MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What school? Emory took a month. BU took 10 days. It really depends. I would reach out to them and let them know about your deadline.
Arizona. I did and no one is replying. I just emailed the financial aid office so I guess we will see! Thanks for responding!

Members don't see this ad.

What school? Emory took a month. BU took 10 days. It really depends. I would reach out to them and let them know about your deadline.
So I just got a reply and they were like they still didn't even look at fall and wont start until mid-June and I have to make a decision by June 1...how does this make sense?

So I just got a reply and they were like they still didn't even look at fall and wont start until mid-June and I have to make a decision by June 1...how does this make sense?

I would just email admissions and explain that you can’t make a decision without weighing in the financial aspect and that you can make the decision when you get your package. Honestly these admissions office are really accommodating if you just reach out and ask! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just email admissions and explain that you can’t make a decision without weighing in the financial aspect and that you can make the decision when you get your package. Honestly these admissions office are really accommodating if you just reach out and ask! :)
Yes! And it turns out that my emails would disappear because something wrong with the computer!

But now I am wondering. So my local university, it is possible to get the entire last year paid for and its cheaper as well. If I go OOS, its 60-70K. I was hoping I would get a GTA but now I don't know if is possible at all. I know this is silly but I am trying to graduate with minimal to no debt at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! And it turns out that my emails would disappear because something wrong with the computer!

But now I am wondering. So my local university, it is possible to get the entire last year paid for and its cheaper as well. If I go OOS, its 60-70K. I was hoping I would get a GTA but now I don't know if is possible at all. I know this is silly but I am trying to graduate with minimal to no debt at all.

Honestly, you might be asked the wrong person lol. My instate school was cheaper and I’d be graduating with no debt. But i decided to take on loans to go to my dream school. If you’re satisfied with staying instate and it won’t bug you that much to stay in state, i would say graduate debt free. But I could not turn down the school I decided to go for the life of me.

Honestly, you might be asked the wrong person lol. My instate school was cheaper and I’d be graduating with no debt. But i decided to take on loans to go to my dream school. If you’re satisfied with staying instate and it won’t bug you that much to stay in state, i would say graduate debt free. But I could not turn down the school I decided to go for the life of me.
Neither can I! It is so hard. I really want to experience what else is out there but at the same time a 70K debt does not appeal to me lol. My main goal, really, was to gain international experience, which my in-state school said they can make possible and I live in a city where public health is huge. In addition, it is because I want to continue after l graduate so maybe I can go OOS after? Who knows.

Is there anyone still waiting for CSUN to get back to them? It's almost June and it's been radio silence from them since I sent in my application back in November. My application is listed as "under department review", where it has stayed for almost 3 months.

Neither can I! It is so hard. I really want to experience what else is out there but at the same time a 70K debt does not appeal to me lol. My main goal, really, was to gain international experience, which my in-state school said they can make possible and I live in a city where public health is huge. In addition, it is because I want to continue after l graduate so maybe I can go OOS after? Who knows.
I don't know your experience, but I do know that you applied pretty late in the cycle. Have you considered trying to strengthen your application, GRE score, letters of rec, personal statement, etc and applying early next year instead so that you can be considered for scholarships? That may allow you to get the best of both worlds (especially if you're super passionate about the work in certain schools and can articulate that!), although it would put you back a year and isn't guaranteed by any means. That's ultimately why I decided to apply super early this cycle rather than late last cycle-- and it paid off handsomely with a substantial scholarship to one of my top 3 program choices (Emory)! Just another option to consider!

So I just got off the waitlist for NYU! Even though I applied for epi, they switched me to Global Health. Mt Sinai and NYU both didnt tell me any info on financial aid either so :( and I already paid the 500$ non refundable deposit for Mt. Sinai and NYU wants the same. Ughhh and I have until 6/12 to decide!

Reactions: 1 users
So I just got off the waitlist for NYU! Even though I applied for epi, they switched me to Global Health. Mt Sinai and NYU both didnt tell me any info on financial aid either so :( and I already paid the 500$ non refundable deposit for Mt. Sinai and NYU wants the same. Ughhh and I have until 6/12 to decide!
Congratulations! Looks like you have some pretty good schools to choose from! :D

Is NYU your top choice? Do you see yourself going there (school, city, surrounding environment, etc)? Are you satisfied with the program you got into at NYU versus the program at Mt. Sinai? I think these are some things to consider since you already have a deposit at one of the schools. Good luck with making your final decision!

Congratulations! Looks like you have some pretty good schools to choose from! :D

Is NYU your top choice? Do you see yourself going there (school, city, surrounding environment, etc)? Are you satisfied with the program you got into at NYU versus the program at Mt. Sinai? I think these are some things to consider since you already have a deposit at one of the schools. Good luck with making your final decision!
Thanks so much! :) and I’m honestly thinking Mt. Sinai is the better choice for me. Program fit, cost effectiveness, and job outcome-wise. Both locations are very close to one another and have their own level of prestige— but global health isn’t really my ideal focus.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much! :) and I’m honestly thinking Mt. Sinai is the better choice for me. Program fit, cost effectiveness, and job outcome-wise. Both locations are very close to one another and have their own level of prestige— but global health isn’t really my ideal focus.
I think your gut is right here. NYU has done some shady things recently that make me question why they are shuttling you into global health if that's not where your interests lie. Also you seemed super excited about Mt. Sinai!

