MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know a kid named Inan Chowdury?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah! Inan is in my Environmental Practicum class. I'm not sure what topic he is working on for his senior research project though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Top 20 liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Major (&Minor): Molecular Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): GRE - October 8: 148 V, 153 Q, 4.5 AWA (SO BAD. No excuses, I just suck at standardized testing *classic*.. Unfortunately broke and can't afford a retake)
Experience/Research:
-FDSR Harvard Medical School Research Internship (for Native students interested in science)
-Native American Research Internship at University of Utah (two consecutive summers)
-Writing a senior thesis based on summer research at Utah
-Published in Journal of the American Society of Nephrology from this research ^^
-Planned Parenthood volunteer
-Co-chair positions in clubs on campus (Minority Assoc. For Pre-Health Students, Native American Student Union)
-Studied abroad in Botswana a semester: volunteered at Baylor HIV/AIDS pediatric clinic
-Travel scholarships and presented research at SACNAS and the Assoc. of American Indian Physicians conferences
-Indian Health Service Full Ride Scholarship recipient

LORs:
3 professors (one from Botswana) and my internship PI

Interested in:
Behavioral/community health: I want to improve public/community health on indian reservations and make healthcare more accessible
Applied: Dartmouth (really interested in their nine month program), Tufts, BU, NYU, Brown (all behavioral/social/community health programs)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Decision:

So obviously my GRE is my weak point and DAMN is it weak. Any advice on where else I should consider applying? I'd like to move east coast because I'd like to pursue med school out there eventually. I come from a diverse background with strong ties to my tribe and reservation and talked a lot about how this influenced my interest in public health/how I want to help indigenous people in my statements.

Any advice is much appreciated, especially recommendations if you think I should apply elsewhere! I realize these are all kinda reaches because of my GRE.

I FEEL YOU! I'm retaking it next week, but that's it for me. I am currently looking into Colorado's program and it seems pretty awesome and hands on. I heard through the grape vine that they don't give much financial aid, but it's essentially the same price as the rest! The classes are cool and I like their Global Public Health combined programs. Plus the campus is through their medical school and it's gorgeous!

Members don't see this ad :)
Below is my first post on this thread. I have only edited it to include the schools I have been accepted into :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: It's not always the stats guys. @medception you were 100% right. Admission isn't always based on your stats. All other facets of your application (work experience/ personal statement) are weighed in too. Thank you @medception for the encouragement. And here I was gearing for to retake the GRE come december. I even bought my ETS books lol Don't give up guys and good luck to everyone!

I am applying to only ONLINE MPH PROGRAMS. I will be abroad starting next year and with the added responsibility of my kids and husband, I can't commit to on-campus programs. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on my stats and choice of schools. If you know any safety school outside those I've listed, do let me know! Please & Thank you.

Undergrad School: GWU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/ 2.8
Major/Minor:
Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 145V, 150Q, 3AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-4 months research for analytical chemistry dept
-2 semester paid as laboratory manager for biology dept
-1 year as research assistant for 2 post-doc fellows and 1 PhD candidate at a medical school
-5 months working on FDA project
-4 months working in a biotechnology company
-2.5 years working as production manager in a start-up small scale company
Special factors???
-n/a
Interested in: ALL ARE ONLINE PROGRAMS (Global Health Policy OR Health Policy and Management) USF, Uni of Southern Cali, Des Moines, Albany SUNY, GWU, NY Medical College, Uni of Arizona, UNC, Loyola
Applied: USF, Uni of Southern Cali, Albany SUNY, GWU, Uni of Arizona
Accepted: Albany SUNY (MPH Public Health practice + global health certificate, USF infection control (global health)
Rejected: GWU
Waitlisted:

Happy to help!

