MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by yorietran, Aug 18, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mpEHch

mpEHch

Nov 25, 2015
    That's amazing, congratulations!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bt33991

bt33991

Jan 8, 2017
    I was just wondering what exactly you need to do to get an admission rescinded. I'm thinking I may go from almost straight A's to a mix of A's and B's this semester because of a heavy course load. Would this be a problem?

4. JaneReacher

JaneReacher

Nov 18, 2016
    Thank you! :)

Thanks! I got an e-mail.

dentist06 likes this.
  5. boomer2017

boomer2017

Dec 23, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I guess Emory wasn't finished loading financial aid when I looked at it last. Just looked again and found out I was nominated for a Rollins Pathway Scholarship! 8,000 over four semesters. It's exactly what I needed to make this possible!

cturtle89, xyz-lmnop, MHSA19 and 4 others like this.
  6. leela_123

leela_123

Mar 18, 2017
    Thanks! I really needed to hear that.

7. amm13d

amm13d

Nov 14, 2015
    I think it takes wayyy more than that to have an offer rescinded. Like suddenly failing a course.

xyz-lmnop likes this.
  8. novem

novem

Feb 10, 2017
    Is it common for financial aid awards to only offer loans/grants for tuition? My award summary for Emory is exactly enough to cover tuition, but not books and other living expenses. Am I expected to look into private loans?

9. semai

semai

Mar 27, 2015
    Congrats! When did you apply for FAFSA? And, were you also awarded the REAL?

10. amm13d

amm13d

Nov 14, 2015
    Yeah, that's the norm. If your situation necessitates the use of student loans to pay for living expenses, then you will likely need to look into private loans.

11. Pudu2009

Pudu2009 Tiniest deer 2+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Grad Plus loans are also an option, especially if your credit isn't good enough to get a competitive interest rate on a private loan (I had zero credit when I started grad school). If you can get a decent paying job that may help cut back on the amount of extra loans you need to take out.

12. dentist06

dentist06

Feb 4, 2017
    Got my first acceptance letter from NYU public health nutrition with 20k scholarship :D
    I needed some information. Does NYU allow international students to work off campus? Even though I have my family to support me, I am curious about what job opportunities a student may have if they want to work part time.

Nine Co and JaneReacher like this.
  13. boomer2017

boomer2017

Dec 23, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thank you! I filled out my FAFSA back in October and was awarded the REAL on 3/16.

14. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    I'm pretty sure I saw something about this a while ago but I can't find it, does anyone know when GWU sends out financial aid packages?

15. MPHer234

MPHer234

Dec 22, 2016
    Im looking deeply into Penn and looks like theres no funding due to small program....feeling a bit down bc of potential loan burdens. Is it common for most grad students to drown in loans? :(

Not too keen on Columbia or Emory bc of their large cohorts

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  16. xyz-lmnop

xyz-lmnop

Jan 23, 2017
    How have people been dressing for accepted students days? I hadn't really thought about it until it was mentioned on here a few weeks ago and I'm not so sure what to plan for. I'll be taking a red-eye and going straight to Columbia from the airport so I'm getting nervous about all the little things!

17. sokapheapluuh

sokapheapluuh

Nov 29, 2016
    For Columbia's, I wore a sweater dress with heavy tights and boots because it was cold. There was a range of outfits but business casual seemed to be the norm.

xyz-lmnop likes this.
  18. MPHopeful93

MPHopeful93

Jan 11, 2017
    This morning I was told they'd send out estimated award letters by the end of this week...fingers crossed!

charcharr13 likes this.
  19. casew

casew

Feb 3, 2017
    Does anyone know what the schedule of Columbia's admitted students day looks like?? (Possibly from the March 3rd one) I am attending on 3/31, and I need to plan ahead on my plane tickets and hotel reservation. Thank you.

20. LDK92

LDK92

May 19, 2016
    Boston, MA
    Here's the schedule from 3/3 :)

Attached Files:

• 1.pdf
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
    casew, sokapheapluuh and xyz-lmnop like this.
  21. casew

casew

Feb 3, 2017
    Thank you so much!!