I think your gut is right here. NYU has done some shady things recently that make me question why they are shuttling you into global health if that's not where your interests lie. Also you seemed super excited about Mt. Sinai!

I just got their financial aid package too! 76k in loans total, and for just 1 academic year it seems. Mt Sinai hasn’t got back to me yet, but even then I know it won’t be anything absurd like this, since costs are lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know your experience, but I do know that you applied pretty late in the cycle. Have you considered trying to strengthen your application, GRE score, letters of rec, personal statement, etc and applying early next year instead so that you can be considered for scholarships? That may allow you to get the best of both worlds (especially if you're super passionate about the work in certain schools and can articulate that!), although it would put you back a year and isn't guaranteed by any means. That's ultimately why I decided to apply super early this cycle rather than late last cycle-- and it paid off handsomely with a substantial scholarship to one of my top 3 program choices (Emory)! Just another option to consider!
I didn't apply late actually-- I applied by the priority deadlines! I ended up calling and they are very behind to the point they're still trying to get funding for PhD students (who are main priority) so its going to take some time. Thanks for your tips though!

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Psychology/minor public health
GRE: Q 151 v 149 a 4.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- assistant researcher. I’ve presented at a conference also!

I didn’t do that well in my first years in college but really turned my grades around later.

LOR: 3 epi professor, supervisor for research, and my advisor
Interested in: Mph Epidemiology

Applied: NYU, Rutgers, CUNY, Columbia, University of Arizona, Icahn school of medicine at Mount Sinai

Rejected: CUNY

Am I going to get in anywhere??? I’m so stressed.

Has anyone gotten their Emory travel grant refunded yet?
I still haven't gotten mine yet so I emailed then a couple days ago and they informed me that my form was still pending so they changed my status and told me that I'll receive the award in a few days.

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Psychology/minor public health
GRE: Q 151 v 149 a 4.0
- assistant researcher. I’ve presented at a conference also!

I didn’t do that well in my first years in college but really turned my grades around later.

LOR: 3 epi professor, supervisor for research, and my advisor
Interested in: Mph Epidemiology

Applied: NYU, Rutgers, CUNY, Columbia, University of Arizona, Icahn school of medicine at Mount Sinai

Rejected: CUNY

Am I going to get in anywhere??? I’m so stressed.

Hang in there! If you don't get in this round, spend the year building up your stats by taking some post-bac courses, and try, try again.

I ended up getting a scholarship, so I was able to switch up my plans from part-time to full-time, and registered for classes this week. I'm really excited to get started! I'm doing a little double-dipping because I found out, last-minute, that I'm shy of a few elective credits for my MS, so I'm taking Etiology right now, and another Epi class this summer. So far just about everyone I've encountered in the program is delightful. I think I might start a thread for OHSU, if anyone else is interested?

This is for the students applying now or in the future and you are worried about your stats (low GPA, average GE & little to no experience)... because mines aren't pretty but I got into every single school I applied to so far... just waiting on Emory U's decision. There is definitely hope for you. Just make sure you try to do as best as you can on GRE or if not, you better write a darn good statement of purpose! Also, Keep in touch with your professors. You will need them. (I think it was my letters of rec and my statement that ultimately carried me).

Undergrad School: Santa Clara U
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
3.12 overall/ 3.02 science <- took a couple years off after HS and going back to college after a couple years hurt lol/ 3.76 public health as per SOPHAS calculation
Major/Minor: public health sciences, BS (more like 75% bio degree with public health electives honestly at my school)
GRE: 157 verbal and 155 quant (not that great but it was enough to be on the average matric. students) taken 02/2018... I only studied 3 weeks over winter break because I last minute decided I wanted to get a master's lol. As in... I decided on Dec 1st LOL.
- Almost 10 years of admin. experience in a dental clinic
- Taught disadvantaged 3-6 grade summer science & health program (elementary bio, chem, physics and general health (nutrition and environmental health/green energy)... made all my own curric. using state standards, made tests & designed my own labs... I now have a fat appreciation for grade school teachers... I almost died that summer because I was so exhausted but it was so worth it.)
- Research thesis on longterm exposure to discrimination in African American women & low birthweight/high IMR in the U.S.

Special factors:
- Minority Asian if that counts for anything (Cambodian heritage)
- Awarded my program's leadership project award
- Guest speaker at my school's public health symposium on children's education and impact on child health

Interested in: Health Policy & Management (HPM), I have a big interest in childhood stress and its impact on health (ACEs)
Applied: I applied for everything on its due date because I could not write a statement I felt proud of until days before so all apps were submitted on 04/30/18 LOL. UTHealth Houston (HPM), Texas A&M (HPM), Rice U (biosciences and health policy, MS), USC (HPM), Wash. U, St. Louis (HPM), George Wash. U (HPM), Emory U (HPM)
Accepted: Accepted to 6/7 within 3-4 weeks of app. submissions.... still waiting on Emory U. I also got like $25k for Wash U & may get $$ from Rice as well.
Rejected: None so far!
Waitlisted: None so far

Overall, I was debating hardcore between Rice U & UTHealth because I love that they are in the Medical Center (and I used to live in Houston and I loved it there) but I am taking Rice's offer since it is a MS over a MPH. It will offer me more doors I think if I choose to switch gears. The program is science, policy & management so I get a little of everything. I am still debating if I want to go strictly into policy, research or maybe budge and go to dental school like my parents want so their program was the most enticing... However, it was hard as hell to deny UTH considering that it is an awesome program as well.