Undergrad School: Top 5 liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Psych major/Bio minor (honors)
GRE (including date taken): I just took this today! V160 Q162 W???
Experience/Research:
- 2.5 years research in cog-dev psych
- leading a clean water project for a village in Indonesia
- summer internship at UNICEF (funded by an award)
- spent 2 months (over 2 summers) working on a nutrition project in Guatemala
- research assistant in a local ED (6 months)

Interested in: social/behavioral interventions, global health
Planning to apply (waiting for verification & rec letters): JHU (MSPH) , Harvard (SM), Columbia (MPH), Yale (MPH), U of Cambridge (MPhil)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm kind of worried that I am applying really late through the cycle. On top of that, I don't have lots of experiences :( . I'm also thinking to diversify my school choices. I would gladly welcome your suggestions! :)

This isn't late in the cycle at all. I'm waiting for my last three LOR's to be submitted by a week from tomorrow (11/18), at which point I will be complete everywhere, and I'm not worried. I've already been told by admissions staff at Yale, Michigan, and Hopkins that they normally do not start reading applications until December/January.

Undergrad School: UCLA
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.39/3.58
Major/Minor: Environmental Science/Environmental Health
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE - 152 V (55%) 156 Q (63%) 4 AW (11/2) I blame the experimental section!
  • 3 years as an assistant director for Project Cuddle (non-profit organization providing safe and legal alternatives to baby abandonment)
  • 1 year of volunteering experience at UCLA Hospital working in post partum, NICU, and pediatric units
  • Licensed Emergency Medical Technician
  • 1 year of research on health effects of artificial sweeteners
  • 3 collegiate research presentations
  • 1 year working as UCLA's Practicum Project Manager for STAND LA (non-profit, seeking to eliminate oil drilling in low income, minority residential areas)
  • Club participation (Environmental Student Network, UCLA Transfer Student Program)
Special factors- I don't know how much this will hurt me in the application process, but I won't have my bachelor's degree until the beginning of June 2017 -_-

Interested in: Environmental Health, Toxicology
Applied: UTSA, UCLA, Yale (lol), University of Michigan, UC Irvine, UC Berkeley, Tulane, and Johns Hopkins (another lol)
Accepted: I'm still waiting for my transcripts to verify and for my LoRs to go through.. so I'll probably won't be submitting for another week or so.. :(
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Are you applying to Hopkins MPH? They require two years of FT work experience to be considered. I'm guessing its one of the MSPH programs?

Heard from GW! Accepted into their Epi program : )

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got in to GWU's epi program too! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I got in to GWU's epi program too! :)

That's awesome : ) I am actually a DC local and am attending their open house on the 17th. If you're also local-awesome! If not, feel free to PM me if you have any questions you'd like me ask them!

I submitted my SOPHAS application today!!

Undergrad School: Top 5 liberal arts college, 2012 grad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4, according to SOPHAS. My calculations come out to 3.5. Lower division is 3.15, upper is 3.64.
Major/Minor: Biology (General) / Educational Studies
GradGPA: 3.81 (I agree with SOPHAS on this.)
Grad Studies: earned Masters in Education through an alternative program at a large public university, 2013 grad
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 168V (98th percentile), 155M (60th percentile), 5.5AW (98th percentile) on GRE, taken May 2016
- in college: program coordinator for sexual assault prevention program, student-athlete with many leadership positions, several campus jobs
- completed 1 year AmeriCorps service teaching middle school science in an urban district
- taught middle & high school science for 3.5 school years, including 2 years designing and teaching a public health class to grades 10-12

LORS: 1 undergrad professor (my advisor, I did ~1 year Educational Studies research with her), 1 grad professor/student teaching supervisor, 1 professional acquaintance (a mentor I've known for ~4 years who is well-respected in the social work world and who helped me choose public health over social work)

Special factors
- openly queer and transgender; interested in LGBTQ health specifically

Interested in: I applied only to community and behavioral health programs, but I am also interested in epidemiology of infectious disease (HIV), sexual/reproductive health, and biostat as it applies to those fields. My ultimate goal is to work in a community health setting that seeks to improve the mental, physical, and sexual health of transgender youth.
Applied: Tufts, Harvard, Drexel, Buffalo, Pitt, Minnesota, Colorado on 9/22. SOPHAS verified my transcripts and application on 9/29. Brown on 10/18.
Accepted: Pitt (11/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I got accepted to Pitt today! Quoting myself so future forum browsers can see my stats.

