MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone hear back from NYMC yet? I applied for health policy and management. It was verified on feb 21. Should I mail them inquiring about the status of my application?

I applied there November 22nd or sometime around there, and was accepted December 15th. They admit for spring & summer terms as well so it would make sense that it's taking a little time for them to get to applications for fall. But I think if you don't hear back by the end of this week, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about when they'll release more decisions. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
BU vs Yale?
I had basically decided that I would attend BU, but I just received a merit/financial aid grant award combo that is the equivalent to over 50% tuition at Yale. Yale and BU are now very close financially. The programs are SO DIFFERENT that I am struggling to make a decision. I am very interested in infectious diseases, and Yale has a very specific/unique Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases program with wet laboratory opportunities that overall aligns with my interests (I am coming from a bachelor's degree in Microbiology and Immunology). BU would provide a more well rounded public health education with their core and certificates. I would get certificates in Epidemiology/Biostatistics and Infectious Disease at BU. BU has a higher ranking in Public Health, but Yale has the Ivy League. Yale's program is unique in infectious disease epidemiology programs for having laboratory work, and I am wondering if this changes job opportunities after graduation. I am not sure if the broad public health core or very specific infectious disease epi + lab training would be more beneficial when finding a job. I am hoping to work/practice public health after completing my degree rather than continue on to more school or stay in academia. I feel as though there are more opportunities in Boston than in New Haven during my enrollment. Yale's program is also very small, which has pros and cons. Does anybody have any insight that could help in my decision?
I don't know much about either so take this with a grain of salt, but I do know that while it's tempting to look at "status" as a big-picture thing, remember that public health is its own field and professionals within it will have their own mental rankings of PH schools. The only way that Yale would "look" better than BU is when you're telling non-PH people where you go to school and you want to impress them ;) To me that wouldn't be worth it, but ultimately it's your decision and I don't think you can go wrong!

I don't know much about either so take this with a grain of salt, but I do know that while it's tempting to look at "status" as a big-picture thing, remember that public health is its own field and professionals within it will have their own mental rankings of PH schools. The only way that Yale would "look" better than BU is when you're telling non-PH people where you go to school and you want to impress them ;) To me that wouldn't be worth it, but ultimately it's your decision and I don't think you can go wrong!
Do you think that folks within the PH-field have a low regard of Yale? (Legitimate question! It's hard for me as a student coming out of undergrad to get a feel of how different schools are perceived in the work force) I'm going into Health Policy/Management

Members don't see this ad :)
Time for the weekly anxious ~has anyone heard from Brown Behavioral and Social Sciences?~ question. I know someone posted that we'd hear back last week, but I didn't.

I applied there November 22nd or sometime around there, and was accepted December 15th. They admit for spring & summer terms as well so it would make sense that it's taking a little time for them to get to applications for fall. But I think if you don't hear back by the end of this week, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about when they'll release more decisions. Hope this helps!

Yeah you are right. I should wait a bit more. Thanks for helping me out :)

Time for the weekly anxious ~has anyone heard from Brown Behavioral and Social Sciences?~ question. I know someone posted that we'd hear back last week, but I didn't.
I spoke to Emily today, she said they got triple the number of applicants for this cycle. She said if I don't hear back by the end of the first week of April, I should call her to find out where my application is at. I hope that helps. I have not made any decision yet , without Brown am leaning towards Emory and Upenn. I hope we all find out soon because there is a lot of planning that need to take place before August.

Do you think that folks within the PH-field have a low regard of Yale? (Legitimate question! It's hard for me as a student coming out of undergrad to get a feel of how different schools are perceived in the work force) I'm going into Health Policy/Management
I'm only a year out of undergrad so again, definitely seek more knowledgeable opinions, but my perception of it would be no, it wouldn't be looked at badly at all, just like BU doesn't look bad for undergrad. It's more about what @wwmmkk said - the connections you make and the networking opportunities, as well as your specific program (I am not HPM - I know that in some ways HPM is kind of its own category, since they have different types of field experiences and such, so look at which ones interest you more and whether there are any local orgs/companies you'd rather work with). Also, student groups and the surrounding city make a huge difference in your overall happiness that I would argue is just as important as anything else. In the process of applying for undergrad I learned that rankings aren't really important, and in the process of applying for grad school I recently learned the same lesson over again. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Going to accept my Michigan offer sometime this week - a pity to miss out on merit scholarships because I had the 'complete' notification sometime in January. Though if anyone's still holding out, the HPM program said they might give out a few more after the April 15th deadline, I assume they mean if students currently offered scholarships decline their offers.