So for anyone out there: You have an awesome chance to go wherever you want. I am not a stellar student. It took me a long ass time to finally decide what I wanted to do with my own life... but when I did, I did it well. From my experience, I find that actually engaging and reflecting on the experience you have is good for you. It helps make for a compelling story about who you are and you should not be ashamed to exhibit that on your SOP (personal strife & connection to public health is just as good as research/interning if you can phrase it right). I think I wrote a fairly genuine & good SOP (tied in all my work/research) & had great rec letters with professors I actually engaged with. I also got letters from my work experience & mentors for a grand total of 5 of them XD. Additionally, I included my research thesis I did in undergrad as a writing sample as well (which probably helped if they even read it). I know the schools I applied to are not JHU, Colombia or Yale (and I could have applied had I not lollygagged) but I do not particularly do well with cold lol. But it is not just about the name, it is about what opportunities you will have later. For me, Med Center Houston is where I want to be so that's where I am heading off to! Good luck & congrats to everyone! Do not give up! If I could wing it, you can too!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi All,

Been a lurker on the forum. I was just wondering if anyone is attending or thinking about attending University of Pittsburgh’s MPH program in Health Policy and Management.

Also, did any of you apply to Pitt’s program?

Thanks!

Hey guys I got accepted to CUNY SPH and SUNY Downstate School of Public Health...which one would you suggest is the better program?, I'm trying to decide.

Hey Guys!

I previously posted on the thread regarding University of Pittsburgh’s MPH program. I have been deciding between Boston University MPH and Pitts MPH program. I’m planning to concentrate in Health Policy & Mangament. Any advice or suggestions, trying to decide.

Thanks so much!

This is for the students applying now or in the future and you are worried about your stats (low GPA, average GE & little to no experience)... because mines aren't pretty but I got into every single school I applied to so far... just waiting on Emory U's decision. There is definitely hope for you. Just make sure you try to do as best as you can on GRE or if not, you better write a darn good statement of purpose! Also, Keep in touch with your professors. You will need them. (I think it was my letters of rec and my statement that ultimately carried me).

Undergrad School: Santa Clara U
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
3.12 overall/ 3.02 science <- took a couple years off after HS and going back to college after a couple years hurt lol/ 3.76 public health as per SOPHAS calculation
Major/Minor: public health sciences, BS (more like 75% bio degree with public health electives honestly at my school)
GRE: 157 verbal and 155 quant (not that great but it was enough to be on the average matric. students) taken 02/2018... I only studied 3 weeks over winter break because I last minute decided I wanted to get a master's lol. As in... I decided on Dec 1st LOL.
- Almost 10 years of admin. experience in a dental clinic
- Taught disadvantaged 3-6 grade summer science & health program (elementary bio, chem, physics and general health (nutrition and environmental health/green energy)... made all my own curric. using state standards, made tests & designed my own labs... I now have a fat appreciation for grade school teachers... I almost died that summer because I was so exhausted but it was so worth it.)
- Research thesis on longterm exposure to discrimination in African American women & low birthweight/high IMR in the U.S.

Special factors:
- Minority Asian if that counts for anything (Cambodian heritage)
- Awarded my program's leadership project award
- Guest speaker at my school's public health symposium on children's education and impact on child health

Interested in: Health Policy & Management (HPM), I have a big interest in childhood stress and its impact on health (ACEs)
Applied: I applied for everything on its due date because I could not write a statement I felt proud of until days before so all apps were submitted on 04/30/18 LOL. UTHealth Houston (HPM), Texas A&M (HPM), Rice U (biosciences and health policy, MS), USC (HPM), Wash. U, St. Louis (HPM), George Wash. U (HPM), Emory U (HPM)
Accepted: Accepted to 6/7 within 3-4 weeks of app. submissions.... still waiting on Emory U. I also got like $25k for Wash U & may get $$ from Rice as well.
Rejected: None so far!
Waitlisted: None so far

Overall, I was debating hardcore between Rice U & UTHealth because I love that they are in the Medical Center (and I used to live in Houston and I loved it there) but I am taking Rice's offer since it is a MS over a MPH. It will offer me more doors I think if I choose to switch gears. The program is science, policy & management so I get a little of everything. I am still debating if I want to go strictly into policy, research or maybe budge and go to dental school like my parents want so their program was the most enticing... However, it was hard as hell to deny UTH considering that it is an awesome program as well.

