MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it pretty easy to get internship/summer work at Columbia? Emory looks tempting bc of it's location in Atlanta and ties to the CDC, but I was wondering which was a better option in terms of opportunities.
Also, like I mentioned before, you can still intern or do your practicum through the CDC here in New York.

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting to hear back about financial aid is brutal :boom:

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all,

Someone asked me about how the Core is structured at Columbia and I personally remember how frustrating it was for me last year to see that there were limited resources that explained the setup. The Core varies by the cohort you select, the time you spend in class differs by day, and each week will be slightly different because each studio (class) is divided into modules that begin and end on different dates for each studio. I was in cohort 4 which is the latest one (meaning classes begin later in the day as opposed to cohort 1 which begins at 8:00am each day). I'll attach what my schedule looked like in the first few weeks of the core and what my class schedule looks like now that I'm in my second semester. Note that the later classes are cutoff because I would need to scroll within my calendar to see it, but those classes ended at 6:50pm.

Core Week 2:

Core Week 3:

Core Week 4:

Core Week 5 (Determinants of Health quiz was online and available for 24 hours, so that is why it appears that way):

Semester 2 schedule which stays the same each week for the whole semester:

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting to hear back about financial aid is brutal :boom:

Are you waiting on Columbia? When I was undecided I emailed them and they said we should hear no later than today (though that was two weeks ago-perhaps things have been delayed? Hopefully not!)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! To anyone who has applied to an MPH at GW, how long did it take to get a confirmation from GW that they received your application? I submitted on 3/9 and was verified on 3/14. I'm worried since I haven't received an email yet. Any help would be appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Someone asked me about how the Core is structured at Columbia and I personally remember how frustrating it was for me last year to see that there were limited resources that explained the setup ... I'll attach what my schedule looked like in the first few weeks of the core and what my class schedule looks like now that I'm in my second semester.

so helpful!

Hey all,

Someone asked me about how the Core is structured at Columbia and I personally remember how frustrating it was for me last year to see that there were limited resources that explained the setup. The Core varies by the cohort you select, the time you spend in class differs by day, and each week will be slightly different because each studio (class) is divided into modules that begin and end on different dates for each studio. I was in cohort 4 which is the latest one (meaning classes begin later in the day as opposed to cohort 1 which begins at 8:00am each day). I'll attach what my schedule looked like in the first few weeks of the core and what my class schedule looks like now that I'm in my second semester. Note that the later classes are cutoff because I would need to scroll within my calendar to see it, but those classes ended at 6:50pm.

Core Week 2:

Core Week 3:

Core Week 4:

Core Week 5 (Determinants of Health quiz was online and available for 24 hours, so that is why it appears that way):

Thank you so so so much for this! I submitted my deposit for Columbia yesterday, but this has been one of the things that has been nagging at the back of my mind. It is so truly appreciated!

Hey all,

Core Week 2:

Core Week 3:

Core Week 4:

Wow, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you!!!

Ultimately, do you feel like the setup of the Core has been a true advantage for you?

Wow, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you!!!

Ultimately, do you feel like the setup of the Core has been a true advantage for you?
Yes, I think so! For example, the Health Systems studio is split into three modules: Health Economics, US Public Health and Health Systems, then Comparative Health Systems. I liked this particular studio because it made sense to first learn the way our own healthcare system operates and then delve into a comparison of our health system and that of other nations.

Overall, the core was especially useful to me because my background is in economics and programming, therefore, prior to beginning my studies at Columbia, my understanding of public health was extremely limited. Other students who have a prior degree in global health or public health felt they were redoing their bachelor's and I can understand that frustration.

Reactions: 1 users
It's extremely easy to find a job/internship/practicum in New York City. Ridiculously easy. Right now, I'm a tutor at the undergrad campus, also working as a programmer assisting a researcher on the medical campus, and I'm doing my practicum now at the New York City Department of Health. There are so many opportunities here that the most difficult part of the job search is telling myself I can't do everything haha
This is encouraging! I was accepted into Global Health, do you think Columbia has a good program for that?

Thank you so so so much for this! I submitted my deposit for Columbia yesterday, but this has been one of the things that has been nagging at the back of my mind. It is so truly appreciated!
Did Columbia offer you half tuition as merit or as need based aid?

