MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still waiting for financial aid from Columbia?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone still waiting for financial aid from Columbia?

me. i suggest you call and ask about your application bc turns out they were missing some information about mine that prevented them from accessing my fafsa and i guess they didnt feel the need to email me and ask for the information, which prevented me from being considered for a lot of the funds smhh

For those who applied to GW's MPH in Global Health, how long did it take to receive your decision? I received a confirmation email that my app was processed 3/20/17.
i submitted i think december-ish and got notified in Feb

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just had a quick question for those that received merit scholarships from Yale. How did you find out about your award? Thanks!

Anyone else going to be at Harvard's Admit Day on Friday?

Reactions: 1 users
Declined Harvard, Tufts, Buffalo, and Colorado today. Feels weird to be committing to leaving Boston.

Hi everyone! I just found this thread :happy: I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that applied super late in the game like me? Please tell me it turned out well for you! I applied to Tulane and LSU last week. Colorado State University, Emory and Boston University earlier this week. Portland State University earlier this month. My GRE scores were ummm mediocre and GPA decent but...I was prior military. ANY VETERANS ON HERE BEEN ACCEPTED??

Might not make it to Emory's accepted student day. Feeling super sick so I probably won't be able to make the trip

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey I just had a quick question for those that received merit scholarships from Yale. How did you find out about your award? Thanks!
I received a merit scholarship in the same email as my financial aid award letter. It all came together in one email!

I received a merit scholarship in the same email as my financial aid award letter. It all came together in one email!
Thanks! I am an international student so I won't be getting a financial aid award letter, guess I will have to email to find out. Thanks so much and congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone going to Columbia's Admitted Students Day on Friday?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone considering deferring admission to save up more money? I was woefully optimistic about getting merit/need grand aid, and am strongly considering taking a year off to get more money. 100k in loans does not seem worth it for an MPH degree alone, and that's the situation I am in.

Yes. After applying to schools I realized I needed to defer my admissions so I contacted Yale Emory and Columbia about it, all three of those schools allow you to defer admissions you just need to write to them formally and explain why you want to. Then, if they approve you need to submit your seat deposit money and then you are all set for the next school year. It's definitely possible and I would suggest it if its for money!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the MPH vs MSPH in epi? I am leaning towards attending Yale for their MPH EMD program, but I was also accepted to Emory and George Washington for MSPH degrees. Looking over George Washington's program more I began to become more interested in attending there as well. It is hard for me to decide! I have a bachelor's in biochemistry and in some aspects I miss a research-focused education. However, I also would like to work for a few years after my masters and I haven't decided if I will do a PhD later. If I do a PhD I have also considered branching out into a bio field and working with immunology or virology. Bottomline is that I do not know if I would actually go for my PhD later or not.

Can anyone chime in with their own opinions or knowledge about an MPH vs MSPH?

please tell me how emory student visit is!!!! i want to know all about it since i cant make it...

I have been silently stalking this site since I applied to UMICH SPH in November. I'm happy to say I just got my acceptance into the hospital and molecular epid program, and I felt it was only right I let everyone know admissions decisions from Michigan are on their way!

Happy holidays =)

What are your stats?! I'm applying to the same program for Fall 2018 :)

For everyone still waiting on Behavioral and Social Health Sciences @ Brown, I just spoke with one of the admissions people yesterday and this is what she told me:

"We should be sending out some decisions within the next week or so. By the end of next week, I would say."

Just declined UCI, SDSU, University of Minnesota, and George Washington.

Drexel MPH CHP vs JHU MSPH HBS

Struggling to decide between these two. Drexel is offering ~5k/term + work study. JHU covers 75% tuition during second year.
Drexel students graduate in March. JHU students have to complete a 6 month full time field placement, graduation in May.
Philly vs. Baltimore.

Note: my husband just matched to a residency program in Delaware, so my commute to JHU will likely be longer (an hour, versus half hour to philly).
JHU seems to be the more expensive option (esp if you include cost of living/ commuting, etc)

Any advice?
IMO, Drexel is the way to go if you're interested in community-based research or practice or if you'd like/need close relationships with professors. If you're more interested in academia, research, or NIH, and are fine with a bigger program, then go with JHU.

