MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is this technically legal? I am considering doing the same, but not if it leads to both schools revoking my acceptance if they find out :/

It's certainly legal. That's why they require a deposit, they keep the money if you back out.

The schools do not like when you do that, and it could take a spot away from a potential waitlist, and if you refuse after the deposit its unlikely they will want to ever accept you again, so it definitely isn't something you should get in the habit of, and if you do do this you should make your decision quickly so they can offer that spot to someone else, because, depending on how they work, you are making it harder to fill that spot.

So I guess its not that its illegal, but its not a very respectable thing to do, especially for more than 2 places. Its just not fair to the school or the other potential students.

If its that hard for you to pick a school you may also want to ask for more time, most places will give you some. Eventually you'll have to choose anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just declined my offer from GWU, hopefully this will open up a spot from someone on the wait list. Even though I got a 15K scholarship from BU i think I'm still going to decline this offer and go to Emory. BU is a lot more expensive with cost of living so they basically would both result in me taking out massive loans lol. I still feel kinda guilty turning down BU, I went there for undergrad so initially I wanted something new but now that I'm leaning towards Atlanta I feel weirdly nostalgic. Anyway this process has been a roller coaster and I'm now in the same boat as a few others wondering if these massive amounts of debt will be worth it. I sure hope so :/

Reactions: 1 users
So I just declined my offer from GWU, hopefully this will open up a spot from someone on the wait list. Even though I got a 15K scholarship from BU i think I'm still going to decline this offer and go to Emory. BU is a lot more expensive with cost of living so they basically would both result in me taking out massive loans lol. I still feel kinda guilty turning down BU, I went there for undergrad so initially I wanted something new but now that I'm leaning towards Atlanta I feel weirdly nostalgic. Anyway this process has been a roller coaster and I'm now in the same boat as a few others wondering if these massive amounts of debt will be worth it. I sure hope so :/

I'm in the same exact boat. Kinda feel a bit guilty declining BU but I can't convince myself to stay in Boston for another two years when there are so many good opportunities elsewhere. BU will always be there and we are always Alumni! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's certainly legal. That's why they require a deposit, they keep the money if you back out.

The schools do not like when you do that, and it could take a spot away from a potential waitlist, and if you refuse after the deposit its unlikely they will want to ever accept you again, so it definitely isn't something you should get in the habit of, and if you do do this you should make your decision quickly so they can offer that spot to someone else, because, depending on how they work, you are making it harder to fill that spot.

So I guess its not that its illegal, but its not a very respectable thing to do, especially for more than 2 places. Its just not fair to the school or the other potential students.

If its that hard for you to pick a school you may also want to ask for more time, most places will give you some. Eventually you'll have to choose anyway.

I have to defer to next year. The work I'm doing now increases the likelihood of a significant scholarship to my second choice, but I would still like to keep my first choice school in the running in case I am ultimately able to go. Guess I'll be incurring the wrath of the respectability police. Oh well.

I'm an IMG who's applied for MS in clinical research. I've lived in Brazil my whole life, and all my upbringing has been in Sao Paulo (medical school and Psychiatry residency, in a top tier Brazilian University). I have been accepted in some places (Tulane, Pitt Public Health, Brown, Columbia and JH, besides being waitlisted in Vanderbilt and accepted in Oxford and UCL, in England). However, I was a little shocked with tuition costs and the lack of financial opportunities to sort that out (Brown was the only to offer me a partial scholarship so far).

Apart from that, my current dilemma is between going to Columbia (MS in Patient-Oriented Research, 2 years) or JH (MHS in Clinical Investigation, 1 year long, which has automatic access to the PhD program, if you take the USMLE - which I haven't, yet). Can anyone provide me some wise advice?

I'm an IMG who's applied for MS in clinical research. I've lived in Brazil my whole life, and all my upbringing has been in Sao Paulo (medical school and Psychiatry residency, in a top tier Brazilian University). I have been accepted in some places (Tulane, Pitt Public Health, Brown, Columbia and JH, besides being waitlisted in Vanderbilt and accepted in Oxford and UCL, in England). However, I was a little shocked with tuition costs and the lack of financial opportunities to sort that out (Brown was the only to offer me a partial scholarship so far).

