MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from UC Berkeley Global Health and Environment MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received financial aid info for Hopkins MSPH yet? I submitted the public health student aid application on the SIS, but hoping to hear sometime soon...I'll be at accepted students day on March 10! See some of you there!

I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to MSPH at Hopkins or MPH at GW (I'm located in the DC area now and want to continue working at my job while I study). I'm trying not to freak out until I can visit both schools and get financial aid info for both, but you know how that goes! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be too vague of a question, but does anyone have experience moving back to their hometown after being away for college (either for a previous graduate degree, a job, or you're planning on doing it this year)? UNC is an amazing school and cheap for me if I can figure out the whole residency fiasco, but I'm really wary of it feeling like high school again. It's a small town, my parents are still there, etc.

How do you go about making new experiences? How do you discover new things in a town you feel like you already know like the back of your hand? How does your perception of your own childhood town change? Will it dampen the grad school experience? Is it fair for me to have an urge to move to a completely new place despite that being illogical?
Thanks for any insight you all can give me :) You've been such a helpful resource!

Reactions: 1 user
This might be too vague of a question, but does anyone have experience moving back to their hometown after being away for college (either for a previous graduate degree, a job, or you're planning on doing it this year)? UNC is an amazing school and cheap for me if I can figure out the whole residency fiasco, but I'm really wary of it feeling like high school again. It's a small town, my parents are still there, etc.

How do you go about making new experiences? How do you discover new things in a town you feel like you already know like the back of your hand? How does your perception of your own childhood town change? Will it dampen the grad school experience? Is it fair for me to have an urge to move to a completely new place despite that being illogical?
Thanks for any insight you all can give me :) You've been such a helpful resource!

I moved back home (living in my old childhood bedroom, with both parents who are retired) for about 7 months when I was first working after undergrad. We fought, and still do, but honestly in a very surprising way, my relationship with my parents has never been better. I've since moved out for over a year now, but travel home monthly or host my parents at my new apartment because I miss them and value their opinions and company so much more than I ever did previously. I never moved as a kid, so the town I moved back to was my home for 18 years previously and I was terrified of feeling like my high school self again and running into people I hated from those years. However, even when I did rarely run into them, and would occasionally revert back to my teenage self, overall it felt like a relatively new place. After having moved and lived several different places since I came to appreciate my hometown and everything my parents went through to get me in a good school district and safe neighborhood. I didn't really "go out" in the area, because that did feel weird, but made plans on the weekends to go into NYC or visit friends in different cities.

That being said, I only did it for 7 months, not 2 years+ (not sure how long you're program will be). I don't know your relationship with your family, or your hometown, but I went into living at home with all of the same fears you describe, and honestly had a pretty positive experience. You didn't mention if you would be living at home with your parents or in your own place, which I think could make the whole situation that much easier (but also more expensive). Especially since you'll be starting a grad program, you're going to be exposed to so many new people and experiences I really believe you'll be able to "rebrand" the image you have in your mind of your hometown. But that's just my opinion :)

Reactions: 1 users
I moved back home (living in my old childhood bedroom, with both parents who are retired) for about 7 months when I was first working after undergrad. We fought, and still do, but honestly in a very surprising way, my relationship with my parents has never been better. I've since moved out for over a year now, but travel home monthly or host my parents at my new apartment because I miss them and value their opinions and company so much more than I ever did previously. I never moved as a kid, so the town I moved back to was my home for 18 years previously and I was terrified of feeling like my high school self again and running into people I hated from those years. However, even when I did rarely run into them, and would occasionally revert back to my teenage self, overall it felt like a relatively new place. After having moved and lived several different places since I came to appreciate my hometown and everything my parents went through to get me in a good school district and safe neighborhood. I didn't really "go out" in the area, because that did feel weird, but made plans on the weekends to go into NYC or visit friends in different cities.

