MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure I saw something about this a while ago but I can't find it, does anyone know when GWU sends out financial aid packages?

Members don't see this ad.

Im looking deeply into Penn and looks like theres no funding due to small program....feeling a bit down bc of potential loan burdens. Is it common for most grad students to drown in loans? :(

Not too keen on Columbia or Emory bc of their large cohorts

Last edited:
How have people been dressing for accepted students days? I hadn't really thought about it until it was mentioned on here a few weeks ago and I'm not so sure what to plan for. I'll be taking a red-eye and going straight to Columbia from the airport so I'm getting nervous about all the little things!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard back from UCLA recently? Sukhwinder replied that the school-wide committee was reviewing my app on 3.10.17, and would probably have a decision to me before the end of March. I emailed the graduate department @ [email protected] for an update and am waiting for a response

How have people been dressing for accepted students days? I hadn't really thought about it until it was mentioned on here a few weeks ago and I'm not so sure what to plan for. I'll be taking a red-eye and going straight to Columbia from the airport so I'm getting nervous about all the little things!
For Columbia's, I wore a sweater dress with heavy tights and boots because it was cold. There was a range of outfits but business casual seemed to be the norm.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure I saw something about this a while ago but I can't find it, does anyone know when GWU sends out financial aid packages?

This morning I was told they'd send out estimated award letters by the end of this week...fingers crossed!

Does anyone know what the schedule of Columbia's admitted students day looks like?? (Possibly from the March 3rd one) I am attending on 3/31, and I need to plan ahead on my plane tickets and hotel reservation. Thank you.

Does anyone know what the schedule of Columbia's admitted students day looks like?? (Possibly from the March 3rd one) I am attending on 3/31, and I need to plan ahead on my plane tickets and hotel reservation. Thank you.

Here's the schedule from 3/3 :)

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    111.2 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: 2 users
Declined Johns Hopkins and Boston just now, to help those who are waitlisted! One step closer to making a decision!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my first acceptance letter from NYU public health nutrition with 20k scholarship :D
I needed some information. Does NYU allow international students to work off campus? Even though I have my family to support me, I am curious about what job opportunities a student may have if they want to work part time.

Congrats I also was accepted into NYU! Are you talking about working on or off campus? The program is set up so you can easily have a part time job, and you can find help with career services to find some of those opportunities! As far as on campus I've heard that you don't have to have work study to work on campus so there are a lot of opportunities to work while in the program. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats I also was accepted into NYU! Are you talking about working on or off campus? The program is set up so you can easily have a part time job, and you can find help with career services to find some of those opportunities! As far as on campus I've heard that you don't have to have work study to work on campus so there are a lot of opportunities to work while in the program. Hope that helps!

Thank you and congratulations to you too.
I was asking about working off campus.

Due to the weather and a terrible AirBnb situation, I showed up to Drexel looking like a drowned rat and carrying 2 completely stuffed backpacks. I was embarrassed about this until I noticed how casual everyone else was dressing. The crowd skewed young (most people still in undergrad), so I think that's why jeans & hoodies were common. I am glad I went for business casual (chinos + collared shirt + leather shoes) and would wear a similar outfit at a more prestigious school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope Harvard sends FinAid today like they told me they would. Been refreshing my email all day!

Was the part about the merit scholarship included in your acceptance letter?

No, I didn't get any notice about the scholarship in my acceptance letter. It was just an email that came this past Friday notifying me of my award package.

So, I just got off the phone with Harvard FinAid and they are still planning to have FinAid packages out by today. BUT they said the CGS scholarships (the ones in the drop down menu on the app that were specific and had names) Will be finalized on March 29th. SO if you do not get as much aid as you hoped today, there is still a shot you got one of those (if you selected them as relevant)!

So, I just got off the phone with Harvard FinAid and they are still planning to have FinAid packages out by today. BUT they said the CGS scholarships (the ones in the drop down menu on the app that were specific and had names) Will be finalized on March 29th. SO if you do not get as much aid as you hoped today, there is still a shot you got one of those (if you selected them as relevant)!
Interesting. I'm just going to assume all loans for today and hope for scholarships later, then.

It's casual at Columbia

Interesting. I'm just going to assume all loans for today and hope for scholarships later, then.

So I'm a bit confused by this. I'm a medical student, and essentially they give us all the money we need to live from various funding sources. Harvard is offering me $33k in federal loans which appears to be the max. I've received nothing else beyond that. I assumed they would offer other loans to make ends meet. Is this not how its done? What I mean is, do they expect students to just find their own funding beyond this offer?

So I'm a bit confused by this. I'm a medical student, and essentially they give us all the money we need to live from various funding sources. Harvard is offering me $33k in federal loans which appears to be the max. I've received nothing else beyond that. I assumed they would offer other loans to make ends meet. Is this not how its done? What I mean is, do they expect students to just find their own funding beyond this offer?
Federal Graduate PLUS loans will cover the rest of the cost of attendance, but you'll need to apply separately for that and pass a (very simple) credit check. The application for this isn't available yet but it will be on studentloans.gov in a month or two.

