MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard back from University of Minnesota, and was accepted for Environmental Health! Sent this cute video with their dean in it. Only took them about my application was verified!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Congrats on all of the acceptances! I was wondering if anyone had a rough timeline for hearing back from UMich? I've applied to their environmental health sciences program and got the email with directions on how to make an account on November 1st.

Thanks!!

Hey everyone! Congrats on all of the acceptances! I was wondering if anyone had a rough timeline for hearing back from UMich? I've applied to their environmental health sciences program and got the email with directions on how to make an account on November 1st.

Thanks!!

I also got the email with directions on how to make an account on November 1st. I received an acceptance letter on November 18th for Hospital & Molecular Epi. A couple of other users in this thread also heard back from either HME or General Epi, so it may just depend on the individual department.

I also got the email with directions on how to make an account on November 1st. I received an acceptance letter on November 18th for Hospital & Molecular Epi. A couple of other users in this thread also heard back from either HME or General Epi, so it may just depend on the individual department.

Ok, thanks! so hopefully soon I guess

Undergrad School: Top Liberal Arts School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Environmental Studies/ Japanese
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE: 154 V (64%) 152 (47%) 4.5 (84%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-1 year fellowship at a state agency as an Environmental Educator
-6 month position teaching Environmental Education and doing water testing at a NYC park
-8 months volunteering at a Marine Science Center teaching about different types of species
-Summer doing water quality research in college
-Summer Internship at a NYC park teaching seining
Special factors-Strong Letters of Recommendation
-Strong Statement of Purpose

Interested in:
Applied: Columbia (Environmental Health and Toxicology), University of Michigan (Environmental Health), University of Minnesota (Environmental Health), Emory (Environmental Health/WASH), GWU (Environmental Health Science and Policy), BU (Environmental Hazard Assessment), UCLA (Environmental), UCBerkley (Environmental), Tulane (Disaster Management), UWash
(Environmental and Occupational Health), and UNC Chapel Hill (Environmental Health and Engineering) all MPH's
Accepted: University of Minnesota (Environmental Health) on 12/5
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Decided to apply to a wide variety of schools after taking my GRE's. Did not feel great about my scores. However, after my first acceptance I feel a bit more confident!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how SOPHAS calculates your GPA in your field of study? Mine hasn't been verified yet so I don't have anything calculated, but when entering my transcripts I listed a lot of my courses as biological anthropology rather than just regular anthropology, and I was wondering if those will count under the GPA that is calculated across my major, which is listed as regular anthropology.

Does anyone know how SOPHAS calculates your GPA in your field of study? Mine hasn't been verified yet so I don't have anything calculated, but when entering my transcripts I listed a lot of my courses as biological anthropology rather than just regular anthropology, and I was wondering if those will count under the GPA that is calculated across my major, which is listed as regular anthropology.
I'm also biological anthropology. I don't think you can really specify. That doesn't really matter it should count as your major either way. I would call.

it would be in the social science/humanities section. There isn't a "major" gpa, it would just be listed under Anthropology for the type of class that it is

Does anyone know if your SOPHAS GPA or undergrad GPA counts more? My undergraduate counted my study abroad credits as transfer and did not include in my GPA calculation, and is pretty significantly higher as a result. I hope they look at the undergrad transcript but I'm not sure how it works...

Has anyone who applied to Minnesota also received a bunch of emails saying that their application has been received and is being reviewed? I've gotten 3, each about 3 weeks apart, and each with a different time table for when I might receive a decision. It's making me nervous! It looks like they're sending decisions since @OysterIndicator has gotten in for enviro. Does anyone know when comm health promotion might actually send decisions?

Does anyone know if your SOPHAS GPA or undergrad GPA counts more? My undergraduate counted my study abroad credits as transfer and did not include in my GPA calculation, and is pretty significantly higher as a result. I hope they look at the undergrad transcript but I'm not sure how it works...
The point of the verification process is to have a standardized SOPHAS calculated GPA. In order to fairly compare stats between students, they have to look at your SOPHAS GPA because it will be weighted the same as other students' GPAs

Undergrad School: Top Liberal Arts School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Environmental Studies/ Japanese
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE: 154 V (64%) 152 (47%) 4.5 (84%)
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
-1 year fellowship at a state agency as an Environmental Educator
-6 month position teaching Environmental Education and doing water testing at a NYC park
-8 months volunteering at a Marine Science Center teaching about different types of species
-Summer doing water quality research in college
-Summer Internship at a NYC park teaching seining
Special factors-Strong Letters of Recommendation
-Strong Statement of Purpose

