachelors a year early and currently working full time with survivors of sexual assault. I will have taken 2 years between my undergrad and grad programs when I start next fall!

Congrats on COPHP! I'm attending this Fall :)

That's awesome. I LOVE the program and very likely see myself committing come the decision deadline. Did you apply in the early action pool or in regular decision? I just found out I was admitted last night - was eating dinner and got the call. I'm so thrilled! May I ask - are you from the west coast and/or the Seattle area? This would constitute a cross-country move for me, so would love any insight you may have on living in Seattle.

Accepted to U of Washington COPHP program! Am replying to my original post bc I don't know how to do the fancy thing you guys are doing where you post your stats in your signature...
Congratulations!! Did they send you an email? Also - I'm from Seattle. If you're not from the area and have questions about the city, lemme know! :)

I asked admissions (using whatever e-mail sent me my acceptance or info about visit days). Michigan has a travel agent that will arrange travel for you. Berkeley sent an unsolicited travel stipend offer ($250). Emory offers a stipend (up to $250). BU and UCLA have said they don't offer any travel assistance.

Congratulations!! Did they send you an email? Also - I'm from Seattle. If you're not from the area and have questions about the city, lemme know! :)

A professor in the program called me, last night. He said a expect a formal letter via email, today. I actually am not from Seattle (or the West Coast, for that matter), and I would love to know how you like living there. Is it manageable without a car? Relatively affordable? Thank you!

That's awesome. I LOVE the program and very likely see myself committing come the decision deadline. Did you apply in the early action pool or in regular decision? I just found out I was admitted last night - was eating dinner and got the call. I'm so thrilled! May I ask - are you from the west coast and/or the Seattle area? This would constitute a cross-country move for me, so would love any insight you may have on living in Seattle.

I'm not doing the COPHP program but I am in Seattle, went to UW as an undergrad and might (still very up in the air) be attending for the Health Services MPH. If you have any questions I'd definitely be happy to answer, as it seems others have mentioned as well!

Edit: just saw you asked about a car. I did all of undergrad without a car (an unlimited bus pass is included in your tuition), and found it more convenient than having my car here like I do now. Again, that's just one person's opinion but there aren't plenty of bus lines and a light rail station on campus.

Hi all,

I got in to the UNC Health Behavior department but I'm a bit concerned about whether or not I will be able to gain any further experience in stats/epi aside from the two introductory courses that are part of the core. Does anyone have any insight? BU and Drexel offer some more flexibility, and Harvard allows you to petition to change programs. Some schools have more certificate options. As someone who applied to mostly SBS/Health Behavior programs (in no small part due to the fact that I have not taken a math class since high school and don't have public health work experience), one of the things I have been considering is whether or not a school can also equip me with hard skills that can make me a more competitive applicant when applying for jobs.

Thanks!
If youre interested in HBHE-type programs... what do you hope to do with your MPH? and why do you feel like you need additional epi/stts/math?

I love that they called people about their acceptances, felt so personal. I applied for the early decision deadline. I'm from the Midwest so this would also be cross-country for me. I've visited Seattle several times and I love it! Definitely an underrated city, in my opinion. Also, it just got ranked #6 best city to live in according to US News :)

edit: if you commit I'd be open to exchanging contact info if you're comfortable. Seeing that we are a small group of students, it'd be nice to meet someone who is going into the program before school starts!

I love that they called people about their acceptances, felt so personal. I applied for the early decision deadline. I'm from the Midwest so this would also be cross-country for me. I've visited Seattle several times and I love it! Definitely an underrated city, in my opinion. Also, it just got ranked #6 best city to live in according to US News :)

edit: if you commit I'd be open to exchanging contact info if you're comfortable. Seeing that we are a small group of students, it'd be nice to meet someone who is going into the program before school starts!

I'll definitely let you know if (when?) I commit - I have a couple of personal things I am waiting to hear more on (for example, a partner who is matching into medical residency) before I make my decision :)

A professor in the program called me, last night. He said a expect a formal letter via email, today. I actually am not from Seattle (or the West Coast, for that matter), and I would love to know how you like living there. Is it manageable without a car? Relatively affordable? Thank you!
That's awesome, so personal. Congrats! I haven't actually lived in the area in a while, but I would agree with what someone else said, definitely manageable without a car, especially with the new light rail stations. Many of my friends walk/bike/take public transit. And if you don't want to do that you can always use Lyft. That being said, there are a lot of amazing places to visit outside of the city that would require a car (going to the Cascades, San Juan Islands, Olympics). Affordability wise, someone who has lived there more recently might be better equipped to answer than me. If you find a group of people to get a house together, which is what most of my friends are doing right now, it can be relatively affordable! Let me know if you have any other questions!

If youre interested in HBHE-type programs... what do you hope to do with your MPH? and why do you feel like you need additional epi/stts/math?
I would like to have the flexibility to gain more experience and knowledge in stats and epi because it could have the potential to open more doors in terms of job opportunities. My interest is mostly in health disparities and creating a more efficient health care system focusing on super utilizers. The work has the potential to be more data heavy, but this is also work that is still relatively new, with programs/clinics mostly cropping up in the past few years. Having hard skills might be helpful to have not just for the work I am interested in pursuing, but also in the general job search.

I reached out to a current UNC student and she provided me a list with ample course options in stats and epi though that are available to HB students, so it doesn't like like it will be an issue!

Has anyone filled out the Hopkins FinAid app yet? They ask questions about scholarships, which we have not been notified about...? I am not sure I have enough info to complete this yet.

This was in the Emory package I got today. Looks too classy for me

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1487714526.686152.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1487714526.686152.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 8 users
did you send in a deposit already? or do they send these to all accepted students?
Sent to all which is nice - somewhat counteracts their rocky communications for me.

Has anyone filled out the Hopkins FinAid app yet? They ask questions about scholarships, which we have not been notified about...? I am not sure I have enough info to complete this yet.

I called the department about this. They told me to fill out the form with the assumption that I'm not getting any scholarship, because this information can always be updated later when awards are sent out.

When I go to my JHSPH portal it looks totally different and shows that I can accept an admissions offer... After the Columbia acceptance emails thing I'm scared to trust this. Should I wait until I get an email to confirm or do you guys this is real in which case !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
When I go to my JHSPH portal it looks totally different and shows that I can accept an admissions offer... After the Columbia acceptance emails thing I'm scared to trust this. Should I wait until I get an email to confirm or do you guys this is real in which case !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopkins emailed me about 24 hours after my portal changed but I think you're good!

First acceptance out of three 1/3
Got my acceptance from GWU today for the Epidemiology MPH program ☺️ I'm so happy I feel so smart!

Reactions: 9 users