MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my first acceptance! Accepted into the part-time MPH program at John Hopkins!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if Columbia is still sending out letters (acceptances, rejections, waitlists)? I applied for Epi but haven't heard back at all...only heard that my application was complete and sent to the department. Wondering if I should just email them...

Also, anyone consider UC Berkeley? I got accepted for their Infectious Diseases concentration, which is mainly what I want to study and focus on, but word of possible funding cuts is a very scary thought that is seriously deterring me from considering this school...Also, UCI gave me a slight scholarship which is really nice too...

Accepted to Global Environmental Health at Emory!!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, how old is everyone in here?

I am 30 and began college late in life compared to most, thanks to being active duty.

I'm 21 finishing my last semester of undergrad, I'll be 22 when I start a program in the fall. From the research I've done most MPH programs have a number of students straight out of undergrad, whereas the rest are older and working! I totally agree that getting experience in public health is super important before entering a Master's program, and I have been doing that the entire time I've been an undergrad. I really love how much variety and diversity it seems there is within the MPH community.

This might be far fetched, but I'm deciding between Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology at Michigan and Infectious Disease Epidemiology at Columbia and I'm totally stuck about what to do for a billion reasons, approximately, but I wanted to know if anyone knows the class/cohort size typically for either of these schools/programs!

Any other two cents would also be totally welcome :)

Hopkins MPH Full-Time! Only on the portal though. Clued in from everyone else's posts. Haven't received an email yet. Surreal!

Reactions: 5 users
This might be far fetched, but I'm deciding between Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology at Michigan and Infectious Disease Epidemiology at Columbia and I'm totally stuck about what to do for a billion reasons, approximately, but I wanted to know if anyone knows the class/cohort size typically for either of these schools/programs!

Any other two cents would also be totally welcome :)

Both programs are pretty big, with Michigan having ~1000 students and Columbia hovering around 1400. One thing I've heard from the student webinar for Michigan is that the faculty are extremely helpful, and devote ample time to students. Now I didn't apply to Columbia, so I won't know as much as the rest of you. However, I've heard their faculty don't dedicate as much time to students, and that the program in general can feel too big. This varies with each student of course, as I'm sure plenty have enjoyed their time at Columbia. A major factor that Columbia has going for it is its location, which is ideal for internships and jobs. Ann Arbor is nice too, but it's hard to beat NYC. I can totally see why you're torn between the two - it's a great problem to have! For additional insight, I would reach out to current students and/or alumni from both schools (through the career services office, maybe?), and see how their experiences have been.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone ever tried calling the school to check on their admissions decision? I have yet to hear back from Berkeley since I submitted (granted I submitted near the deadline date) and I'm not exactly hopeful anymore since I think most of their acceptances have been sent out. I'd rather get it over with and know than keep waiting like this so I was wondering if anyone has tried calling to see if they can get a more definitive decision date/ask if all acceptances have been sent out?

thanks in advance!

Has anyone ever tried calling the school to check on their admissions decision? I have yet to hear back from Berkeley since I submitted (granted I submitted near the deadline date) and I'm not exactly hopeful anymore since I think most of their acceptances have been sent out. I'd rather get it over with and know than keep waiting like this so I was wondering if anyone has tried calling to see if they can get a more definitive decision date/ask if all acceptances have been sent out?

thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat.. if you do call, I'd be very curious to hear what they say!

thanks in advance!
Yeah! I called GW last year about their admissions decision and they told me I was accepted over the phone.

The day after I received my acceptance letter I inquired about scholarships (merit and need-based) and they said they were still reviewing and would be in touch in the next few weeks. :bored:

It seems that Emory has taken 1st place for poor communication, but I'd like to nominate Columbia for second (for this, but largely for incorrectly sending out acceptance emails to roughly 200-300 applicants).

I'm hoping that what they told you was correct! Tbh, the person I spoke to didn't really seem to be putting much effort into answering my questions and was just giving me yes/no responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, anyone consider UC Berkeley? I got accepted for their Infectious Diseases concentration, which is mainly what I want to study and focus on, but word of possible funding cuts is a very scary thought that is seriously deterring me from considering this school...Also, UCI gave me a slight scholarship which is really nice too...

I am! So far I have offers from Columbia and UC Berkeley, but no scholarship offers from either. I'm torn between them because they are such different schools with pros/cons. However last time I checked the Berkeley SPH official facebook page they were crowdfunding for scholarships.... :/

I would like to have the flexibility to gain more experience and knowledge in stats and epi because it could have the potential to open more doors in terms of job opportunities. My interest is mostly in health disparities and creating a more efficient health care system focusing on super utilizers. The work has the potential to be more data heavy, but this is also work that is still relatively new, with programs/clinics mostly cropping up in the past few years. Having hard skills might be helpful to have not just for the work I am interested in pursuing, but also in the general job search.

