Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by ConfusedAsUsual, Aug 15, 2017.

1. wes_moss_the_science_boss

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Still waiting on CSUN as well, have you received any news yet?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NardwuarKnowsEverything

Other Health Professions Student
    I had a friend (not on SDN to my knowledge) who was accepted to the CSUN online MPH program maybe within the last week or two.

4. dodgers4life

Sorry for the late reply, but it's Epidemiology!

LG_MPHD likes this.
  5. LG_MPHD

Congrats! Join the accepted NYU mph students page on Facebook to answer questions and join the community!! See you in the fall!

6. MovingForward

Pre-Medical
    I should really make a Facebook LOL.

7. wes_moss_the_science_boss

Ok cool, I'm applying for an on campus degree so our notifications will probably come later, thanks for the reply!

8. mph2018fall

Has anyone heard back from Columbia's waitlist for hpm?

9. Cassatrass

Am I the only one anxious about going back to school after a few years out? Ahhhhh. So excited & yet so nervous!!!

Also, planning a cross-country move is crazy! I have literally no energy to focus on my current job haha

10. skcolley

YES. so so much! My advisor has already sent me papers to read and wants to discuss thesis topics "soon"...holy cow, it definitely feels real now! Ahh!

11. JDGBruin1317

It's weird to say but I'm still nervous to start grad school even though I'm deferring for a year; however, at the same time, I'm so anxious and excited that I wish I was starting tomorrow...as crazy as that sounds! lol :p

I'll be spending this next year exploring different jobs within public health and hopefully my department, so I can come into my program having a pretty good idea of what kind of career and workplace I want to gain experience in and work at after graduation. :)

aconty and x0n like this.
  12. idepi

Not sure if I’m just being overly anxious but is it normal to have not heard anything from your school since submitting the admissions deposit? (referring to Harvard specifically if there are any other future Harvard grad students in this thread!)

JDGBruin1317, Astaclover and Noyce like this.
  13. JDGBruin1317

Yeah, I think it's pretty normal. I don't know about Harvard but Emory starts sending out information regarding orientation and enrollment late May I believe. You can try emailing/calling admissions about orientation information and any further instructions. :)

idepi likes this.
  14. vodkaaunt

Has anyone gotten money from Emory's travel grant yet? o_O

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  15. Cassatrass

I literally emailed them an hour ago haha

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. vodkaaunt

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it!

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  18. Cassatrass

They're currently processing all the paperwork and they'll contact us if there are any issues with our forms. :)

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  19. JDGBruin1317

Thanks for the update! I thought they forgot about us. :p

20. vodkaaunt

If I received an email about how to solve errors in the receipt, but not an email about *having an error*, does that mean mine was fine? That was a confusing email.

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  21. JDGBruin1317

I agree it was confusing; I had to reread the email a couple times. lol I'm going to send them an email to see if there was an error in my receipt. I haven't received any prior information about any errors on my part but I just want to make sure things are good.

22. Cassatrass

I agree. I just resent my ach form to the email with a physical signature and scanned on my phone.

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  23. MHAMPH2018

Hey, did you hear back anything? I'm in the same boat as you.

24. spacewitch

I'm also waitlisted for HPM and I have been pretty annoying to them but haven't heard back anything...

25. MHAMPH2018

Same! I guess we will hear back on the 15th then. Do you know how they admit students from the waitlist?

26. blb95

Non-Student
    Filled out a request to transfer departments at Emory and it was approved! So I will be matriculating in the Emory EPI Department! :rofl:

27. JDGBruin1317

Congrats! What department did you switch from?

28. pugluvr57

Still waiting on UCI as well :(

29. pugluvr57

Do you happen to have who you contacted? I’ve reached out multiple times and still haven’t heard anything!!

30. blb95

Non-Student
    From BSHE! I want to do more research-based work and the EPI department will fit that more.

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  31. Pbhlth222

Does anyone know is Emory matches aid? I got a pretty good scholarship from BU the other day and just wanted to see if that would work in my favor...

32. aethermist

It's worth trying, but they didn't do it for me. They offered me a little extra though!

33. Pbhlth222

Cool, is there someone I email or do I do the financial aid appeal?

34. aethermist

I think it's just the financial aid appeal.

35. phm1234

did you get accepted to columbia?