I have mixed feelings about this. Pitt was one of my top choices because their program so aligns with my interests and the low cost of living in a pretty quality city is appealing. But right now, as a transgender person in a multiracial relationship trying to start a family, I can't imagine moving to such a politically volatile state in light of the election. I'm not trying to open up a political discussion so much as share where I am. I know I have a lot to think about, and a lot of time to do so.

Anyway, what's the thread protocol with hearing back from schools? Do we update each time we hear from one, or just edit our original post?

Congrats to all those who got acceptances to GWU!

Hey all,
In case this is helpful, I submitted my SOPHAS app on 11/7 and it was verified on 11/10.

I got accepted to Pitt today! Quoting myself so future forum browsers can see my stats.

I have mixed feelings about this. Pitt was one of my top choices because their program so aligns with my interests and the low cost of living in a pretty quality city is appealing. But right now, as a transgender person in a multiracial relationship trying to start a family, I can't imagine moving to such a politically volatile state in light of the election. I'm not trying to open up a political discussion so much as share where I am. I know I have a lot to think about, and a lot of time to do so.

Anyway, what's the thread protocol with hearing back from schools? Do we update each time we hear from one, or just edit our original post?

Congrats to all those who got acceptances to GWU!

I can't say for Pitt, but I know Philly is a very liberal city. Assuming Pitt is like the rest of the urban-rural stratification in the N.E., it is quite liberal and progressive whereas the outer counties will be increasingly more conservative. Your well-being is more important than where you end up at school (at least I think so!). Perhaps you could talk to current Pitt students and try to get a sense of the culture around the university and where you're family may be living?

And finally, congratulations!!!

I can't say for Pitt, but I know Philly is a very liberal city. Assuming Pitt is like the rest of the urban-rural stratification in the N.E., it is quite liberal and progressive whereas the outer counties will be increasingly more conservative. Your well-being is more important than where you end up at school (at least I think so!). Perhaps you could talk to current Pitt students and try to get a sense of the culture around the university and where you're family may be living?

And finally, congratulations!!!

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to have to visit to see. I grew up in another rust belt city and haven't spent time in Pittsburgh in years, but I used to enjoy it and feel comfortable. I went to college near Philly and know some neighborhoods are liberal, but others (and the suburbs and surrounding communities on the Mainline and Jersey) may vote democratic but are not necessarily full of socially informed people. We'll see which schools accept me and what decisions I actually have to make!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome : ) I am actually a DC local and am attending their open house on the 17th. If you're also local-awesome! If not, feel free to PM me if you have any questions you'd like me ask them!
I'm not a local, but I visited over summer. Have fun at open house!

Got an email about an hour ago for an interview request from SLU's MPH program!!! Really excited because it's my top choice and they responded so quickly (I was sophas verified on November 2)! Anyone have advice about the interview process (phone and in-person)?

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad School: International Medical Graduate
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: N/A
Major/Minor:
Medicine
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.33
Grad Studies (if applicable): Medicine
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): (10/29) V 152, Q 167, W 3.0 TOEFL: (10/22) 109
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 publications, 1 poster presentation
3.5 years head of rural public health centers abroad, 3.5 years assistant director of ambulatory surgery center US.
Special factors: Member of board of directors and member of board of trusties in two separate NGOs outside US.
ECFMG Certified. Some online courses in the field of statistics and clinical trials (not so important)

