MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How would the commute be driving?

My biggest reservation is, as a woman, not feeling safe walking around my own city at night. I know Baltimore has come a long way but it still is not the safest of cities (for reference I've lived in Boston, NYC, and DC) and I fear I would feel a bit like a prisoner in my own town.

If you want to plan on driving from DC to Baltimore everyday, then I'd expect a 1:30 commute (maybe even 2 hours on really bad days) each way in rush hour. Having a car in DC will also be very expensive, but if you've lived there before, you should already be familiar with that. All cities have neighborhoods that are safe and neighborhoods that aren't. I've know a few girls in their mid-20s who have lived in downtown Baltimore for a few years and didn't say anything about not being safe. It's all about where you choose to live in cities and making smart decisions when you're out at night. My $0.02 would be to live in Baltimore.

I lived on the other side of DC in VA about 15 miles from my office in Arlington. It would regularly take me 50 minutes to drive to work and would cost $17 a day in tolls/parking costs. I would bike sometimes and it would take the same amount of time to get there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to plan on driving from DC to Baltimore everyday, then I'd expect a 1:30 commute (maybe even 2 hours on really bad days) each way in rush hour. Having a car in DC will also be very expensive, but if you've lived there before, you should already be familiar with that. All cities have neighborhoods that are safe and neighborhoods that aren't. I've know a few girls in their mid-20s who have lived in downtown Baltimore for a few years and didn't say anything about not being safe. It's all about where you choose to live in cities and making smart decisions when you're out at night. My $0.02 would be to live in Baltimore.

I lived on the other side of DC in VA about 15 miles from my office in Arlington. It would regularly take me 50 minutes to drive to work and would cost $17 a day in tolls/parking costs. I would bike sometimes and it would take the same amount of time to get there.

Agree with this. It took me a solid hour on Saturday and that was with not bad traffic. It could easily be an hour and a half to two hours each way during the week. Have you spoken with current students? While you may have to be a bit more careful about walking alone at night in Baltimore, all of the current students I spoke with said they felt safe.

Hoping that you are all so well experienced in this process that you can help me out. I am planning to apply for admission for fall 2019. I will be abroad for most of the summer with limited internet access so won’t be able to start the SOPHAS process until I return in the fall. I plan to do as much prep as I can before leaving. I’ll be home for a few short weeks and plan to have SOPHAS applications submitted by the end of November. I am then leaving again for several months and again will have sporadic and poor quality internet access. I am concerned about programs that have supplemental applications (Berkeley, U South Florida, Arizona etc). I will have to complete these applications while traveling. Could anyone shed some light for me on what’s involved in the supplemental applications, other than paying more money?
At least I’ll be so unplugged and busy that I won’t have time to obsess about watching for acceptances!

I'm sure it's fine! Make sure to fill out your FAFSA and turn in your application before the priority deadlines for maximum consideration for scholarships.

As for internet access, make sure to check your email at least once a week if you can. If you are in a rural community, see if you can make it into town once a week or just ask around. November is actually very early!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, fellow incoming COPHP-er here!! My reasons for picking the program are very similar to yours. Let's connect! :)
Can we create a thread for UW....a fellow husky newbie tho for GH

Hoping that you are all so well experienced in this process that you can help me out. I am planning to apply for admission for fall 2019. I will be abroad for most of the summer with limited internet access so won’t be able to start the SOPHAS process until I return in the fall. I plan to do as much prep as I can before leaving. I’ll be home for a few short weeks and plan to have SOPHAS applications submitted by the end of November. I am then leaving again for several months and again will have sporadic and poor quality internet access. I am concerned about programs that have supplemental applications (Berkeley, U South Florida, Arizona etc). I will have to complete these applications while traveling. Could anyone shed some light for me on what’s involved in the supplemental applications, other than paying more money?
At least I’ll be so unplugged and busy that I won’t have time to obsess about watching for acceptances!
I applied to Arizona. Even though the supplement is basically extra money, their admission process is a two step process, 1 for the public health and 1 for the graduate admissions in general. If you get a waiver for SOPHAS, they'll waive it also.