Interested in:
Applied: Columbia (Environmental Health and Toxicology), University of Michigan (Environmental Health), University of Minnesota (Environmental Health), Emory (Environmental Health/WASH), GWU (Environmental Health Science and Policy), BU (Environmental Hazard Assessment), UCLA (Environmental), UCBerkley (Environmental), Tulane (Disaster Management), UWash
(Environmental and Occupational Health), and UNC Chapel Hill (Environmental Health and Engineering) all MPH's
Accepted: University of Minnesota (Environmental Health) on 12/5
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Decided to apply to a wide variety of schools after taking my GRE's. Did not feel great about my scores. However, after my first acceptance I feel a bit more confident!

Do you mind sharing what science classes you took in undergrad? Did you do a full chem/organic chem/etc and physics sequence?

Do you mind sharing what science classes you took in undergrad? Did you do a full chem/organic chem/etc and physics sequence?
Hahahah I actually didn't take the most 'standard science classes. For labs I took 'Oceanography', 'Geology' 'Natural Resources', 'Exercise Science', and 'Climatology'. Also took many other classes with a science component. But I haven't actually took Bio/Chem/Physics since high school. With a lot my prior job experiences so I had a lot of field work so I was hoping it would make up it :p

Hahahah I actually didn't take the most 'standard science classes. For labs I took 'Oceanography', 'Geology' 'Natural Resources', 'Exercise Science', and 'Climatology'. Also took many other classes with a science component. But I haven't actually took Bio/Chem/Physics since high school. With a lot my prior job experiences so I had a lot of field work so I was hoping it would make up it :p

Thanks! I'm interested in EHS but only took general chem and took several bio classes. Some schools say they specifically require gen chem, organic, physics, etc and some don't say they require anything so I wasn't sure if needing those classes was an unwritten rule or not at the more lax schools but looks like it isn't :)

Has anyone who applied to Minnesota also received a bunch of emails saying that their application has been received and is being reviewed? I've gotten 3, each about 3 weeks apart, and each with a different time table for when I might receive a decision. It's making me nervous! It looks like they're sending decisions since @OysterIndicator has gotten in for enviro. Does anyone know when comm health promotion might actually send decisions?
I've gotten a going to review email, but when I've talked to the program coordinator (EpiCH) she said mine is going out in two weeks. Possibly why the timeline keeps changing for you?

I have a better understanding of the SOPHAS GPA calculations now. Thanks everyone! Kinda wish I explained low grades from when I was in high school taking college courses in my personal statements now that I see they will be weighted equally with my undergraduate grades :|

I have a better understanding of the SOPHAS GPA calculations now. Thanks everyone! Kinda wish I explained low grades from when I was in high school taking college courses in my personal statements now that I see they will be weighted equally with my undergraduate grades :|
I think this depends on your stats and the programs you are applying to, but I personally think the statement you provide should be focused on work and school experiences and why they qualify you for admission. I think explaining grades would distract the readers from that

I think this depends on your stats and the programs you are applying to, but I personally think the statement you provide should be focused on work and school experiences and why they qualify you for admission. I think explaining grades would distract the readers from that

That's what I tried to do really. I applied mostly to SBS style programs, and highlighted my community based research experience and professional experience in direct service work. However, I took some classes like chem and bio through a community college when I was in high school and never really took them again because I didn't need to and my life sciences GPA is going to be around a 2.5 and I'm afraid that might detract from my application even though I performed well in all of my social sciences course work, and biostats.

Also, is there anyone who is willing to look at my writing sample? I have already submitted it but I would like feedback on whether it seems appropriately graduate level in case I end up applying to more programs..

That's what I tried to do really. I applied mostly to SBS style programs, and highlighted my community based research experience and professional experience in direct service work. However, I took some classes like chem and bio through a community college when I was in high school and never really took them again because I didn't need to and my life sciences GPA is going to be around a 2.5 and I'm afraid that might detract from my application even though I performed well in all of my social sciences course work, and biostats.
I believe your overall GPA matters much more! I probably had some class category GPAs in that range, too.

Also, is there anyone who is willing to look at my writing sample? I have already submitted it but I would like feedback on whether it seems appropriately graduate level in case I end up applying to more programs..

I am willing to look over your writing sample if you would like.

Got an email from BUSPH that my application is complete and I will be notified of the decision sometime in December. Did anyone else get the same email?