Interested in: Biostatistics
Applied: University of Minnesota, University of Michigan, University of North Texas, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, University of Illinois at Chicago, GW University Milken
Accepted: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Hi everybody and thank you for sharing your valuable information.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: non US
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: N/A
Major/Minor: Music
GradGPA (if applicable): music + medicine GPA somehow calcuated by WES = 3.77
Grad Studies (if applicable): Medicine, non US school
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE V 167, Q 154, writing 5.5, exam date 4/10/16
Medical doctor with 4 years experience mostly in Indigenous and underserved communities in my home country
Overseas elective in Borneo, Malaysia
Volunteer work here and there eg AIDS Action Council, Suicide Prevention Day; queer legal advocacy group; advocacy for removal of children from forced immigration detention
Research as a component of my medical degree but none since
Special factors???

Interested in: Global health / Family & Community Health / Interdisciplinary. Accelerated 1 year programs only.
Applied: Columbia, Harvard, U.C. Berkeley
Accepted: Columbia, U.C. Berkeley
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Concerned about my low quant GRE, but I studied my a** off and don't believe I could get better if I tried again. I'm not sure if the higher verbal scores will make up for it because the universities I am looking at specifically stipulate having a good quant score. I also have limited research experience and no publications, I'm more interested in being a public health professional rather than a researcher, which hopefully comes through in my applications, but still worried this lack of research/publications will hinder my applications.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Kent State University (Ohio)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56/4.0
Major/Minor: BS Biochemistry and BA French
GRE V 161 Q 162, W 4.5
- about 4-5 years in red cross professional rescue certs. (CPR, AED, Oxygen, First AID, BBP)
-2 years of certification as an Emergency Medical Responder (40 hour class)
-about 6 years of experience in providing emergency medical first aid in a University Rec Center, provided care and acted as incident commander, participated in mock emergencies, audits, and trained other staff.
- Did chemical research for 2 years in college - particularly gained experience in x-ray crystallography and glove box work
- participated in the REU summer research program,
-1 publication in an inorganic chem journal (2015)

Special factors:
-
completed A.L.I.C.E. active shooter response training
- studied abroad in the UK for 1 year
- lived in south korea as an English teacher for 2 years
-I speak English and French, some Korean
- TEFL certified
- Volunteered with a top 10 hospital in the medical records department

Interested in: MPH Epidemiology programs focused in infectious disease and/or global health however I applied for the MS at george washington
Applied: Yale, Columbia, Emory, George Washington, Ohio State, University of Illinois, Oregon State (APPLIED TO THESE BETWEEN NOV 1 and NOV 11)
Accepted: George Washington (Nov 15), Ohio State Univeristy (December 14) UIC (late January), Columbia (feb 8), Emory (feb 9)
Rejected: Oregon state will reject me because I never finished my application (last choice school)
Waitlisted:

So I am narrowing my options down to Columbia and Emory, and Yale if they accept me.

Last edited:
Long time lurker here! Decided it was time to pay it forward for all the help this forum has given me :)

Undergrad School:
LSU Honors College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.47 SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Dual Degree: B.S. in Biological Sciences & B.A. in French
GRE: (April 2015) 157 V, 154 Q, 4.5 W (Not the strongest, I know!)
-4 years in the Immunizations Department of LSU's Student Health Center
-2 years of lab assistant work in first-year biology labs
-5 years of full time work as an English teacher in South Korea
-real world experience as a manager

Special Factors: I was able to get three very strong recommendation letters:
1 from the head nurse at the health clinic I worked at,
1 from an undergrad professor with whom I maintain close contact with, & 1 from my current boss of 3 years.