So for anyone out there: You have an awesome chance to go wherever you want. I am not a stellar student. It took me a long ass time to finally decide what I wanted to do with my own life... but when I did, I did it well. From my experience, I find that actually engaging and reflecting on the experience you have is good for you. It helps make for a compelling story about who you are and you should not be ashamed to exhibit that on your SOP (personal strife & connection to public health is just as good as research/interning if you can phrase it right). I think I wrote a fairly genuine & good SOP (tied in all my work/research) & had great rec letters with professors I actually engaged with. I also got letters from my work experience & mentors for a grand total of 5 of them XD. Additionally, I included my research thesis I did in undergrad as a writing sample as well (which probably helped if they even read it). I know the schools I applied to are not JHU, Colombia or Yale (and I could have applied had I not lollygagged) but I do not particularly do well with cold lol. But it is not just about the name, it is about what opportunities you will have later. For me, Med Center Houston is where I want to be so that's where I am heading off to! Good luck & congrats to everyone! Do not give up! If I could wing it, you can too!

**UPDATE: I got into Emory U for HPM! Woot! So my point still stands, you all have the ability to suceed anywhere and know you may quite possibly have too many offers to contend with =]

Anyone else dying to just start school already?

Reactions: 4 users
hey guys what do you think of Rutgers Epi VS Mount Sinai EPI?

Can you explain for me? I am starting in the Fall at Rutgers, taking summer classes now and I do not see anything that indicates that one school is ranked higher than the other.

If you were from NY/NJ, you definitely wouldn’t be asking this question. And if you are, you’ve been living under a rock.

Can you explain for me? I am starting in the Fall at Rutgers, taking summer classes now and I do not see anything that indicates that one school is ranked higher than the other.

Ranking =/= reputable.

Like @MedicineN'Jazz alluded to, Rutgers is not very well respected in the NYC/NJ area, and I'd go so far to say as that reputation holds true across the mid-Atlantic & New England regions. This isn't to say it's a bad school, poorly ranked school, or that the public health education isn't good-- I don't actually have any evidence that any of those things are true. What I do know, however, is that Rutgers as a university is widely regarded as a bit of a joke in the region, although it may not necessarily deserve this reputation.

Outside the region, however, it's reputation is pretty good, on par with most top state schools. I grew up in NJ and was subsequently floored during my time living in Ohio when people would talk about Rutgers academics as on par with Ohio State, Michigan, etc. after hearing most of my peers/town compare it unfavorably to our local community college my entire life. As another example of this, I knew someone with a BS from Rutgers with an insanely high GPA and impressive resume who was subsequently rejected from all grad programs in the tri-state area and accepted to all grad programs (many of which were more competitive) outside the region. In certain fields, Rutgers' reputation is excellent and many programs are highly ranked, though it's low on the public health US News rankings.

Mt. Sinai, on the other hand, is part of a major, old, and very respected hospital system. Icahn has a higher ranking and much better reputation than NJMS and RWJMS, and often times people (wrongly) conflate med school reputation with public health reputation. In general, the Mt. Sinai/Icahn name will get you much farther in the NYC area than the Rutgers name. But all this said, choosing a public health program should be more about fit than ranking and reputation. I hope @phm1234 is looking at course lists, faculty research, program size, etc. in making their decision as well, as I'm sure you did.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all, just seeing if anyone is still holding out for the CSUN application for fall. I called their office and they said that all decisions will be coming out this week and that not all acceptances have come out yet. Good luck y'all!

Ranking =/= reputable.

Like @MedicineN'Jazz alluded to, Rutgers is not very well respected in the NYC/NJ area, and I'd go so far to say as that reputation holds true across the mid-Atlantic & New England regions. This isn't to say it's a bad school, poorly ranked school, or that the public health education isn't good-- I don't actually have any evidence that any of those things are true. What I do know, however, is that Rutgers as a university is widely regarded as a bit of a joke in the region, although it may not necessarily deserve this reputation.

Outside the region, however, it's reputation is pretty good, on par with most top state schools. I grew up in NJ and was subsequently floored during my time living in Ohio when people would talk about Rutgers academics as on par with Ohio State, Michigan, etc. after hearing most of my peers/town compare it unfavorably to our local community college my entire life. As another example of this, I knew someone with a BS from Rutgers with an insanely high GPA and impressive resume who was subsequently rejected from all grad programs in the tri-state area and accepted to all grad programs (many of which were more competitive) outside the region. In certain fields, Rutgers' reputation is excellent and many programs are highly ranked, though it's low on the public health US News rankings.

Mt. Sinai, on the other hand, is part of a major, old, and very respected hospital system. Icahn has a higher ranking and much better reputation than NJMS and RWJMS, and often times people (wrongly) conflate med school reputation with public health reputation. In general, the Mt. Sinai/Icahn name will get you much farther in the NYC area than the Rutgers name. But all this said, choosing a public health program should be more about fit than ranking and reputation. I hope @phm1234 is looking at course lists, faculty research, program size, etc. in making their decision as well, as I'm sure you did.
Couldn't have said this better myself :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Ranking =/= reputable.