Hey all!
Has anyone heard in regards to their waitlist for NYU?
Nope, I’ve been contacting them for a long time and kinda gave up on hearing from them. They’re not even sure when you’ll hear back— crazy disorganized. They gave me an estimate between April-August, so I took that as I’m better off committing elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Midnight Cafe. Just a quick question. FAFSA is just for US citizens right?
I believe that I can still qualify for scholarships at some schools but not loans. (I’m Canadian.)
Tbh I have no clue how competitive I will be for admissions at all and plan to apply to many programs, about half MPH and half MSc Global Health. My GPA (estimated by WES) is 3.9 in a very tough, highly competitive life sciences undergrad. Haven’t written GRE yet (studying intensively for next month and plan to write in June). But I have little to none public health experience (hence the major overseas aspect to my upcoming gap year). I guess I spent too much of my undergrad studying instead of volunteering! Everyone I see posting in this forum seems to have massive amounts of experience. My interests lie in Global Health, One Health and Infectious Disease Control. But not in pure epidemiology focus.
Anyways best of luck to you and congratulations on your acceptances.
Public health programs look at you more holistically. You have a great GPA, so even if you do alright on the GRE you should still get into some top programs. I applied only having psychology research experience, no “public health” experience, and a lot of social justice work experience on my campus. My majors were conservation bio and psych. I applied wanted to do epi of infectious disease and made sure my personal statement reflected that. I had no problem being accepted.

Long story short: make sure your personal statement shows your passion and that it connects what you have done with what you want to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Nope, I’ve been contacting them for a long time and kinda gave up on hearing from them. They’re not even sure when you’ll hear back— crazy disorganized. They gave me an estimate between April-August, so I took that as I’m better off committing elsewhere.
I feel ya. I hate that generic answer that they just copy and paste. I saw around this time last year people were getting updates so I hope we do too. I think if I don't hear by end of May, I am just going to commit elsewhere.

I feel ya. I hate that generic answer that they just copy and paste. I saw around this time last year people were getting updates so I hope we do too. I think if I don't hear by end of May, I am just going to commit elsewhere.

And that’s totally ok. Just do keep in mind that the way an admissions committee is, kind of reflects what you may experience your time there. I know you heard back more recently, but I found out I was waitlisted in December. I kept getting the same answer over and over with no one ever willing to tell me something that would apply to me individually. That’s why I committed to Mount Sinai, where they would actually tell me ‘2 more weeks’ or something and stuck to their agenda, of course unbothered and friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
And that’s totally ok. Just do keep in mind that the way an admissions committee is, kind of reflects what you may experience your time there. I know you heard back more recently, but I found out I was waitlisted in December. I kept getting the same answer over and over with no one ever willing to tell me something that would apply to me individually. That’s why I committed to Mount Sinai, where they would actually tell me ‘2 more weeks’ or something and stuck to their agenda, of course unbothered and friendly.
That is true! I mean, like I totally respect it but at the same time, a little time frame or something would be helpful! I think Mt. Sinai is a great school. And in addition to NYU, I feel like how would I afford this lol

That is true! I mean, like I totally respect it but at the same time, a little time frame or something would be helpful! I think Mt. Sinai is a great school. And in addition to NYU, I feel like how would I afford this lol

Yeah that’s exactly what I mean. What other options do you have?

Just got off the waitlist for JHU MSPH in Global Disease Epidemiology and Control! Anyone attend the revisit day for this program and can give me a recap and overview of your thoughts on the program?
How awesome that you got off the waitlist!! Congrats!

What programs are you looking into? Some that I've seen waives the GRE if you have a masters I believe, but it depends on the department and/or school. If you were applying to PhD programs straight after undergrad, the GRE would be required.
I would be looking after I get my MPH in a few years. And in Epidemiology. What programs you got?

how and where do you submit your decision for NYU? I need to decline and i completely forgot to do it earlier
Your acceptance letter has a link to go to, which will give you step by step directions. Pretty much you need to use your student ID number to get your net ID and from there, you can access the NYU Albert (their student online portal) and make your decision.

Hey guys. Is there an UNC MPH forum?

Super excited to say that as of today, I have officially accepted admission at UNC Chapel Hill for the Public Health Leadership MPH!! I will be deferring my enrollment to Fall of 2019 for work and family reasons, but am SO PUMPED to join the Tar Heel family next year!!

Also for anyone reading this next year - hopefully these two situations give you a little bit of hope:

I received a merit scholarship offer from UNC on Monday 4/23, a month after getting my admission decision, so don’t give up hope entirely about additional financial aid this late in the game!