Are you waiting on Columbia? When I was undecided I emailed them and they said we should hear no later than today (though that was two weeks ago-perhaps things have been delayed? Hopefully not!)
I still haven't heard back about fin aid :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about financial aid from Columbia yet?

i'm still waiting for columbia's financial aid email. I don't think we'll be hearing back today.

Harvard told me Monday the 20th is when MPH aid will be sent out

I got my financial aid package from Columbia. $5000 worth of need-based aid. The package doesn't even cover fees - just tuition. Unless the law school is far more generous (unlikely), I think it is safe to say, I won't be attending.

I got my financial aid package from Columbia, but I haven't opened it. The letter is addressed to someone with a totally different address than me (not even the right state!). I'm wondering if this is even meant for me? Lol.

Got my financial aid from Columbia, and I didn't get anything at all! I really wanted to attend, but made the choice to decline their offer because my other options are more affordable.

I hope this opens up a spot for someone waitlisted for Sociomedical Sciences :)

I got my financial aid package from Columbia, but I haven't opened it. The letter is addressed to someone with a totally different address than me (not even the right state!). I'm wondering if this is even meant for me? Lol.
The same thing happened with me. It was a New York address.

Got a student loans only package from Columbia. Means I likely won't be attending.

Dartmouth is the real front runner right now, since it's one year and they offered a merit scholarship worth 15K.

Still waiting to hear back on some financial aid and decisions though, so not set in stone.

Accepted to Rutgers (3/17) via mail.

did you get a physical letter in the mail? i thought they were emailing us.

$5 need from Columbia, which makes it $28k more expensive than Yale for me.

Last edited:
Those who received financial aid from Columbia, did you all get an email or it was updated on the portal or physical letter in the mail? I haven't received anything. Does that mean I did not get one?

did you get a physical letter in the mail? i thought they were emailing us.

Emailed to go to a portal-the letter on the portal had my address as some NYC address. Kinda sloppy. They sent out an email an hour or so later rescinding the NYC address.

Hi! First time poster here.
I'm about to graduate from undergrad this upcoming April/May. I was going to apply to MPH programs for this upcoming fall but chickened out. My GPA is at about a 2.8-2.9 and my major GPAs are close to 2.5 (Biology how I hate you) and 3.2 (Political Science). My GRE scores were both 152 and writing was a 3-3.5. I haven't gotten around to getting to much experience but this is something I'm super passionate about.
What have been experiences of people with lower GPAs? I'm sorry there were so many pages on the thread I didn't get to!

I was just as scared as you are, my GPA is also ~2.9 due to my slacking freshman and sophomore year. One thing to remember is the upper/lower division GPA on SOPHAS, my lower was 2.4 and my upper was around 3.4... this matters. They realize gen eds and getting used to college is reflected in your cumulative GPA. Also, my GREs are very similar except I got a 5 on AW, first time I got a 3. Watch the Magoosh GRE prep videos for AW they are so incredibly helpful, and take it again if you can. KILL the personal statement, dive deep and get passionate. Get it edited and edited and get advice and advice, mine was 6 weeks in the making and came out really strong especially since I explained my mediocre GPA. I got into GW MPH in Nutrition (switching to Child and Maternal Health) and I'm waiting on BU, Tulane and U Minnesota. Someone else on this thread with a similar GPA got into BU so I'm hopeful, visited GW yesterday and the campus and faculty were so awesome. Apply anyway you might be surprised!

Has anyone going to GW heard about awarded loans from financial aid yet? I'm worried if I don't get any money that I can't attend

Not yet, I visited yesterday and spoke with one of the faculty members of my program, she said other than merit aid and loans, GA and RA positions both offer tuition reimbursement, so I'm thinking about applying for an RA position as soon as the current RAs graduate, it offers a place to live which I think is the worst expense compared to tuition.

I got $19K from Columbia (merit-based)! The rest are Federal loans. Package was sent via two emails. The first email had a wrong address and the second email had the same award package with the address removed. Will call them on Monday to see if the email was meant for me.

Also got $5K from Rollins Earn and Learn Award - the rest are Federal loans.

Reactions: 2 users
This is encouraging! I was accepted into Global Health, do you think Columbia has a good program for that?
I'm in epi, not global health so I really don't know. I would use LinkedIn to contact someone who is studying or studied global health at Columbia Mailman to see what their experience was like.

Just found out that I've been awarded a Sommer Scholarship at Hopkins! Full tuition +23k Stipend. I am about 99% sure I'm picking Bloomberg.