36. phm1234

Undergrad School:
    Undergrad GPA:
    Major: Psychology
    GRE: - 146 V, 151 Q, 4 AW
    Experience/Research (please, be brief):

1 year assistant researcher

Interested in: MPH - Epidemiology

Applied
    : Columbia, NYU, Rutgers, CUNY
    Accepted:
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:

can anyone tell me what they think about my stats? will i get into any program???

#5284 phm1234, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  37. jumpinjehoshaphat14

Hi all, congrats to all who've been accepted to MPH programs for this fall! Although I haven't posted yet, this forum has been a great source of help (and motivation!) to me over the last several months. Just wanted to share my info with you all in case it helps anyone this year or in future years. I was very nervous about applying with an atypical background and poor GPA and late in the cycle, but things worked out for the best for me. FYI, I only applied to part time programs.

---

Undergrad School:
    public Ivy / top 10 engineering program
    Undergrad GPA: 2.67/4.00 (yikes, I know!)
    Major: Civil/Environmental Engineering
    GRE: 170 V, 168 Q, 5.0 AW (March 2017)
    Experience: 3 yrs in sales and marketing roles at one of the largest tech/AI corporations, focused on their healthcare business. 2 of my recommendations came from my managers/supervisors. several leadership roles in student organizations and non-academic recognitions and honors in undergrad.
    Special factors: also a semi-professional dancer. 1 of my recommendations came from my dance teacher of ~20 yrs. (I know this isn't relevant to my academic/professional background, but I think this recommendation went a long way in rounding out my personality and discussing my discipline/commitment)

Interested in: biostatistics, informatics, public health technology
    Applied: BU (1/5, epi/biostats), Dartmouth (1/28, executive MPH), Emory (2/23, public health informatics), Drexel (3/15, executive MPH)
    Accepted: BU (1/30, $18k), Emory (3/8), Dartmouth (4/1, $20k), Drexel (5/3, $15k)
    Rejected: n/a
    Waitlisted: n/a

---

I ended up choosing Dartmouth because of how close and intimate the program felt, and the great conversations I had with professors over email, phone, and in person. I know there isn't a lot of info out there about Dartmouth's program (especially their part-time/online option), so I'm glad to answer any questions about it that others may have!

#5285 jumpinjehoshaphat14, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  38. wwmmkk

You didn't give us much information to go on here! Public health admissions is about telling your story and displaying your unique interest in public health. Conveying passion is arguably just as important as stats. Check out the post linked in my signature for more information about applying.

All that said, I think your GRE scores are low for epidemiology. Quantitative skills are especially important, and I would recommend aiming for at least the 60th percentile in the quant section of the GRE and the 70th if you do not have strong grades in multiple math or statistics courses. With just this information about you, I would say you would likely be rejected from Columbia and NYU because of your quantitative score. Rutgers and CUNY are more up in the air. You have plenty of time to retake the GRE and boost your score if you are applying for Fall 2019. This year's admissions cycle is all but over.

JDGBruin1317 and Cassatrass like this.
  39. x0n

x0n

If you’re really not a strong test-taker and don’t want to take it again (speaking for myself), I would recommend switching your concentration. Epi programs are very competitive and demand higher scores. CUNY is definitely a good option for you since your GPA is high but I should warn you that their admissions committee is not the most pleasant. I would add NYMC to your list- they don’t look at GRE scores (so you might have a shot at epi depending on other factors of your application).

wwmmkk and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  40. JDGBruin1317

Like others have said, your test scores are on the low side, however, if you can convey your passion, interests, and work/volunteer experience effectively in your personal statement, and able to get awesome letter of recs, you may have a fair shot in getting into some of the programs. Are applying for this fall or next fall? I think that's important to decipher because if you're applying for the next cycle, you may have time to study and retake the GRE if you want to. If you don't want to retake the GRE, you can try applying to programs that don't require scores. Good luck!

wwmmkk likes this.
  41. kaybaybay

Hi! You will definitely get into a program. I know a lot of the posters above are discouraging you from Epi. But please don't be discouraged! Your test scores are not everything. Be sure to write a great statement of purpose and emphasize your passion and interest for the field you want to study. Also, immerse yourself in the field right now and know how to talk about that in your essays! You mentioned you are an assistant researcher, which is great. I will be attending UCLA for my MPH in Epidemiology this fall. And my stats were - 146 V, 156 Q, 4 AW, GPA 3.0 (did my undergrad at UCLA.) I was very nervous because of my stats, but you will never know if you never try.

macko126 and MHAMPH2018 like this.
  42. wwmmkk

There is a really big difference between a 156Q (~59th percentile) and a 147Q (~27th percentile) GRE. A personal statement can be used to demonstrate verbal proficiency and compensate for a poor verbal GRE score, but there's no equivalent of that for math. It's entirely possible I'm overestimating the importance of quantitative GRE scores in getting into strong epi programs, but I stand by my argument that @phm1234 should re-take the GRE if they have time/resources to do so. They should aim for a quant score around yours (at minimum) if they would like a shot at Columbia or NYU.

