MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that got into GW, how long did it take for you to hear back, from the time your got the confirmation email for GW that they received your completed application to when you got the admission email? Thanks!

For me it was 8 weeks, but I really think other departments are faster. I applied for Maternal and Child Health

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In at Columbia for HCP and Management

Reactions: 3 users
For those that got into GW, how long did it take for you to hear back, from the time your got the confirmation email for GW that they received your completed application to when you got the admission email? Thanks!
check my initial stats post

JUST GOT INTO COLUMBIA - Department of Population and Family Health with a certificate in Global Health

I really can’t believe since I totally bombed the GREs (had 155 on both quant and verbal)!!! Eeeek nothing’s impossible guys!!

Admitted to BU today! For those wondering, my SOPHAS app was verified on 12/6 and I received an email from the school stating my app was complete on 12/13.

Reactions: 2 users
What does it mean if I haven't heard anything from Columbia / was it through email or a portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody from hear back from Global Health Epidemiology and Disease Control from GW?

Accepted into Columbia's Epi program with a certificate in Infectious Disease. :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
In at Columbia for epi with certificate in infectious disease!!

What does it mean if I haven't heard anything from Columbia / was it through email or a portal?

It was a email that stated that a decision had been made on the portal and the admit letter was actually on the portal itself!

It was a email that stated that a decision had been made on the portal and the admit letter was actually on the portal itself!
I never received information for a portal. When were you sent this?

The portal only originated with the decision email, I didn't have anything before this evening!

They sent an email saying that “A decision has been posted to your applicant status page.” And they sent a pin as login info to access the portal with the decision.

Congrats to everyone in at Columbia. Still haven't heard anything from them... Holding my breath :nailbiting:

In at Columbia for Sociomedical Sciences and in at Hopkins for the MSPH in Population, Family, & Reproductive Health!

I was just accepted to the University of Washington Public Health Genomics MS in Genetic Epidemiology.

Undergrad School: University of Washington
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5 overall, 3.7 major
Major/Minor: double major in Public Health / Medical Anthropology & Global Health
GRE
(including date taken): 2017, 165Q 167V 5AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 5 years of work experience in the industrial hygiene field, 3 years of work experience in the field of consumer genomics

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): UW MPH Epidemiology 12/1, Harvard Epidemiology 12/1, UW MS Genetic Epidemiology (1/1)
Accepted: UW MS Genetic Epidemiology (1/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Wasn't planning on posting because everyone's stats are so amazing, and mine are a little more average (with very little experience). But since I've received a few acceptances (and a HUGE long shot with Columbia), hopefully I can serve as a little confidence boost to someone else!

Undergrad School: Small, private university in the Northeast
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.45 (SOPHAS verified to be 3.47 because of transfer credits I guess)
Major/Minor: Neuroscience
GRE (including date taken): V: 158, Q: 155, AW: 4.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 1 year research assistant in language and memory lab
  • 1 semester research studying short and long term dopamine release in sugar addicted ants
  • 3 months internship with a non-profit in people operations dept.
  • 4 months internship with a non-profit in the grants management dept.
  • 1 year as a peer health educator for university’s health and wellness center
  • 2 years as captain of the equestrian team
  • volunteer with equine therapy
Applied (verified date): GWU [Global Health Epi and Disease Control] (11/21), Columbia [Epi with Global Health certificate] (11/21), Boston U [Epi with Global Health certificate] (11/28), UIC [Epi] (11/28), Yale [Chronic Disease Epi] (11/28), EuroPubHealth (1/5), University of Geneva (1/21)
Accepted: GWU (12/18), BU +12K (12/21), Columbia (1/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

1. Undergrad School: Large State School
    Undergrad GPA: 3.64
    Major/Minor: Public Health
    GRE: Taken 10/2015 - Q: 152 V: 152 W: 4
    Experience/Research (please, be brief):
    1. 1.5 years as Community Health Worker for a HRSA-funded grant. Worked towards improving birth outcomes in racial/ethnic minority women by providing perinatal education, home visits, planning/conducting community outreach events and serving as a bridge between the community and the social/health services available.
    2. 1.5 years working at a national research funder that funds research to address/eliminate health/healthcare disparities. In this position, I assist with portfolio analysis and support several clusters of funded studies including the community health worker portfolio, the asthma portfolio (focused on African Americans, Hispanics/Latinos) and the telehealth portfolio.

LOR: Director of a health system, two professors from undergrad
  • Interested in: Addressing Disparities, Social Determinants of Health, Comparative Effectiveness, EBPs, Rapid-cycle research, implementation science, evidence synthesis and patient/stakeholder engagement within interventions

Applied: Harvard - Health and Social Behavior (12/1), Columbia - Sociomedical Sciences (12/1), Boston U- Design and Conduct of Public Health Research (12/18), GWU- Community Oriented Primary Care (12/15), and Yale- Social & Behavioral Sciences (12/15)

Accepted: Yale (accepted 1/8), GWU (accepted 1/10), BU (accepted 1/22)
    Interview:
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:
Weird, we have the exact same GRE scores. But my GPA is much lower. Good luck with admissions!