22. sev321

sev321

Sep 12, 2016
    Declined Johns Hopkins and Boston just now, to help those who are waitlisted! One step closer to making a decision!

23. charcharr13

charcharr13

Jan 31, 2017
    NY
    Congrats I also was accepted into NYU! Are you talking about working on or off campus? The program is set up so you can easily have a part time job, and you can find help with career services to find some of those opportunities! As far as on campus I've heard that you don't have to have work study to work on campus so there are a lot of opportunities to work while in the program. Hope that helps!

Nine Co and dentist06 like this.
  24. dentist06

dentist06

Feb 4, 2017
    Thank you and congratulations to you too.
    I was asking about working off campus.

25. wwmmkk

wwmmkk

May 21, 2016
    Due to the weather and a terrible AirBnb situation, I showed up to Drexel looking like a drowned rat and carrying 2 completely stuffed backpacks. I was embarrassed about this until I noticed how casual everyone else was dressing. The crowd skewed young (most people still in undergrad), so I think that's why jeans & hoodies were common. I am glad I went for business casual (chinos + collared shirt + leather shoes) and would wear a similar outfit at a more prestigious school as well.

xyz-lmnop likes this.
  26. HowCavalier

HowCavalier 2+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I really hope Harvard sends FinAid today like they told me they would. Been refreshing my email all day!

late_apply and GoHeels! like this.
  27. jmc525

jmc525

Feb 8, 2017
    No, I didn't get any notice about the scholarship in my acceptance letter. It was just an email that came this past Friday notifying me of my award package.

28. HowCavalier

Jul 9, 2013
    So, I just got off the phone with Harvard FinAid and they are still planning to have FinAid packages out by today. BUT they said the CGS scholarships (the ones in the drop down menu on the app that were specific and had names) Will be finalized on March 29th. SO if you do not get as much aid as you hoped today, there is still a shot you got one of those (if you selected them as relevant)!

late_apply and GoHeels! like this.
  29. GoHeels!

GoHeels!

Dec 10, 2016
    Interesting. I'm just going to assume all loans for today and hope for scholarships later, then.

late_apply and HowCavalier like this.
  30. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016

Thanks!

31. amm13d

amm13d

Nov 14, 2015
    It's casual at Columbia

32. bpilgrim23

bpilgrim23

Feb 18, 2017
    So I'm a bit confused by this. I'm a medical student, and essentially they give us all the money we need to live from various funding sources. Harvard is offering me $33k in federal loans which appears to be the max. I've received nothing else beyond that. I assumed they would offer other loans to make ends meet. Is this not how its done? What I mean is, do they expect students to just find their own funding beyond this offer?

33. 123publichealth

123publichealth

Jan 11, 2017
    yeah I got all loans from columbia...not doable

34. TheNietzsche

TheNietzsche

Aug 25, 2015
    Federal Graduate PLUS loans will cover the rest of the cost of attendance, but you'll need to apply separately for that and pass a (very simple) credit check. The application for this isn't available yet but it will be on studentloans.gov in a month or two.

HowCavalier likes this.
  35. bpilgrim23

bpilgrim23

Feb 18, 2017
    Yes, I just read about these. My current school does it now for us, so this was new for me. Crisis averted though, I thought we had to pay rest out pocket. Thanks!

36. HowCavalier

Jul 9, 2013
    33K loans and 4.5K WS for first year at Harvard. Reallllly hoping to hear good news about the other merit scholarships they offer in the next 10 days.

37. GoHeels!

GoHeels!

Dec 10, 2016
    When did you guys get your notifications about aid? Still waiting.... I'm wondering if it's different for me since I would start in January?