43. wes_moss_the_science_boss

You too? When did the applications close for UCI? The stress of this process is killing me :(.

44. phm1234

thank you so much! i really hope i get in! congratulations to you!!! :)

kaybaybay likes this.
  45. phm1234

Hi thank you! I am also planning on applying to mount sinai! do you think i will get in? also, how do you like it so far?

46. phm1234

I want to start this fall 2018 :/ I retook the GRE today and got a 151 Q and went down in Verbal at a 146 :/ i didnt do much better. I hope my GPA and rec letters help me.

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  47. JDGBruin1317

Like another poster mentioned, test scores aren't everything. Pretty much all public health masters program practice holistic reviews and take into account everything that is in a students application, especially experience in the field. At this point, there isn't much you can do besides be patient. My scores are a little lower than yours, but I still got into 3 out of the 4 programs I applied to, so hang in there! :)

I am aware that you applied to different programs and submitted later into the cycle than I did, but you never know what to expect with these schools. Good luck with your admissions! :D

phm1234 and kaybaybay like this.
  48. x0n

x0n

Honestly, I and a few of fellow future peers I know were just as surprised as I was that they got in to Mount Sinai since we didn’t have the best test scores. I think this is where the idea of a holistic admissions process plays in a lot. I don’t think I would have gotten selected without the help of my personal statement, experiences, and recommendations- so if you have something like that, that will make you stand out, I think you have a fair shot :)

Classes don’t start until September but I’ve had a pleasant experience with the school community, staff, and especially at Admitted Students Day. They’re wonderful with communication, friendliness, everything. And mind you, I applied in February for them, since my original four schools I applied to, gave me no positive news. They take around 2-4 weeks to give you back a decision. Being the largest healthcare system in NYC and way cheaper than all of the schools I got accepted to (and NYU *waitlisted*, which was my original target), it was a really easy decision for me. Also, I realized from other schools that epi is competive but guess what this school offers? Health Promotion and disease prevention! Similar to epi, but just that underlying concept.

Lmk if you have any more questions, you can feel free to PM me also :) test scores are not everything— I went thru the same feeling you’re feeling throughout my application process. If I didn’t give up, you shouldn’t either!

Also my stats are lower than yours, if that tells you anything haha

phm1234, JDGBruin1317 and drevolution like this.
  49. drevolution

As everyone else have already mentioned, scores aren't everything. But you might need higher scores to get into places like Columbia.

I suggest you to focus on parts of your application that you have control over - mainly your PS.

If your LORs are positive+not generic and you write a PS that speaks of your passion for public health and epidemiology, considering your scores and GPA I think you have a shot at CUNY, and definitely NYMC where they don't even require GRE scores. You can try Drexel, ETSU, and Tulane too because I have similar scores to you (but yours are better!) and I got acceptances into their Epi programs. I had average scores in UG and a below average gre score, but I think my PS is what helped me compensate those.

And since you have working experience as a RA it is a huge positive factor in your profile, especially for epi programs.

I think it is very important to know why you want to pursue a particular specialisation just as much as why you are interested in public health. So if you can write a PS in a compeling story style format explaining your interests then you are good to go.

You can of course always retake GRE (there is plenty of time to retake assuming that you plan on applying in the next cycle).
    Otherwise, work on your PS. Feel free to PM me if you want any assistance with your PS. :)

50. pugluvr57

Apps closed Dec 15, I’m unsure if there was a secondary deadline. Contacted admissions and they said they’ll let everyone know of their decisions by the end of the quarter(around mid June, I believe?). It’s super frustrating :(

51. wes_moss_the_science_boss

The CSUN app had a priority deadline of November 1st then a final deadline on May 1st. I'm pretty sure we won't here back until June as well. The anxiety builds...stay strong :'(

52. numbersloth

Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
    Just got an email with an acceptance to UCLA. Can anyone tell me more about their Epi program and how they compare to UMich and JHU?