Posting my stats below for future reference - I'm hoping you folk get some of those scholarships I'm declining! Good luck everyone!

Undergrad School: International Medical School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: WES – 3.43
Major/Minor: MB, Bch BAO
GradGPA
Grad Studies
GRE
5th Decemeber – Verbal 163 – Quant 157. AWA 3.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
1. Quite a bit of volunteer work in high school & Medical School
2. Some primary prevention research into Obesity and Type 2 DM
3. Several Clinical Electives in the U.S./ U.K .
4. Intern year at a hospital

Interested in: Health Policy & Management
Applied: GWU 25/12/17 – BU, Tufts, Michigan and a bunch of other schools.
Accepted: GWU (10k), University of Auckland, BU ( 20k), NYU ( 30k), Pitt, Emory, Colorado, Tufts, Umich
Rejected: UNC
Waitlisted:
Attending -
University of Michigan

Last edited:

Nope, haven't heard anything. I'm starting to get really frustrated :/
Has anyone called to find out?

I've decided to attend Columbia!! I'll be officially accepting my offer later this week or next week, and declining Yale.

Columbia will be about $20k more expensive than Yale, because of all of the scholarships I received from Yale. But ultimately, I think that Columbia's career office, resources, and network will put me in a better position to find a good job after graduation, which I think will be worth the additional expense. On top of that, Columbia offers more flexibility as far as certificates/areas of specialization, and has a main center for research (Center for Infection and Immunity) that is the exact field I want to do research in! There are other factors as well, that I love about Columbia, but those were the main factors to helping me pick it over Yale!

Updating my signature, and then I'm off the forum! Thank you to everyone for your help, and best of luck to all of you in grad school! See ya there!

Reactions: 20 users
Anyone have any insight on how to ask for reconsideration involving financial aid? I've read conflicting responses.. Some people say you need a whole argument and that it's important to list any scholarships you received from other schools in the email. Others say don't do that. How formal does the request have to be? helpppp

Re: Brown, I've called them twice (once today, once a couple weeks ago), and have been given the same run around of "we have X times the numbers of applications than we predicted" and "SOPHAS is new for us" and "expect an answer within Y weeks" that others have been reporting. I have not heard the exact same info twice, which is kind of a red flag honestly. I am hoping the info about the first week of April is accurate, but at this point I won't trust anything besides someone saying they've been admitted/rejected. I am disappointed on everyone's behalf that they will not have admitted most people in time for some kind of admitted student's event before April 15. Asking people to make a decision about where to start their careers and live for the next two years in under a month is a little insensitive.

f r u s t r a t i n g

Just got accepted into the part-time MPH program at Dartmouth with a very nice academic scholarship! #Blessed

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi..guys... anyone has opinions about Columbia MPH in Health Policy & Management and Boston University with certificate in Health Policy & Management? Any input would be great!

The wait is over; I just paid my deposit for Emory today! I received an ORISE position which heavily swayed me. :woot: While I did fall in love with UMich, moving to Michigan also meant uprooting for the third time in two years. Here in Atlanta, I’m already settled and working full time at the local health dept. I've built relationships with several state and local health entities that I’d like to continue working with. Ultimately, I would be seeking federal level employment after my MPH and with Emory at CDCs back door, I think this is the best route for me! Best of luck everyone, I hope to work with some of you one day!

Reactions: 14 users
Thoughts on Hopkins MSPH (International Health with a focus on Social Behavioral Interventions) vs. UNC MPH (Health Behavior)? I'm visiting both schools in the next two weeks, so I think I'll end up having a gut feeling about where to go. However, just wanted y'alls thoughts on the schools/programs. I've always wanted to do something related to global health, and Hopkins's program pretty much hits the nail on the head. However, the fact that it's not an MPH still sort of bothers me (even though I've been told by their program directors that the Hopkins MSPH is essentially an MPH at other schools--that it IS a terminal degree and not just a "stepping stone" for a PhD). Also UNC will definitely be cheaper, especially if I get in-state residency the second year (which I would do if I ended up there). I'm leaning towards Hopkins, but I'm still torn! I know both are great programs.

Rejected from BU :) screw it they're overpriced

Sad to say I rejected both Columbia, and Hopkins because I just don't think I could mentally handle the amount of debt I'd have to take on, no matter how much I really wanted to attend both schools. I'm now between Emory, and UW because I've given up on hearing back from Brown in a timely manner. The decision making process is grueling and I really can't wait to make a commitment and be stuck with it!

Best of luck to everyone else out there making decisions. I would love to get input from anyone else who has chosen Emory or UW!