38. RoosterAtom

RoosterAtom

Mar 20, 2017
    Undergrad School: Big 10
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.57
    Major/Minor: Microbiology/Spanish
    GRE (I took it on a whim and did not study): 155/155/4.0
    Experience/Research: Extensive clinical laboratory experience as well as extensive campus public health leadership and involvement. Various positions of leadership across campus such as student groups and fraternity.
    Special factors: My unique experience in clinical infectious diseases, public health, and management positions and LORs (1 major professor, 1 mentor/national public health expert, 1 director of public health for my large university, 1 assistant dean of my college)

Interested in: Environmental Health, specifically programs with direct emphasis in Infectious Diseases
    Applied: GWU, BU, UIC, UMN, Tulane (I applied to all at the last minute - 3/13/17)
    Accepted: UIC (traineeship and research opp. 3/17), GWU (+$, 3/20), Tulane, Minnesota
    Rejected: None
    Waitlisted: None
    Attending: UIC!!! Happy to be going home to Chicago, broadening my network, doing research, and practically making money on the experience

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  39. ellb39

ellb39

Feb 7, 2017
    25% tuition merit aid + unsubsidized loans from Harvard. Way more than I expected from them! Anxiously awaiting their decision on the named scholarships...as others mentioned, decisions on those are coming out around 3/29.

40. wonkette7

wonkette7

Feb 20, 2017
    Rejected from Hopkins 1 year MPH program.

Does anyone feel like they have been able to come to an answer on the question about top ranked school vs. smaller state program? I have 5 years of public health policy experience and am currently deciding between Yale MPH for health policy and a MPH at one of my state schools, University of Virginia or Virginia Commonwealth University. I think I want to work in the VA/DC area so i'm not sure the connections I would make at Yale would be worth it-- Plus the difference in price tag. Any advice is appreciated!

41. HowCavalier

Jul 9, 2013
    I went to UVa undergrad and took many classes in the dept of PH alongside MPH students. The program, although on the newer side, seems to be doing very well, and the professors are all very passionate and make themselves available for students. I did not apply because I wanted a change of pace, but I know some people who have done their MPH at UVa that would be happy to answer Qs about the program. You can PM me

42. HowCavalier

Jul 9, 2013
    Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, was the merit aid demarcated as one of the CGS specific funding sources?

43. bpilgrim23

bpilgrim23

Feb 18, 2017
    I got mine last night ~7PM.

HowCavalier and GoHeels! like this.
  44. HowCavalier

Jul 9, 2013
    Same as @bpilgrim23

45. late_apply

late_apply

Jan 5, 2017
    I'm with you. Still waiting but perhaps it is because we start in the second semester...

46. GoHeels!

GoHeels!

Dec 10, 2016
    Guys, I think I got a 50% tuition scholarship to Harvard! I'm going to call and make sure but this is the message in my fin aid portal "Congratulations! The MPH Program has selected you to receive a scholarship for 2017 -18 based on your academic excellence and financial need. It is for 1 and 1/2 academic years and is intended to cover 1/2 tuition per academic year only."

mpEHch, ellb39, amm13d and 2 others like this.
  47. JaneReacher

JaneReacher

Nov 18, 2016
    Anyone still waiting on Harvard's HPM or Yale Chronic Disease Epi?

48. HowCavalier

Jul 9, 2013
    Congrats!!!!! Was this a separate email?

49. GoHeels!

GoHeels!

Dec 10, 2016
    It was in my original financial aid email & on the portal. It seems that if I get one of those scholarships that they are releasing later, it will decrease my central scholarship by an equal amount, though.

HowCavalier likes this.
  50. tennislover1989

tennislover1989 2+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2015
    I'm not sure that this is true actually. I received a full tuition scholarship yesterday and the email said "If you have received previous funding offers from the MPH Program, please note that in most cases this scholarship supersedes, and thus does NOT supplement, any earlier awards (not including loans)."

Since it specified "previous funding offers/any earlier awards," I'm not sure that the named awards qualify since they haven't been released yet. I get the sense that the Harvard Committee on General Scholarships makes a determination for scholarships that is separate from the awards given directly from academic departments. I didn't call the office so this is just speculation, but I'd like to think that there's still hope for more funding next week!