That being said, I only did it for 7 months, not 2 years+ (not sure how long you're program will be). I don't know your relationship with your family, or your hometown, but I went into living at home with all of the same fears you describe, and honestly had a pretty positive experience. You didn't mention if you would be living at home with your parents or in your own place, which I think could make the whole situation that much easier (but also more expensive). Especially since you'll be starting a grad program, you're going to be exposed to so many new people and experiences I really believe you'll be able to "rebrand" the image you have in your mind of your hometown. But that's just my opinion :)
That was honestly SO helpful, you understood 100% what I was going for - it's something that's so hard to explain but it's just a feeling! And being a weirdly emotional person I wasn't sure if anyone else shared those concerns but I'm really glad to see that it worked out for you and that you were able to "rebrand." I would be getting my own place with my S.O. so yeah, that will definitely be a new variable that's different from high school. Thanks so much for your response!

Has anyone received financial aid info for Hopkins MSPH yet? I submitted the public health student aid application on the SIS, but hoping to hear sometime soon...I'll be at accepted students day on March 10! See some of you there!

I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to MSPH at Hopkins or MPH at GW (I'm located in the DC area now and want to continue working at my job while I study). I'm trying not to freak out until I can visit both schools and get financial aid info for both, but you know how that goes! :p
I emailed the financial aid office and they said that they won't begin processing and sending out the awards until after March 15th...so I guess enticing us with their campus and admitted students day first :)

When I go to my JHSPH portal it looks totally different and shows that I can accept an admissions offer... After the Columbia acceptance emails thing I'm scared to trust this. Should I wait until I get an email to confirm or do you guys this is real in which case !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My portal changed yesterday!!! Did you get a confirmation email? Just checking to make sure I'm not getting excited over nothing!!

My portal changed yesterday!!! Did you get a confirmation email? Just checking to make sure I'm not getting excited over nothing!!

Yes! I got my email yesterday in the early afternoon - CONGRATS!!!

Where do those who are attending Columbia plan to live? Close to 169th St or pretty much anywhere?

Where do those who are attending Columbia plan to live? Close to 169th St or pretty much anywhere?

I'll be applying to student housing but if I don't get a place in the towers, then I won't live on campus. I'm looking for places either within a few blocks of mailman, or really close to a subway or bus stop so that I don't have to walk too much in the winter.

What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)

I am a weird case in that I went to undergrad in NYC, but my parents live here. So since graduating, I've moved back with them. I think its pretty nice in that it takes A LOT of pressure off (for the last year I was working to support myself in a super expensive european city!) in terms of finances. Its also pretty nice because you know who your roommates are. That said, its a different experience than moving to a new place-maybe for me, there's less pressure to make new friends because I already know so many people and have my family here. It depends on what experience you want and financial considerations

Finally in at Yale (on my birthday)! I got into all four of the schools I applied to (Yale, Columbia, BU, GWU). Decision time!

Reactions: 16 users
I think I can *probably* rule out Michigan giving me a dean's award - Do I go with Michigan, which is 17K more expensive than what BU will cost me? I feel like the former is a better fit. But from what I've heard, AA is cheaper than Boston ( Never been to AA, only Boston - paid around 1100 per month for housing)

Finally in at Yale (on my birthday)! I got into all four of the schools I applied to (Yale, Columbia, BU, GWU). Decision time!

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!

Just accepted to Yale EMD! My application was marked complete with them December 5th.

Reactions: 4 users
I think I can *probably* rule out Michigan giving me a dean's award - Do I go with Michigan, which is 17K more expensive than what BU will cost me? I feel like the former is a better fit. But from what I've heard, AA is cheaper than Boston ( Never been to AA, only Boston - paid around 1100 per month for housing)

I've been looking at UMich housing and have friends here. It can be around that price too, I had trouble finding anything lower than 1200 in AA unless it was a bigger place with more roommates which I don't have.