Apart from that, my current dilemma is between going to Columbia (MS in Patient-Oriented Research, 2 years) or JH (MHS in Clinical Investigation, 1 year long, which has automatic access to the PhD program, if you take the USMLE - which I haven't, yet). Can anyone provide me some wise advice?

As another international student, I would say that unless you are interested in pursuing a PhD, you should go with Columbia. I personally believe that one year is too short a time to adjust to the US, especially at grad school level, if you are not planning on continuing to PhD. New York City is incredibly cosmopolitan and you are very likely to find things that remind you of home without having to go out of your way but you also get the true American experience. Baltimore is not too far away from D.C. which is also an incredibly cosmopolitan city but much calmer than NYC. I think they are both great schools and you can't go wrong with either choice!

I got a dietetic internship!!!! Quite the curveball, so no MPH for me yet, but if I decide to pursue one after I get the RD, I'm loving the thought of GW. Good luck to you all!

I submitted my application through Sophas on March 14th and was accepted on March 27th.
Thanks for the info! I seem to be right about at that timeframe. Hopefully I will hear back this week. I haven't really come across anyone on any of these forums who has been rejected by Tulane this cycle (not saying it hasn't happened) but that makes me somewhat hopeful and knocking on wood that I won't be the first :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just paid my deposit to NYU! I was blown away by their admitted student's day and I'm so excited to be in NYC! Good luck to those waiting on schools or trying to make their decisions & hopefully I'll come across some of you in the future! :)
Looking forward to meet you!

Deferred enrollment at Emory to Fall 2018 and paid my deposit!

Reactions: 4 users
That's an excellent question. I hadn't even thought to ask that at any of my admitted students' days! Maybe I'll call Columbia and ask. I've heard nothing but crickets from them since submitting my financial aid appeal.
How did you submit an appeal? I was unaware that there was a formal appeals process. I emailed them asking for them to reconsider my financial aid package, but I haven't heard back.

Committed to BU and declining offers at Emory and JHU (MSPH) so hopefully this opens up space for waitlisted folks! Emory tried to match BU's offer with 12k less with the argument that living cost made up for it, buuuut half of their offer was REAL (a work study) anyways and realistically for me that meant that half wouldn't be going towards my tuition as easily. JHU made an amazing offer and at least seemed more interested in me/dedicated to helping me out than Emory, but in the end even with Boston's outrageous cost of living, their offer and other program amenities made it the best cost and fit for me. SUPER sad to turn down Hopkins, but in the end it was *my choice* and I think I made the right one. If anyone else is in the same boat, feel free to message me :) Good luck, everyone!

ALSO---submit appeals/try to match offers!! Emory doubled their offer because of my JHU and BU packages. Didn't work out for me, but might for others!

As another international student, I would say that unless you are interested in pursuing a PhD, you should go with Columbia. I personally believe that one year is too short a time to adjust to the US, especially at grad school level, if you are not planning on continuing to PhD. New York City is incredibly cosmopolitan and you are very likely to find things that remind you of home without having to go out of your way but you also get the true American experience. Baltimore is not too far away from D.C. which is also an incredibly cosmopolitan city but much calmer than NYC. I think they are both great schools and you can't go wrong with either choice!

Thanks for your reply! I agree with all you said, especially the "can't go wrong" part :)

The point is exactly that I'm very interested in taking a PhD right after it. Would you stick with Columbia?

Thanks again!

Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for responses. I'm an IMG from Mexico, did some research assistance during medical school, and I'm currently in epidemiology and doing research project at the moment. Have three publications, but they're only a case studies and two literature reviews. GRE is 165 Verbal, 157 Quant, 5.0 Writing.

I'm applying to the UCSF MAS in Clinical Research, Stanford MS in Epidemiology and Clinical Research, and the Harvard Masters in Clinical Research.

Anyone have any advice on which of these programs would be good? As well as any input on if I'm good to go as an applicant?