Federal Graduate PLUS loans will cover the rest of the cost of attendance, but you'll need to apply separately for that and pass a (very simple) credit check. The application for this isn't available yet but it will be on studentloans.gov in a month or two.
Yes, I just read about these. My current school does it now for us, so this was new for me. Crisis averted though, I thought we had to pay rest out pocket. Thanks!

33K loans and 4.5K WS for first year at Harvard. Reallllly hoping to hear good news about the other merit scholarships they offer in the next 10 days.

33K loans and 4.5K WS for first year at Harvard. Reallllly hoping to hear good news about the other merit scholarships they offer in the next 10 days.

When did you guys get your notifications about aid? Still waiting.... I'm wondering if it's different for me since I would start in January?

Undergrad School: Big 10
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.57
Major/Minor: Microbiology/Spanish
GRE (I took it on a whim and did not study): 155/155/4.0
Experience/Research: Extensive clinical laboratory experience as well as extensive campus public health leadership and involvement. Various positions of leadership across campus such as student groups and fraternity.
Special factors: My unique experience in clinical infectious diseases, public health, and management positions and LORs (1 major professor, 1 mentor/national public health expert, 1 director of public health for my large university, 1 assistant dean of my college)

Interested in: Environmental Health, specifically programs with direct emphasis in Infectious Diseases
Applied: GWU, BU, UIC, UMN, Tulane (I applied to all at the last minute - 3/13/17)
Accepted: UIC (traineeship and research opp. 3/17), GWU (+$, 3/20), Tulane, Minnesota
Rejected: None
Waitlisted: None
Attending: UIC!!! Happy to be going home to Chicago, broadening my network, doing research, and practically making money on the experience

Last edited:
25% tuition merit aid + unsubsidized loans from Harvard. Way more than I expected from them! Anxiously awaiting their decision on the named scholarships...as others mentioned, decisions on those are coming out around 3/29.

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected from Hopkins 1 year MPH program.

Does anyone feel like they have been able to come to an answer on the question about top ranked school vs. smaller state program? I have 5 years of public health policy experience and am currently deciding between Yale MPH for health policy and a MPH at one of my state schools, University of Virginia or Virginia Commonwealth University. I think I want to work in the VA/DC area so i'm not sure the connections I would make at Yale would be worth it-- Plus the difference in price tag. Any advice is appreciated!

Rejected from Hopkins 1 year MPH program.

Does anyone feel like they have been able to come to an answer on the question about top ranked school vs. smaller state program? I have 5 years of public health policy experience and am currently deciding between Yale MPH for health policy and a MPH at one of my state schools, University of Virginia or Virginia Commonwealth University. I think I want to work in the VA/DC area so i'm not sure the connections I would make at Yale would be worth it-- Plus the difference in price tag. Any advice is appreciated!

I went to UVa undergrad and took many classes in the dept of PH alongside MPH students. The program, although on the newer side, seems to be doing very well, and the professors are all very passionate and make themselves available for students. I did not apply because I wanted a change of pace, but I know some people who have done their MPH at UVa that would be happy to answer Qs about the program. You can PM me

25% tuition merit aid + unsubsidized loans from Harvard. Way more than I expected from them! Anxiously awaiting their decision on the named scholarships...as others mentioned, decisions on those are coming out around 3/29.

Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, was the merit aid demarcated as one of the CGS specific funding sources?

When did you guys get your notifications about aid? Still waiting.... I'm wondering if it's different for me since I would start in January?
I'm with you. Still waiting but perhaps it is because we start in the second semester...

Guys, I think I got a 50% tuition scholarship to Harvard! I'm going to call and make sure but this is the message in my fin aid portal "Congratulations! The MPH Program has selected you to receive a scholarship for 2017 -18 based on your academic excellence and financial need. It is for 1 and 1/2 academic years and is intended to cover 1/2 tuition per academic year only."

Reactions: 5 users
Guys, I think I got a 50% tuition scholarship to Harvard! I'm going to call and make sure but this is the message in my fin aid portal "Congratulations! The MPH Program has selected you to receive a scholarship for 2017 -18 based on your academic excellence and financial need. It is for 1 and 1/2 academic years and is intended to cover 1/2 tuition per academic year only."
Congrats!!!!! Was this a separate email?

Congrats!!!!! Was this a separate email?
It was in my original financial aid email & on the portal. It seems that if I get one of those scholarships that they are releasing later, it will decrease my central scholarship by an equal amount, though.

It was in my original financial aid email & on the portal. It seems that if I get one of those scholarships that they are releasing later, it will decrease my central scholarship by an equal amount, though.
I'm not sure that this is true actually. I received a full tuition scholarship yesterday and the email said "If you have received previous funding offers from the MPH Program, please note that in most cases this scholarship supersedes, and thus does NOT supplement, any earlier awards (not including loans)."

Since it specified "previous funding offers/any earlier awards," I'm not sure that the named awards qualify since they haven't been released yet. I get the sense that the Harvard Committee on General Scholarships makes a determination for scholarships that is separate from the awards given directly from academic departments. I didn't call the office so this is just speculation, but I'd like to think that there's still hope for more funding next week!