I reached out to a current UNC student and she provided me a list with ample course options in stats and epi though that are available to HB students, so it doesn't like like it will be an issue!
Sounds like youre set then!!! All the best!

I'm hoping that what they told you was correct! Tbh, the person I spoke to didn't really seem to be putting much effort into answering my questions and was just giving me yes/no responses.

Yeah- the person I spoke to gave me info, but they weren't exactly personable. I imagine they're answering the same questions many times a day.

For what it's worth, yesterday I asked if we'd hear about aid/scholarships before admitted students day on the 3rd. I think that's fair- for many of us that's a long way to travel.

I'm not doing the COPHP program but I am in Seattle, went to UW as an undergrad and might (still very up in the air) be attending for the Health Services MPH. If you have any questions I'd definitely be happy to answer, as it seems others have mentioned as well!

Edit: just saw you asked about a car. I did all of undergrad without a car (an unlimited bus pass is included in your tuition), and found it more convenient than having my car here like I do now. Again, that's just one person's opinion but there aren't plenty of bus lines and a light rail station on campus.

I've heard from various people that it can be hard to "break in" socially in Seattle, that people are pretty tight knit and outsiders sometimes have a hard time there. I've also heard that the ratio of dark/rainy/cold weather to pleasant weather can be depressing. What are your thoughts on these observations, living there? Being from the East Coast, I really know very little about the city and its social culture. I'm planning to visit the program, but won't be able to until the end of March. I hear the public health community is amazing and innovative.

Hi all. A couple questions:

1) Anyone else still waiting to hear back from Harvard?
2) Has anyone received a funding decision from Berkeley yet?
3) Who's going to Berkeley and UCLA's visit days? I'll be there!

Brown is killing me slowly with how long they are taking to release decisions. Just needed to complain somewhere! :grumpy:

Reactions: 2 users
For Michigan HBHE---

I spoke to a woman in admissions, she said they are still catching up on the review process but she is hopeful they will have decisions out within the next week.:xf::xf:

Reactions: 3 users
For Michigan HBHE---

I spoke to a woman in admissions, she said they are still catching up on the review process but she is hopeful they will have decisions out within the next week.:xf::xf:
they get SO many applicants! I can imagine. They were one of my last decisions made last year...

For Michigan HBHE---

Any idea if merit awards will be rolled out next week as well? Next week will make a month since I've been admitted and the loans they presented 2-3 weeks ago won't cut it!

Any idea if merit awards will be rolled out next week as well? Next week will make a month since I've been admitted and the loans they presented 2-3 weeks ago won't cut it!

I didn't ask, so she didn't mention anything. Right now all I want is the acceptance and then I'll worry about all the money issues hah!

I think this is the week... yesterday she said "soon". worst comes to worst... last year I found out first week in march.... so I would guess it would be no later than that.

Is anyone here strongly considering NYU? I'm stuck between that and GW, but really leaning towards NYU to stay in New York, and they offered me a scholarship. I know it's a newer program which concerns me a little, but does anyone have any insight about it?

A professor in the program called me, last night. He said a expect a formal letter via email, today. I actually am not from Seattle (or the West Coast, for that matter), and I would love to know how you like living there. Is it manageable without a car? Relatively affordable? Thank you!
I know I'm not @kpdx, but I did all of undergrad in Seattle without a car. An unlimited bus pass is included in your tuition, and there are many bus lines near the university. They also just opened a light rail station stop on the campus. Transportation in Seattle is pretty good, and I definitely don't think a car is necessary. There are also a ton of great neighborhoods outside of the University District that have great, easy access to the university. Seattle is about as affordable as you mak
I've heard from various people that it can be hard to "break in" socially in Seattle, that people are pretty tight knit and outsiders sometimes have a hard time there. I've also heard that the ratio of dark/rainy/cold weather to pleasant weather can be depressing. What are your thoughts on these observations, living there? Being from the East Coast, I really know very little about the city and its social culture. I'm planning to visit the program, but won't be able to until the end of March. I hear the public health community is amazing and innovative.

I will say that the "Seattle freeze" can be somewhat true, but I also know that making friends isn't impossible. People just aren't as warm, and don't say hi on the street.. that type of thing (there are some people who do, it's just kind of surprising). I will also say that the weather is pretty gray, and winters can be really hard because it's only "light" between 8 and 4. I think a vitamin D lamp is an easy fix for that solution! I've been in the NW my whole life, but I do have friends who came from sunnier places who have struggled. The culture of the city is great! It can kind of feel like a bubble from the rest of the world, but I, and many people I know, like that bubble! There's also plenty of fun stuff to do, and I rarely find myself bored/out of opportunities. I can definitely attest to the public health community being great. There's no "Seattle freeze" in the public health community! There's something no matter what you're looking for. I work more closely with the community, and I know that no matter what type of event I'm at, there will be somebody who I know, or knows someone from my organization so networking opportunities are great. I also know of people who work more on the data heavy, and programmatic side of public health and they're really happy with their work and the community as well.
Basically, it can be pretty gray here from time to time but the summers, culture, and public health opportunities make it worth it.