Interested in: MPH in Epidemiology
Applied:
UT Houston (11/5 verified), Colorado (11/5 verified), Tulane (11/5 verified), GW (11/5 verified), University of New Mexico (11/5 verified), LSU (11/5 verified), Emory (11/5 verified), University of Washington (11/16)
Accepted: LSU (11/8), Tulane (11/10), GW Global Health Epi & Disease Control (12/1), Emory EPI (1/30)
Rejected: UT Houston (12/14)
Waitlisted:

I know my GRE Quantitative score isn't the best, but Tulane offered me admissions to their Epi program just a few days after my app was verified! I think I also have a decent spread of schools from not-very-selective to very selective.
No matter what happens, I feel quite safe and ecstatic at the moment with Tulane :)
Also, let's not talk about how much money was spent on all these applications....my word.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Kent State University (Ohio)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56/4.0
Major/Minor: BS Biochemistry and BA French
GRE V 161 Q 162, W 4.5
- about 4-5 years in red cross professional rescue certs. (CPR, AED, Oxygen, First AID, BBP)
-2 years of certification as an Emergency Medical Responder (40 hour class)
-about 6 years of experience in providing emergency medical first aid in a University Rec Center, provided care and acted as incident commander, participated in mock emergencies, audits, and trained other staff.
- Did chemical research for 2 years in college - particularly gained experience in x-ray crystallography and glove box work
- participated in the REU summer research program,
-1 publication in an inorganic chem journal (2015)

Special factors:
-
completed A.L.I.C.E. active shooter response training
- studied abroad in the UK for 1 year
- lived in south korea as an English teacher for 2 years
-I speak English and French, some Korean
- TEFL certified
- Volunteered with a top 10 hospital in the medical records department

Interested in: MPH Epidemiology programs focused in infectious disease and/or global health however I applied for the MS at george washington
Applied: Yale, Columbia, Emory, George Washington, Ohio State, University of Illinois, Oregon State (APPLIED TO THESE BETWEEN NOV 1 and NOV 11)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I think my GPA is pretty average but my GRE scores are quite good, however I am just worried about my experiences! I am currently living in South Korea with my student loans in deferment, I have been here trying to save up money! I have a lot of diverse experience but nothing super in-depth in public health partially due to my late decision in college to go in this direction and also lack of opportunities available. I had to work mostly in college in order to pay for it. However, I talked a lot about my experiences in first aid and emergency response as this was what really influenced my decision the most.
Fingers are crossed now!

Well, hey there fellow expat! I just saw your post and it is kind of creepy how similar some of our backgrounds are... from our undergraduate degrees to being in South Korea. Your stats kick my stats' butts, but if I can get into a decent school like Tulane, you shouldn't worry so much about your schools!

Well, hey there fellow expat! I just saw your post and it is kind of creepy how similar some of our backgrounds are... from our undergraduate degrees to being in South Korea. Your stats kick my stats' butts, but if I can get into a decent school like Tulane, you shouldn't worry so much about your schools!

This makes me feel a bit better - I have worried a little about how favorably admissions will look at 2 years spent living abroad as an English teacher. This was my first/only job post-college so I worry about my experiences lacking. Although, I applied to Ohio State because 1. I liked the program but 2. It is my home state and thus in state tuition would be available. However, as my mail has been forwarded to a relative in another state OSU is not even sure if I am an Ohio resident or not. In general living, working and banking overseas is both helpful for receiving more financial aid, but also a major headache as far as paperwork goes.

I took the GRE in Korea though so I had a lot of time to relax and study for those scores! But since I did so well I really wanted to try to get into some good schools. So fingers crossed!

Hey all,
I received an email from Columbia i'm not sure what it means.
Dear ..., We are reaching out to you today based on the quality of your GRE scores and academic record as well as your graduate school educational interests. We would like to make you aware of the opportunities available at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

I submitted my application about 2 weeks ago but is this just a general email sent to people on their mailing list?

I am confused about the SOPHAS timeline. What all do I need to get my application started in the verification process? They have all of my transcripts and 1 LOR has been uploaded.

Hey all,
Dear ..., We are reaching out to you today based on the quality of your GRE scores and academic record as well as your graduate school educational interests. We would like to make you aware of the opportunities available at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

I submitted my application about 2 weeks ago but is this just a general email sent to people on their mailing list?