Ya'll I am feeling SO lost. I've been set on Emory for weeks because they're doing awesome reproductive health/abortion work, they offered me an awesome funding package, and I love Atlanta. However, after the reality of me not going back to California (by the time I start school in August I will have been gone for 2.5 years) sunk in I've started to second guess my decision to go to Emory. I start thinking about everything about California that I miss (my closest friends, family traditions, lifestyle, etc) and then get overwhelmed with homesickness and I start crying.

UCLA also has some cool reproductive health work happening, though not as specific to my interests, but has not offered me funding. I'm wait listed for two funding opportunities at Berkeley but no one in their SPH is working on abortion and their MCH department is more siloed and qualitatively focused. I'm so frustrated because the programs where I want to live aren't great fits, but going to the program with the most opportunities for me means giving up getting to go home right now.

Anyone want to weigh in? What should be the most important to me right now? All three programs are great, I'll still get to learn valuable skills I need to be successful. GAH.

How did you submit an appeal? I was unaware that there was a formal appeals process. I emailed them asking for them to reconsider my financial aid package, but I haven't heard back.

Columbia does not list formal appeal instructions on their website, so you're not missing anything. I sent them an email requesting "a formal judgment review," language which, per my research into making such appeals, speaks to a particular action the university must take if requested. I attached copies of my competing offers and requested that they instruct me if there is paperwork that ought to be completed in line with the appeal. I, too, have not heard back. I plan to call them, today. Reality is there's just no way I'm attending if they don't give me a better offer. Columbia is $20k more expensive (not even including cost of living) than any of the other programs to which I've been admitted.

Ya'll I am feeling SO lost. I've been set on Emory for weeks because they're doing awesome reproductive health/abortion work, they offered me an awesome funding package, and I love Atlanta. However, after the reality of me not going back to California (by the time I start school in August I will have been gone for 2.5 years) sunk in I've started to second guess my decision to go to Emory. I start thinking about everything about California that I miss (my closest friends, family traditions, lifestyle, etc) and then get overwhelmed with homesickness and I start crying.

UCLA also has some cool reproductive health work happening, though not as specific to my interests, but has not offered me funding. I'm wait listed for two funding opportunities at Berkeley but no one in their SPH is working on abortion and their MCH department is more siloed and qualitatively focused. I'm so frustrated because the programs where I want to live aren't great fits, but going to the program with the most opportunities for me means giving up getting to go home right now.

Anyone want to weigh in? What should be the most important to me right now? All three programs are great, I'll still get to learn valuable skills I need to be successful. GAH.

Why do you feel that committing to a two year program away from CA is permanently closing the door on CA? Is there anything about Emory is particular that makes you feel that you could not return to the West Coast after completing your degree? Or, do you feel you simply can't bear a couple more years away from home? I would recommend requesting information from Emory about their CA alumni presence and looking into whether you can complete field components like your practicum or capstone away from Atlanta. Maybe you can spend some of those practice/research months home in CA, working for a local entity.

Why do you feel that committing to a two year program away from CA is permanently closing the door on CA? Is there anything about Emory is particular that makes you feel that you could not return to the West Coast after completing your degree? Or, do you feel you simply can't bear a couple more years away from home? I would recommend requesting information from Emory about their CA alumni presence and looking into whether you can complete field components like your practicum or capstone away from Atlanta. Maybe you can spend some of those practice/research months home in CA, working for a local entity.
It's definitely more about deciding if I can continue being away from home right now. I know it's definitely possible to go back after graduating but I'm trying to decide if I need the support network I have in CA while I'm in graduate school.

Reaching out about their CA alumni network is a great idea. Thank you!

I had a similar decision-making process actually. Being from LA, I was really inclined to attend UCLA just to be around family and friends, a familiar city, and the weather and culture I had grown up in. The thought of moving to the east coast really stresses me out on multiple levels--I'd feel really isolated from my family/friends, I'd have to learn to navigate new cities, and honestly I am not sure how well I will cope with the harsh winters. This made UCLA feel like the safe and natural choice, but everyone I talked to convinced me otherwise--they assured me that they'd still be around for me to talk to, they'd come visit, and I'd be coming home for holidays etc as well. The program at Yale was so much better suited to what I want to do in my career that it would be crazy to give that up just to stay in my comfort zone. Maybe I will hate the east coast, but honestly if I am ever going to pick up and move across the country for a better career/academic opportunity, this is the time, while I'm young and relatively unattached. Basically, right now the focus should be on your own personal growth, which might mean doing the less comfortable/safe thing.