Yea I grew up in NJ and while looking at schools, made sure that I talked with the admission team, faculty and students, and after my discussions, just felt that it was a better fit for me. I know that undergraduate and graduate are two totally different things, but I have friends and family that have graduated from Rutgers and have not had any issues with getting into grad schools in the tri-state. As with most major state schools, there will be a large volume of students that are reporting from their "experience", but like you said @wwmmkk , I was looking for my fit and found it with them regardless of if was sleeping under a rock or not.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yea I grew up in NJ and while looking at schools, made sure that I talked with the admission team, faculty and students, and after my discussions, just felt that it was a better fit for me. I know that undergraduate and graduate are two totally different things, but I have friends and family that have graduated from Rutgers and have not had any issues with getting into grad schools in the tri-state. As with most major state schools, there will be a large volume of students that are reporting from their "experience", but like you said @wwmmkk , I was looking for my fit and found it with them regardless of if was sleeping under a rock or not.

Thanks for the feedback.
As a Rutgers grad, I wish you the best of luck :joyful:

I got accepted to John Hopkins in December for MPH in Epi. I didn’t message anyone, but I’m still waiting for financial aid.
Could you please elaborate on the requirements for getting into MPH Epi in John Hopkins! I am an Indian who did my MBBS from China and taken Step 1.

I hope everybody is well and excited for grad school! I can't wait to meet those of you who will be joining me at Emory this fall :)

I haven't posted in a while, but I realized that I forgot to share an important experience with you all. Specifically, my experience with waitlists and getting OFF of one. Sorry if this is long, it's a good story. Promise.

So basically, I was initially waitlisted when I applied to Hopkins and I was BUMMED. I spent way more time than I should have contemplating it, trying to figure out what exactly Hopkins didn't like about me. I got accepted to every other school I applied to (excellent schools too) and got a merit scholarship to every. single. one. of those schools. I should have been over the freaking moon with excitement, but I wasn't. It didn't matter how many prestigious scholarships I WAS good enough for, I only cared about the one thing I WASN'T good enough for.

So, after sitting on this feeling for far too long, I decided to e-mail JHU regarding my status on the waitlist and flat out asked why I got waitlisted. I needed closure. My application was re-opened shortly after, and I WAS ADMITTED ON THE SPOT. Unfortunately, this all panned out after I had accepted admission at Emory (should've emailed sooner) so I didn't really put much consideration into Hopkins. But let me tell you, it felt liberating as hell to get off that list.

I also realized in the process of getting pulled off of the waitlist that Hopkins wasn't the school for me. The illusion of Hopkins being my dream school shattered as soon as I got in. Don't get me wrong, Hopkins is incredible and is absolutely deserving of its #1 national ranking. BUT Emory's graduates go into fields that closer align with my interests, and Emory has incredible internships that even first year students can get. And Emory costed so much less with scholarships. Even my friend, a proud JHUSPH alum, told me that I was better off at Emory.

SO my silver linings for everyone out there dealing with waitlists/rejections:
--Contact the school if you really want off a waitlist. Because 1) it shows your continued interest 2) schools may re-evaluate your application (admissions can be subjective). I extended this advice to a friend who was on a waitlist at another school, and this person got off a waitlist too!
--Re-evaluate the situation. Is the school you were waitlisted/rejected by even really your dream school/program? or is it's selective admissions and reputation tricking you into thinking it is? If you conclude after exhaustive research that this is your dream school and only attending this school will make you happy, consider re-applying. Otherwise, forget about it. Nobody is going to be talking about how they got into Hopkins but decided not to go 20 years from now. And if they do, they're the worst kind of person.
--don't forget about your successes in the grad school process. Getting in is a big deal. Not every college graduate gets as far as grad school.
--If a school doesn't admit you, don't take it personally. Different schools and programs look for different qualities in candidates. Some schools pick candidates with strong GPAs, some schools want individuals with strong research backgrounds, and some schools thrive upon candidates with quirky experiences and talents. Also, very commonly, schools get 20 applicants who look the same on paper and only have room for 2 of them. The right fit for you will find you.

The Kween OUT *drops mic*

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Any one else constantly banging their head against a wall awaiting admission from Johns Hopkins? I feel like the only one. And ALL of my other schools accepted me (Posting my stats in a hot second).

Every time someone gets into Hopkins and I still have nothing in my email/portal, I die a little bit on the inside. Like congratulations, but also

If one more person gets into Hopkins and I don't hear anything, my head is going to explode. Like literally explode, not just metaphorically.

So first, I got no response from Hopkins on acceptance into the MSPH in GDEC and I was angry.

I hope everybody is well and excited for grad school! I can't wait to meet those of you who will be joining me at Emory this fall :)

I haven't posted in a while, but I realized that I forgot to share an important experience with you all. Specifically, my experience with waitlists and getting OFF of one. Sorry if this is long, it's a good story. Promise.

So basically, I was initially waitlisted when I applied to Hopkins and I was BUMMED. I spent way more time than I should have contemplating it, trying to figure out what exactly Hopkins didn't like about me. I got accepted to every other school I applied to (excellent schools too) and got a merit scholarship to every. single. one. of those schools. I should have been over the freaking moon with excitement, but I wasn't. It didn't matter how many prestigious scholarships I WAS good enough for, I only cared about the one thing I WASN'T good enough for.