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts on Hopkins MSPH (International Health with a focus on Social Behavioral Interventions) vs. UNC MPH (Health Behavior)? I'm visiting both schools in the next two weeks, so I think I'll end up having a gut feeling about where to go. However, just wanted y'alls thoughts on the schools/programs. I've always wanted to do something related to global health, and Hopkins's program pretty much hits the nail on the head. However, the fact that it's not an MPH still sort of bothers me (even though I've been told by their program directors that the Hopkins MSPH is essentially an MPH at other schools--that it IS a terminal degree and not just a "stepping stone" for a PhD). Also UNC will definitely be cheaper, especially if I get in-state residency the second year (which I would do if I ended up there). I'm leaning towards Hopkins, but I'm still torn! I know both are great programs.
I went to undergrad at UNC. The town is phenomenal. I think you will really like the area much better than in Baltimore (I visited last admitted student's day). Feel free to reach out to me if you want to get a feel for Chapel Hill.

Sad to say I rejected both Columbia, and Hopkins because I just don't think I could mentally handle the amount of debt I'd have to take on, no matter how much I really wanted to attend both schools. I'm now between Emory, and UW because I've given up on hearing back from Brown in a timely manner. The decision making process is grueling and I really can't wait to make a commitment and be stuck with it!

Best of luck to everyone else out there making decisions. I would love to get input from anyone else who has chosen Emory or UW!

Totally understandable decision! My final decision will come down to $$$ as well. I can't speak as someone who has chose Emory or UW, but I would ask yourself where you see yourself living after completing your program. After speaking with some Emory graduates, it's clear that the vast majority stay in the South and its very much a recruitment pool for the CDC. The UW is pretty regional as well - although with an incredible global health program. I would say that if you are looking at any kind of global health focus/sub-focus, UW is probably the better choice, especially if you see yourself staying in Seattle/the Pac NW.

I officially accepted the offer at Emory today! My professors encouraged me to choose Emory based on their experiences there and Emory offered me some decent scholarships. After carefully considering everything I wanted from my MPH, I paid my tuition and accepted the offer. I'm glad the wait is over and I look forward to seeing some of you next weekend at Visit Emory!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anybody know what Yale's acceptance rate is or how many applications they receive for their MPH programs? I just read on their website that each track (EMD, biostats, CDE, SBS, EHS, HCM, health policy, etc) only has about 15-25 students per entering class. I would think Yale gets a decent amount of applications; I know the school is small, but I am shocked that their numbers are THAT low on each track!

For those who went to Cal's Open House...did any of you happen to ask about the funding issues that Berkeley seems to be having? I got completely side-tracked during my time there (Cal sure did a great job in hyping the school and getting me super excited) and forgot to ask this question :O

Does anybody have turnaround estimates on Boston, Minnesota, or Tulane? I applied to MPH, MPH, and MSPH respectively. I officially had everything approved and submitted early last week, and I wouldn't be wondering had I not already heard back from two schools. The super-fast, unexpected turnaround of the first two has me waiting on the edge of my seat for the other three... I have yet to call admissions and ask because I have an irrational fear they'll mark me down as being impatient/immature. ;)

Thanks for any insight! (Also, if any of you have insight on the Environmental Health/Infectious Disease programs at UIC, GWU (M.S.), UMN, BU, Tulane (M.S.P.H.), I'm ALL ears!)

This may look like a dumb thing to ask...So I have been admitted into the Columbia's MHA on the HPM track. But I want to switch to MPH on the same track. Is it possible to switch from MHA to MPH before I enter the school??

Does anybody know what Yale's acceptance rate is or how many applications they receive for their MPH programs? I just read on their website that each track (EMD, biostats, CDE, SBS, EHS, HCM, health policy, etc) only has about 15-25 students per entering class. I would think Yale gets a decent amount of applications; I know the school is small, but I am shocked that their numbers are THAT low on each track!

I cannot find recent published admissions stats (re: how many applied v. how many were admitted). Their 2009 rate was 39.7% (505/1271). The Class of 2016 was 153 students. Yale is a small school - they really emphasize that and the various merits of a close-knit community/good professor-to-student ration.

Does anybody have turnaround estimates on Boston, Minnesota, or Tulane? I applied to MPH, MPH, and MSPH respectively. I officially had everything approved and submitted early last week, and I wouldn't be wondering had I not already heard back from two schools. The super-fast, unexpected turnaround of the first two has me waiting on the edge of my seat for the other three... I have yet to call admissions and ask because I have an irrational fear they'll mark me down as being impatient/immature. ;)

Thanks for any insight! (Also, if any of you have insight on the Environmental Health/Infectious Disease programs at UIC, GWU (M.S.), UMN, BU, Tulane (M.S.P.H.), I'm ALL ears!)