Thanks for your reply! I agree with all you said, especially the "can't go wrong" part :)

The point is exactly that I'm very interested in taking a PhD right after it. Would you stick with Columbia?

Thanks again!

The guaranteed access to PhD immediately after JHU should be difficult to turn down in that case. I am biased towards Columbia because I have decided to attend but maybe for your long term goals, JHU is an easier option. Of course, you could still apply from Columbia.

Decided on Columbia! Gotta look for scholarships and money now lol but I am excited to see you all in the fall!!:clap::highfive::soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Turned down UPenn, Columbia (both MPH), and Georgetown (MS Global Health) this weekend.

Hopefully that helps someone out!

I'm sure this has been discussed a number of times, but how much does the prestige of the program/school matter? Debating between UCLA and UCI. If it's relevant, I do plan to get an MD afterwards.

Of course! :) It wasn't a bad campus at all, very beautiful, but just very quiet and in a small secluded area where I didn't think I would be happy for grad school. I'm getting really excited about NYU, and I think it's a good fit for me and what I want to do! Are you going to admitted student day this weekend?
Hey sorry for the super late reply!
I am an international student, thus have to get my i20 first.. will be joining NYU and Paid my deposit last week :) hope to meet you this fall :)

Is it common for folks to take out $100k+ in loans for these degrees? I can't figure out what's typical/common and I'm really struggling to figure out if enrolling in school is even a responsible decision at this point.

Stuck between Hopkins (MHS), Emory (MSPH), and OHSU-PSU (MPH) for epidemiology. No scholarships from any, but OHSU is only 35k for tuition, about half the cost of the others. I want to get my PhD and work in research after my master's, but I'm not sure if JHU or Emory are worth the extra cost, and I haven't been able to visit any of them (too much bio lab work to get away). I'm also struggling to figure out the feel (ie: competitive, friendly, intense vs. reasonable workload, coldly-professional, etc) of each school--what did you all think?

Anyone have any thoughts? Or maybe notes from visiting any of the above schools? I'll take whatever help I can get!

I JUST GOT INTO UCLA! I WILL BE ATTENDING THIS FALL! THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING DAY!

Reactions: 10 users
Is it common for folks to take out $100k+ in loans for these degrees? I can't figure out what's typical/common and I'm really struggling to figure out if enrolling in school is even a responsible decision at this point.

I'm not sure what is common or uncommon, but taking out $100k+ in loans is usually not the most financially sound decision. However, this is all relative, as people have varying tolerances for how much debt they are willing to incur. Some people set their limit at $30k, some at $50k, and some at $80k. This also depends on your concentration - for example, taking out $70k in loans isn't at all terrible for a well paying field like biostats, but may not make much sense for something like behavioral sciences. There are also a ton of different career paths available in public health, so choosing a particular concentration will not necessarily guarantee you a high or low salary. This is of course assuming that you are not pursuing an MD or PhD afterwards. There is this estimated loan repayment calculator, which I found to be really helpful. It gives you a good idea of how long you will be paying off your loans depending on your expected salary (you can find this information on sites such as Indeed).

Here it is: Repayment Estimator

What are you paying for? Not just to enroll in classes, but to access an alumni network, connect with your peers and faculty, pursue research/extracurricular opportunities, and be in the best position to get the job you want! It is up to you to determine how much you are willing to pay for these things. Don't worry about what is typical, because every case is different. Is deferring an option for you? I recommend that option IF you are very anxious about taking out that much in loans. You should be comfortable enough with your decision to not have the thought of debt get in the way of making the most out of your MPH degree. Ultimately, only you and those close to you know what is best for you. Best of luck!

Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for responses. I'm an IMG from Mexico, did some research assistance during medical school, and I'm currently in epidemiology and doing research project at the moment. Have three publications, but they're only a case studies and two literature reviews. GRE is 165 Verbal, 157 Quant, 5.0 Writing.