I met a current student at Drexel who lives in Delaware. She rents a parking spot near campus and said the commute wasn't a problem. She also was able to find an internship at a hospital in Delaware.

Had a verrryyyyyy mixed bag at Emory today.

Pros:
1. The professors were overall very kind, and all did research that I was interested in!
2. The events they had prepared for the prospective students were great! Talked to people in my department while sipping on a frozen peach margarita.
3. Allowed students to sit on a class, take a tour of the campus, take a tour of a housing facility nearby, and a tour of the CDC.
4. Students overall seemed very friendly and welcoming. They answered all of my questions honestly and told me the inside scoop.

Cons:
1. A couple of things left a bad taste in my mouth. First and foremost was that a current student talked down to me about another program I am considering. Currently, I am choosing between BU and Emory. When I said I was also considering BU, he completely badmouthed it, and not even in a constructive way. He said ANYONE could get into BU :stop:.
2. One of my biggest concerns about Emory was finances. I unfortunately was not offered any type of scholarship, and am not sure if it's a viable choice. When I brought up my concern with the professors, they said that even if I wasn't offered an assistantship or REAL, it was very likely I could start doing so my second semester. When myself and several other prospective students brought that up with current students, they doubted that would actually be the case.

Guys random how long do schools typical take to give you a response? Submitted my app 03/15, got a few "verified and processing your application emails", and denied from Emory. I'm pretty anxious. I know it's super late in the game! Anyone else on the same boat? Need some support here! :/

Guys random how long do schools typical take to give you a response? Submitted my app 03/15, got a few "verified and processing your application emails", and denied from Emory. I'm pretty anxious. I know it's super late in the game! Anyone else on the same boat? Need some support here! :/

Tulane gave me a response within two weeks, while Ohio State and GWU took about a month to respond.
I've also applied to other schools, such as NYU, Brown and Oregon but they have yet to give me a response. I submitted those applications about 6 weeks ago.

Anyone finding that choosing a program is the hardest part? I thought it would be more fun

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I was very impressed by the Harvard student visitor day. Was surprised at how welcoming and friendly the atmosphere was - not pretentious like I had expected. Definitely seems like a research focused school and program, but based on the breakout session about career options, it looks like a ton of students end up working outside of academia (and making good money). They emphasized many times that you can cross register at other Harvard schools to take classes and that alumni have access to all Harvard school networks (300000+ people).

Also, research assistantships can be max 20hours/week, and pay 20$/hour. Not guaranteed everyone can get one though.

After begging for more money in person, I was told there is a small chance I could get more money if people who got money offers turn down the school. Fingers crossed!

Tulane gave me a response within two weeks, while Ohio State and GWU took about a month to respond.
I've also applied to other schools, such as NYU, Brown and Oregon but they have yet to give me a response. I submitted those applications about 6 weeks ago.
Were you accepted to Tulane? I just submitted my app last Friday I'm nervous I am so behind...

I was very impressed by the Harvard student visitor day. Was surprised at how welcoming and friendly the atmosphere was - not pretentious like I had expected. Definitely seems like a research focused school and program, but based on the breakout session about career options, it looks like a ton of students end up working outside of academia (and making good money). They emphasized many times that you can cross register at other Harvard schools to take classes and that alumni have access to all Harvard school networks (300000+ people).

Also, research assistantships can be max 20hours/week, and pay 20$/hour. Not guaranteed everyone can get one though.

After begging for more money in person, I was told there is a small chance I could get more money if people who got money offers turn down the school. Fingers crossed!

I was also impressed by Harvard's visit day but definitely got the impression that it is a better fit for research and/or clinically oriented individuals versus those most interested in community-based practice. I would caution against putting too much stock in the MPH average earnings information we got. Those numbers are likely offset by graduates with MDs (of which there are many at Harvard).

All in all, I am so excited by the opportunities and networking potential at Harvard (particularly given the consortium), but I worry it's not well suited to practice-oriented folks? What are others' thoughts about this?

Anyone else still waiting on columbias financial aid? I've had a great experience communicating with professors but their financial aid office is brutal.

Had a verrryyyyyy mixed bag at Emory today.