Congrats on those who got into Columbia and other awesome schools! I'm still waiting on 3 more schools, including my top choice Emory. I heard from one of the 4 schools I applied to pretty early on, so at least i have a nice back up if things don't go my way in these next coming weeks. Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, has anyone heard from Tulane or GW about financial aid information? Congrats to everyone getting accepted!

why in the world would your top choice be emory?
I like the fact that it's next door to CDC, which is basically my dream workplace since high school. :-D It has plentiful amount of resouces and connections in the public health arena...at least in my opinion and observation from the website. lol

Reactions: 12 users
Also, for those of you waiting on Colorado, I emailed them about when to expect a response and they informed me that they'll start releasing decsions 2-4 weeks after the priority dealine (1/15)

Also, for those of you waiting on Colorado, I emailed them about when to expect a response and they informed me that they'll start releasing decsions 2-4 weeks after the priority dealine (1/15)
thanks for checking in! hoping for a good news for both of us :)

I like the fact that it's next door to CDC, which is basically my dream workplace since high school. :-D It has plentiful amount of resouces and connections in the public health arena...at least in my opinion and observation from the website. lol

I completely agree. One of my good friends is in her first year there and already has a research position at the CDC. I wish it could be my number one but because of the lack of financial aid that they offer, I don't know.

I'm still waiting to hear from Yale. That's my number one, but I feel like skeptical now, since I've seen others get in.

Did anyone who got into Johns Hopkins full time MPH email professors or department heads? Before, during, or after you applied? Just curious if that made a difference. Thanks
I got accepted to John Hopkins in December for MPH in Epi. I didn’t message anyone, but I’m still waiting for financial aid.

In at Harvard online-on campus EPI program!!

Also got into UTHeath, John Hopkins, Boston, Pittsburgh, Minnesota and now Harvard.

Could someone help me out with choosing a college. I got financial aid at Boston but that doesn’t seem to cut it. I would to focus on cancer epidemiology and more from a research stand point.

John Hopkins is the best but I’m worried the 11 month program will be too difficult plus the tuition cost. Minnesota is more community focused.

Any idea on how is Pittsburgh and UTHealth Houston. (Haven’t seen anyone applied to these schools)

I got accepted to Columbia on the Health Policy Analysis track!

I completely agree. One of my good friends is in her first year there and already has a research position at the CDC. I wish it could be my number one but because of the lack of financial aid that they offer, I don't know.

I'm still waiting to hear from Yale. That's my number one, but I feel like skeptical now, since I've seen others get in.
Oh wow. They don't offer grants and scholarships?

I know exactly how you feel. Seeing people get into Emory over the past month have made me feel a little discouraged and doubtful that I'll get in because their stats and experience are way above mine. I try not to compare myself to others and I'm holding on to optimism and hope! Good luck to you!

In at Harvard online-on campus EPI program!!

Also got into UTHeath, John Hopkins, Boston, Pittsburgh, Minnesota and now Harvard.

Could someone help me out with choosing a college. I got financial aid at Boston but that doesn’t seem to cut it. I would to focus on cancer epidemiology and more from a research stand point.

John Hopkins is the best but I’m worried the 11 month program will be too difficult plus the tuition cost. Minnesota is more community focused.

Any idea on how is Pittsburgh and UTHealth Houston. (Haven’t seen anyone applied to these schools)
Pittsburgh basically told me that I would need to fund myself (and my expected contribution is $0 and I'm from a low income family). But they told me if I was in the first 50% of people that accept their offer I would get a one time scholarship of $1000!!! How generous!!!! Not.

why in the world would your top choice be emory?
On top of this being super rude, like others have pointed out, it also just doesn't make sense -- Emory is a great school! Personally, I'm primarily concerned with selecting a program that will give me the skills I need to help improve public health without shouldering debt for decades.

Oh wow. They don't offer grants and scholarships?

I know exactly how you feel. Seeing people get into Emory over the past month have made me feel a little discouraged and doubtful that I'll get in because their stats and experience are way above mine. I try not to compare myself to others and I'm holding on to optimism and hope! Good luck to you!
I've been passed over by Emory seemingly too (almost to 8 weeks...) but got into Yale and Columbia hahaha

On top of this being super rude, like others have pointed out, it also just doesn't make sense -- Emory is a great school! Personally, I'm primarily concerned with selecting a program that will give me the skills I need to help improve public health without shouldering debt for decades.

Don't feed the tr011 :p And same here! I just want the content but also a lot of hard skills, to be in a prime location for internships and jobs and not be paying off my debt into my 50s