I'm applying to the UCSF MAS in Clinical Research, Stanford MS in Epidemiology and Clinical Research, and the Harvard Masters in Clinical Research.

Anyone have any advice on which of these programs would be good? As well as any input on if I'm good to go as an applicant?

Hello there!

Funny story - I applied to all 3 of those schools. I was accepted to the Masters in Biomedical Imaging at UCSF, MS in Epi & Clinical Research at Stanford, and MS in Epi (Clinical Epi) at Harvard.

Given your experience, I'd definitely bet that you would be accepted to all 3 programs.

Here's what I learned when trying to decide between these 3 schools...
- UCSF is horrible about funding; you are essentially expected to bring in your own funding or pay outright (though I'm not sure about the program you listed)
- The Stanford program is through the School of Medicine (as opposed to a school of public health like Harvard) - just something to keep in mind
- I met with a million people when deciding between Stanford and Harvard and it essentially came down to this - if you want to do epidemiological methods research, go to Harvard; if you want to do data mining/meta-analyses/machine learning-oriented research, go to Stanford

I ended up meeting a physician at Stanford who was involved in the EXACT research I wanted to do. It really depends on what you want to research - given that you already have specific interests, I'd suggest you start looking at and contacting faculty at these institutions. This can also help your chances of being accepted (I was in close contact with a faculty member at UCSF).

Hope this helps!

Columbia does not list formal appeal instructions on their website, so you're not missing anything. I sent them an email requesting "a formal judgment review," language which, per my research into making such appeals, speaks to a particular action the university must take if requested. I attached copies of my competing offers and requested that they instruct me if there is paperwork that ought to be completed in line with the appeal. I, too, have not heard back. I plan to call them, today. Reality is there's just no way I'm attending if they don't give me a better offer. Columbia is $20k more expensive (not even including cost of living) than any of the other programs to which I've been admitted.
Tell me how it goes!!

Hello there!

Funny story - I applied to all 3 of those schools. I was accepted to the Masters in Biomedical Imaging at UCSF, MS in Epi & Clinical Research at Stanford, and MS in Epi (Clinical Epi) at Harvard.

Given your experience, I'd definitely bet that you would be accepted to all 3 programs.

Here's what I learned when trying to decide between these 3 schools...
- UCSF is horrible about funding; you are essentially expected to bring in your own funding or pay outright (though I'm not sure about the program you listed)
- The Stanford program is through the School of Medicine (as opposed to a school of public health like Harvard) - just something to keep in mind
- I met with a million people when deciding between Stanford and Harvard and it essentially came down to this - if you want to do epidemiological methods research, go to Harvard; if you want to do data mining/meta-analyses/machine learning-oriented research, go to Stanford

I ended up meeting a physician at Stanford who was involved in the EXACT research I wanted to do. It really depends on what you want to research - given that you already have specific interests, I'd suggest you start looking at and contacting faculty at these institutions. This can also help your chances of being accepted (I was in close contact with a faculty member at UCSF).

Hope this helps!

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your response! Considering you have experience in the program in Stanford. I'm wondering what exactly you mean when you say "data mining" and"machine learning oriented research".

Is the stanford program being in through medical school an issue? Since I going to graduate from medicine soon I feel it would be an ideal pick.

Are there any funding opportunities in stanford?

Thank you!

Sorry, I'm super late to the game (applied last minute after deciding I wasn't pre-med anymore and wanted to pursue a master's - unsure how it'll impact my acceptances & finaid but I'm optimistic) Buuuut I'm still kinda nervous that I won't have many choices to pick from + I'm about to miss enrollment deposit deadlines :(

Undergrad School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.58
Major/Minor: a hard science major & a humanities major
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE: 167 V, 170 Q, 4.5 Analytical Writing
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-Founded my own student organization
-4 year involvement in alternative breaks & global health organization
-Very involved in social justice activism on campus (lots of leadership positions and some awards related to it, including a prestigious scholarship!)
-Current: psychology research for past 6 months (presented posters at a couple conferences) & public health research about clean water in Southeast Asia for past 1.5 years
-Extensive prior research experience in clinic and wet lab for past 4 years
-Extensive volunteering at nursing homes, hospitals, and elementary schools (mostly with children and the elderly) for past 4 years (300+ hrs)