BU took about 4 weeks for me

Congrats to everyone who has already decided, and for those with great decisions to make!

I am posting my final update- I have just been accepted to the MBA/MPH joint-degree program at Yale! This was my dream program and my decision is already made. If anyone is interested/comes across this in the future feel free to message me. Good luck to all and it's been a hell of a ride.

Reactions: 3 users

they had 1668 applications in 2013 and accepted 486 for an acceptance rate of ~29%. yale has a really low yield rate as they are often stingy re: financial aid

Anyone still waiting on USC? I've been accepted to BU and a private California School but I'm torn. I don't know if I should just commit to one of those schools or wait it out for USC. Does anyone have any opinions on their program? I'm from California so the move to Boston is huge for me. I'm also planning to come back to California after my MPH so I was wondering if it even makes sense to go to BU when all my connections will be out there.

Anyone still waiting on USC? I've been accepted to BU and a private California School but I'm torn. I don't know if I should just commit to one of those schools or wait it out for USC. Does anyone have any opinions on their program? I'm from California so the move to Boston is huge for me. I'm also planning to come back to California after my MPH so I was wondering if it even makes sense to go to BU when all my connections will be out there.

When's the deadline to accept your admission offer from BU? Maybe you could send a polite email to USC explaining the quandary you're in. My hope is they would respond in kind.

I actually ended up with your exact GPA and GRE scores lol I have about 4 years of experience in the Public Health field so that really helped me like when I talked about in my essay. I applied to like 7 schools and I have two back so far. I can honestly tell you dont give up on yourself like I felt so bad about how people had higher GPA and GRE but realized we all have a different background and unique in our own way and what is great about MPH is that they look at the whole picture. You just have to give it a chance and see what happens :)

May I ask what kind of public health experience you did? I'm graduating undergrad this June and I was thinking about applying to grad schools this fall but I don't know what concentration to pick. You can private message me if you want.

Totally understandable decision! My final decision will come down to $$$ as well. I can't speak as someone who has chose Emory or UW, but I would ask yourself where you see yourself living after completing your program. After speaking with some Emory graduates, it's clear that the vast majority stay in the South and its very much a recruitment pool for the CDC. The UW is pretty regional as well - although with an incredible global health program. I would say that if you are looking at any kind of global health focus/sub-focus, UW is probably the better choice, especially if you see yourself staying in Seattle/the Pac NW.
Thanks for your input! I feel a little bit stuck because I don't want to stay in the South, but I am interested in Emory because it would be a change of pace from my life in Seattle, even though I could see myself living here down the road. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do before April 15th!

Upenn vs Drexel? Receiving calls from Drexel profs makes me feel very wanted hah. Please let me know your thoughts...soo close to a decision.

Tufts/Columbia/NYU/Emory are off my my short list right now :/

I emailed USC and I was told that all apps submitted after the December 1st deadline will be reviewed AFTER April 15th. Unfortunately for me, I submitted it in January. When did you submit yours?

If anyone is going to Emory's admitted students day, can you guys write how it was? Emory is my top choice but sadly i cant go due to work...

I emailed USC and I was told that all apps submitted after the December 1st deadline will be reviewed AFTER April 15th. Unfortunately for me, I submitted it in January. When did you submit yours?

I'm still waiting on USC. I submitted prior to the Dec 1 deadline, but received an email 3/7 that my application was "now" under review by the admissions committee and that decisions will take 3-5 weeks. I was told 12/5 that they were processing after having received my application.

When's the deadline to accept your admission offer from BU? Maybe you could send a polite email to USC explaining the quandary you're in. My hope is they would respond in kind.

The BU deadline is April 14 which apparently is also the start date which USC will send out their decisions. I'll give it a try though! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try :)

Upenn vs Drexel? Receiving calls from Drexel profs makes me feel very wanted hah. Please let me know your thoughts...soo close to a decision.

Tufts/Columbia/NYU/Emory are off my my short list right now :/

Drexel. UPenn is an amazing university that is very highly regarded and well resourced (I say this as a Penn grad), however their MPH program is small and not affiliated with a school of public health but rather the medical school. Course and track options at Penn are more limited (Global, Environmental, or Generalist), and (imo) the opportunities are similarly limited. Because Penn does not have an independent school of public health, it pulls its faculty from the med school, school of nursing, school of social work, etc. On the one hand, the multi-disciplinary nature of the program is a plus. On the other hand, the program lacks a certain cohesiveness and "home" for its students. To my knowledge, there are no faculty who are solely dedicated to the public health program.