So, after sitting on this feeling for far too long, I decided to e-mail JHU regarding my status on the waitlist and flat out asked why I got waitlisted. I needed closure. My application was re-opened shortly after, and I WAS ADMITTED ON THE SPOT. Unfortunately, this all panned out after I had accepted admission at Emory (should've emailed sooner) so I didn't really put much consideration into Hopkins. But let me tell you, it felt liberating as hell to get off that list.

I also realized in the process of getting pulled off of the waitlist that Hopkins wasn't the school for me. The illusion of Hopkins being my dream school shattered as soon as I got in. Don't get me wrong, Hopkins is incredible and is absolutely deserving of its #1 national ranking. BUT Emory's graduates go into fields that closer align with my interests, and Emory has incredible internships that even first year students can get. And Emory costed so much less with scholarships. Even my friend, a proud JHUSPH alum, told me that I was better off at Emory.

Otherwise, forget about it. Nobody is going to be talking about how they got into Hopkins but decided not to go 20 years from now. And if they do, they're the worst kind of person.

The Kween OUT *drops mic*

Wow, this is a pretty amazing series of posts.

So . . . basically you really wanted to go to JHU, and you accepted Emory as a second choice, but emailed Hopkins for closure and they let you in, but unfortunately you're going to Emory, but maybe that is better for you because somebody at JHU told you that you should go to Emory??? And something happened when you got off the wait-list at JHU that you suddenly realized the school wasn't for you?

They are both really good schools, and global epidemiology sounds super interesting! So, look at it from the angle that Emory is lucky to have you be a student and work really hard to show them how much you love the field. Both schools probably have countless opportunities, but work hard to find them and I hope you have a good time at Emory.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I understand that this forum is for 2018, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback concerning my 2019 app!

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94/3.94
Major/Minor: Biomedical Sciences with minors in Public Health and Pharmacology & Toxicology
GradGPA
(if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable): NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160Q, 158V, 4.5AW

-Thesis exploring the feasibility of a health promotion strategy at a local food truck event

-3 years as a research assistant in a child health and behavior lab examining the interactions between developmental psychology and early-childhood health behavior and obesity prevention

-2 years as a research assistant in the school of public health emphasizing patient-provider communication concerning the role of PrEP on the continuum of HIV care

-1 year as a research assistant in a county emergency department examining the intersections of public health, health communication and risk perception in regards to emergency medicine

-Intern at the county health department in the bureau of community wellness

-3 years as a teaching assistant for a service-learning based class through the University’s Honors college exploring the intersections of community, health and social justice

Special factors:
- work 20 hours a week as a Barista at a local coffee shop

Interested in: UNC (MSPH-PhD in Health Behavior), Emory (BSHE), Boston University, Johns Hopkins (MHS in Social Factors in Health), UPitt (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences), UIC (Community Health Sciences), UB (Community Health and Health Behavior)

Hi everyone! I understand that this forum is for 2018, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback concerning my 2019 app!

Major/Minor: Biomedical Sciences with minors in Public Health and Pharmacology & Toxicology
GradGPA

-Thesis exploring the feasibility of a health promotion strategy at a local food truck event

-3 years as a research assistant in a child health and behavior lab examining the interactions between developmental psychology and early-childhood health behavior and obesity prevention

-2 years as a research assistant in the school of public health emphasizing patient-provider communication concerning the role of PrEP on the continuum of HIV care

-1 year as a research assistant in a county emergency department examining the intersections of public health, health communication and risk perception in regards to emergency medicine

-3 years as a teaching assistant for a service-learning based class through the University’s Honors college exploring the intersections of community, health and social justice

Special factors:

Interested in: UNC (MSPH-PhD in Health Behavior), Emory (BSHE), Boston University, Johns Hopkins (MHS in Social Factors in Health), UPitt (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences), UIC (Community Health Sciences), UB (Community Health and Health Behavior)

I got to Hopkins and I didn't realize we had that degree lol. Is it new?

Anyway, you'll be fine getting accepted into all of the master programs as long as you get good recs and write a decent statement...not sure about MSPH-PhD because doctoral programs can be a whole other random beast.

GradGPA

Special factors:

You have relatively similar stats to me, so I'm guessing you'll get in to most, if not all, the programs you apply-- and hopefully some with scholarships! Best of luck!

Hello all!

***Fall 2019 Applicant

I realize that this thread is for Fall 2018 applicants but I am hoping you all could help me understand if there are any things I can do in the next few months to strengthen my application. I'm a little nervous about my GPA (thank you, Chemistry), but hopefully my other post-grad experiences will help.

Undergrad School: UNC-CH
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.33
Major/Minor: Biology, Psychology
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 04/2018 - 163V, 152Q, 4.5AW (retaking in Sept. to hopefully improve Q score)
Post-grad
- 2 years as a healthcare consultant
- 2 years as a quality specialist for a healthcare system
- 4 years as a volunteer for a refugee resettlement agency (ESL tutoring and citizenship workshop volunteer)
- certified yoga teacher
- church bible study leader
- mentor with a nonprofit focused on helping young mothers

Undergrad
- 2 years as a research assistant in a clinical psych lab
- VP of a campus chapter of a global justice nonprofit
- intern for a refugee resettlement agency
- leader in campus ministry

Rec letters: professor from undergrad research, both employers

Interested in: UNC, Emory, George Washington, UIC, Northwestern, UAB, Duke... still trying to figure out some other public options because paying for private school makes me want to curl up into the fetal position
Applied: N/A
Accepted: N/A
Rejected:N/A
Waitlisted:N/A

Hello all!