Pros:
1. The professors were overall very kind, and all did research that I was interested in!
2. The events they had prepared for the prospective students were great! Talked to people in my department while sipping on a frozen peach margarita.
3. Allowed students to sit on a class, take a tour of the campus, take a tour of a housing facility nearby, and a tour of the CDC.
4. Students overall seemed very friendly and welcoming. They answered all of my questions honestly and told me the inside scoop.

Cons:
1. A couple of things left a bad taste in my mouth. First and foremost was that a current student talked down to me about another program I am considering. Currently, I am choosing between BU and Emory. When I said I was also considering BU, he completely badmouthed it, and not even in a constructive way. He said ANYONE could get into BU :stop:.
2. One of my biggest concerns about Emory was finances. I unfortunately was not offered any type of scholarship, and am not sure if it's a viable choice. When I brought up my concern with the professors, they said that even if I wasn't offered an assistantship or REAL, it was very likely I could start doing so my second semester. When myself and several other prospective students brought that up with current students, they doubted that would actually be the case.

That guy sounds terrible! I've met several successful individuals who LOVED the BU program. At the end of the day it is about you and what you put into any program. The name shouldn't matter. Good luck to that jerk when he steps out into the real world...

All in all, I am so excited by the opportunities and networking potential at Harvard (particularly given the consortium), but I worry it's not well suited to practice-oriented folks? What are others' thoughts about this?

I had a very similar impression, and it is ultimately why I declined Harvard. The network opportunities are obviously stellar, but I don't think I would benefit from them as much as I would benefit from a practice-based education... but of course I could be wrong. I wouldn't worry too much about it if that's your only big concern with the program.

So...any tips on asking for more from financial aid? I got absolutely nothing from my top choice

I had a very similar impression, and it is ultimately why I declined Harvard. The network opportunities are obviously stellar, but I don't think I would benefit from them as much as I would benefit from a practice-based education... but of course I could be wrong. I wouldn't worry too much about it if that's your only big concern with the program.

May I ask what program you ultimately chose to attend, or are most heavily considering? Just curious!

May I ask what program you ultimately chose to attend, or are most heavily considering? Just curious!
I will probably be going to Drexel, which I originally chose for financial reasons but am genuinely really excited about after going to their admitted students day. If money were not a factor (and they would get around to making decisions), I'd choose Brown.

I will probably be going to Drexel, which I originally chose for financial reasons but am genuinely really excited about after going to their admitted students day. If money were not a factor (and they would get around to making decisions), I'd choose Brown.

I LOVED Drexel's program when I visited. For personal reasons, I won't be choosing it, but I think you're walking into an amazing community of practitioners and students. The added benefits of their fellowship program will, I'm sure, make for a wonderful experience and thorough training. Also, Philly is a great city both in terms of daily living and public health.

Hey guys, I saw somewhere randomly that it is possible to get some grants from some faculty in some schools. Do any of you have any experience with this or know if this is actually possible? I would like to start emailing faculty if it is but I also don't want to look stupid lol.

Are there any current Columbia students on this thread? How is the Core and the other courses graded? Berkeley explicitly stated that every student must have a B- and above to pass the class. I'm wondering if Columbia has a similar policy!

It's been so nice to have chatted with you all the last couple months! I just accepted Michigan's offer, and declined the rest, so hopefully that bumps someone up on a waitlist :)

Look forward to seeing some of y'all at Michigan in the fall!

Reactions: 4 users
anyone still waiting to hear back from ucla? i called the graduate department and they said they would hopefully send out decisions before April. and well, it's April 2nd.

advice on harvard vs. columbia for global health? i seriously can't decide. columbia would come out slightly cheaper for me, but harvard is a great program!

Are there any current Columbia students that can comment on the availability/pay of GRA positions? I'm Epi, if that matters :)

Now that scares me. What are your stats? I hope you have other options to look up to. Good luck !!!

~3.4 GPA, ~165 on each section of the GRE.

I've got 6 admission offers in hand and another 3 schools that have yet to make a decision. Thank you for your concern but I'll be fine ;)

Just paid my deposit for Columbia! :biglove:
Will be declining the rest of my offers and withdrawing my application to CSUN. Thank you for all your help these past few months!

Reactions: 7 users
I finally made the decision. I declined Columbia, Tulane, and Emory:(. I accepted the UNC offer for the MSPH-PhD :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users