I think it is always preferable to attend an institution that has a full school of public health, with faculty who are there specifically to teach public health, with broader research and practice opportunities and more physical resources. One thing that Penn will have over Drexel is name brand recognition, the "ivy" boost, etc. However, Drexel's school of public health is more highly ranked than Penn's program, and they are also rapidly growing. Because they are trying to climb the ranks, they are dedicating more time and resources to trying to appeal to more competitive students. When I visited, I really got the impression that the program would bend over backwards to help connect me to the resources, people, and opportunities I would need/want as a student there. Comparably, Penn may have less to offer and feel less of a need to "prove" itself. I would be very surprised if financial aid through Penn was superior to that offered by Drexel.

Ultimately, both of these programs are going to give you an excellent education and have different, potentially equally valuable perks. It's really a matter of the experience you want, and also what you'd like to do after you graduate. Drexel is a very practice-focused, career-driven program that emphasizes field experience and skill-building. Penn is more research and academia focused. Penn may be the place for you if you are interested in working within the hospital/medical system and want to get your foot in the door with Penn Medicine. Drexel is the place for you if you want to do community-oriented public health practice.

As an undergrad, I enjoyed all of the public health (undergrad and grad level) courses I took at Penn and very much loved the faculty. For many of the reasons listed above, and also because I wanted to go somewhere new, I did not apply to Penn's MPH program. Friends I know who are in the program are a mixed bag - some love it and some are disappointed. Ultimately, I will not be attending Drexel, either, because I have personal reasons to leave Philly and because I have been fortunate with aid from other, more (imo) appealing programs.

Hope this is helpful! Feel free to comment or PM if you have more questions about either of these schools :)

Reactions: 4 users
For people who work full-time, how do you plan on/how did you tell your employer? I wanted to give mine plenty of notice as 3 other people in my division quit this month(lol...this is going to go well) but I read the employee handbook and it's their right to dismiss immediately upon hearing we are resigning! This makes me not want to give them even 2 weeks(though I probably will)- I need that $$$! Thoughts?

Last edited:
For people who work full-time, how do you plan on/how did you tel your employer? I wanted to give mine plenty of notice as 3 other people in my division quit this month(lol...this is going to go well) but I read the employee handbook and it's their right to dismiss immediately upon hearing we are resigning! This makes me not want to give them even 2 weeks(though I probably will)- I need that $$$! Thoughts?

I will (hopefully) be in a similar situation. Harvard's program starts in Jan, but my fellowship ends in June. I'm hoping to land a job between the two times but will need to abruptly end my job in December.

For people who work full-time, how do you plan on/how did you tell your employer? I wanted to give mine plenty of notice as 3 other people in my division quit this month(lol...this is going to go well) but I read the employee handbook and it's their right to dismiss immediately upon hearing we are resigning! This makes me not want to give them even 2 weeks(though I probably will)- I need that $$$! Thoughts?

Don't think only $$$, but also if you get any employer benefits. I will be giving two weeks - quitting on the Sept 1 - in order to keep my health care insurance through the month of September. However, if you are under 26, this isn't really applicable since you can fall under your parents.......unless this eventually gets repealed under the new health law and reverts back to 22.

Don't think only $$$, but also if you get any employer benefits. I will be giving two weeks - quitting on the Sept 1 - in order to keep my health care insurance through the month of September. However, if you are under 26, this isn't really applicable since you can fall under your parents.......unless this eventually gets repealed under the new health law and reverts back to 22.

Yup - that's why I plan to quit June 2nd - so I'll get benefits through June. Thanks though!

So, I was waitlisted at Emory and (after a bunch of rejections) pretty much assumed I'd be going to GWU, but today my portal has the "pay admission deposit" link! Obviously, that doesn't actually mean I'm in, but I know it could and now I'm freaking out!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! I believe the "pay admission deposit" means you've been accepted! I also pretty much assumed I'd be going to my in-state MPH but I found out I was accepted to Emory yesterday! Admissions said it would take a few days for my portal to update. I just booked a last minute trip to Visit Emory lol. I plan to attend open house at both schools to weigh my options.

Congrats to you too! When is Visit Emory?

Hi all,
I applied to a few MPH programs concentrated in Management and Policy, but I just noticed that one of my letters of rec recommended me for specifically MHA programs (she gave me a copy for me to read a few months ago, but I just decided to read it now... lol). How badly do you think this will affect my application?

I don't actually think that would hurt you. Many HPM students apply for both MPH and MHA's, so schools are probably used to reading LOR's that refer to the other programs.