Does anyone have any insight into what it's like living in Connecticut/New Haven? I'm from Seattle, but am heavily considering attending Yale in the fall. This would be a huge move for me, and I am pretty unfamiliar with the other coast! Any comments on car vs. public transportation, affordability, general atmosphere etc. would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't have experience living in New Haven specifically, though I've heard mixed things from friends and colleagues who have lived there (college town, not much else going on, food isn't that good except pizza, etc). I can speak to moving from the west coast to the east coast, and HIGHLY recommend you visit before you decide to take the leap. I moved from California to Boston for my first job out of undergrad a little over two years ago and the transition was tough. I know winters in the PNW can be rough for some people, but there are particularly long out here (end of November until mid April, then it hovers in the 50s until the end of May), and if you have any kind of seasonal mental health changes it will definitely taint your experience on the east coast. Also, the standoffishness of people from out here can be hard to adjust to, and it is difficult to make friends. Granted, you'll be meeting people in the context of your program so it might be easier, but just be aware that the general vibe on the east coast is that you have to REALLY work at spending time with people before good friendships form.

That being said, summers are lovely and I've enjoyed being so close to so many places that I either never thought I'd go to or would be harder to access from the west coast (New York, Philly, Vermont, Maine, etc). Definitely recommend having a car and taking advantage of ttrains so you can travel easier along the Atlantic.

Last edited:
I've been looking at UMich housing and have friends here. It can be around that price too, I had trouble finding anything lower than 1200 in AA unless it was a bigger place with more roommates which I don't have.

Munger seemed to have *some* prices in the 600-700s, under the 'shared units for grad students' bit. You're right though, the rest looks like it's going to cost me about the same. I do think it might be easier to find something in the 700-800 range in AA than Boston.

More room-mates are okay with me, though it's probably going to end up being tough with more than 3 people.

Just received my financial aid package from Yale!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello! Just a FYI, I'm still waiting on Hopkins 11 month MPH program. I called the office and they said that it could be another 2-3 weeks. Does anyone know if this is standard? Seems to be cutting it closer for a program that begins in June!!

Munger seemed to have *some* prices in the 600-700s, under the 'shared units for grad students' bit. You're right though, the rest looks like it's going to cost me about the same. I do think it might be easier to find something in the 700-800 range in AA than Boston.

More room-mates are okay with me, though it's probably going to end up being tough with more than 3 people.
munger is really nice and conv. housing in AA is hard... and expensive... and usually crappy. Start looking now bc things go fast. Also, the roomate finder portal on Michigan's website is really helpful-- people actually use it!

Hello everyone! So far this thread has been really helpful for me to decide the school I want to go.

Undergrad School: Cameron University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.211/ SOPHAS: 3.28
Major/Minor: Chemistry (Health Sciences)
GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 153 (Verbal), 149 (Quant) :( AW: 3 I have taken 12 credits of maths, mainly calculus and analytical geometry I and II and Quantitative Analysis and SOPHAS GPA for my math is 4.0 so I hope that helps with my low quant score.
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
 Undergraduate Research: Biodiesel Production Using Microwave Radiation
 Senior Capstone Research: Designer Insulin and Management of Diabetes
 Honors Research: Geographical Distribution of STD’s in the State of Oklahoma
Gamma Sigma Epsilon Member
Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied: Drexel (2/14), Temple (2/20) Both were verified in SOPHAS in 2/21. University of Oklahoma
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

My work experience is pretty limited because I mainly worked for the university departments and did the administrative jobs.
I don't know if I was too late to apply for these programs because I took my GRE in early Jan. I am very nervous and I don't really know about how the MPH program in Temple is. But I would really want to go to Drexel.

AA is hard... and expensive... and usually crappy. !

Hah! You're really selling the place. I need to make a decision first ( though that hasn't stopped me from browsing through BU and Michigan's housing options. Will have a look at that room-mate finder

I seriously screwed up by not changing the name in my personal statement from Minnesota to Colorado.. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO CHANGE MY PERSONAL STATEMENT AFTER I SUBMIT?!!

Hey all! I'm choosing between UCLA and BU and was hoping for some suggestions. Ignoring cost/ location, is there a reason why UCLA might be a better choice for an Epi student interested in infectious disease and global health over BU? I have a heavy research background and plan on continuing this during my MPH program. BU seems to be bending over backwards, even before I applied, to answer my questions regarding any and everything, and I can't even get a tour at UCLA... It's just leaving a bad taste in my mouth and might be skewing my thoughts on the schools... so if anyone has any advice that would be so great!