***Fall 2019 Applicant

I realize that this thread is for Fall 2018 applicants but I am hoping you all could help me understand if there are any things I can do in the next few months to strengthen my application. I'm a little nervous about my GPA (thank you, Chemistry), but hopefully my other post-grad experiences will help.

Undergrad School: UNC-CH
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.33
Major/Minor: Biology, Psychology
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 04/2018 - 163V, 152Q, 4.5AW (retaking in Sept. to hopefully improve Q score)
Post-grad
- 2 years as a healthcare consultant
- 2 years as a quality specialist for a healthcare system
- 4 years as a volunteer for a refugee resettlement agency (ESL tutoring and citizenship workshop volunteer)
- certified yoga teacher
- church bible study leader
- mentor with a nonprofit focused on helping young mothers

Undergrad
- 2 years as a research assistant in a clinical psych lab
- VP of a campus chapter of a global justice nonprofit
- intern for a refugee resettlement agency
- leader in campus ministry

Rec letters: professor from undergrad research, both employers

Interested in: UNC, Emory, George Washington, UIC, Northwestern, UAB, Duke... still trying to figure out some other public options because paying for private school makes me want to curl up into the fetal position

I think re-taking the GRE is a good idea because you are on the edge between "getting in" and "getting in with money" to these schools. Unfortunately it looks like your in-state option (UNC, I'm assuming) is also the most competitive program you're applying to. The public/private money divide isn't as big for grad school as for undergrad, though. At least for MPH programs, many private schools offer scholarships that make their actual tuition price equal to if not less than public schools. I'm not sure what your specific interest in public health is, but you might consider adding Minnesota, Drexel, or Colorado School of Public Health to your list as they have good fin aid/scholarship reputations. I think Emory and GWU do as well.

Is Duke CEPH certified? I couldn't find anything mentioning so on its site. It looks like their degree is an MS though, and I'm not sure CEPH is as important for MS programs as MPH programs. I'd look carefully at their curriculum to make sure it prepares you for your future goals either way.

As a side note, somebody should really start a 2019 thread! I'll do it if no one else has by the time SOPHAS opens.

I think re-taking the GRE is a good idea because you are on the edge between "getting in" and "getting in with money" to these schools. Unfortunately it looks like your in-state option (UNC, I'm assuming) is also the most competitive program you're applying to. The public/private money divide isn't as big for grad school as for undergrad, though. At least for MPH programs, many private schools offer scholarships that make their actual tuition price equal to if not less than public schools. I'm not sure what your specific interest in public health is, but you might consider adding Minnesota, Drexel, or Colorado School of Public Health to your list as they have good fin aid/scholarship reputations. I think Emory and GWU do as well.

Is Duke CEPH certified? I couldn't find anything mentioning so on its site. It looks like their degree is an MS though, and I'm not sure CEPH is as important for MS programs as MPH programs. I'd look carefully at their curriculum to make sure it prepares you for your future goals either way.

As a side note, somebody should really start a 2019 thread! I'll do it if no one else has by the time SOPHAS opens.

I've been nervous that I may not get in anywhere since this process is so competitive, but I appreciate your encouragement (not that you are the final word, of course... but you know what I mean).

Good call on Duke. Looks like it isn't CEPH accredited. I haven't researched the program that much but have heard that you should try to go to school in the area where you want to end up (and would love, love, love to be back in the Triangle area in NC). I'm currently in Illinois (hence UIC and Northwestern), but would prefer to be elsewhere. I'll definitely check out some of the other schools you listed and will look more at some of the other private schools in case they have scholarships available. Thanks again!

Hi guys! I am a medical student from Russia. I wish to take USMLE steps after my graduation. I will be graduating next year (June 2019).

I recently came across this thread and couldn’t help but send you guys a msg in order to get some perspective.

I have a few queries:
1) Is it a good idea to take GRE and TOFEL and go for a Master's program (eg.MPH) in the US and take the USMLE steps concurrent to the Masters program?

2)Will I get enough time to prepare well for the exam or is the MPH course quite draining?

3) Also, are there enough job prospects in USA after completion of the MPH program??

Waiting eagerly for your reply.

Hey, I would like to share what I found during my research for MPH. First thing first, for an international student, MPH would cost at least 60k. And that's just the tuition. GRE/TOEFL/Application would be addition. On top of it, options for financial aid and scholarships are extremely limited. So, if you only want to buy time to prepare for steps, MPH is the most expensive option you have there. I wouldnt say its good idea if you want to do MPH to find time for steps.

I have read few(1-2) match experiences of people in the forums, where they said that they compromised their scores while taking steps simultaneously with MPH. I can imagine that since moving to a new country, adjusting with the new school, new culture, learning new stuffs while preparing for a challenging exam sounds like a Herculean task. Personally, MPH is in itself a great learning experience and I would not like to go into it with a preoccupied mind.