Yeah, it's just a general mailing. I'm not applying to Columbia but received it. I also received similar from Minnesota, Brown, and Harvard despite sending my application in September.

Hey all,

I believe so, I have received so many spam-like e-mails from schools I have not contacted, looked at or applied to. I keep getting e-mails from a school in Kentucky about a scholarship I can get for going there. Also, after I sent my application to Columbia they have sent me a couple e-mails about financial aid and random useful information. It seemed entirely separate though from the admissions department. So I would not think much about it.

Just got an email from Washington University St. Louis confirming my application is under review! Anyone else hear anything from them?

So it says 4-6 weeks till a response...do you know how accurate that is? Or have you heard about the timeline according to other applicants?

Not sure tbh, but I think WUSTL usually gets back by mid to late January?

Undergrad School: St. Lawrence University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.52 (SOPHAS same)
Major/Minor: Psychology/Political Science, English Literature
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 163V, 154Q, 5.5W
Honors psychology research project - 1 year, undergraduate
Counselor for youth with moderate to severe psychopathology - 3 years
Crisis hotline - 2 years
ER volunteer - 1 year
Hospital Intern - 1 year
Project coordinator - 1 year
Research assistant - 1 year

Special factors???

Interested in:
Applied: JHU, Yale, BU, UNC, GWU, Tufts, UMass Amh, Penn, Dartmouth, Brown, UMD
Accepted: GWU (so far)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Just got accepted to the University of Michigan for Hospital & Molecular Epidemiology!

Reactions: 2 users
How long on average has it taken everyone's transcripts to be recorded as "arrived," and then "verified" on SOPHAS?

How long on average has it taken everyone's transcripts to be recorded as "arrived," and then "verified" on SOPHAS?
From the day I sent them, probably 2.5 weeks. They won't be verified until you submit your first application, which can take anywhere from a couple days to 4 weeks.

I just got accepted into my first school so I thought my stats would be helpful to anyone still waiting!! Honestly, after reading some of these posts, my stats are nothing impressive. I did not apply to any safety schools because if I'm going to get my MPH, I'm going big or going home. I think most of you have NOTHING to worry about, but the waiting sucks. I think I checked my email 600 times in the past 3 weeks waiting for this first email!! I truly think the personal statement and LORs did wonders for me, so don't rule out any school because of GPA, GRE, or anything really! You won't know unless you try.

Undergrad School:
Grand Valley State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5ish
Major/Minor: Biomedical Sciences
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 9/24/2016 155Q 153V 4.5 AW
Ghana Health Service Intern
Children's Hospital Volunteer
Hospice Volunteer
Laboratory Technician

Special factors

Honors College Grad
LOR from 2 professors and 1 volunteer coordinator

Interested in:
Applied:
UMich, Columbia, UPitt
Accepted: University of Michigan Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology (11/18), Pitt Public Health Infectious Disease and Microbiology (1/23), Columbia University Infectious Disease Epidemiology(2/8)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted into my first school so I thought my stats would be helpful to anyone still waiting!! Honestly, after reading some of these posts, my stats are nothing impressive. I did not apply to any safety schools because if I'm going to get my MPH, I'm going big or going home. I think most of you have NOTHING to worry about, but the waiting sucks. I think I checked my email 600 times in the past 3 weeks waiting for this first email!! I truly think the personal statement and LORs did wonders for me, so don't rule out any school because of GPA, GRE, or anything really! You won't know unless you try.

Undergrad School:
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 9/24/2016 155Q 153V 4.5 AW
Hospice Volunteer
Laboratory Technician

Special factors

Honors College Grad

Interested in:
Applied:
UMich, Columbia, UPitt
Accepted: University of Michigan Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology (11/18)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hey, congrats on Michigan! I got in for HME as well and I had the exact same "go big or go home" mentality.

Hey, congrats on Michigan! I got in for HME as well and I had the exact same "go big or go home" mentality.