Got an email from BUSPH that my application is complete and I will be notified of the decision sometime in December. Did anyone else get the same email?
I got the same email! Hopefully we will actually hear back that quickly :)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone here heard back from Hopkins yet? I saw on last year's thread that people started hearing back around this time if they applied early.

Has anyone here heard back from Hopkins yet? I saw on last year's thread that people started hearing back around this time if they applied early.

I'm pretty certain that only applies to MPH and MHS applicants. MSPHers here back in February

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question about Columbia - I received notification that my application was complete, however, SOPHAS is still verifying my transcripts. Is this normal?

Just checked my Johns Hopkins applicant page and looks like I got into the full time MPH program!

I submitted my app around Oct 20th.

Undergrad School: UVA
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: ~3.85/~3.95
Major/Minor: Human Biology (took Premed reqs, but no longer intending to do med school)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 165V/162Q/5W

-Postbac IRTA Fellow at NIH conducting HIV research- 2 years full time
-Undergraduate Research project and thesis conducting HIV drug resistance research in USA and Africa- 1.5 years
-NIH Academy Health Disparities Certificate Program
-PBK, Honor's Thesis, equivalent of Summa Cum Laude

Interested in: HIV, human behavior, LGBTQ health, behavioral interventions, infectious disease epi
Applied: Hopkins Full Time MPH (10/20), Harvard MPH-65 (HSB) (11/15), maybe a few others
Accepted: Hopkins (12/7)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Question about Columbia - I received notification that my application was complete, however, SOPHAS is still verifying my transcripts. Is this normal?
Yup! No need to worry :)

Undergrad School: University of Georgia - Honors Program
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94/3.86
Major/Minor: Cellular Biology with Global Health and Sociology Minors
GradGPA
(if applicable): 4.00
Grad Studies (if applicable): Public Health (taken 3 Graduate classes: 2 in public health/culture and one in Social Statistics)
GRE: (10/7) 161V, 163Q, 5AW
2 summers of Cell bio research - 2 published articles as a secondary author (when i was pre-med haha)
Worked as a housing desk assistant since May 2016 (12-20 hours a week)
Summer Intern (2015) at Vanderbilt Program for LGBTI Health - First Authored a letter to the editor in AJPH
Founding (1 year ago) Member of local SOGI health education advocacy program -
1 year as research assistant at UGA college of public health - currently studying MSM health in the South (access, quality, etc.)
- cohort director is writing one of my rec letters - will be listed as a secondary author on one paper
1 semester of assistant TA for Honors Gen. Chem. Lab
Member of a student org. that performed safer sex programs for housing, fraternities, sororities, etc.
2+ years of volunteering at a local hospice house - feeding patients, assisting nurses, sitting with families.
Special factors??? - Gay American-Chinese Male (some programs specifically said they were looking for men...)
Marshall Scholarship Finalist Interviewee, Leadership Scholarship from Honors, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Beta Kappa,

LOR: Lab Director who was in the SBS dept. at Yale, Medical Sociology professor, and former Vandy Program co-director
Interested in: social health, SOGI health disparities, medical anthropology and sociology,
Applied (IP): Boston (SSB), Columbia (SMS), Emory (BHSE), UNC (HB), Harvard (HSB), Vanderbilt (HP), UTH (HSO), UNT (Epi)
These last two are for safety and price because Texas tuition is cheap.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

What are y'alls opinions on scholarship competitiveness? I've heard GRE scores are used for mainly the preliminary rounds, but are they considered for merit scholarships?
Also how much do y'all think institutional prestige matters?
And wish me luck on the GRE haha - If i don't do that well, would I have time to retake it? I'm worried cause my earliest deadlines are Dec. 1, and seats aren't available till Nov. 2
Last question: should you make sure your transcripts and LORs are in SOPHAS about a month early to allow for their processing?

Hey y'all

I was wondering if it looks bad that your overall GPA is higher than your major GPA?

Just checked my Johns Hopkins applicant page and looks like I got in to the full time MPH program!

Applicant page? I just got an email about 5 weeks ago that said my application was under review. When did you get this applicant page info?

Applicant page? I just got an email about 5 weeks ago that said my application was under review. When did you get this applicant page info?

Haha nevermind-didnt find the email with my password :p I got in!!

Reactions: 2 users

They sent a few emails when I started my app about a "personal site" for applicants. It was something like mypath.jhsph.edu. I thought all applicants had to make one...

Just checked my Johns Hopkins applicant page and looks like I got in to the full time MPH program!

I haven't hea

I haven't heard from Hopkins yet :( My application was sent for review on Nov. 2. I thought that would be early, but I guess not! When did you send your app in?