Yes, there are varied job prospects after MPH. You can also get postdoctoral research and other research positions but MPH is not a requirement for them. You can apply for them without masters too.

I would suggest you to figure out first if you want to do MPH and why. As far as having time to prepare and giving steps is concerned, I believe ppl have done that being a research volunteer too.
This is just my two cents. Best luck for your plans! :)

Hi guys! I am a medical student from Russia. I wish to take USMLE steps after my graduation. I will be graduating next year (June 2019).

I recently came across this thread and couldn’t help but send you guys a msg in order to get some perspective.

I have a few queries:
1) Is it a good idea to take GRE and TOFEL and go for a Master's program (eg.MPH) in the US and take the USMLE steps concurrent to the Masters program?

2)Will I get enough time to prepare well for the exam or is the MPH course quite draining?

3) Also, are there enough job prospects in USA after completion of the MPH program??

Waiting eagerly for your reply.

Hey, I would like to share what I found during my research for MPH. First thing first, for an international student, MPH would cost at least 60k. And that's just the tuition. GRE/TOEFL/Application would be addition. On top of it, options for financial aid and scholarships are extremely limited. So, if you only want to buy time to prepare for steps, MPH is the most expensive option you have there. I wouldnt say its good idea if you want to do MPH to find time for steps.

I have read few(1-2) match experiences of people in the forums, where they said that they compromised their scores while taking steps simultaneously with MPH. I can imagine that since moving to a new country, adjusting with the new school, new culture, learning new stuffs while preparing for a challenging exam sounds like a Herculean task. Personally, MPH is in itself a great learning experience and I would not like to go into it with a preoccupied mind.

Yes, there are varied job prospects after MPH. You can also get postdoctoral research and other research positions but MPH is not a requirement for them. You can apply for them without masters too.

I would suggest you to figure out first if you want to do MPH and why. As far as having time to prepare and giving steps is concerned, I believe ppl have done that being a research volunteer too.
This is just my two cents. Best luck for your plans! :)

Thank you so much for reverting back. Can you please let me know the ways in which I can apply for research positions without taking the steps? I would like to join as a research assistant and simultaneously apply for usmle steps!

***Fall 2019 Applicant

I realize that this thread is for Fall 2018 applicants but I am hoping you all could help me gauge my app and see if there are any things I can do to strengthen it. My situation is a little different as for some schools I'd like to apply to both MPH/MBA programs while for others I will just be applying to MPH programs. I'm mostly interested in seeing if I'm eligible for scholarship money as that will play a big roll in what program I choose. Do you guys happen to know if by applying to both degrees I'm hurting my chances in any way? My essays are done (wouldn't mind another pair of eyes to look them over), just need to ask for recs.

Undergrad School: UVA 2015
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.234
(too low?)
Major/Minor: Biology, French
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 05/2018 - 162V (91%), 161Q (77%), 4.5AW (82%) (worth it to retake?)

Post-grad
- 3 years as a lab tech in a pathology/immunology wet lab (ELISAs, rodent experiments, etc.) specifically looking at alloimmunization due to blood transfusions
- contributed to several grants, on a few abstracts, and at least one paper as 2nd author (may have more submitted by application time)​
- 2 years as a volunteer at my local free clinic working as an interpreter/ doing general odds and ends for them
- 1.5 years as a volunteer at my local health department where we do regular community outreach and have preventative health fairs, etc.
- a few months with free clinic finance director and an accounting class at local community college
- taken a few courses in SAS, R, and Python

Undergrad
- 1 year as a undergraduate researcher in an atherosclerosis lab
- 1 year as a volunteer teaching recently arrived immigrants/refugees conversational English

Rec letters: PI from undergrad research, current PI, director of medical clinic operations at my local free clinic

Special factors:
- Latino, 2nd-gen immigrant
- first-gen college student
- native spanish-speaker, advanced in French

Interested in: Particularly interested in Epidemiology/Infectious Disease and doing field work at first through local health department or WHO.

JHU (MPH/MBA), Emory (MPH/MBA), GWU (MPH - GHEDC), UVA (MPH/MBA), Washington University (MPH/MBA)....anything else I should add? debating on Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Yale

Does anyone know about the admissions process/acceptance rates for the University of Louisville? As well as their Global Health Program?
Most schools and programs of public health link to a PDF of their self-study in the accreditation section of their website. Usually, admission stats are included near the end of the self-study in a section on student recruitment. Stats from serval years ago are included in Louisville’s.

I visited and was accepted to U of L’s epi program last cycle but won’t be attending. Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions about their admissions process.

What is considered a short low GRE score? I have yet to take the exam and I’m pretty nervous about it. Also, is it worth attempting to learn the math on the GRE? How many weeks to prepare?

1. Yes, absolutely study for the math GRE...unless you happen to be able to rattle off the formula of a trapezoid in your head at this very moment.
2. A low score depends on the school you want to attend and if you need funding. More highly ranked schools are going to tend to be more inflexible on GRE scores, but (& sorry to be a cynic) MPH programs can be a bit of 'cash-cow' programs, meaning they are more willing to take on lower GRE scores than PhD program would because it tends to be money in their pocket. Certainly aim above 150 I would think...