BU is pretty stellar re: communication, I got in touch with a few international students very easily.

Also just accepted to Harvard SM2 global health!

Reactions: 7 users
There's no reason to confine yourself to the 160s if you want to live elsewhere. Students here live absolutely everywhere, even Connecticut. I live toward the end of Washington Heights, beginning of Inwood and I love it! Only takes me 15min to get to campus and I have a large apartment for a reasonable price. There are students who live in Brooklyn, Hell's Kitchen, Harlem, New Jersey, etc

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone!
So I received my financial aid package from Yale this morning and it was unimpressive to say the least. I personally think I am going to have to pass on Yale bc my other options are much cheaper (my post is in this thread somewhere). Best of luck to those who are still waiting though!

Last edited:
Hello! Just a FYI, I'm still waiting on Hopkins 11 month MPH program. I called the office and they said that it could be another 2-3 weeks. Does anyone know if this is standard? Seems to be cutting it closer for a program that begins in June!!

Same. I'm mentally assuming I will not be accepted and if I'm wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised :)

Accepted to Harvard HSB 65 credit!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted for Harvard's MPH 45-credit program in Global Health! Over the moon! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just got a totally unexpected and really significant merit scholarship package from Emory oh godddd. I had pretty much made the mental decision for Columbia over BU's scholarship and now I'm back to the being totally torn stage. I'm thrilled too but my brain can't take much more internal debating :dead: Does anyone have any advice on leveraging scholarships?

Reactions: 10 users
Hah! You're really selling the place. I need to make a decision first ( though that hasn't stopped me from browsing through BU and Michigan's housing options. Will have a look at that room-mate finder
I was there for a short time and then had to leave for an emergency....

I am from the south, so housing is SUPER cheap down here. Otherwise, AA was FANTASTIC! Loved every ounce of it.

Just got a totally unexpected and really significant merit scholarship package from Emory oh godddd. I had pretty much made the mental decision for Columbia over BU's scholarship and now I'm back to the being totally torn stage. I'm thrilled too but my brain can't take much more internal debating :dead: Does anyone have any advice on leveraging scholarships?

Did the information come through an email? That's awesome!! Congrats :)

Hopefully great news for you! (And selfishly hoping mine comes soon!)

Thank you! I received a $15k grant, and the rest of tuition was covered with a direct unsubsidized loan. Assuming I don't take out an additional loan for living expenses, I'd be borrowing around $60k. Not exactly cheap by any means, but it's a nice surprise considering my expectations. I was leaning towards Yale before, and I'm very likely to commit now.

I hope you receive good news from them as well!

Just checked wolverine access and I've been recommended for admissions for Umich HBHE! That's 3/3 for me, with earlier decisions from BU and Pitt. :)

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats!! When did you submit Yale's form/FAFSA?

Thank you! I submitted the YSPH financial aid form on 2/14. I had originally submitted my FAFSA on 2/4 but had to make a couple of corrections due to my own carelessness - the first on 2/13, and the second on 2/21. The turnaround was remarkably quick, and Jennifer Farkas has been incredibly helpful!

Thank you! I submitted the YSPH financial aid form on 2/14. I had originally submitted my FAFSA on 2/4 but had to make a couple of corrections due to my own carelessness - the first on 2/13, and the second on 2/21. The turnaround was remarkably quick, and Jennifer Farkas has been incredibly helpful!

Got my financial aid package as well with $8.5k renewable merit aid and a $15k need based grant, and definitely feeling torn now!! WOW!! Columbia was in the lead by far, but this might change things?? So much to consider now!!

Just checked wolverine access and I've been recommended for admissions for Umich HBHE! That's 3/3 for me, with earlier decisions from BU and Pitt. :)

Congrats!!!!!! When did you submit/when we're you marked complete? Also, what hanged on your account?