Also - UCLA’s Health Policy Management program was my other top choice, and frustratingly after they had returned absolutely zero phone calls or emails over the past two months, I finally just learned at 7 PM last night (4/26) that I was offered admission. A little peeved it took them SO long past the usual 4/15 deadline with NO communication. I had been torn between UCLA and UNC as my top programs and I think if UCLA had admitted me before I knew about UNC’s scholarship, I probably would have immediately accepted, but their abysmal communication lost me as an interested applicant.

Oh well... UNC 2019!! Whoo!!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard anything from Columbia since April 15?

Did you apply and not hear anything? From what I understand, folks heard from Columbia a while back. You should have a portal you log into that updates you on your status.

Super excited to say that as of today, I have officially accepted admission at UNC Chapel Hill for the Public Health Leadership MPH!! I will be deferring my enrollment to Fall of 2019 for work and family reasons, but am SO PUMPED to join the Tar Heel family next year!!

Also for anyone reading this next year - hopefully these two situations give you a little bit of hope:

I received a merit scholarship offer from UNC on Monday 4/23, a month after getting my admission decision, so don’t give up hope entirely about additional financial aid this late in the game!

Also - UCLA’s Health Policy Management program was my other top choice, and frustratingly after they had returned absolutely zero phone calls or emails over the past two months, I finally just learned at 7 PM last night (4/26) that I was offered admission. A little peeved it took them SO long past the usual 4/15 deadline with NO communication. I had been torn between UCLA and UNC as my top programs and I think if UCLA had admitted me before I knew about UNC’s scholarship, I probably would have immediately accepted, but their abysmal communication lost me as an interested applicant.

Oh well... UNC 2019!! Whoo!!
I'm deferring my enrollment to fall 2019 as well! :D I have a feeling that this year is going to go by fast and before you know it, we'll be starting grad school already. Lol :p

Just stopping by to congratulate everyone on all their success!! You’re going to be amazing public health advocates, and I can’t wait to meet ya’ll in future years to come :clap: Go public health:highfive:!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Withdrawing my acceptances to all MPH programs (Columbia, Yale, Mount Sinai, Brown, and CUNY). Hopefully, those seats and scholarships will benefit anyone still awaiting final decisions!

Reactions: 2 users
I had a friend (not on SDN to my knowledge) who was accepted to the CSUN online MPH program maybe within the last week or two.

Ok cool, I'm applying for an on campus degree so our notifications will probably come later, thanks for the reply!

Am I the only one anxious about going back to school after a few years out? Ahhhhh. So excited & yet so nervous!!!

Also, planning a cross-country move is crazy! I have literally no energy to focus on my current job haha

Reactions: 8 users
Am I the only one anxious about going back to school after a few years out? Ahhhhh. So excited & yet so nervous!!!

Also, planning a cross-country move is crazy! I have literally no energy to focus on my current job haha
YES. so so much! My advisor has already sent me papers to read and wants to discuss thesis topics "soon"...holy cow, it definitely feels real now! Ahh!

It's weird to say but I'm still nervous to start grad school even though I'm deferring for a year; however, at the same time, I'm so anxious and excited that I wish I was starting tomorrow...as crazy as that sounds! lol :p

I'll be spending this next year exploring different jobs within public health and hopefully my department, so I can come into my program having a pretty good idea of what kind of career and workplace I want to gain experience in and work at after graduation. :)

Not sure if I’m just being overly anxious but is it normal to have not heard anything from your school since submitting the admissions deposit? (referring to Harvard specifically if there are any other future Harvard grad students in this thread!)

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if I’m just being overly anxious but is it normal to have not heard anything from your school since submitting the admissions deposit? (referring to Harvard specifically if there are any other future Harvard grad students in this thread!)
Yeah, I think it's pretty normal. I don't know about Harvard but Emory starts sending out information regarding orientation and enrollment late May I believe. You can try emailing/calling admissions about orientation information and any further instructions. :)

Has anyone gotten money from Emory's travel grant yet? o_O

They're currently processing all the paperwork and they'll contact us if there are any issues with our forms. :)
If I received an email about how to solve errors in the receipt, but not an email about *having an error*, does that mean mine was fine? That was a confusing email.