Reactions: 14 users
Hey guys,

I am in quite a dilemma and would love some advice. I am interested in a masters but would eventually want to go for a phd. I am passionate about the field of public health, immunology and infectious disease. This past year I applied to many international programs (thinking i would never get in) and got accepted into University of Copenhagen's Inflammation and Immunology masters program. After applying I also landed a job working for the center for infectious disease research (where I am currently working at). These are my stats:

College: University of Washington
Major: double major BS biochemistry and microbiology
GPA: 3.23
GRE: haven't taken them yet
Experience:
2.5 years as undergrad researcher at a molecular biology lab at UW
4 month long NIH research fellowship which placed me in a infectious disease lab in Costa Rica
6 months as a medical scribe
current research assistant at Center for infectious disease research

My problem basically is that I would love to apply for UC berkeley's MPH program in infectious disease and vaccinology but don't know if my GPA will keep me from getting in. And so I am wondering whether I should just accept University of Copenhagen's offer (they wont let me defer). I also love my current job and I want to give it at least a year so leaving for Denmark this year would keep me from really getting anything out of it. I would love some advice I just currently feel that my GPA will keep me from getting into any MPH program in the states so maybe University of Copenhagen is my only chance at getting a masters.

Hey, idk anything specific about UCB, but your GPA is not so low that you should sell yourself short on ever getting into competitive MPH programs in the states. Biochem and Micro are difficult majors, especially at a respectable place like UW. And it seems like you have some solid related experience and could get good letters of rec from them. If you take a year or more at your current job, study to get a good quant GRE score, and write a strong SOP, I think you could get into most programs. I think your instinct to turn down University of Copenhagen's offer is the right call.

I got $19K from Columbia (merit-based)! The rest are Federal loans. Package was sent via two emails. The first email had a wrong address and the second email had the same award package with the address removed. Will call them on Monday to see if the email was meant for me.

Also got $5K from Rollins Earn and Learn Award - the rest are Federal loans.
Was the part about the merit scholarship included in your acceptance letter?

I was just wondering what exactly you need to do to get an admission rescinded. I'm thinking I may go from almost straight A's to a mix of A's and B's this semester because of a heavy course load. Would this be a problem?

I guess Emory wasn't finished loading financial aid when I looked at it last. Just looked again and found out I was nominated for a Rollins Pathway Scholarship! 8,000 over four semesters. It's exactly what I needed to make this possible!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey, idk anything specific about UCB, but your GPA is not so low that you should sell yourself short on ever getting into competitive MPH programs in the states. Biochem and Micro are difficult majors, especially at a respectable place like UW. And it seems like you have some solid related experience and could get good letters of rec from them. If you take a year or more at your current job, study to get a good quant GRE score, and write a strong SOP, I think you could get into most programs. I think your instinct to turn down University of Copenhagen's offer is the right call.

Thanks! I really needed to hear that.

I was just wondering what exactly you need to do to get an admission rescinded. I'm thinking I may go from almost straight A's to a mix of A's and B's this semester because of a heavy course load. Would this be a problem?
I think it takes wayyy more than that to have an offer rescinded. Like suddenly failing a course.

Is it common for financial aid awards to only offer loans/grants for tuition? My award summary for Emory is exactly enough to cover tuition, but not books and other living expenses. Am I expected to look into private loans?

I guess Emory wasn't finished loading financial aid when I looked at it last. Just looked again and found out I was nominated for a Rollins Pathway Scholarship! 8,000 over four semesters. It's exactly what I needed to make this possible!
Congrats! When did you apply for FAFSA? And, were you also awarded the REAL?

Is it common for financial aid awards to only offer loans/grants for tuition? My award summary for Emory is exactly enough to cover tuition, but not books and other living expenses. Am I expected to look into private loans?
Yeah, that's the norm. If your situation necessitates the use of student loans to pay for living expenses, then you will likely need to look into private loans.

Yeah, that's the norm. If your situation necessitates the use of student loans to pay for living expenses, then you will likely need to look into private loans.

Grad Plus loans are also an option, especially if your credit isn't good enough to get a competitive interest rate on a private loan (I had zero credit when I started grad school). If you can get a decent paying job that may help cut back on the amount of extra loans you need to take out.

Got my first acceptance letter from NYU public health nutrition with 20k scholarship :D
I needed some information. Does NYU allow international students to work off campus? Even though I have my family to support me, I am curious about what job opportunities a student may have if they want to work part time.