Congrats to you too, then!! Go big, go home, or go blue, I guess!

This might be a silly question, but has anyone been having any issues on SOPHAS with Columbia's supplemental application? The application won't let me move forward without making a selection for the question, "Did you participate in one of the following summer programs?". But there's no option, like 'none', for those of us that didn't participate in any of their summer programs.

It's an optional question - I didn't fill it out.
Ahh it doesn't say 'optional' for me :confused: Not sure what I should do... It won't let me save my responses without answering the question! Do you think it's an issue with SOPHAS?

Undergrad School:
Hospice Volunteer
Laboratory Technician

Special factors

Honors College Grad

Interested in:
Applied:
UMich, Columbia, UPitt
Accepted: University of Michigan Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology (11/18)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
How long ago did you submit for Michigan?

I'm not EmilyGR12 obviously, but we were accepted on the same day, so I hope my answer helps! I submitted SOPHAS on 10/12 and Wolverine Access marked my application as "complete" on 10/26. It also may depend on what track you applied for. I applied for both Hospital & Molecular Epidemiology and General Epidemiology, but have not heard back regarding General Epidemiology.

I need help choosing a 4th school to apply to. I applied to Columbia, Brown, and the University of Washington. I am really interested in social/behavioral sciences type of work in public health, specifically leaning toward women's reproductive health, and health justice. Does anyone have any ideas of other programs that may have what I am looking for? It would be greatly appreciated!

I submitted to SOPHAS on 10/17, my application was verified on 10/20 and University of Michigan received my application on 10/26! I just heard from them on 11/18 so it took about 3 weeks.

I need help choosing a 4th school to apply to. I applied to Columbia, Brown, and the University of Washington. I am really interested in social/behavioral sciences type of work in public health, specifically leaning toward women's reproductive health, and health justice. Does anyone have any ideas of other programs that may have what I am looking for? It would be greatly appreciated!

Check out Minnesota, GWU, Hopkins, and Emory

I heard back from UMich on Friday (11/18) too (General Epi). My last LOR was submitted on 11/11, and my application was considered complete on 11/14. So it's just about a week!! But SOPHAS verified my application on 10/17. Hope that helps:)

I heard back from UMich on Friday (11/18) too (General Epi). My last LOR was submitted on 11/11, and my application was considered complete on 11/14. So it's just about a week!! But SOPHAS verified my application on 10/17. Hope that helps:)

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Congrats to all who have been accepted thus far! My fifth (and final) recommendation letter from my supervisor was submitted earlier today. I have heard from the following schools that my application is complete: Johns Hopkins (MPH & Sc.M), Yale, Columbia, GW, and LSE. Still waiting on: Emory (received update email 11/08), Vanderbilt (silence), Michigan (several back-and-forth communication), and UCLA (silence). Trying to decide whether to add Berkeley before their deadline next Thursday.

Hi! freaking out about apps, so here it goes!

Undergrad School: University of Miami
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3 - Junior & up GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Exercise Physiology with minors in Psychology and Spanish
GRE - 158V/156Q 5.0AW
Experience/Research :
-Undergrad research assistant for 2 years
-Independent student research study for 3 month - paper under publication process
-Ongoing independent research study - to be published spring 2017
-shadowed physical therapist for 3 months
-study abroad one semester lived with host family
-Global Ambassador (work with other exchange/international/abroad kids) at university

Interested in: UCLA, Tulane, UT Houston, Uni Southern California, UMiami, UMD, GWU (all epi/global health)
Applied: UCLA, Tulane, UT Houston, Uni Southern California, UMiami, UMD, GWU (all epi/global health)
Accepted: N/A
Rejected: N/A

Should I add more safety schools? I am worried because my GPA is a bit low, but I should have some good LORs. I also didn't become interested in Public Health until later in my undergrad (thus reason for lack of experience but this is all addressed in my statement of purpose). Let me know what you all think about my chances! :) Good luck everyone!