Reactions: 1 users

1) I'm still waiting.
2) Nope :(
3) I am likely going to the Berkeley visit day but have not booked tickets yet. I did not apply to UCLA.

Still waiting to hear back from Harvard as well. =/

I'm not holding my breath for Harvard and Hopkins, so I'm exploring the options I currently have. Does anyone have thoughts on UNC (HB) vs Columbia (sociomedical sciences w/ global health certificate)? Obviously the price difference will be a big factor, but I'm still waiting on finaid packages from both schools.

Still waiting to hear back from Harvard as well. =/

I'm not holding my breath for Harvard and Hopkins, so I'm exploring the options I currently have. Does anyone have thoughts on UNC (HB) vs Columbia (sociomedical sciences w/ global health certificate)? Obviously the price difference will be a big factor, but I'm still waiting on finaid packages from both schools.

Also still waiting to hear back from Harvard! Let's not give up hope :)

I'm in at UNC for HB and Columbia for SMS (different certificate), but Columbia is in the lead for me at the moment. They offered me a half scholarship AND I can move back in with my parents, which significantly cuts costs. Their programs both seem pretty awesome and both are definitely good for Global, so for me, finances has become the biggest deciding factor. However, I'm bummed I haven't heard from UNC regarding scholarships and the like, because their program does seem amazing and their communication has been top-notch, with both faculty and current students reaching out.

I moved to the Pacific Northwest about three years ago, so I feel pretty comfortable talking about life up here. I lived near Seattle for about four months before moving down to Portland (where I currently live). Portland and Seattle are similar in many ways and there is constant migration between the two cities. Both cities are experiencing rapid growth and are being flooded with transplants - like me :)

You should remember that it will be easier for a graduate student to make friends in a new community, simply because you will be surrounded by people that are new to the community and have similar interests. This is certainly an advantage over other transplants that have moved to the PNW for other reasons. In general, those in the PNW do seem to detest people moving here simply because 'it's a cool place.'

Aside from housing, everything is pretty affordable in both cities. Seattle is certainly a bit more expensive in this arena, but there is so much competition with all the tech in that city.

As for the winters, I think they are far preferable to the frigid Midwestern winters that I experienced before and during college. It rarely gets below freezing and the rain is rarely more than a drizzle. I've come to really enjoy the seasons here. As someone mentioned above, the summers are absolute perfection.

In short, life in the PNW is excellent.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, just got into UNC Health Behavior for MPH but they told me they're charging me as an out-of-state student even though I lived there all my childhood. Only moved to PA for college and 11 months of AmeriCorps but I guess that counts...? This sucks. 16 grand a semester is hefty

Well, just got into UNC Health Behavior for MPH but they told me they're charging me as an out-of-state student even though I lived there all my childhood. Only moved to PA for college and 11 months of AmeriCorps but I guess that counts...? This sucks. 16 grand a semester is hefty

Right now, UMich has me labeled as an out of state resident as well. I only left Michigan for 4 years of undergrad in Indiana and now in Ohio with AmeriCorps. They are having me apply for in-state tuition and to confirm residency.

Right now, UMich has me labeled as an out of state resident as well. I only left Michigan for 4 years of undergrad in Indiana and now in Ohio with AmeriCorps. They are having me apply for in-state tuition and to confirm residency.

lol michigan has me labeled as out of state as well even though i graduated from a michigan high school, graduated from Umich in 2015 and have been working AT THE UNIVERSITY since then... :rolleyes:

edit: i should add that in my unusually annoying circumstance, a quick phone call to the registrars office fixed my residency classification!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
^ Oh ok maybe it's just a formality then? You'd think they would be more clear about this since it's the determining factor for so many people! Wtf

Congrats-and argue until you are blue in the face about that! That.is.absurd. Don't give up without a fight :)

Congrats-and argue until you are blue in the face about that! That.is.absurd. Don't give up without a fight :)

Also- when you were in college did you keep your parents/guardians' address as your permanent residence? Even if you lived in PA, that's s strong argument. Or, where did you register to vote last? Did you cast an absentee ballot? If you voted for NC I think both of those could work in your favor.