LOR: TA co-signed by very well-known professor from a class on women's health, boss from tutoring job, professor from my semester abroad who copy and pasted the sample letter I sent her (which was honestly pretty good), director of community service/engagement center at my school who likes me a lot!
Special factors???
-I have medical documentation of my really awful mono/mental illness the semester before last. It really impacted my grades and I wrote about it either in my personal statement or addendum.
-Applied kinda late - might have had better chances if I applied earlier

Interested in: Health Policy, some Epi which I might transfer out of if I get in
Applied: Michigan (HMP, GlEpi/Epi), Tulane, GWU, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UNC
Accepted: Emory HPM
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
BU

Last edited:
Rejected by Yale today (none too surprising given that it is 3 days before the 15th!) so my cycle is officially complete - 15/16 acceptances.

Wanted to get thoughts on being certified in public health. One of the programs I've been accepted to offers this. Is it unique? Good to do?

Hi everyone - for those who accepted Columbia, do you know if the MPN (master promissory note) is needed before April 15? Columbia received my Entrance Counseling but not my MPN...but I did my MPN before the Entrance Counseling so I'm just confused by this weird time delay in between.

Wanted to get thoughts on being certified in public health. One of the programs I've been accepted to offers this. Is it unique? Good to do?

Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean the program itself is certified, or that the program offers a certificate in public health?

Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean the program itself is certified, or that the program offers a certificate in public health?
Yes! The program is certified by CEPH. After my first year, I will take a comprehensive exam that is part of the program requirements. I will also have the opportunity to take an exam that will make me certified in public health. They sorta made it seem like a neat thing to add to my resume. Just wondering if it's a unique thing or helpful in any way.

Yes! The program is certified by CEPH. After my first year, I will take a comprehensive exam that is part of the program requirements. I will also have the opportunity to take an exam that will make me certified in public health. They sorta made it seem like a neat thing to add to my resume. Just wondering if it's a unique thing or helpful in any way.

Is it this certification: NBPHE ?

Looking it over, it seems as though, even if not necessarily beneficial, it couldn't hurt anything. EXCEPT, the recertification criteria seems like a PITA. I wouldn't take it into consideration for that reason. I don't see the benefit to jumping through those hoops.

Is it this certification: NBPHE ?

Looking it over, it seems as though, even if not necessarily beneficial, it couldn't hurt anything. EXCEPT, the recertification criteria seems like a PITA. I wouldn't take it into consideration for that reason. I don't see the benefit to jumping through those hoops.
That's it! Yeah, the recertification criteria is pretty heavy. I haven't heard anything else about being certified and it doesn't seem like it adds a whole lot to what I will gain from earning an MPH. It was just one of the factors I was thinking about while deciding between UCI and UCLA.

Hey sorry for the super late reply!
I am an international student, thus have to get my i20 first.. will be joining NYU and Paid my deposit last week :) hope to meet you this fall :)
Hey! Hope to see you at NYU!

To everyone who received a fin aid offer letter from Columbia - did you have to access the fin aid portal? And where was the offer letter located?

When I access the 'studentviewer' portal all I can see are the tabs "Home","Apply Online", "Awards", "Accept Awards" and a couple others. But other than the Home tab (which has a generic Welcome Message), all the other tabs are empty. I already wrote to the fin aid office asking about this but haven't received a response from them yet. Any advice?

Thanks!

Were you able to figure out where to accept the offer?
The only tabs I have are home and apply online

Tell me how it goes!!

I received notice from Columbia, yesterday, that my appeal was received and that I have been placed on a "waitlist." It seems unlikely I will get a revised package ahead of the decision deadline, as they essentially need to see who is coming and who is not and what money will be freed up. In this case, you are able to ask for an extension on your decision deadline such that you can hopefully see what your revised package includes, and then make your choice. At this point, I will likely decline Columbia anyway, but that has more to do with finding other programs more appealing than with the financial issues.