I'm not sure that this is true actually. I received a full tuition scholarship yesterday and the email said "If you have received previous funding offers from the MPH Program, please note that in most cases this scholarship supersedes, and thus does NOT supplement, any earlier awards (not including loans)."

Since it specified "previous funding offers/any earlier awards," I'm not sure that the named awards qualify since they haven't been released yet. I get the sense that the Harvard Committee on General Scholarships makes a determination for scholarships that is separate from the awards given directly from academic departments. I didn't call the office so this is just speculation, but I'd like to think that there's still hope for more funding next week!

I'm basing my assumption on this wording: "Any additional financial aid awarded for the purpose of covering tuition and fees may directly reduce the award amount offered." & "Should it be determined at a later point that you meet a restriction for a specific scholarship/grant, a funding swap will occur and you will be notified at such time." I really have no clue now that I read it again. I'll ask when I speak with the Fin. Aid office. No complaints if I can get more aid, haha.

Last edited:
I'm basing my assumption on this wording: "Any additional financial aid awarded for the purpose of covering tuition and fees may directly reduce the award amount offered." & "Should it be determined at a later point that you meet a restriction for a specific scholarship/grant, a funding swap will occur and you will be notified at such time." I really have no clue now that I read it again. I'll ask when I speak with the Fin. Aid office. No complaints if I can get more aid, haha.
It sounds like we got two different emails then since mine didn't say that haha I assumed we all received similar emails but I think I'm mistaken. Sorry about that!

Did anyone else not receive a financial aid survey from Columbia?

Hate to be this guy but..... everyone talking about their financial aid situation for every school offering a mph program is really diluting this thread. Start a financial aid thread

Reactions: 2 users
Alright: Columbia or Emory? I'm in for Global public health at both programs, and I didn't get money from either.

BU vs Yale?
I had basically decided that I would attend BU, but I just received a merit/financial aid grant award combo that is the equivalent to over 50% tuition at Yale. Yale and BU are now very close financially. The programs are SO DIFFERENT that I am struggling to make a decision. I am very interested in infectious diseases, and Yale has a very specific/unique Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases program with wet laboratory opportunities that overall aligns with my interests (I am coming from a bachelor's degree in Microbiology and Immunology). BU would provide a more well rounded public health education with their core and certificates. I would get certificates in Epidemiology/Biostatistics and Infectious Disease at BU. BU has a higher ranking in Public Health, but Yale has the Ivy League. Yale's program is unique in infectious disease epidemiology programs for having laboratory work, and I am wondering if this changes job opportunities after graduation. I am not sure if the broad public health core or very specific infectious disease epi + lab training would be more beneficial when finding a job. I am hoping to work/practice public health after completing my degree rather than continue on to more school or stay in academia. I feel as though there are more opportunities in Boston than in New Haven during my enrollment. Yale's program is also very small, which has pros and cons. Does anybody have any insight that could help in my decision?

Last edited:
Harvard MPH (Global Health) vs Hopkins MSPH (International Health, Health Systems) vs Emory (Global Health)? Got a tad bit of $ at Emory but otherwise, no $ :-/

BU vs Yale?
I had basically decided that I would attend BU, but I just received a merit/financial aid grant award combo that is the equivalent to over 50% tuition at Yale. Yale and BU are now very close financially. The programs are SO DIFFERENT that I am struggling to make a decision. I am very interested in infectious diseases, and Yale has a very specific/unique Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases program with wet laboratory opportunities that overall aligns with my interests (I am coming from a bachelor's degree in Microbiology and Immunology). BU would provide a more well rounded public health education with their core and certificates. I would get certificates in Epidemiology/Biostatistics and Infectious Disease at BU. BU has a higher ranking in Public Health, but Yale has the Ivy League. Yale's program is unique in infectious disease epidemiology programs for having laboratory work, and I am wondering if this changes job opportunities after graduation. I am not sure if the broad public health core or very specific infectious disease epi + lab training would be more beneficial when finding a job. I am hoping to work/practice public health after completing my degree rather than continue on to more school or stay in academia. I feel as though there are more opportunities in Boston than in New Haven during my enrollment. Yale's program is also very small, which has pros and cons. Does anybody have any insight that could help in my decision?

Just based on what you wrote it seems like BU is the best choice for you. I think Yale seems like an extension of your undergrad experiences when really what you're looking for is a broad introduction to public health and a network that connects you outside of academia. Don't be swayed by the Ivy name; BU is a bigger player in public health practice and the Boston network is hard to break into from the outside. You'll get a greater diversity of experiences at BU than at Yale, based on what you say you will focus on at each school. This experience will introduce you to a greater network of people and build a broader range of skills that will make you more competitive for a range of jobs. Since you know you don't want to continue with academia, this seems more important than building laboratory experience at Yale-- a better opportunity for someone hoping to move onto a PhD right after graduation.

Did anyone hear back from NYMC yet? I applied for health policy and management. It was verified on feb 21. Should I mail them inquiring about the status of my application?