Does anyone have any insight into what it's like living in Connecticut/New Haven? I'm from Seattle, but am heavily considering attending Yale in the fall. This would be a huge move for me, and I am pretty unfamiliar with the other coast! Any comments on car vs. public transportation, affordability, general atmosphere etc. would be greatly appreciated :)

Does anyone have any insight into what it's like living in Connecticut/New Haven? I'm from Seattle, but am heavily considering attending Yale in the fall. This would be a huge move for me, and I am pretty unfamiliar with the other coast! Any comments on car vs. public transportation, affordability, general atmosphere etc. would be greatly appreciated :)

Hello! I currently live in Hartford, CT (originally from Atlanta, GA). Hartford is about 40 min from New Haven and is pretty boring, but from what I've seen, you'll mostly be sticking to New Haven anyway by being at Yale. New Haven is DEFINITELY a college town. Outside of Yale, it's not considered the safest town in CT, but the friends I have at Yale say they haven't experienced many problems. The best thing about New Haven is that it's only a train ride from NYC (2 hours). I frequently drive to New Haven and take the train into the city (right into Grand Central). Also, you're only about 2ish hours (by car) away from Boston. I personally have found having a car necessary, but that's only because I'm living in Hartford and there's not much going on. I don't think public transportation is the best within CT in general though. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello! I currently live in Hartford, CT (originally from Atlanta, GA). Hartford is about 40 min from New Haven and is pretty boring, but from what I've seen, you'll mostly be sticking to New Haven anyway by being at Yale. New Haven is DEFINITELY a college town. Outside of Yale, it's not considered the safest town in CT, but the friends I have at Yale say they haven't experienced many problems. The best thing about New Haven is that it's only a train ride from NYC (2 hours). I frequently drive to New Haven and take the train into the city (right into Grand Central). Also, you're only about 2ish hours (by car) away from Boston. I personally have found having a car necessary, but that's only because I'm living in Hartford and there's not much going on. I don't think public transportation is the best within CT in general though. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Being from Atlanta, how did you like living there?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am currently choosing between Minnesota and Emory.
Any insight into what its like living in Minnesota or Atlanta will be great.
Or why i should choose one over other.
fyi, I am an epi student.
I am trying my best to learn as much as i can online, but i want to hear your opinions. Thanks!!

A little late to the party, but in the hope that it helps someone else who was looking for info on this program!

Just got accepted to the Hopkins MHS in Mental Health program. I heard back only a couple of weeks after my app was forwarded to the department. Sub-3.0 undergrad GPA but decent GRE scores and an upward GPA trend. I'll surely be accepting!!

Being from Atlanta, how did you like living there?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I am trying my best to learn as much as i can online, but i want to hear your opinions. Thanks!!

I think being away from Atlanta for a while has made me really appreciate and miss it. I did undergrad there, so it was "meh" for a while, but that's just because I was in my school's bubble. Nevertheless, I LOVE Atlanta. There's so much to do and so much diversity. Good food is on every corner. I feel like the city is thriving and there's a lot that's happening all the time. HOWEVER, the public transportation (MARTA) sucks, so I personally think you'll need a car if you want to get around and explore (though I do have friends who have gotten along just fine without one). That said, traffic is horrendous.
Housing around Emory can be reasonable (depending on your budget). Sharing a house/apt with someone/several people will be the best way to save.
The only reason Emory isn't higher up on my list is because I can see myself living in Atlanta long-term. Therefore, I want to explore other cities before I go back.

If any of y'all have more specific questions about Atlanta (or Hartford/CT), just PM me! I can also give some suggestions for things you can do in the city if you're there for accepted students day. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

First of all congrats!
Second, I am from California and I have already committed to Minnesota so I'm kind of biased, but I would go on instagram and look at the places. I have found to a pleasant surprise that Minneapolis is super trendy, the cost of living in either St. Paul or Minneapolis is super cost efficient, and from what I've gathered when I've met Minnesotans in California, the people are beyond friendly and nice.

I haven't applied yet, but I think it's funny how your bio is opposite of mine. Went to a school in Atlanta but lived in a town nearby Hartford.

A little late to the party, but in the hope that it helps someone else who was looking for info on this program!

Just got accepted to the Hopkins MHS in Mental Health program. I heard back only a couple of weeks after my app was forwarded to the department. Sub-3.0 undergrad GPA but decent GRE scores and an upward GPA trend. I'll surely be accepting!!
Do you know when exactly they forwarded your application to the department? Mine seem like ages lol

Also- when you were in college did you keep your parents/guardians' address as your permanent residence? Even if you lived in PA, that's s strong argument. Or, where did you register to vote last? Did you cast an absentee ballot? If you voted for NC I think both of those could work in your favor.
Yes to all of those :) After doing some more research I think I'll be able to sway them, apparently this is pretty common. It was just really scary to see!

Do you know when exactly they forwarded your application to the department? Mine seem like ages lol
It was sent to the department on Feb 3rd, and I discovered the acceptance on the "MyPath" portal exactly two weeks later, on Feb 17th (the email acceptance notice arrived the following day). It was sent to the department the same week that they received the last outstanding item, which was GRE scores in my case. At least for me I experienced an impressively fast turnaround, though for Hopkins I get the impression that it is very department specific.